Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Redeemed/Demacian Riven

D_Wall
polygon
Offline / Send Message
D_Wall polygon
nLNYZnu.png
[SKETCHFAB]af16681aff544c98b619959a6da22ead[/SKETCHFAB]

Man! The things I want to do with this contest haha, really hard to make a decision. I've actually always been a fan of the League's lore, mainly because it's just enough to flesh out the world and characters, but still leaves a lot to the imagination. I wanted to do an Ionian theme'd Riven because of the hinted relation between Yasuo and Riven.....buuuut I felt that the Lunar Revel skin for her had enough Ionian thematics, and I didn't really want to remake that skin. I've always loved Redeemed Riven's splash art though, and her in game model isn't really all that close to the splash art though so Redeemed Riven is the way to go!
iNQVwUA.jpg

Because I'm shooting for something closer to the original splash I wanted to first get a silhouette down to better understand her form's and proportions, at least the major ones.
I0bZjhu.jpg

After that I started sketching out ideas of the body shape underneath all her armor. I quickly realized that major parts of her armor are practically skin tight, so I might have to adjust slightly for believability.
qZ0ANe9.jpg

Time to jot down some notes! Can't obviously just copy the splash directly because she's in pose, and was also time to measure height.
xZUd3m1.jpg

League is very hand painted; variations are there between itself and it's peer's like Dota 2 and other handpainted games like Darksiders and Torchlight, but I wanted to gather reference for ways to represent the materials that Redeemed Riven's going to have. To get an idea of current techniques I looked at Riot's more recent skins and champions like Sion, Azir, and Yasuo. I also looked at Garen because Redeemed Riven's design feels much more like a Demacian then an Ionian or Noxian. I also looked at some of the stylized texture art by Genesis Prado to get some inspiration on how I want to handle her materials.
QAAvyNh.jpg
resample(lanczos).jpeg

That's it for now! Can't wait to start the sculpt :)

Replies

• D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Done with the body base; mainly focusing on silhouette so that the cloth and armor will follow the right shape of the body.
    jOK2UwM.png
    savBKuW.png
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Excellent, I agree with your sentiments- this is my favorite Riven splash, but in-game is a little lackluster.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Wait, hold on-- perspective and foreshortening. You didn't account for them when you did your headcount! This is why the Legs seem so long and the head is small.

The camera is at her feet in that splash, so the head is tiny while the feet are quite large. I'd venture she's actually more like 8, maybe 8 and a half heads tall.

Just thought I'd mention it, because compared to the in-game models, your character model looks quite lanky. Great base, though, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Good catch! I saw it, but I felt that i still liked the silhouette that the camera angle produced; she's sitting at 9 heads tall, so it still needs to be taken down a head, but I do want to keep her tall looking. After that I wanted to download one of the rig's for the animation contestants and use that to size my model against, so the end proportion might not be that big a deal; I'd probably use Leona or another tall/built female. Thanks for the pointer BagelHero

AnthonyAnimation...Redeemed Riven <3 haha
  • Khronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khronos polycounter lvl 9
  • Lazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Looking forward to seeing this!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PRODEADMAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start man, looking forward to seeing this in progress!
  • rganima527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start. You have nice muscle definition going. Good luck. :)
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Thanks for the compliments and well wishes guys!

Armor's in progress! I decided to model the armor in maya to better achieve the "super polished" look that Riot's highrez sculpts have for their game character's, but also at this stage I've noticed that the trimming is very thin, which isn't usually the case I believe with hand painted/cartoony assets, so I'll need to thicken them up (bed for now though x.x)

aYL0ScV.png
    scOhhMc.png
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Last time I'm going to be able to work on this for the next few days, so figured I'd post what I have right now. Still doing highrez, have the armor blocked out (need to still do the belt on the shoulder piece) and then doing detail passes on everything, and the sword of course
    The face usually gets as much detail as practically everything else, so I'm saving it for near the end.
    9CL2Q2p.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice blockouts man!
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Got the high rez close to done, and threw a poly paint base on for color scheme.

After working on it I realize how unbelievable her massive left pauldron is, so I'm going back and adding a strap around her arm connecting to the pauldron, and may add a bit of leather padding that connects to the breastplate so that the pauldron has something to be riveted into.

Have the shoulder belt to work on, and i think i could bang up her armor alittle more. Then I start on the sword!

And of course, feel free to throw your opinions or critiques around :D

ZLOsjso.jpg|
    AvuWSkn.jpg
  • zzMedVeDzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zzMedVeDzz polycounter lvl 7
  • Khronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khronos polycounter lvl 9
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    agreed; it'd be easy enough to put a bolt or some other form of attachment on there to show it won't fall off haha, thanks Khronos!
  • rganima527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet. Nice work. :)
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    this turned out great! can't wait to see more
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    rganima527 Thanks man ^_^
    Jeebs Thank you! I've still got a bit to go so hope to please :P

TeriyakiStyle Thanks for the advice! and I agree, some parts feel alittle boring (like the larger shoulder piece) If i have to restart certain pieces then is k. Also thanks for the compliment!
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    After critique I adjusted her face alittle more to try and fit the splash art. The splash art has a weird rendering for how her jaw line is, and makes it look very masculine, so I didn't match it entirely, but I still wanted the impression.

