Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Please post any technical questions or bug reports in this thread and we will do our best to handle the questions and support. Thanks for using the tools and we hope the experience is a good one.

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Bek wrote: »
    RM5XRVe.pngzyIMdiL.png

Sometimes get this when applying a regular (non-smart) material via shift+click in 3do. Works fine if I add the material through the UI then link it to the colour id. Using photoshop cs6.

Also once had an error with 3do which caused a black bar across the bottom of the viewer but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. amd 7870 w/ 13.11 drivers. Wasn't a huge deal but thought I'd mention it.

This isn't specific to the quixel suite but since ddo can make use of it; what options are there for making a gradient map? Hemisphere in xNormal AO bake? Anything else?
  • JohanL
    Hey guys! Thank you for an awsome tool, I'm sure I'll love this one as much I do dDo if I can get it to work. ^_^

yt6wEiy.jpg

I'm sure I'm just making some extremely noobish mistake but 3DO won't register any of my materials, no matter how many times I force-update. I can see 3DO working and all everytime, just nothing showing up, just a grey material.
  • rahzy
    Hi, if the diffuse tga textures have alpha in them, how do I enable transparency in the 3DO viewer?
  • Kyuzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    aww, i didn't find any way to export maps right from dDo2 like it was made in Legacy
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I was just wondering that; does dDo only save the psd's into the project folder now and you manually put them together for your target engine?
  • choover46
    I'm having alot of problems trying to run the program.

I've installed it, and I run the Quixel Suite. It starts up photoshop and has the little box in the top corner but when I click on any of the programs whether it be nDo, dDo, 3Do none of them open. Then I go directionally into the folder and try to open nDo itself it shows the logo but never opens and closes down saying

"Quixel nDO has stopped working."

Please help :( I payed for the $99 one.
  • choover46

I've clicked the program to open and it opens photoshop as well as the little box in the corner containing the 3 programs. When I try to click any of the programs they never open. I then try to go into the folder which contains the separate programs and I open nDo which launches the logo but never opens then suddenly says nDo has stopped working.

I'm having a lot of trouble, I payed for the 99 dollar version, please help me!
  • choover46

I've clicked the program to open and it opens photoshop as well as the little box in the corner containing the 3 programs. When I try to click any of the programs they never open. I then try to go into the folder which contains the separate programs and I open nDo which launches the logo but never opens then suddenly says nDo has stopped working.

I'm having a lot of trouble, I payed for the 99 dollar version, please help me!
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    first question - what would be the equivalent to ue4's roughness map in the map slots? or will i have to invert the gloss before importing into the engine?
    2nd question - how should the coordinates be set up for the object space normal map?
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    As divi asked, is there some way to actually work with the same as UE4's roughness map values within dDO, and uhm... also with sRGB on? I really like the workflow with dDO but having to modify the textures at the end so they work within UE4 isn't really optimal.

Unless I'm missing something, of course.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    +1 for a clean UE4 workflow.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Hello Guys,

Teddy will be answering your bug problems and questions shortly. I would like to mention do not fret we are already working on a super clean UE4 workflow for you guys. I also wanted to take this time to link the WIKI here as well. There is a ton of information and videos on the WIKI to learn from. Please take a look and give us feedback on what else would help you better understand and use the tool.

http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php

Thanks,
  • teddybergsman
    Hey guys!

The number 1 prioritized feature right now is UE4 workflow (roughness & metalness). In fact, we were pushing to get it in the days before beta, but so much other stuff came in the way. Rest assured you'll have it in the next build though :D

One of the main missing components in the new DDO right now is the Export module. This is built to let you map your textures to any rendering workflow out there, as well as to set up a completely automatic export pipeline. In terms of priority it's right up there with UE4 support.

Bek: Thank you! On it.

rahzy: Currently the alpha needs to be input as a separate map (have a look at the 3DO custom loader and load it into the Opacity slot). Your question prompts the need of automatically finding alpha channels and plugging them into 3DO though, can't believe I missed this and will make sure to add that. Thank you!

JohanL: This is really weird! Did you plug in the mesh after the project was created or was it plugged into the Mesh slot when setting up the inputs in the base creator?

Thanks again guys,
    - Teddy
  • JohanL
    Hey Teddy.

