Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    ah yep that was exactly my problem! looks like i had my intensity and exponent maps switched around.

thankee

edit: done!

promoplaceholder_zps88574df7.jpgcleaverpromo512_zps865e6002.jpg

nice that you got it working

great work =]
  • eastblue
    I'm stuck. Which bones to bind for Anti-mage's shoulders and armor?

edit: got it. :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    eastblue wrote: »
    I'm stuck. Which bones to bind for Anti-mage's shoulders and armor?

send an image of the skeleton and your model, i never opened AM model
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    got a questiong,but is mostly a confirmation

I have seem in this thread someone mentioned that when baking normals with xnormal to put y to "-",meaning it have to be as x+ y- z+?

because when I apply those normals in the object in 3dsmax it seems off,so maybe I thought I may be doing something wrong,or it just look that way in 3dsmax?

the screen on the dota2 importer is to small to really notice the bump,but it does seem to be working well but I cant notice it very well

so does anyone has used xnormal to bake normals and they seemed fine on the game?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Chipping away at the highpoly blockout:

i3gLXd0Iy8MhT.jpg

Criticism welcome.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    That's sick aivanov!
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    other questiong,do you people follow the texture character guide(the bear one) to the letter at every step? like placing the same opacity levels and stuff like that?

I do but I was wondering if it was so necesary to follow those stuff strictly to have the item choosen by valve or if we can step out of the norm if we think it improves the item overall
  • Shooo~
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    @aivanov
    I think you will have problem with this belt
    TMs8x.jpg
  • SoJa
    Hood_Wip_03.jpg

Sculpt for the hood based on Vindalia's concpets. I think I have to polish hair or maybe revamp it completely. Looks kinda blank.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mftzfp17vz1r43xj0o1_1280.jpgtumblr_mftzfp17vz1r43xj0o2_1280.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116723702
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116725744

Calamity the great Glaive - Normal and Mythical variations
    special thanks to Jalcolber for baking the texture maps for me
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Well after getting gang-raped by meepo, meepo, meepo, meepo,and the guest star, meepo. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and got over it and made this
    linaimgur.jpg

and the low-poly
    99451369.jpg

So does anyone have anything to say before I boot up z-brush?
  • AndrewHelenek
  • I-ninja
  • bounchfx
    started a set for Faceless Void, should have something to show in a couple of days, gettin back into my workflow...

poppin' in here just to say I made a Polycount chat channel in Dota2 if anyone wants to play or chat while in game.

Also, when did they add chatting to your channels from in-game? that's awesome... but they still need to add a surrender option!
  • kremrhi
    I'm working on a set for the Nature Prophet
    The idea was to give him an armor with some insect inspired shapes
    It just need a texture work and the skinning and I will submit it.
    Crits and comments are welcome
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    1- you can use a maya or a 3dmax shader, look for the hero shader some guys made here in the polycount forum

2- yes, you can implement the whole set in game, look for a tutorial a guy called !nz compiled about it, its in this thread

3- do your lod0 with uvs and make your lod1 extracting some polygons from lod0, take care to no mess the uvs

hope that helped =]

edit

the shader
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022

So in the guide by $!nz.. it says I need to extract all the folders to the dota 2 test folder... what folders are being referred to?
  • Starcofski
    @Kremrhi: Looks pretty unique, but you might want to look at some form of horns for the helm (even if they're tiny), and adding more shape to the shoulders.

On a personal note, I have a slight dilemma; I am currently deciding between starting a new item, or going back and re-doing one of my existing items currently in the workshop. The old item has a weak texture, poorly UV-ed, and could use from a design enhancement. However, I cannot think of a way to do this and have people know it was updated (short of removing the old one and re-uploading as a new entry in the workshop).

Question from the above: Should I re-upload the new design, or update the existing entry, or just move on and start a new piece? (current upload has about 300 votes and a high rating)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I-ninja wrote: »
    why not make your word decalable so that others can put there team logo on the ward?

I have thought about and am thinking about messaging valve about it. The design we have done wasn't originally planned with that in mind, but I can definitely see the possibilities of that. I feel if that was the road we were to take, there would have to be a few additional banners created in a similar style to that of the pennants so there would be some variation to them.

The way it could work is the ward would need a base default skin, maybe a simple banner with the dota logo on it, then a player could combine the pennants together with the ward to create a team specific ward. You could continue to add additional pennants to the ward in a similar way you can upgrade your pennant. This would increase the 'level' of the ward, giving it a unique name like the strange weapons "Bloodied Team DK Ward" for example. You could also add new particle effects to each of the levels, so you can have a very epic looking ward at a higher level.

Doing it that way could give a way to continuously make money for the team, and players to support the teams they love. It's not perfect, but I can see something like that working.

