Home General Discussion

Smart phone recommendations

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
currently using a Iphone 5 and I am thinking of upgrading. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should consider purchasing?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What country? What phone provider? What do you use it for? What's your budget? Are you going to use a contract or pay for the phone all at once?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Currently using the HTC One M8 and can confidently say it is the most reliable, powerful, and well rounded smart phone I have used to date. Nothing but good things to say. Not sure what the options are in Straya but I am currently on Sprint's network (P.O.S. for the most part, has its perks, but constantly have weird network related quirks that Spring refuses to address).
  • Punio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the Samsung Note 4 and it's huge, too huge. But the Amoled screen is gorgeous, and while my battery isn't as good as the average 7hrs, mine is 4, I still only charge once every two days. I previously had the iPhone 5 and I can say Android is superior, but not to the extent some fan boys rave about. Just my two pence, hope it's of help.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Nexus 5 is great if you want to save some money and don't want a contract.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the Nexus 5 is a great budget phone. It will always have stock Android, and the latest version, so it's nice getting new features first.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I use a Nokia Windows Phone, I love it, the camera is great, better then most Androids and iPhones, there are not as many apps, but quality over quantity is key.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the note makes a nice riot shield. you can also use it as bridge to cross small chasms...or use it as roof for an emergency shelter. It's just huge and the latest craze among the phone zombies walking on the street.

Seriously, it should be quite neat if it's snappier than the Note 1 I had. The pen was a nice addon for sketching on the go - really loved that, but it had some lag. This, and buying apps twice (for my iPad) made me switch back to iOS. If it weren't for that, I'd consider a Note again.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I'm currently using a Lumia 520, w/Windows 8.1 which I can't say anything against it. It's ancient hardware, though, but if you're willing to try WP, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the Lumia series.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    If you like drawing go for a note 3-4, it's not perfect but it's the best pen experience.

Me personally I'm holding off on phones until Windows 10 gets some devices. It seems they're unifying the OS for phones too so i'm excited about that (please have a pen).
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Punio wrote: »
    I have the Samsung Note 4 and it's huge, too huge. But the Amoled screen is gorgeous, and while my battery isn't as good as the average 7hrs, mine is 4, I still only charge once every two days. I previously had the iPhone 5 and I can say Android is superior, but not to the extent some fan boys rave about. Just my two pence, hope it's of help.

I was specifically looking at this one and I really don't have a budget. I currently live in Australia and I will probably just go prepaid on my phone, so I'm not locked into a contract.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL wrote: »
    I'm currently using a Lumia 520, w/Windows 8.1 which I can't say anything against it. It's ancient hardware, though, but if you're willing to try WP, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the Lumia series.

The Lumia series is nice, I own a 1520, really sweet :)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    The Lumia series is nice, I own a 1520, really sweet :)
    Lumia 800 and now a 630 :)

If windows phone is an option for sziada i would recommend the lumia 830 or the 930 both have actual hardware and really good cameras so you can shoot some reference photos when you don´t got your camera with you :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    one plus one. 320 euro . super fast and reliable. http://www.trustedreviews.com/oneplus-one-review
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki wrote: »
    Lumia 800 and now a 630 :)

If windows phone is an option for sziada i would recommend the lumia 830 or the 930 both have actual hardware and really good cameras so you can shoot some reference photos when you don´t got your camera with you :)

I can shoot RAW, since I don't have a digital camera, besides a point and shoot, I use my phone as my digital camera, the resolution is nearly as good as most digital cameras. :) And to boot I have some really good games, they look Xbox quality :)
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Gonna join in with Nexus 5 also, cheaper than most and very good. Just don't drop it like I did
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Galaxy S5 here. After previously being an iphone user, this phone is an epiphany.

It's huge though, nice for viewing, but cumbersome at times.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I had the HTC M8 but returned it for Iphone.... Previously on Galaxy S5.

I stand when I take the bus so I needed a phone I could hold with 1hand. Also, I love using it for taking picture when I don't have my camera.

For those 2 main reason, it was worth taking the Iphone, even tho the software is POS
  • DShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DShepard polycounter lvl 10
    I just got the xperia Z3 compact, and I really like it. I have fairly tiny hands so a small phone is a must. It's got a really nice camera as well.

The only thing I dislike is Sonys android skin, it's pretty terrible.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    +1 for onePlus One. It's a fantastic phone, super good value for money, excellent battery life, loads of awesome features and it's only about $300 for 64G of space. Only downside depending on your view of marketing methods is you can only buy it through an invite system. Or you can do an alternative method, this is not an orthodox way, you can buy one from Hong Kong through a re-seller, flash CyanogenMod onto it and then use it like normal. Flashing it voids the warranty and all other customer support you might get though as long as you're fine with that.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for onePlus One. It's a fantastic phone, super good value for money, excellent battery life, loads of awesome features and it's only about $300 for 64G of space. Only downside depending on your view of marketing methods is you can only buy it through an invite system. Or you can do an alternative method, this is not an orthodox way, you can buy one from Hong Kong through a re-seller, flash CyanogenMod onto it and then use it like normal. Flashing it voids the warranty and all other customer support you might get though as long as you're fine with that.

I'll put that in laymen terms; buy at your own risk :)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up going with Galaxy note 4 and honestly I am thrilled with it, I wanted to thank you guys for your suggestions in helping me make my purchase