Home Dota 2

Meshroom's Workshop

Lastest submission

Lion - Infernal Eye

youtube_screen.jpg

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

Vengeful Spirit - Dark Throne

youtube_screen.jpg

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

Slark - Ocean Conqueror

youtube_screen.jpg

Replies

• Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    6D? :poly115: lol Ya this place is amazing for Dota item creators. Nice set.
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, sry i just made it up, bcz my job is a programmer so I count it as 1D (101010stuff), :D
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Don't forget that you have to remove logo's on the marketing file. Other than that, the only thing that I don't like is how dark the edges of the flaming fins get.

Neat work.
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, I've been working on a Vengeful Spirit set, here is a rough draft, wip coming~

forumn_01.jpg
  • FudgieWudgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang that weapon looks sweet
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    i really like the weapon too~~ hope to see it in game~~
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get used to start modeling with Max instead of using zbrush. I think I'm an old school 3d-er at last :D . Anyways I like it better because it gives me the greatest flexibility of handling polygons and uv. I think a good uv layout is the key to preserve details for low polygon model. Retopology and uvmaster can't do the job very well.

forumn_02_modeling.jpg

forumn_03_uv.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    aresca wrote: »
    I get used to start modeling with Max instead of using zbrush. I think I'm an old school 3d-er at last :D . Anyways I like it better because it gives me the greatest flexibility of handling polygons and uv. I think a good uv layout is the key to preserve details for low polygon model. Retopology and uvmaster can't do the job very well.

forumn_02_modeling.jpg

forumn_03_uv.jpg

How the heck do you do normals with that process?? Just curious...
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi darkkyo, my next step is to sculpt detail on my basis model using zbrush, but I use xnormal to render normal map because it's more accurate.

forumn_04_zbrush.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    The way he did it was,
    Step 1: Make low poly Low Poly

Step 2: Import to zBrush

Step 3: Sculpt details, (while retaining the overall shape)

Step 4: Then bake maps using the low poly from step 1.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    aresca wrote: »
    Hi darkkyo, my next step is to sculpt detail on my basis model using zbrush, but I use xnormal to render normal map because it's more accurate.

forumn_04_zbrush.jpg

Ahhh, gotcha. At first it sounded like you were doing everything in Max and nothing in Zbrush.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup, it's an interesting process ! Especially since it bypasses the retopo step, reduces the amount of required sculpting and also forces one to focus on the bigger shapes. From the (very little) experience I've had of it, it basically allows one to cut straight to the chase.

The one downside I could see is that it might lock you out of some intricate designs which might seem to be too complex or detailed for a given budget at first glance, but can actually be made to fit thanks to aggressive retopo and manual reduction. As usual, it's all a balancing act ...

Another hybrid approach is to model things in a slightly higher"medium poly" budget, which requires a bit more time in Max/Maya but ultimately reduces the time required for sculpting and retopo. I agree with you in the sense that there is something very satisfying in doing things the oldschool way like that, and it is almost always faster that way too.

Anyways - very cool stuff, loving that big promo image for the Ocean Conqueror !
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector, yeah!

@pior, thanks, you really speak out my thought. I simply use zbrush to draw texture on the 3d object, not shaping it.

There is one thing:
    "The one downside I could see is that it might lock you out of some intricate designs which might seem to be too complex or detailed for a given budget"

You are right, but if a high budget is given, it would be a pain in the ass to retopo a complex object too. In this case I would use zbrush first to quick sculpt a basic shape, then bring it back to max to do all the oldschool process.

another wip:
    forumn_05_texture.jpg
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The in-game promotion art is in progress, I hope this set can be uploaded on Saturday.

youtube_screen.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    promotion gif:
    animation.gif
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    oh damn that looks amazing, great work !
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent work, that gauntlet and the blade are awesome!
  • FudgieWudgie
  • aresca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!
    I've submitted new Lion set, the Infernal Eye. Custom particles and ability are added to the set. Please take a look and leave some comments, cheers! Please support too if you like it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327249107
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327248952
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Just to pick up the workflow discussion again, I was originally taught that way, making a lowpoly, sculpting detail on it, then using that lowpoly to bake to. I found it EXTREMELY limiting when it came to making changes on the fly. Having a UV layout before you head into sculpting means you don't have a lot of flexibility in the creative design department without having to adjust your back-end of UVs/ rest of the lowpoly. Secondly, that workflow completely throws optimization and general best practices of ingame meshes out of the window in favor of short term, mostly insignificant time saving. Retopoly allows you to 100% min-max your lowpoly in a way that the other workflow can't rival. Same goes for baking, a properly retopo'ed mesh will lead to better bakes 99% of the time. So to recap, all that workflow does is move the UV'ing part to the front of the pipeline where it does nothing but limit your options and remove the retopo part which, for Dota, is about 1-2 hours, absolutely insignificant.

Don't get me wrong, doing a lowpoly first and using it as a base is a great way to work, in fact, I use that technique for almost anything that isn't 100% organic in nature. But defining your UVs before you sculpt and baking to your lowpoly comes with so many limitations, creative and technical, that I think the very minor amount of time saved is not worth it.