If anyone else has any suggestions around that I'd be more then happy to listen before I propose this to valve. :)

Once I get a solid idea I'll head over to the DOTA 2 dev forums and propose the idea there and see if anyone else like it.
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    1 ward that can be upgraded limitless times with differented pennants is not a good moneymaker :)

Best money idea would be that there would be a genneric common ward,and then you could infuse it with a specific pennant.
    Since,pennant are pretty much useless after tournaments.
    Infused ward would enable you to go and watch your team for free,just like pennant does.
    But,in normal games,it would give u a specifil model on your ward.
    And i beleive it would be a good idea to keep the wards saying "clan fan" instead of "clan"
    Would be confusing to some1 if i were to go into pub and drop a ward saying "Navii".Especially if i put a nick like dendi or whoever is in Navii.
    So,a ward wood have to look or at least give a toolip of a "Navii fan" or Navii supporter.

If u've got navii ward,u could infuse it with othere team pennant,but then u permantnlty lose a navii ward and posibility to follow navii for free.
    So,you have to buy specific team and pennant for each team of i u want to have it,and that is a max money making capability there is :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    1 ward that can be upgraded limitless times with differented pennants is not a good moneymaker :)

Best money idea would be that there would be a genneric common ward,and then you could infuse it with a specific pennant.
    Since,pennant are pretty much useless after tournaments.
    Infused ward would enable you to go and watch your team for free,just like pennant does.
    But,in normal games,it would give u a specifil model on your ward.
    And i beleive it would be a good idea to keep the wards saying "clan fan" instead of "clan"
    Would be confusing to some1 if i were to go into pub and drop a ward saying "Navii".Especially if i put a nick like dendi or whoever is in Navii.
    So,a ward wood have to look or at least give a toolip of a "Navii fan" or Navii supporter.

If u've got navii ward,u could infuse it with othere team pennant,but then u permantnlty lose a navii ward and posibility to follow navii for free.
    So,you have to buy specific team and pennant for each team of i u want to have it,and that is a max money making capability there is :)

Pennants don't allow you to watch games for free, and I don't think they would ever go for something like that since they would greatly devalue the tournament tickets. All they do is make you eligible for item drops while you spectate your team's matches live.

I think if the ward could be purchased and infused with a team pennant, then that player can purchase additional team wards to infuse and increase the ward level, just like a player can purchase multiple pennants and infuse them together. Upgrading it just means you are a bigger supporter then someone else.

Its either that or each team will have its own custom ward.
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    one question

when making a item that will use more than one bone,does it have to be exported with all the bones used right?
    and if a item doesnt use extra bones but the object to replace does,like the hair of various long haired characters,and the item is not a long hair,is enough to export it with the principal bone?
    or something must be done with the extra bones?
  • eastblue
    Mask for Huskar. This pub stomp guy needs some love.
    c&c
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I'haven't done much lately, but yesterday I tried to get some of my models ingame. That ment I needed to change quite a few things, but I finially managed to get it into the test client. Still need to tweak the shuriken though.

For now on to the next weapon, I hope to finially get some items ingame this year :)

8Fjjt.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    eastblue wrote: »
    Mask for Huskar. This pub stomp guy needs some love.
    c&c

r3oIg.jpg

looking really nice for me, i think the sillhouette will be great with this new mask
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I'haven't done much lately, but yesterday I tried to get some of my models ingame. That ment I needed to change quite a few things, but I finially managed to get it into the test client. Still need to tweak the shuriken though.

For now on to the next weapon, I hope to finially get some items ingame this year :)

8Fjjt.jpg

awesome that you managed to get it in game =]
  • TeeStock
    Happy new year folks!

Here's a concept for an Axe set that iv'e had in mind for a while, and I know Beats and I have been itching to work on him as he's such a badass character.

Im calling it "Axe: Kingslayer" for now, a set for the Axe who has carved his way through the competition to become his own self styled barbarian tyrant. A little shinier than his beginnings, but no less capable of chopping your face off!

cYU5U.jpg

Despite the illustrative nature of the concept, the designs not set in stone. We're going to modify quite a bit of it as he's modelled. We've allready noticed theres not enough budget in the shoulder slot for the double strap and robe and will probably pile the polys into making a nice pad.

Please help out with feedback! :)
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    TeeStock wrote: »
    Happy new year folks!

Here's a concept for an Axe set that iv'e had in mind for a while, and I know Beats and I have been itching to work on him as he's such a badass character.

Im calling it "Axe: Kingslayer" for now, a set for the Axe who has carved his way through the competition to become his own self styled barbarian tyrant. A little shinier than his beginnings, but no less capable of chopping your face off!

cYU5U.jpg

Despite the illustrative nature of the concept, the designs not set in stone. We're going to modify quite a bit of it as he's modelled. We've allready noticed theres not enough budget in the shoulder slot for the double strap and robe and will probably pile the polys into making a nice pad.

Holy crap that looks good O.o
    He doesn't have a glove slot by the way.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy new year folks!

cYU5U.jpg

amazing!

hope you guys can model as well as concept, it will be awesome =]

but be prepared for some haters saying "there is enough axe´s sets, build something for puck... (or other hero =] )
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    amazing!

hope you guys can model as well as concept, it will be awesome =]

but be prepared for some haters saying "there is enough axe´s sets, build something for puck... (or other hero =] )

There is enough axe sets, build something for puck! :poly124:

Just kidding, the concept looks incredible! I can't wait to see it modeled and in game.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Happy new year folks!

