Home General Discussion

Penn on Gaming

I came across this the other day and thought it was pretty awesome.

IpIZs.jpg

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Well... Grateful Dead > Superman64
  • SgtNasty
    Penn is awesome. Great quote.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SKxL9CnW0"]Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil (Studio Version) - YouTube[/ame]

I like the grateful dead :/
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I like the grateful dead :/

perhaps he hasn't listened to them enough to get them.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think that's the irony he's getting at...
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome! Shame about the typos.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    A smart grownup - those are rare these days:)
    he's pretty spot on.

Though it did take me like a minute of "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" to interest me enough to eventually get hooked on Dylan for life.

Just pimping Bob Dylan here:) Just in case;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    There is a difference between a Nerd and a Geek, Penn.

A Geek is someone who goes to watch Star-Wars at a reasonable hour, and gets a nice seat if available and goes home later on.

A Nerd is someone who dresses up as Darth-Vader, goes to the Midnight Screening, takes the most horrible seats regardless of availability, watches it 3 times in a row, goes home, and complains about it on the internet till the early hour of the mornings and cares who shot first in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I wouldn't exactly pride myself being called a Nerd.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dont forget to spend five hours juggling too, guys!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

A Geek is someone who goes to watch Star-Wars at a reasonable hour, and gets a nice seat if available and goes home later on.

A Nerd is someone who dresses up as Darth-Vader, goes to the Midnight Screening, takes the most horrible seats regardless of availability, watches it 3 times in a row, goes home, and complains about it on the internet till the early hour of the mornings and cares who shot first in the grand scheme of things.

I always made the distinction that nerds were just smarter variations of geeks, but I like your analogy better.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Nerd and geek are basically meaningless and largely interchangeable words at this point. I used to feel the exact same way before I realized that nobody beyond myself and a bunch of neck bearded whiners were the only ones who cared about the distinction and pretty much everybody else just used the words to mean "Socially awkward people who play video games and don't go outside enough."

They're both terms that have completely lost any distinct meaning in all but the most technical of discussions (a geek was someone who bit heads off live chickens in sideshows, for example).

So, basically, stop being butthurt and actually use your eyes and brain so you can read what the guy said instead of latching onto a meaningless term that offends you for no reason.
  • WarrenM
    Dont forget to spend five hours juggling too, guys!
    I don't mean to nitpick this but ... where does he advocate that, exactly?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Nerd and geek are basically meaningless and largely interchangeable words at this point. I used to feel the exact same way before I realized that nobody beyond myself and a bunch of neck bearded whiners were the only ones who cared about the distinction and pretty much everybody else just used the words to mean "Socially awkward people who play video games and don't go outside enough."

They're both terms that have completely lost any distinct meaning in all but the most technical of discussions (a geek was someone who bit heads off live chickens in sideshows, for example).

So, basically, stop being butthurt and actually use your eyes and brain so you can read what the guy said instead of latching onto a meaningless term that offends you for no reason.

although i agree with you to apoint... people give words meaning and if a word means something to you...you cant be incorrect...you be against the grain language changes like a flock of starlings in flight.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't mean to nitpick this but ... where does he advocate that, exactly?

He doesnt. Considering he's a professional at the top of the world as a juggler and a magician, i think its implied that the time was well spent. :p

Juggling, for us, of course, is art!
  • WarrenM
    I guess I'm not grasping your point. Carry on. :)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When it comes to videogames, who gives a shit what Penn has to say? Yes, he's saying a positive message for us but if it were a negative one, the reply would be 'Its Penn, who gives a shit?'

The gaming community is an odd bunch. Fuck you if you're against us, yay if you're for us, regardless of your credentials.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Penn is a pretty interesting individual and he's great to listen to regarding social and cultural topics. It's not so much that I'm interested about his opinion, it's how he presents the situation. He's also a comedian in a sense, so it's always fun to hear from comics. It's the same thing with Joe Rogan.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    When it comes to videogames, who gives a shit what Penn has to say? Yes, he's saying a positive message for us but if it were a negative one, the reply would be 'Its Penn, who gives a shit?'

The gaming community is an odd bunch. Fuck you if you're against us, yay if you're for us, regardless of your credentials.

Ad Hominem goes both ways. Doesn't matter if someone's for or against, their argument should be judged based on its merits, not the person's. IMO, we just generally shouldn't disregard anyone's point just because they don't live up to some arbitrary standard of credentials. ;)

In other words - I give a shit what Penn says, and agree with it in this case. Just like I give a shit what others says, even when I disagree with them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Geek: a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Nerd: an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

So it seems like nerd fits the best? But I agree with Penn's main point, practice and obsession can get you pretty far. It can also get you a restraining order and a bunk on death row... so yea not always a positive thing.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    *woosh* I'm dense, thanks almighty

I have no idea where this is going but here we go:
    http://vimeo.com/15432053
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    wise words. too many people nowadays don't dare to say "I don't know" and shut up and instead blart out whatever uninformed opinion they have because you know, you gotta have an opinion nowadays.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Ad Hominem goes both ways. Doesn't matter if someone's for or against, their argument should be judged based on its merits, not the person's. IMO, we just generally shouldn't disregard anyone's point just because they don't live up to some arbitrary standard of credentials. ;)

In other words - I give a shit what Penn says, and agree with it in this case. Just like I give a shit what others says, even when I disagree with them.

There's a huge difference between opinion and informed opinion. One is easily entertained while the other can be heavily considered. So while I can appreciate the opinion, in the grand scheme of things - for me personally - his really doesn't matter.

2 cents.

EDIT: I should also note that I don't disagree with what he's saying. It would just weigh heavily with me.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between opinion and informed opinion. One is easily entertained while the other can be heavily considered. So while I can appreciate the opinion, in the grand scheme of things - for me personally - his really doesn't matter.

2 cents.

EDIT: I should also note that I don't disagree with what he's saying. It would just weigh heavily with me.

I understand that, my point is that arbitrarily assigning credentials to a person and placing those credentials before the argument is ad hominem. It's putting the emphasis on the person, not the argument. It's also not useful. There are many examples of people who don't have traditional "credentials", but are well informed and make well thought out arguments. There are also a lot of examples of "experts" who can't form a proper argument on a subject at all. So credentials are more or less meaningless. What isn't meaningless is the content of someone's argument.

To discount someones argument just because they don't work in the industry is pretty well pointless. You aren't limiting yourself to only well informed arguments that way, but you are excluding many well thought out arguments from outside of the space.

tl;dr: "Credentials" are meaningless and arbitrary, it's the content of an argument that matters, and how well or misinformed the argument is. It only hurts the dialogue to discount certain opinions based on perceived credentials.