Home General Discussion

Fallout 4

Replies

• juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    I hope fallout four has improved shooting and movement and general input and game feel but I will probably buy it regardless because I have no shame
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Excited! Can't wait to see more! :)
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    Disappointed by the graphics. It looks like outdated X360/PS3 game.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Was there any news of a release date? With all this e3 news, I am assuming holiday season?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    My guess would be Fall of 2016. I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 and Skyrim both had about a year or more between being announced and then release, but you never know.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Question for game industry dudes.

What do artists do when the title they're working on is graphically behind other AAA games? Would a game like this still be included as portfolio work, or do the artists have to scramble and make new next gen art pieces to compensate instead?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    JordanN wrote: »

What do artists do when the title they're working on is graphically behind other AAA games? Would a game like this still be included for portfolio work, or do the artists have to scramble and make new next gen art pieces in their spare time?

I haven't broken into the industry yet, but shipped titles look great on your resume. And not to mention all the contacts you make by already being inside the industry.

Often times experience and connections mean more than your portfolio once you have broken in. Until you break in and you get some experience and shipped titles under your belt, your portfolio will probably carry more weight.

But I would imagine you still have to work on personal pieces to keep your skills sharp.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A new fallout! YES!

But really, they just took F3 and threw on a nice ENB? haha, oh well, all's forgiven when I get my hands on a laser rifle. :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod

What do artists do when the title they're working on is graphically behind other AAA games? Would a game like this still be included as portfolio work, or do the artists have to scramble and make new next gen art pieces to compensate instead?

Ive seen some have a "professional" section on their portfolio that has the games they work on. Then they have a "personal" section as well if they feel their professional work isnt as high quality as they would like. Time budgets and what not.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    What slipsius said. But with a big AAA title that more than likely will sell millions and get good reviews (This game), I'd still throw it close to the top of my portfolio to tell the world I worked on a Fallout game.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Great looking assets do exist in ugly games. Both Fallout 3 and Skyrim had some cool looking stuff despite having so much ugly.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Muzz wrote: »
    Holy shit that looks like dog balls.
    Nice...
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    Not going to lie, a bit disappointed GFX wise, I mean I assume a lot of these clips were taken in flattering lighting conditions to put it mildly. No PBR seems odd, honestly doesn't give me high hopes for the next ES either.

I know I will be told I am wrong and it's not practical to start using another engine, but I really think they need to rip that bandaid off even if it means a slightly longer turnaround. Look at what has been achieved with the Witcher 3, if you have modded on the red engine then you know how much better it is to work with than the "creation" engine. I wonder how much more content the art/design team would be able to make if they had a more streamlined engine and how much less buggy it would be as well.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool

I'd include it but I'd be doing personal work on the side to compensate.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    I for one am happy they made the world a bit more vibrant by adding some sorely needed color. The architecture is much more convincing as well compared to previous games.

Looks like they will have a lot more tilesets as well, instead of trecking through the same old environment and modular building set through the entire game.

Lighting looks a ton better than before. I hope they extend magic hour to be like 70% of the daycycle though, looks so nice.

All in all seems like they made some serious improvements to the engine and im happy about that.

In the end, Bethesda focuses on what they know best and that's storytelling and creating immersive worlds. I've personally stopped getting caught up in the graphics ratrace. Pretty games are nice and if you have the pipeline, staff and time to make that happen then that's great. I have just seen too many titles that focus on the visuals rather than the actual game and it almost always ends up hurting the title in the end.

Fallout 4 will not be the prettiest game around but it sure as hell has the potential to be a game of the year success that will be played for hundreds of hours and will be loved by thousands of gamers.

my 2 cents
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    From my experience Gamebryo is pretty easy to work with, it's not an all in one suite like UE4 or Unity so if you're used to that it may freak you out. It's an engine, the tools are as good as your tool programmer can make them and Mod tools are not always indicative of internal tools.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Was more exited to see the trailer than i though i would. New art direction i like. graphics do the job... NOW ALL I NEED IS THE GAME IN MY HANDS D:!!!!
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I honestly dont understand the complaints about the art - I understand this is a website full of artists and many of them aiming to create photorealistic stuff, but honestly, what else did you expect?

I love Fallout. Its a great series of games. But they are great because of the gameplay and interesting world around it, the many hours that can suck you in and so forth; honestly going into a Bethesda game, I never expect to be super wow'd by the graphics, simply because thats not what people play them for. They play them because they are fun, engaging, and persistent games, full of life and wonder. Even when Skyrim came out the graphics weren't super impressive for the time and looked like a general title, but what it made it great was the gameplay, story and quests.