Seems it was actually a problem with my mesh ^^ all faces had been duplicated once for some reason, which fucked it up : )

Thanks!
  • choover46
    Sorry about the triple post, I've never posted here and I thought it just wasn't going through
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    blah, i can't find out why i couldn't preview my textures works with 3DO so i heard that i can use the cross-app with toolbag marmoset 2 which i tried but it doesn't work. guess it was a bug ?

ps : can you show me your previewer folder so i could see what is wrong with mine ?
  • Zarakun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, first thanks to quixel team for this amazing tool which should completely change my future workflow.
    Now I have a noob question, I'm using nDo for a long time now but I'm pretty new with ddo. One thing I noticed is that when I try to tweak a smart mask the sides of the image can be affected and it scraps the UV shells that are on periphery making my final mask useless. I think it may be due to the way photoshop blurs the periphery on an unflattened image. I guess I do something wrong because no one seem to face this problem.

Could it be due to an improper id-map? How should I handle the empty space on my UV sheet? Do I need to let it black or transparent? I'm sure it's something stupid I missed anyway :)

Thanks again for the great tools :)

Edited to add a picture of my problem, does anyone know how to avoid that?

ZdukFqnm

Thank you.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Works great, a lot more powerfull than i was expecting, but how would i go about getting 3do to use UE4 style maps, Albedo, Roughness, Metallic?
  • Boyordo
    HI.
    The new quixel suite sure seems nice but I ran into the same problem as I did in the old version of DDO: My meshes will not load.

I export my obj files from 3ds max 2014 with uvs, normals and tringulated. Everything shows up great in for example marmoset and other 3d software. But when I try to load them in 3DO or old DDO nothing sows up. Any known issues I should check for?
  • deolol
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool guys, I'm just wondering what settings to use to make it work best in UE4 in the meantime?
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I guess for now you can just invert the gloss map. : D
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    does anyone else get error messages on crashes? because I dont.
  • dralex789
    Offline / Send Message
    dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, great work on the toolset. Big improvements all around. Here are a few questions/bugs I found. Fore the record, working on Windows 7, 64bit. Can give more hardware specs if needed.

Bugs:
    -Occasionally 3D0 would just stop updating 100%
    -Sometimes when using the drop down menus in Nd0, like switching bevel curve types, as my mouse would move down the list, the the drop down menu would just vanish completely. This happened quite regularly.

Questions:
    When setting up base textures for a new project, can you set up base AO or Normals any other way than importing textures? Ie copy pasting or something?

Will add more when I get a bigger chance to play with it tonight
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    choover46 wrote: »

I've installed it, and I run the Quixel Suite. It starts up photoshop and has the little box in the top corner but when I click on any of the programs whether it be nDo, dDo, 3Do none of them open. Then I go directionally into the folder and try to open nDo itself it shows the logo but never opens and closes down saying

"Quixel nDO has stopped working."

I am running into this exact issue as well. The suite boots photoshop, then tells me to direct it to photoshop. Once I do it tells me that photoshop needs to be restarted. Once photoshop restarts, none of the Quixel Suite icons in the tool bar will register upon click. If I try and open any of the programs through their executables, they crash immediately. I've tried reinstalling as well as running as admin with no results.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    Since all source materials is using the albedo, gloss specular workflow how does ddo generate the metallic map for unreal engine 4?

is it more or less looking for areas of the reflectance map that are too high reflectance to not be considered non mental, pasting those values into the albedo, than marking those areas white in the metallic?
  • darthjosh
    Offline / Send Message
    darthjosh polycounter lvl 3
    I'm having an issue where painting on an empty layer, when I put my pen down, even just a tap the cursor shoots off in a random direction drawing a line across my map. Making it really difficult to add customer texturing.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    The "materialList" plugin for Maya in the Swatches directory is quite a bit out of date. You can get the most recent version here; hopefully it makes the next build!
  • David1983
    Hi
    Is it possible to use the megascnas ground textures in UE4 as a landscape texture? How can i use one of the textures like a simple material un UE4 or do i need to export it with a mesh into UE4 ?

Thanx, awesome tool by the way... i'm using it the first time for my 3d objects and the results are just awesome!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    also finding a issue with how material are implemented, since all the detail on a material is a pattern overlay on a solid colour, there is no way to rotate the details in a material.

Good example of this is the brushed metal, which has directional details, there are a lit of cases where it would be useful of that directorial detail was up and down and not left to right.
  • Raptor_Arts
    Hello! I've not got an issue to report but rather just a general question.

Last night I purchased the Quixel Suite Hobby & Freelance license thinking I had to purchase it again to upgrade my software versions that I purchased ages ago.

