Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

Replies

• ChaosWWW
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
    Mstankow wrote: »
    How do I add a background image to my collection? I press edit background image and video and nothing happens. I scroll down and don't see any fields either.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out.

I'm curious if you or anyone else can shed some light on this issue, because I'm having a similar problem and can't figure it out.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Out of curiosity (not sure if this question has been asked).

Is source a forward renderer? or deferred?

I only ask in case I want to do a future entry, and need to know if my alpha plans should be broken up in any way? or if it only handles 1-bit alpha.
  • sadies
    So I doubt anyone is gonna need this so late in the game (perhaps any other stragglers like me? heh.. or those who want to make CM sets after the contest?) but here it is (I hope it's okay to post and share these... someone let me know if it's somehow not):

Crystal Maiden files / smd with the correct scale and proportions, decompiled from the game:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1714971/dota2/Crystal_Maiden_Correct_Scale_Models.rar

and if anyone needs to decompile other character models, these two tutorials made it a lot easier for me:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1598304&postcount=8 & [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bl-WEkSuQ"]A very quick Dota 2 Model decompiling tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

...Good luck to everyone in these final hours!!
  • bounchfx
    another really quick question! Is it necessary to make two separate models for LODs? For example, my spear is under the LOD1 budget, even for the 'high rez' version. Can I just put that .fbx in both spots and be okay?

Thanks!!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx:
    LOD0 is optional your choice but if you want official word might be at one of the other pages.
  • bounchfx
    just searched the entire thread.. couldn't find 'official' word unfortunately. I feel my LOD1 is fine for the high rez but I'm considering making a LOD0 with extra geo just to meet the specs and because it can fit.. I'll take a look now. I don't want to be DQ'd for something this silly hehe.
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    how should I present my work?
    is there some kind of mode where we can preview our items (without all the other items and animations like in DOta)
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    bounchfx: it says in the contest rules that it should have the proper LOD's,
    not sure what they mean by it, but I'm guessing 1 LOD is fine if it's under the max tri budget of LOD1,
    you can submit it with only LOD1 so I guess it's fine!
  • PoPcorn
    This may sound dumb. But how do I upload my beuty shot to my collection? I've been hitting the edit background image and video button, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Farfarer
    I found that didn't work at all.

I did find that, if you hit Edit Basic Information, then hit Save and Continue at the bottom (you don't have to edit anything there) it'll take you on to the page you can upload shots to.

Seems to be a specific 2:1 width:height ratio for the collection shot, too - the banner image across the top. It'll stretch your image to fit if it doesn't match, which can get ugly.
  • Slick Vick
    Since there's a few hours until deadline, is it ok if i update my presentation images before then, or will that get me disqualified?

Would be nice to get some better renders out.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I got a question before I actually start submitting stuff...

Is it possible to make a set composed of two separate sets? Like, with their own separate header images and stuff?

Thanks for your time.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    DashXero wrote: »
    I got a question before I actually start submitting stuff...

Is it possible to make a set composed of two separate sets? Like, with their own separate header images and stuff?

Thanks for your time.
    Is this set what you are talking about will contain two different characters? Anyway I think the best idea is to create separate collections for separate sets, then it will be clear for end users in workshop.
    You can upload you items, and later organize them into collections and look what you will be able to achieve :)
    Also I think in terms of rules your collections should represent WIP thread items that you created on Polycount?
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Is this set what you are talking about will contain two different characters? Anyway I think the best idea is to create separate collections for separate sets, then it will be clear for end users in workshop.
    You can upload you items, and later organize them into collections and look what you will be able to achieve :)
    Also I think in terms of rules your collections should represent WIP thread items that you created on Polycount?

Thanks.

I used the same thread for two characters. I asked earlier in this thread (fifth page) if there would be a problem with it, but never received a response. So I just did it.

Technically, it's two sets, but they're thematically linked into being one set.
  • Echronos
    Hey guys. I was testing my items in Dota 2 just fine. But today, which is the deadline, I tried to submit my models and got this error:

error.jpg

The files are the same I used before. I have already reintalled Dota 2 and it didn't fix this problem.

Do you know what's wrong? Thanks :)
  • bounchfx
    Hey Echronos, I ran into something similar. It had to do with the import name. Try something simple without spaces and it should work.
  • Echronos
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Hey Echronos, I ran into something similar. It had to do with the import name. Try something simple without spaces and it should work.

Thanks a lot man! I used other name and it worked :)
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    bumping for presentation renders
    how should i make a proper render (including all the masks etc)
    atm i use a seperate mask for spec and gloss and use max to show it, but cant use half of the masks

also how do i create a collection
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d wrote: »
    bumping for presentation renders
    how should i make a proper render (including all the masks etc)
    atm i use a seperate mask for spec and gloss and use max to show it, but cant use half of the masks

also how do i create a collection

Your best option is to use shader of your choice in max. There is none that will use all of maps that are present in DOTA2, because they are specific for this engine.
    I suggest using 3PointStudio or Xoliul shader
    http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_lite.shtml
    http://www.laurenscorijn.com/xoliulshader

About Collection:
    When you log on your account on steam go to workshop -> dota2 -> on the right below your avatar you will have blue button for collection creation.
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    I just submited my items to the store but for two of the items it is displaying the wrong item image!! I chose the correct one and saw it in the final upload but once it got to the store my arm and sdword are using my cape icon ?!? any idea how to fix this ? am i able to resubmit/upload???
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    reuploaded files.. fixed the issue... strange..
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    i use xoliul shader and then you can use some of the mask2 channels,

specular map is the red channel in mask2,
    to get a color spec (what you need) take the color map, put it on top of the spec in photoshop, put the layer mode on color and you have your color spec!

gloss map is the alpha channel in mask2

worked fine for me,
    hope it helps some of you! ;)

btw, is someone else having upload issues?
    i go through the hole thing and when the workshop web page opens after the "submitting file" i get this error:
    "Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

Does anyone knows how to solve this?
    Will be greatly appreciated!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! wrote: »
    btw, is someone else having upload issues?
    i go through the hole thing and when the workshop web page opens after the "submitting file" i get this error:
    "Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

Does anyone knows how to solve this?
    Will be greatly appreciated!

