Home General Discussion

PS3 slim and $100 price cut

Replies

• James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    That's the one I'll be buying. Was going to buy earlier this year until I heard about this. Glad to see I won't have to wait much longer.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, getting the Slim in September :)
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I've been a waitin for this as well. Now I just need to justify the 500 i'll probably be spending... had some 'unexpected' expenses last month. Set me back a tad.
  • jouste
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    man 34% less power usage? maybe now my house will stop brown-outing whenever i watch some blue rays.

i LOVE the matte finish, finally no more gross fingerprints over my giant beast of a system.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    bah, I just took some sandpaper to mine. nice and matte ALL over. :D
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Now if only it were backwards compatible + had IR support instead of bluetooth.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Why IR? IR sucks in comparison. IR + Bluetooth, I could get onboard with, but since my PS3 is hidden away in my entertainment stack, I like it not requiring line-of-site for controlling it.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah my ps3 is behind my couch as i have a projector so IR would bo of no use... i am curious to why you would want such an archaic interface?? that is from the 1800's i think tesla invented it..

much rather have bluetooth..
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    just because i could use my universal remote to control it.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like a knockoff product, with the design, typeface change and the matte finish (which I prefer to the glossy one).
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Luxury, just get one of these http://www.ir2bt.com/
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Love the new design and price point.

Main things I love:
    -No Spiderman font
    -Less chrome
    -Looks less like a grill

I think I am finally going to buy one
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    hangin on to my 60gb... until they re-institute the backwards compatability, i'm not interested.... that is unless she bites the dust, then i'll snatch this whore up in a bear trap.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    Love the new design and price point.

Main things I love:
    -No Spiderman font
    -Less chrome
    -Looks less like a grill

I think I am finally going to buy one

honestly, those are all reasons why i prefer gigantor ps3
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    When i saw the early leaked pics of this, which turned out to be the final model, I honestly thought it was a Chinese "Gamestation 3" thing you'd find in some toystore that plays all your favourite Atari classics. It's cool that it's tinier, but fuck if that design isn't hideous.

I hated that spiderman font too, and it's cool they're going for more of a PS2 era look, but damn.... DAAAAAAAAAMN
  • bounchfx
    looks neat, and I'd like one, but not supporting Ps2 BC just makes me sad. at least it still does ps1. not like i'd ever play it that often, but I'd like to pop in a game or two now and then without having to hook up my ps2 or worry about ps2/psx mem cards dying on me.

i'll stick with my 60 gig until this goes until 200 I guess, but it looks pretty awesome, and I'm glad theres a solution for people now that's a LITTLE cheaper.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah looks like a knock off PS3 branded thing. Its almost as knockoff looking as the PS1 slim they released years ago. I guess at Sony slim mean looks like a cheap knock off.
  • mLichy
    bout time they announce this officially. Everyone knew it was comming
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The PS2 slim was a black box that didn't look like anything. The Wii is the same way, as is the DS. They're all just knock-off looking boxes with little to no identifying features at all.

... and three of the most successful consoles ever. Considering the "games are for 12 year old boys" mentality, that has traditionally dominated the mainstream, perhaps the "nondescript box" design is actually advisable.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Nice to see Sony moving in the right direction finally. It's still not enough to make me buy one though. I still have my ps2 phat sitting around. On my computer tower, no desk space left.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha yeah as a matter of fact It would look better if they were to totally remove the ugly, tensionless cureves that still remain in that design. It really looks weak and bloated, just like the regular model. Just a plain slim flat monolith with slightly chanfered edges would look so much better :P

But yeah time to get one! Woooo!
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »
    Haha yeah as a matter of fact It would look better if they were to totally remove the ugly, tensionless cureves that still remain in that design. It really looks weak and bloated, just like the regular model. Just a plain slim flat monolith with slightly chanfered edges would look so much better :P

But yeah time to get one! Woooo!

Yes yes you should totally get one and buy SF4 as well so we can play each other haha. Down with the Xbox!
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    FUCK! I just spent 400€ on the 80gb fat one like.. 4 months ago. I feel screwed :\

anyway.. feels like the beginning of the end for the xbox.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    acc wrote: »
    They're all just knock-off looking boxes with little to no identifying features at all.

... and three of the most successful consoles ever.

Hmmmm....that's a really good point. The original NES was also boxy in nature, as was the Super NES. Even the original PS1 was a smaller, flat box design. Apparently, getting too creative in the external casing design for your console can be a very bad move. All of the more successful home consoles have always had flatter, boxy shapes.

The N64 was too rounded and lumpy. The Saturn was too thick and beveled. The PS2 and the PS2 slim were both fairly flat and boxy. The PS3 throws in excessive size, depth, and curves, and suddenly Sony is floundering. Coincidence? This new design for the slim brings the system back to the flat-and-chunky aesthetic. I just worry that the top of the system might still be too curved.

At the end of the day, this price cut combined with the new, smaller standard model places the PS3 very well going into the latter half of the year. It is finally in the same pricing tier as the 360, and is even quite close to the Wii. And frankly, the PS3's feature set makes the Wii's features look like a joke. Well worth an extra $50. Sony stands to gain considerable momentum this holiday season if Microsoft and Nintendo don't have a solid response.

This could also be influenced by the sudden dearth of holiday titles. Where most years see a glut of game selection in the holiday months, 2009 is shaping up to be pretty barren. With fewer software titles to choose from, many consumers might think more seriously about dropping coin on hardware instead.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Im getting this shit as quickly as possible.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like about the same size as the previous one...

edit: okay, saw more pics of it. it's smaller. pretty cool.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    woot $200 aus price drop.... now its only $500...
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I was really happy but I then read the article here http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6215547.html?tag=topslot;thumb;2

and thought wait a sec everyone is saying its gone down in price by $100 to $299 that equals £180 YAY!!!

but the articles here are saying its for sale at £250 NOOO!

Im not paying £70 for nothing, this is not worth celebrating for uk residents on a budget and its certainly no where near the wii £170 price point like it is in america so PS3 is still a big loser over this side of the pond.

In case you were wondering £70 does equal more than $100 :(
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    SOLD! Or at least when Canada adjust it's prices to reflect the proper exchange rate between the US again... hehehe
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    So now that they can't claim the PS3 as a computer, does that mean they no longer get their import tax break from the EU?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    SPIDER FUCKING MAN ALL UP IN THIS PIECE

I will be buying one of these... just like I did PS2 Slim and psOne slim
    I learnt my lesson never buy a sony console first off.
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    This is just what I've been holding out for...