My question is that when Quixel Suite becomes available would it have been free for current license holders to get the new Quixel Suite package or would I of needed to purchase a new license?
    If it would have been free I have needlessly spent about £80, so I'd like to know how I can go about getting a refund

Thanks
  • RVN
    Hi, I was following the tutorial and after I did a shape accordingly and did hit the "shape to normal", they all just disappear. Been checking where's the little ding I do wrong, but cannot find. Maybe it's this heatwave or smthng.

I am using photoshop CC 64, on windows 7.

If I get this to work, this is just one awesome tool together with Lightwave & Octane Render.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello! I've not got an issue to report but rather just a general question.

Last night I purchased the Quixel Suite Hobby & Freelance license thinking I had to purchase it again to upgrade my software versions that I purchased ages ago.

My question is that when Quixel Suite becomes available would it have been free for current license holders to get the new Quixel Suite package or would I of needed to purchase a new license?
    If it would have been free I have needlessly spent about £80, so I'd like to know how I can go about getting a refund

Thanks

you probably should already have the licenses for the new suite in your account. that's at least how it is for me.
  • Maximus_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Maximus_3d polycounter lvl 6
    Hi to all!)
    Always then i try to load ID map this error appears and Suite crashed.
    RSU4bU5.png
  • Ryan Hawkins
    @Maximus what type of format is the colorid in? Can you try using a png if you have not yet and tell me if it still crashes? Thanks!
  • Maximus_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Suite crashed then texture BMP and TGA with/without alpha.
    This screenshot then I use PNG texture.dDO doesn't crash.
    0WMkgYU.png[/IMG]
    But then I click CREATE BASE apperas this Error and nothing happens.
    sResitH.png
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys!

The number 1 prioritized feature right now is UE4 workflow (roughness & metalness). In fact, we were pushing to get it in the days before beta, but so much other stuff came in the way. Rest assured you'll have it in the next build though :D

That's great to hear. I will be pushing to get the suite into our workflow as soon as all the smaller details like roughness support are "fixed"! :P
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Maximus, just a guess but if you have any Cyrillic characters in your id mat filename, maybe that's causing problems? Sometimes happens with new/beta software.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I've run into a problem where when linking certain materials photoshop throws an error "command 'set' not currently available." After clicking OK many times, the resulting textures are fine with the exception of certain areas not receiving anything. On further investigation, the problem areas were assigned materials that aren't present in the browser. Glass seems to be non-existent, as does silicone, and other synthetics. Having fun otherwise :)
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    anyone here getting error with regular brass when using 3do shift click method?
  • Maximus_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek, thanks for idea, but I haven't any Cyrillic characters in my texture filenames :)
  • Boyordo
    Anyone else here using 3ds max exported OBJ files within the new ddo beta? Ig so, what are your export settings and from what version of obj exporter?
  • Ryan Hawkins
  • rahzy
    Thanks for the quick reply however I am facing this problem now. How do I resolve this cut out issue with the viewer?

qpVs1WzI
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Seems to be a bug with how it is loading the alpha, thanks for reporting we will look into this as well today.
  • grihan
    Offline / Send Message
    grihan polycounter lvl 13
    I'm having problems saving smart materials.
    When I try to save with the Smart Material From Selected option, I get this windows:

ca4510ea15.png

Then, the process continues, says that the preset is saved succesfully, but it isn't. No xml is created and it generates only wrong thumbnails for the preset.

I'm using Photoshop CC.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The suite seems to be blocking visual access to warning popups from Photoshop on my machine. Since I cant see them, I cant re-enter photoshop until I close the suite and the popups are able to be seen and closed.

PS6, Win8.1 64.
  • mzprox
    Offline / Send Message
    mzprox polycounter lvl 5
    Nevermind, a question was here but found the answer :)
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    YAY. Downloading the beta right now, can't wait to get started. A quick question though, is there a possibility for a tileable texture workflow within DDO and NDO? Have not heard anything about it, but looking at DDO and all its possibilites it must be completely kick-ass for texturing sculpted textures.

Thanks!!

Edit, wwould this also apply to creating PBR textures more or less automatically?
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    narticus wrote: »
    +1 for a clean UE4 workflow.
    +2 for a clean CryEngine workflow
  • Boyordo
    Got the 3ds max export to work, no idea why but now it works at least.

Now unto another thing:
    It seems that all edge masks etc has problems with seams. Anyone else get seams at uv island boarders when applying nay kind of edge mask? If not how do you avoid this? Quite a big issue actually as it will leave me with quite useless masks in many cases.
    I tried using a normal map with and without edge padding, no luck.
This discussion has been closed.