The art in Fallout 4 looks great and its a definite upgrade from that of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. There is an insane amount of more detail and graphic fidelity compared to the last two games and even Skyrim. Sure - its not as amazing as The Witcher 3 or other really awesome looking games that have came out recently, but it still looks solid none the less and I dont think it'll be inhibiting my experience in the game in any way.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I would love good art in a Bethesda game but I am fine with what we have. Bethesda has never made a good looking game. And I am fine with the way this game looks because I will sink 200 hours into it or more.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's more Fallout, that's all I got from the trailer. The trailer itself was pretty uninspiring.

I'm mostly hoping it's more polished than it's predecessor. If it is, I may well enjoy it a lot.

Some of the people on this forum:
    11243710_10155558554985161_7879029555391439098_n.jpg?oh=65398ea7fdb6230508c4fcb964e69112&oe=55F7DD30
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12

Id also like to add that just because it doesn't look like something rendered in the most intense graphics engine doesn't mean its not of the highest quality.

Dig through the internets for high poly renders of skyrim assets and such and I am sure that you will see a level of quality identical to that of current AAA games.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The fact that Bethesda games always look about 2-3 years behind their time visually has never deterred me from playing the games.

I loved Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and played them all a ton.

What's even more cool is after a year or so after its release you'll start to see a nice library of mods coming out to extend its value.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    OMG, yes!!! I cant wait to see what the community does with this game. :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I am so happy with the announcement and the trailer. I mean it's been so long since F3 and New Vegas, my body needs another Fallout game. Love the colors and extra level of details that comes with it being a current gen game. Can't wait to play it this year.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly all I care about is story and atmosphere.

Trailer tells nothing about that, also graphics are okayish at most. It was very vanilla... Not impressed, waiting for something bigger. Hope it's not fallout 3 HD.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    for the graphics people:

https://imgur.com/a/kFqfZ#0

comparison of the compressed trailer on youtube v a downloaded high quality one. looks pretty decent, im mostly just impressed with the scale of it.

suit at the end looks like shite though, not going to even attempt to justify that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My only complaint is that the animation looks the same (very rough), and I'm slightly disapointed they haven't intergrated PBR (I'd be more likely to make assets for it if it was PBR). Art wise it's a big step up from Fallout 3.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    The download quality seems like a massive difference compared to the youtube quality. Thats crazy! I'm excited for Fallout 4 regardless. :D
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    yes. so excited. the reveal didn't shatter my knees the way i thought it would. and fallout 3 is one of my favorite games that has ever existed. so......saying that:

bring it on bethesda....don't care about your jank. i just love the worlds you create. so basically.......

just do more of the same "atmospheric-wise".....and i'll be happy.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Huge spoiler maybe..some one posted on Reddit about a year ago about being fired for breaking NDA with Bethesda...spilled a lot of beans...no one believed her...but lots of things she said in the post are adding up...Some cool stuff planned if true

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/ SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd guess that it's 50/50 if that info is true, but still I wonder if the last gen versions were canceled, a lot of studios have said no more Xbox 360/PS3, it's been pretty obvious cross generation hasn't been great for games so far.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Can't wait! for the mods that fix it...

But seriously, Fallout 3 brought me back into to gaming. Love the world, atmosphere. Bring it on.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The info on the reddit page isn't a legitimate leak (as was confirmed by Kotaku at the time, as the real leaked info they had directly contradicted material in that post).
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Meh. Will it finally brake the mold and actually be a different game to oblivion? Or will they continue to release the same game (fallout 3, NV, Skyrim) again and again? The latter seems most likely, so... pass.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't really like Fallout 3 that much. Though I hope Fallout 4 is great. And big different from the previous one.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    YES my laptop should be able to run it! Hail to the king baby!

On a more serious note, I am 100% happy it looks like interiors will finally have some kind of shadows, my biggest visual gripe besides the animations in Fallout 3/NV. yeaaaaaaaaah baby

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe animations always looked not-so-amazing because the engine might lack things like it's own ik solver/footplant support on terrain? Not really sure if it supports smooth animation blending as well (such as changing a characters movement from stand-still-to-jog-to-run-to-sprint like in Assassin's Creed as an example)

Anywho, part of the charm! Hoping they have even more immersive-type-of-things than Skyrim (like the cooking animations/smithing/working/NPC idles/activities/bring on the blackjack tables/etc ):D
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Bethesda has never made a good looking game.

