Home General Discussion

Nintendo rumor says next console will be Android-based

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Take it with a pinch of salt but could be interesting. It makes perfect sense to me but then what do I know.

Nintendo rumor says next console will be Android-based
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2929474/crazy-nintendo-rumor-says-next-console-will-be-android-based.html

Replies

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Oh, another report!

Nintendo’s next video game console will run Android
    http://bgr.com/2015/06/01/nintendo-android-console-rumor-nikkei/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm sure that'll mean no last gen backwards compatability like with the Gamecube/Wii/Wii U. It'll be nice though to have built in Smart TV functionality, Nintendo is kinda behind PS4/Xbone in terms of their consoles being a media center.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    As it is with the Wii, Wii U and 3DS, all they need to do is port their 'Virtual Console' feature (a sort of official emulator) to Android.
    This would allow backwards compatibility with any games that they wish to offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I am mostly interested to see how, if at all, this translates in to something for the mobile market for Nintendo. Pretty interesting!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    chiniara wrote: »
    From what i read it appears that it will be like another console to live alogside WiiU and 3DS and not replace them.

They said this about the DS not replacing the gameboy line.

If it's popular enough they'll consider a certain kind of future.
  • JacqueChoi
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I don't care what OS they use. I just want them to be more open when it comes to 3rd party / indie developers. Buying a console that focuses on just a couple IPs is blah. I want more games for my nintendo products.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Oh well, "maybe lying by omission" fingers crossed. I hope they go with some kind of x86 OS at least to make it easier to attract third parties.

What does this mean for Unity/UE4 support in the future?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

DeNA have entered into a business and capital alliance with Nintendo, wonder if this is anything to do with the new console? some kind mobile phone that hooks up to smart TVs, makes free Skype calls, a steam app could run on it? units wise it could totally dominate. Totally hypothetical and I am getting carried away but this new alliance with DeNA is very interesting and opens up lots of possible ideas for the future. :poly136:

For example

Nintendo and DeNA Business and Capital Alliance Announcement
    www.youtube.com/watch?t=3513&v=rNi6ZbMKh_w

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/games_consultant_believes_nintendo_nx_could_be_the_defining_video_game_controller_of_the_smart_device_age
    large.jpg

Could be a new Flexible AMOLED Display?

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k6r2HQY9Ws[/ame]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ces/9792166/CES-2013-Samsung-flexible-phone-prototype-unveiled.html
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    slipsius wrote: »
    I don't care what OS they use. I just want them to be more open when it comes to 3rd party / indie developers. Buying a console that focuses on just a couple IPs is blah. I want more games for my nintendo products.

They are slowly being more open with indie devs, joining their indie dev program for WiiU by using the Web Framework or Unity is pretty easy, granted it would be nice to see more engines being easier to use with it. But from my experience they didn't seem to be too hard to contact about indie dev related things.

And I think that shows with the amount of indie games being pushed on the WiiU more and more.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Could the Nintendo NX be a mobile/tablet type platform for the Smart Device Age?

I am just trying to get head around the figures, the Samsung S4 has sold 80 million units this year and the Apple iPhone 4S has shifted 60 million and there are countless other mobile companies, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson and so on.

The current console wars.

Xbox 1 = 10 million

PS4 = 22.5 million

Nintendo 3DS = 52million

Nintendo Wii = 101 million

Nintendo Wii U 9.54 million

If Nintendo was to go down the mobile route with the new Nintendo NX this could be a game changer because there new market strategy could be consoles and mobiles combined to tap into the interest of both markets. And who wants a console sitting in the lounge when you can have a mobile smart device.

Flexible screens
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=siBl2nopD1Y[/ame]

Example concept by Samsung - Source
    TuvB6nh.jpg

2014 Samsung Flexible OLED Display Phone and Tab Concept
    SjdIcvZ.jpg
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a portable device aimed at the fitness industry, rather than a WiiU successor.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The current console wars.

Xbox 1 = 10 million

PS4 = 22.5 million

Nintendo 3DS = 52million

Nintendo Wii = 101 million
    Nice of you to omit the WiiU data lol
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    @ Atticusmars - Added, Well they have their ups and downs. :)

@ ambershee - Noo, I heard that rumour! its not want I want to hear! :(

shh.jpg
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm not sure why you would include the original Wii at all in the 'current' console war considering it's all but dead. Of that 101 million sales figure you posted, only 2 million was in the last 2 years and only 500k of that was in the last year.

No one even makes games for it anymore.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I guess it shows the correlation of instructive strategies in Nintendo's philosophical beliefs beyond the current platform trends. Maybe Nintendo will take us into a new era of gaming and into a new lifestyle for the next century.

Nintendo have always pushed the envelope, sometimes failed some times victorious and achieved success beyond the unimaginable. Maybe I will eat my words but in the present "I will watch Nintendo's progress with great interest".

But then I might be just a fan boy :) ha-ha! Whats the first thing you do when you take your wife to Japan, go to the birth place of Nintendo of course, haha!