Many ppl reported that it is connected to long name of submission. I was uploading "ancient crown" and it failed, I changed it to "crown" and it was uploaded with no problems. Hope it will help you :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    refresh the page?

I got that error lots and I just figured it was because of my crap internet didnt sync properly. A refresh fixed it 100% of the time.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    I think it's a server issue,
    finally got them all uploaded! xD
    just tried again and again and again, and now and then an item gets submitted!
    who knew submitting would be so much work!

another question, how do you make a set?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Go to the workshop page, on the left is a big blue button saying create collection :)
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Go to the workshop page, on the left is a big blue button saying create collection :)

ah finally, thankx! xD
    a strange place to put that button,
    you would expect it to be where you view your own items
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    had the same problem, reupload to fix the thumbs not showing
  • PoPcorn
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I found that didn't work at all.

I did find that, if you hit Edit Basic Information, then hit Save and Continue at the bottom (you don't have to edit anything there) it'll take you on to the page you can upload shots to.

Seems to be a specific 2:1 width:height ratio for the collection shot, too - the banner image across the top. It'll stretch your image to fit if it doesn't match, which can get ugly.

That worked, thanks.

It was driving me crazy.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh, why is the link in my item descriptions not showing up as a hyperlink? Little help please?

Thanks for your time...
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    Uh, why is the link in my item descriptions not showing up as a hyperlink? Little help please?

Thanks for your time...

like this

(URL=http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1700053#post1700053/] INSERTTEXT [/URL)

replace ( and ) with [ and ]
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Hannes, you're a life-saver! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Though, I wonder why they don't tell people in more places that steam uses standard forum tags...
  • mjjmlandingin
    hi guys,

I have a quick question, when i edit my files on workshop via inside dota 2 client. do i need to reimport the files(model) even if the one I'm updating is just the thumbnails?

because i might be cut out if i reimport the modelfiles, it's almost 3hrs after the deadline.

thanks in advance!
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Mjjmlandingin,

I found that after you upload your models its easier to edit your item set using a web browser than the DotA2 client.
  • mjjmlandingin
    @DashXero

thank you sir for the quick reply :)
    yup, i already tried that, however no matter how much i update the image on the browser it doesn't update the initial thumbail that i've already passed on the dota 2 client.
    screenshot124ij.jpg

so i had to resort in the dota 2 client workshop. which i found working(changing the initial thumbnail).
    screenshot123sb.jpg

going back to my question sir. can i still edit my submission even if it's hours after the deadline?

thank you so much
  • PoPcorn
    I'd like to know this as well.

The only way I can see to edit the item thumbnails is by resubmitting the game models in the workshop.
  • mjjmlandingin
    @PoPcorn

yes, I had to resubmit it again. It's good to see that in our workshop submitted items, there's a list of time and date for tracking your first submission/revisions in the lower right panel.

thanks
  • Gareth_Thomas
    I'm just checking but am I the only one who feels that only having presentation and beauty shots in your workshop submission is a bit misleading and unfair. I think that not showing what your item looks like in-game for items that are going to be used in-game smacks a bit of trying to be deceptive in-order to gain extra votes.
    Please I'm not trying to single anyone out, I'd just like to know if I'm justified in my thinking or if I'm just being pedantic.
  • PoPcorn
    I'm just checking but am I the only one who feels that only having presentation and beauty shots in your workshop submission is a bit misleading and unfair. I think that not showing what your item looks like in-game for items that are going to be used in-game smacks a bit of trying to be deceptive in-order to gain extra votes.
    Please I'm not trying to single anyone out, I'd just like to know if I'm justified in my thinking or if I'm just being pedantic.

I think there should be at least one in game picture along with the beauty render.
  • Gareth_Thomas
    @PoPcorn. Ya well that was my feeling as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Gareth_Thomas
    There was discussion about this recently over in the Pimping&Previews Dota2 thread which starts at page 104. Be warned though, it's a sensitive subject.
  • PoPcorn
    @Spudnik

I think that discussion was more if beauty shots should be allowed at all.

I think most people agree that a nice render to grab peoples attention is fine, but I think you should also show a quick print screen of the in game model.
  • Gareth_Thomas
    @Spudnik. I read that and I think the guy that went on that rant has a few screws loose. Especially as the target of his ire, Anuxinamoon, has added multiple in-game shots for all of her items leaving no doubt as to the quality of her work.
    I just feel that submissions that omit or neglect to add at least one in-game shot of their posts may be misleading workshop voters as to what their final product will look like in Dota2.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree, just wanted to point to that thread so we don't have that conversation again ... and again ... and again :D
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Okay cool. I'll leave it at that.
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    I am sure Valve will check how all submissions look in-game and judge based on that.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingers crossed, man. My presentation isn't very close to my product :(
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    ye imagine, you upload the LOD1helm in the armor slot, and the correct LOD0armor
    then you wont see in the preview in dota that you submitted the wrong file
    so if valve then would put them ingame without testing that would be funny
  • PrototypeT800
    I have to ask, does anyone here have any knowledge on how workshop submissions are handled. I personally did not enter into this contest (was strapped for time), but I did submit an item from them a while back. How long does it take for them to contact you, and do they only ever contact you to tell you that they are putting your item in. Also will they contact you if your item has "failed" so to speak?