People keep saying this, but I remember seeing everyone's minds being blown by oblivion's graphics, many of whom had to upgrade their graphics card to play it. Same with Morrowind and Skyrim, I feel like they were particularly good looking games when they came out. Maybe I was huffing paint or something.

I never do expect a game as big as this to be as good looking as a linear game. I expect to see some disjointed looking asset resolutions, etc. I've poured thousands of hours into Fallout 3 and Skyrim and never downloaded a graphics mod for them, because I prefer the look of the vanilla game. But with all those games I feel like I had noticed a much bigger jump in quality between titles, especially when there's a new console generation involved. I do see a jump, just not as big a one as I expected, or hoped for. So i guess it took me by surprise, but again it's not gonna effect how I enjoy the game at all.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Having worked on a similar Character Creation system in the past, I'm convinced there is pretty much NO way you can make anything really good.

:/

That team there in Maryland is quite talented.

But the tradeoff has always been endless customization vs, looking good/no customization.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really excited about this, even if the graphics don't look amazing in the trailer, I'm pretty sure it'll look and feel just fine when I'm in there wandering the wasteland. :)

But yeah, Witcher 3 has really set a new standard for me when it comes to these kinds of games. It looks gorgeous and the writing is really good, and for me has been bug-free so far. I hope Bethesda has worked more on the writing and quest system for this new Fallout (FO3 writing was just ok, New Vegas was much better).
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Bal wrote: »
    But yeah, Witcher 3 has really set a new standard for me when it comes to these kinds of games.

I know you're not griping about it Bal, but you can't really compare these two.

You can't customize Geralt. You can't make him a girl, or tall/short customize age, hair, eyebrows, brow shape, jaw shape, colour, nose, voice, etc.

Infact, I understand there isn't much in the way of racial variety in the entire game.

There's also tens of thousands of these characters designed within the constraints of the same system, including all of the NPCs.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Having worked on a similar Character Creation system in the past, I'm convinced there is pretty much NO way you can make anything really good.

That team there in Maryland is quite talented.

But the tradeoff has always been endless customization vs, looking good/no customization.

disagree

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STLZ0UXWHE[/ame]

you're just not asian enough.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The NPCs in Witcher are a lot more varied and interesting compared to Skyrim, where they are basically card board cut outs. They are all stiff, very generic, look basically the same, lots of the same voice work and lines. And the character customization isn't great compared with most games. There's no variation in body type in Skyrim besides reskinned races and lizard or cat people, there's just height and bulkiness, there's no skinny or fat variations, even the beggers and common people are ripped if you steal their clothes. Even the Sims has more npc and character creation variety.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    JacquesChoi, yeah there are less unique NPC faces in Witcher 3 (they all look good though!), but the characters and quests are overall better written, and to me that feels more important now.
    I just hope this is something that Bethesda tried to improve here and in the future.

I think Witcher 3 and Bethesda games are very comparable, and hope both companies will be pushing each other in the right directions to make even better games.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    The NPCs in Witcher are a lot more varied and interesting compared to Skyrim, where they are basically card board cut outs.

If you mean Witcher3 then this isnt a very fair comparison. Youre comparing a game relaesed in 2011 to a game released in 2015.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    The fallout 4 leak post from from (a self proclaimed disgruntled ex-dev) a year ago seems accurate given whats in the trailer.

I wont post the spoilers, not that there are many, but this stood out " This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems. Absolutely everything is new, and no assets or scrips are being used from Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim."

Almost thought it was IdTech at first given the look and similarity in assets and animations (see Ghouls attacking vs some enemy attacks in RAGE)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    disagree

you're just not asian enough.

I dunno dude.

I see the same 8 or so characters every time I see this game.

Great looking 8 or so characters though.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    The NPCs in Witcher are a lot more varied and interesting compared to Skyrim, where they are basically card board cut outs. They are all stiff, very generic, look basically the same, lots of the same voice work and lines.

Stop! You have violated the law! Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence! :poly142:
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    MrHobo wrote: »
    If you mean Witcher3 then this isnt a very fair comparison. Youre comparing a game relaesed in 2011 to a game released in 2015.

How so? That's a matter of design, not processing power. Kind of in line with how level design or AI can be so horrible in some modern games, but superb in 10-20 year old ones.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Y'all who are saying this is the ugliest game ever in the history of games must be smoking some good stuff.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    Y'all who are saying this is the ugliest game ever in the history of games must be smoking some good stuff.

Who's saying that? I think (some) people are just disappointed with the graphic details, based on the standards these days. It doesn't mean it's 'the ugliest ever'