M0yUZtr.jpg
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Just wanted to say was waiting for them to start using those flexible screens for a few years now. Such a space saver, imagine being able to purchase wall sized screens lol I am over doing it but yea its awesome.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    Just wanted to say was waiting for them to start using those flexible screens for a few years now. Such a space saver, imagine being able to purchase wall sized screens lol I am over doing it but yea its awesome.

like this one, LG’s new OLED TV is under 1mm thin, sticks to wall like a fridge magnet
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133959-lg-s-new-oled-tv-is-under-1mm-thin-sticks-to-wall-like-a-fridge-magnet

phpzh5tec.jpg

or bigger?
    LG_invented_a_crazy_bendable-ad72dfd304b4f788cc6bfcd46007f0a6

Or even bigger :)
    xxl_lg-wallpaper-oled-970-80.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Now I'm imagining wall mounts that are magnets. But most people will still want tilt/pivot over flexing. But if flexible TVs are much more durable and harder to break, I can't complain.
  • littleclaude
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Now I'm imagining wall mounts that are magnets. But most people will still want tilt/pivot over flexing. But if flexible TVs are much more durable and harder to break, I can't complain.

They have a bigger problem - adapters and cables. An OLED screen that is less than 1mm thick may stick nicely an flush to your wall, but it still needs a power cable and it still needs to fit standard adapters (e.g. HDMI) - all of which are of course much more than 1mm thick themselves!

I do love the portability of such a device though!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I expect there to be wireless streaming to TVs in the near future, then you only have to worry about power.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I expect there to be wireless streaming to TVs in the near future, then you only have to worry about power.

Wireless power is real.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireless streaming doesn't work if you want decent picture quality; the bandwidth just isn't there. You'd have to compress the image.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Completely uncompressed 1080p is 158 MB/s x8 =1264 Mb/s. In home streaming over your home network and wifi with a tiny bit of compression is fine. Youtube compresses down to ~5 Mb/s, you can get much better than Youtube quality with an internal network. You can compress a 1080p video down to 1/4th the size before you really start to see any compression at all if you compare paused frames. So 350 Mb/s wireless streaming would be fine on a wireless n network easily.

802.11g provides up to 54 Mb/s per radio in the 2.4 GHz spectrum (2003).
    802.11n provides up to 600 Mb/s per radio in the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz spectrum. (2009)
    802.11ac provides up to 1000 Mb/s (multi-station) or 500 Mb/s (single-station) in the 5.0 GHz spectrum.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know where you got your numbers from, but for 1080p, the image and audio would be a snip under 8MB per frame; a 60fps game requires 480MB/s.

The numbers you've given tell it all; you refuted your own claim in your own post and demonstrated there isn't enough bandwidth. With the correct numbers, 802.11ac is actually 1.3Gb/s (more than your claim) - that translates to 166MB/s. Not enough bandwidth.

Edit: I like how you've edited your post to add that it does indeed need compression. Youtube style compression isn't suitable for something like games. You'd also have to compress the images on the fly, which is inherently more problematic than doing it in an offline process.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Got my numbers of Wikipedia, numbers for these types of things tend to vary a lot. Nvidia already does 60 FPS in home streaming with their shield devices, and from what I've heard, it's better than Youtube compression, but I can't find a Mb/s figure. I should do a test to see how much of a quality loss would need to happen over my network, wireless n. I can't imagine it would be that bad.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Streaming at 1080p with shield requires an Ethernet connection; the 1080p / 60fps 'console mode' streaming isn't wireless.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Nvidia shield is quite impressive.
    http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/gaming-tablet/

I don't think we will hear anything about Nintendo NX at this years E3 but maybe it might have some kind of Cloud Gaming, like OnLive? Internet speed might be quick enough by then.

ROMANIA! one of the fasted intern speeds in the world? never saw that coming.
    http://www.netindex.com/download/2,9/Romania/
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Why do people want wireless streaming games? It means no owning anything anymore. Can't play if not connected to the internet. Once the service ends, the game is gone forever. Even Steam allows you to play offline. Want to play a game on the bus? Too bad. Oh you are somewhere rural? Can't play anything.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Why do people want wireless streaming games?

Because I don't have enough space to install an entertainment center in front of my toilet
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I love playing wireless games, its so much more social when you hook up on a DS, Phone, Tablet or IPad.

When I used to work in London there was a train carriage a group of us used to get, we all had Nintendo DS consoles and we used to hook up and play Mario Kart or similar on the commute in. None of us knew each other but we all got to know each other through gaming.

I would love to hook up and play some kind of top down D&D or Dota style game causally, one day it will happen.

If anyone is in london the Meltdown Gaming Bar is nice play to hang out.
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQy1d-i6mE[/ame]

I run a gaming club from time to time which is great but you have to be quite organised and everyone has to have the same game before you meet up, (CS, Dota, LOL and so on) which over complicates the occasion. That's what I love about the wireless games. The DS got it so right, only one guys needs the game and then you can all play, its so simple.

zF82oiZ.jpg
    lzzMeuP.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Okay then we have a miscommunication. I was talking about the wireless cloud gaming like Onlive. Where all the content is streamed from a server including the game and the end user console is pretty much just a terminal. Not worth losing everything just to be able to play a game with some stranger on the street. Especially since internet still sucks in most of the US.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Okay then we have a miscommunication. I was talking about the wireless cloud gaming like Onlive. Where all the content is streamed from a server including the game and the end user console is pretty much just a terminal. Not worth losing everything just to be able to play a game with some stranger on the street. Especially since internet still sucks in most of the US.

Would be good to have both, simple games to play on the go and then hook up when you get back home to play more in depth games.

Anyway, we are going totally off track for a games company that may do something totally random like going into the health market and make a product that listens to you sleep or something totally random.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/nintendo-sleep-qol-health/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I was talking about wireless local in home streaming, you'll have a higher bandwidth and lower latency, and many TVs already have built in wireless. I'd just like being able to play any game from any device running off of my main PC.
  • vsmtmienbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the general trend will shift to the Android platform
    http://hutbephotmienbac.com/