Home Adobe Substance

instance a Substance with blueprints

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
I am trying to instance a substance with blueprints and the new instance would change a specified parameter in the substance. An example would be a box with a grunge overlay. Each new box the substance would random seed the grunge through blueprint.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    I am trying to instance a substance with blueprints and the new instance would change a specified parameter in the substance. An example would be a box with a grunge overlay. Each new box the substance would random seed the grunge through blueprint.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you mean to do this in Unreal 4?

You can do this using a shader. Just have UV's which offset the grunge texture based off world coordinates.

As far as I know you can't do this in substance because it depends on the position data and so can't be pre-calculated. Substances are not calculated at runtime.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    You can do this using a shader. Just have UV's which offset the grunge texture based off world coordinates.
    I agree there, this would be the most optimized solution.
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    As far as I know you can't do this in substance because it depends on the position data and so can't be pre-calculated. Substances are not calculated at runtime.

Popeye9 here is talking about the random see and he is right : you can generate a unique random see per object very easily. No need for position data, just change the seed per mesh. However the cost would be heavy in memory and computation as it would mean a unique set of texture per object in the world.

Substances can be computed and updated at runtime. There are blueprint functions do do that. I suggest taking a look at this thread for an example of the setup : https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5809.0
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the replies.

I did end up setting this up and as Froyok said it was expensive. I will post the blueprint for anyone else to see when my boss lets me. One thing I did find to help me get this going was Jeremy Baldwins tutorial on Eat3d http://eat3d.com/free/ue4-blueprint-exposing-material-parameters