Killer concept, axe still needs a legendary set and this looks pretty legendary to me :thumbup:
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    He doesn't have a glove slot by the way.

That's Axe's default glove.

I agree with everyone else, that set is fantastic!
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    That's Axe's default glove.

I agree with everyone else, that set is fantastic!

:poly111: you're right... Didn't even recognize it.
  • AndrewHelenek
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    damn crappy internet is lagging on me, double post. >_<
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Note to self next polycount game day I play warrunner
  • Starcofski
    So after getting some spare time, I did two quick mockups of possible next approaches. One would redo my first item, the second would be a whole new set. In order: Would any of these 5 additions improve my base design, and would this set fit Dark Seer at all?
    Vt8Vx.jpgu9g1c.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Is there a wiki somewhere we could hijack? Coming fresh into getting things into the game, there's all kinds of info spread hither and thither that would best grouped up in a wiki page/discussions tab.

More specifically, characters, what slots (actually) do what, what shader options are available. Or any other discoveries people have made in creating assets for a given character worth noting.
  • Paskie
    @ TeeStock

motherofgod.jpg

Incredible concept, looking forward to this one!

Have been taking some time off from work and spending a lot of time playing games with my daughter :) Good for the soul and inspiration.
    Time to go back and toying with ideas in zbrush again.
    Doing several sketches with different heroes now, came to like these two ideas.

Kunkka. Octopussword.

8mVfv.png

Lion hellish powerglove.

hLSez.png

Any feedback is as always appreciated :poly121:
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    lions hand is awesome.
    kunkka's sword looks more like a dagger,u should extend that blade somehow.Or just make it end in other way,so it doesnt give away the dagger style
  • Gareth_Thomas
    A question for those that have worked on couriers before. Does the courier model support transparency in it's textures?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    A question for those that have worked on couriers before. Does the courier model support transparency in it's textures?

as a courier is totally made from scratch you can add the alpha test on the vtm

short answer: yes
  • ArchoX
    You guys are just too good so good luck to all of you. Anyway I had a lot of free time so I completed one of my concepts.

268x268.resizedimage
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    there's an item ingame called the Kingslayer Axe but i don't think the name really matters when the concept is that goshdarn awesome.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    TeeStock that axe concept is AWESOME!! Reminds me of the awesome dwarf armor in The Hobbit.

So close to finishing...

SoClose!.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that Axe concept is awesome, really wondering how the set will look ingame!

Almost Finished the last weapon model for BH, just need to do some tweaking, but that won't be much of a difference so here's the result:

kvv8f.jpg
  • Paskie
    4evra wrote: »
    lions hand is awesome.
    kunkka's sword looks more like a dagger,u should extend that blade somehow.Or just make it end in other way,so it doesnt give away the dagger style

I agree, i have not started with the blade yet but it is certainly too short. And i also think the hilt is too long, i'll do some adjustments.
    Thx for the feedback!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Started baking the high poly and textures, here's a preview so far of the lod_0 model, let me know what you guys think!

eh0k8.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That's looking really great, Andy -- keep it up!

Can't wait to see all the other pieces of that set finished!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking really great, Andy -- keep it up!

Can't wait to see all the other pieces of that set finished!

Thanks a lot, glad you like it! :)

Finished the lod_0 and lod_1 model, still need to make some small changes to the texture. Here's a ingame preview of what it looks like, I might try to get in all the weapon models ingame tonight.

Let me know what you guys think!

mCk6O.jpg
  • TeeStock
    Thanks for the support on the concept guys. @ beetrootChan thanks for the info on the name, i hadn't seen that. If it ends up being a problem i'm sure we can go with another suitable name. @Tvidotto yeh had thought about Axe allready having a lot of store items and what to expect, but then we decided that we wanted to work with Axe too much to worry. @Lennyagony Really good point about no Legendary sets, it might be a good idea for us to ramp up the legendary'ness of this.

That Powerglove is awesome, Paskie. Reminds me of Liono's gauntlet, which i am all for! And Artquest, that that CM is great. That fluffy collar, necklace and up- hairstyle... super hot. Good work!
  • Zhaie
    Hello There.

And first scuse me for my poor english. I'am french and i don't practise a lot.
    I read about 50 % of the 123 page of this topic, but i don't find any answer to my questions.

I actualy try to create my first Assets for Dota2. I work on Maya 2011 and i have no animation. I wonder if a have to work on maya 2012 or 2013 ?

The second question is about the CGFX. I search on the web and i found some answer. But all is about Nvidia Graphic card. Is there something who can work with ATI ? I find some answer but it's don't seem to work. I don't think we can create the same preview this Maya's nodal ?

I'm sorry if the problem have been solved somewhere. I don't understand all the things you're wrote.

Scuse me (again) for my english.

Zhaie.