Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4R4 - undo crtl + Z hotkey don't work

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
-Em'- polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

I'm facing a heavy problem in Zbrush 4R4.
I can't use the normal ctrl + Z hotkey to undo my work. Nothing happen.

I also see that the old undo and redo buttons were disabled, the only thing that I can use is the history timeline (manualy with mouse) or the "undo 1, 2, 3, 4, etc" button.

When i try to reassign to undo 1, it only affect the first action, so it's useless.

Any solution ?

Replies

• Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I am also facing the exact same problem. No matter how many times I assign "Ctrl+Z" as a hotkey for Undo, it doesn't work (or it may work but only once as in just for the last action; cannot undo more than once). Here's hoping somebody has a workaround regarding this issue.
  • TNO
    stupid idea..

it could be because of the keyboard language (turned to english?)
    try to press ctrl+y

if that works the keyboard might be changed to english

to solve press

shift+alt
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    It's not about keyboard language... I deletes this funcionality long time ago :p
    Everything seems to work, but the ctrl + z is just disabled. And i Can't or don't know how to turn it on.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    not sure how configuration/language-specific this is but you could try inserting these lines into your ZStartup\HotKeys\StartupHotkeys.txt:

[EDIT:UNDO,634] // Ctrl+Z
    [EDIT:TOOL:UNDO,634] // Ctrl+Z
  • Chubbydan
    Offline / Send Message
    Chubbydan polycounter lvl 13
    My 2 pence is I've also encountered during R3, I've learned to be so perfect I no longer need undo.

Actually it's a massive pain no undo, colleague with same spec machine and software does not get this issue. Continues to baffle.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Got that too.
    There is a fix that does always work for me.

When you open Zbrush, your doc is empty, right? draw a cube, a ring or any other standard tool. Hit edit and make a polymesh. Press ctrl-Z.

Then load your tool you want to work with.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I always start with a new document even if ZBrush just started, I haven't yet run into this problem but a solution would be best in case I ever do.
    ^Try that I guess.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    was having the same problem actually. I have kb shortcuts assigned for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,-, and + for the brushes. I don't know if that is conflicting with it or not..
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Reinstalled? Patched? New Document without anything in it? Enable/Disable History?
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    It is 4R4p2.

THanks Thomasp, seems like to work. I'll try by the end of the week to test further if the bug is still here or not, but that lines in hotkeys file seem to fix it.

If bug persist i'll try "Make polymesh solution" ^^

Thanks all !
  • god3ila
    Offline / Send Message
    god3ila polycounter lvl 10
    Same issue here. C86G is right. That's the only way I've found to avoid the problem too. Load any primitive, and then load the Ztool.
    But if anyone knows from where it comes, that would be great. Does your Ztools comes from an older version of ZBrush? They are for me.
    Does everyone with this bug have their own shortcuts set up? It's the case for me.
    Does anyone have tried to save a subtool from scratch with the 4R4 version and reload it?
  • CGKuki
    Solution: ctrl + shift enables and disables the keyboard shortcuts, just like in 3ds max :)
  • a49316
    In my case,

It makes by "CustomUserInterface",

1.It course by the "Load tool" in my CustomUserInterface,I Delete it in all my CustomUserInterface,and works well.

2.Delete the "CustomUserInterface4R4.cfg" in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZStartup",and then it will be Ok.(I am using WIN7).

3.Delete the follow 4 files in "c:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZStartup\",if you have any problem with your interface:(I am using WIN7).

CustomUserInterface4R4.cfg

ZBrushUIGroupsStatus.cfg
    ZBrushWindowStartupSize.cfg

StartupHotkeys

GOOD LUCK.
  • Sith Happens.
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Don't need to delete your files actually.
    I had success simply saving my hot-keys file, opening it and adding:
    [EDIT:REDO,890] // Ctrl+Shift+Z
    [EDIT:TOOL:REDO,890] // Ctrl+Shift+Z

Also, hit the "store" button after wards so it loads each time. ;)

*update*
    Also also.. set the hotkey.txt file to read only, it seems to want to rewrite it all the time. This is working for me so far! :D
  • dagonbloom
    hi, im new here in polycount. i have the same problem as you guys where the shortcuts were pretty messed up, i solve mine when i was tweaking with the hotkeys, the "bug" seems to stem with the installation of zbrush into another folder or disk drive. i have installed mine in D: and this makes zbrush create a subfolder in a user document folder in C: (default installation path), check your hotkey load, store and save path. you should redirect zbrush to your preffered Zstartup/hotkeys.txt folder to solve this problem. have a nice day.
  • Burmaju
    Heres what fixed it for me.

Skype was using ctrl z as a hotkey for mute.
    as soon as I changed it, undo hotkey started working.

its was also was messing with my matrix 7 undo, it also fixed that.
  • hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp said:
    not sure how configuration/language-specific this is but you could try inserting these lines into your ZStartup\HotKeys\StartupHotkeys.txt:

Thanks a lot for this tip thomasp :) It seems to work for the moment. Was having the issue (sometimes after the computer went in hibernate mode, after multitasking too much, or just while working for apparently "no reason") and now all is fine. Greaaaat.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Just mentioning this as well. For some reason ZBrush 4R7 counts switching between subtools, or switcing them on and off as undo steps. 4R6 never did that.
  • grabbity
    Offline / Send Message
    grabbity polycounter lvl 2
    Currently encountering this issue with 4R7. Going to try the text configuration fix. Thanks.
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure if this is a bug in 4r4 but you need to turn on the Undo in Preferences. Go to Preferences/Undo History and make sure you have Max Undos set to 10000