Home Technical Talk

A couple of Unity questions

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
I have recently started working more with Unity engine. It's rather fun to work with so far and an easy to use editor. However coming from an Unreal engine environment it's a big change. So naturally I have a few questions:

- How do you setup the grid to be smaller? It's so large compared to my models, or am I just making them really small? If so, what size in max units should they be?

- In Unreal you have a skylight is there something similiar in Unity?

- How exactly do you instance models in Unity? I'm pretty sure copy>paste as I do now isn't the way to go about it.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I get along. But getting awnsers on these in the meanwhile would be great. :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    1. You can edit Snap Settings under Edit>Snap Settings, and hold control while transforming to snap.

2. By default unity applies a 0.01 scale multiplyer to imported models. You can change this in the import settings for the model. You always want to setup your scene so that 1 unit is equal to 1 meter, if you dont your physics (mostly gravity) wont work realistically.

3. Im not sure exactly what you mean by this question. If you want to duplicate a GameObject with a mesh attached to it dust press ctrl+d with it selected. If your referring to making sure unity is using the same mesh data across your entire scene then you dont really need to worry about that. You can see what mesh an object uses in the MeshFilter component on the object. You should note that if you access a mesh through script it will create new mesh data unless you access sharedMesh variables.