Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Chen - TBD

Replies

• DanBe
    Oh wow the first "Chen" Model for this competition! Will look forward to see what you can come up with!
  • shanks37
    yeah! Chen finally gettin some love!
  • ra_hammerhead
    Hey guys,

Here is what I came up with at the moment. I suppose I cannot modify base texture, and this is really getting me into a problem. I am still deciding how to fit everything into limits.
  • ra_hammerhead
    Also there will be an armor for the mount and a weapon as well. I might also consider changing mount if there will be time for it.
  • DD-best-D
    Things to consider.

Chen is a ranged hero.
    His default weapon is a staff, not a physical projectile.

Chen is also from a desert-based tribe.
    Possible ideas for color/pallet.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Chen

Chen's main ability is converting enemy/neutral minions to fight for his side instead.

Please use this information when working on this project.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    ^ I fail to see his point. All you have to do is give him a staff. These armor sets look amazing and his original is armored similar to these.

I like #1 the most but either is bad ass, just good luck with the poly count.
    Can't wait to see more of this!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Those concepts are amazing!

I'd be careful with the one on the left as it looks very reminiscent of War from Darksiders.
  • DD-best-D
    Clyptic wrote: »
    ^ I fail to see his point. All you have to do is give him a staff. These armor sets look amazing and his original is armored similar to these.

I like #1 the most but either is bad ass, just good luck with the poly count.
    Can't wait to see more of this!

The point is the second set actually looks like armor someone in dota or real life would use.

Armor #1 looks like some anime/warhammer 40k tau cross over.
    Chen isn't some space warrior with a harem of clumsy overly-flirtatious space princesses who look like they should belong in middle school.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    DD-best-D wrote: »
    The point is the second set actually looks like armor someone in dota or real life would use.

Armor #1 looks like some anime/warhammer 40k tau cross over.
    Chen isn't some space warrior with a harem of clumsy overly-flirtatious space princesses who look like they should belong in middle school.

The thing is...the prize for this contest is based on how many people buy your armor...I would totally buy either of these.

If anything he just needs slight modifications.
  • DD-best-D
    Clyptic wrote: »
    The thing is...the prize for this contest is based on how many people buy your armor...I would totally buy either of these.

If anything he just needs slight modifications.

After seeing how most the 'artists' hear respond to criticism, I don't any of them are older than fourteen, or actually had an art teacher with a spine, or wanted them actually improve.
    So the prize you're basically competing for is the same prize people who enter their work the steam workshop.

The only real difference is, the steam workshop entries actually have to go through community votes to get in, it seems like everyone in this contest gets a free pass.

And then the only real difference is Valve is giving an extra 5% of the sales from their pocket to polycount.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    A lot of your criticisms are valid DD-best-D but you're coming across like you have a chip on your shoulder.

What is your intention? If it's to make these concepts better then I'm all for it but if you just want to shit on everyone whose items don't entirely fit the world and style of Dota 2 then I think your efforts will be in vain since if they don't fit then Valve won't chose them for the game and you get what you wanted anyway.
  • DD-best-D
    I've pointed out to quite a few people that their works are good, and recommended a few ways to possibly improve them while it still being for the same hero, without changing much of their ideas.

Even positive criticism can be bad criticism.
    Just saying "that's good" can be bad since you're not pointing out the specifics of what the artist is doing right.

Yes, I want people to make better concepts/models, I have nothing to gain from them making poor items.
    I just wish people would actually look at the game before going off and making something that doesn't make any sense for that character at all.
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I quite like both of these but the more subdued armor suits the game and the character better. You could probably borrow a few things from the more elaborate concept though, like the glowing blue bits and such. He is one of the dorkiest looking good heroes IMO, so I could actually see myself picking up this set at some point.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    DD- The problem as i see it is, many of your comments even when they do contain relevant information are antagonistic and condescending. This ends up not only creating negative opinion about you, but the subject you are attempting to convey.

My other issues are this is a creative competition, people are supposed to push the boundary's and try new things. Sure some entrants will overstep the line, but that's the nature of contests like this and i think its important to encourage creativity instead of stomping it out.
  • agentfx
    I don't think DD sounds mean or anything. When you post to steam workshop you'll get real criticism and then some (just plain mean, hah) better to hear it here and sooner.

Its going to be rough doing those designs. Chen only has arms, shoulder, and head slots.
  • Managor
    Agentfx's got a point. That person that designed the ursa set got a really big piece of the community's hate on himself.

As for the concept themselves, can't see anything that's strongly wrong in them. I'd say go on and we'll see how the models and textures work.
  • ra_hammerhead
    Thanks for the discussion, tips and feedback everyone. I really appreciate your help and interest!

An idea is to develop concept art from the left side to Inquisition type armor. It will merge into Chen's game image well I believe.

And since we are limited to making head, shoulders, arms, and misc pieces for Chen himself, excluding weapon and mount, I've modified concept a little bit and tried to fit into those logical elements. I plan to make boots and kneepad a misc element.

Concept will be further developed and might be simplified to match every piece' polycount.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Still love it! I would suggest changing the white of the new design to match his chest piece a bit better. Also the knee pads and arms need some gold trim. The Misc poly count is pretty low so if you only have enough for one, I'd go with knee pads over boots.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the concept and 3D!
  • ra_hammerhead
    Thanks, Clyptic.

Actually what you stated about correctin whites is what I am concerned about at the moment. Currently, I'll try to play up with colors(materials) to achive a combination of chens-like metal and ivory and see if this works.

And seems to me that is a good idea to go with knee pads instead of shin armor if I won't make it to the misc restrictions. Thanks for that!
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    i like the left side the most!
    the curves going up does change his origial silouette but I think it makes him look more awesome, more royal, so that's a good thing!

it sucks that you can't do a breastplate and leg armor bc those design where really good
    would be awesome if you could put some of that in the misc slot
  • Graham
    I also like the left shoulders better. Much more epic! You are heading in the right direction I think.
  • Frut
    Offline / Send Message
    Frut polycounter lvl 11
    Great concepts. Left shoulders +1:) Also like armlets from the first picture (right one).
  • SpaceCentipede
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good, keep move. Emmm is this allowded to change mount creature?
    Малаца.
  • Okoo
    Nice, but dont go to much into the powerangers mode .. :p the concept on the right (on the second picture) is enough and really nice.
  • ra_hammerhead
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice looking staff and his mounts helm is pretty cool too. I can't really say much on big wing in back, strange angle that doesn't give it justice.
  • ra_hammerhead
    Some tweaks, concerned about the horn still.
  • metaD
    Nice shapes and idea !
    I think you should carefully studying the material you use for the armor and staff, It is Ivory ? Metal ? I don't understand the material is made of :x
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    This is crazy. I will play chen only for this set!