I also experimented with a lot of silhouette's too counter weight the sword, but in the end I added a second pauldron under her large one, and a cape that connects under the pauldron's on both shoulder's. everything's retopo'd and uv'd, but I might fiddle around with the rune gauntlet alittle more before I sit down to paint.

6lW8wbe.jpg
    WZ8UdQ4.pngKp8Tc7i.png
    L69kzGl.jpg
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    Your Riven looks fantastic. I might want to recommend making her hands a little larger, and less dainty. She is a stylized character, and I think it might help just ever so slightly.
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Thanks Howling Carnage, Once I've baked the AO I'll scale those up!
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking awesome!
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Looking nice !
    Loving the folds, especially in the hood !
  • ArtLearner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    woah, i didn't realize i had a second page now haha. Thanks for the compliments guys!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Woah, thanks for the in depth critique TeriyakiStyle!

Orb cracks was actually what i was using for the slashing, so I'll definitely go and vary its settings up to put some changes in the damages. Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'll do this ASAP
  • beastypet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beastypet polycounter lvl 5
    I would look into the face, but the rest is really nicely done.
    also may be make her hands bigger?
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to atotally agree with TeriyakiStyleabout the things to refine, chunkier shapes and silhouette, always check with a black flat colour if it is interesting. The feet and hands are the parts that need more love here I think, the feet don't show any anatomy the hands need to be bigger and keep in mind that one hand has an armored glove in the concept(that is really cool) Also in the concept she has a piece of armor on the left side of the hips that breaks the symmetry nicely. The armor on the knees could be bigger.
    I like the right arm cover and the folds but I think that the folds on the back of the hood would look better with a V shape instead of U. I like the hair, you can spend some more time making the face more interesting(mainly for the turnarond shots), always check if everything is working right from the top view like in the game.
    The blue parts, clothes and glow on the sword and armor could be more greenish, but this is just my personal taste :)
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Teriyaki and Dantert, thank you very much for the critiques. Since i don't have much time today to work on this i took to heart what you guys were talking about and did some changes in the shape, and then painted over for some of the larger edits I want to make :)

c0hpaZp.jpg

I had originally taken out the hip armor piece because it wouldn't deform right when she bends, but during the paint over I realized that that wouldn't be an issue if it was attached from her leg armor, and that'd give me an excuse to continue the embroidery work from her torso plate down her body. Can't work on this for most of today but can't wait to get back to it!
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep one hand without glove:) it's cool! It's much better, keep it up :D
  • genz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the paintover. Her hips were too empty and not interesting enough so it is better if you add those little details. The only thing i really think you should look into is the design of the gauntlet. It looks as if she has put 2 of the same armors over. Maybe create a design that is one piece.
  • rganima527
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    How I've longed to get back to this! I got caught up with freelance and my part time barista job (fresh graduates gotta eat right?). Finally was able to get back to this!

dantert, lazaar, teryiakistyle, thanks agin for your pointers! I've tried to incorporate everything you guys said. Thank you guys again so much for the critiques!

l1rUkDv.jpg
  • Trik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trik polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work here.
    Try adding more variation to the colors so it looks more lifelike, specially on the armor pieces at the scratches and the edges, throw some gunge and dirt like colors to better reflect the use of the armor in battle.
    The same could be done with the skin. Dont be afraid to throw some blues and greens into the pink base tone.
    other than that, this is looking awesome! :D
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Thanks Trik! i just threw some base colors on the polypaint to get an idea, but when i hit the texture section I'll make sure to keep that in mind :)
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    And here we are again! Second time hitting the retopo stage. Once again shout out to Lazaar, TeriyakiStyle and Dantert for the helpful critiques! Hurts to finish retopo and then go back and do so many changes in the sculpt that you mine as well redo the retopo, but it was worth it!

@ Genz: I saw your post, fiddled around with a few design changes but couldn't settle on one that meet a compromise between the original concept and what you were talking about; hopefully the shape changes were enough. At worst I can always add in some texture detail to vary it up.

Also a shout out to Dmitry Grebenkov! I've learned quite a few tips and tricks from reading through other peoples forums, but the way he applys the technique to conserve poly's on deforming areas (like the elbows) onto the fingers was a great idea, and although he used 4 sided cylinders for the fingers I found that 6 worked really well for me in terms of uv's too. Though he probably doesn't know it I thank him for the indirect help!

Also, finally got my hands on Keyshot....its so beautiful TuT
    final polycount clocked in at 10.4k tri's
    MeP5ce1.jpg
  • AlfheimProductions
    This looks amazing! I am trying to work on my own entry for Riven in the illustration category but I've just been so busy with school I haven't had time for anything lol I love your model though what program did you use? ZBrush, Maya, or Max? :o
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    @AlfheimProductions

I used Zbrush and Maya so far :)
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Got the AO bake done; had to bake most of the pieces individually and then paint in shadowing between them; came out nice in the hood but I do need to make the cape thing look better. I think it's a good base though!

F6WTIrp.jpg
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Just a texture WIP update; I got most of the gold work done with the highlights along with the value's on most of the cloth; still some fine tuning and reflections to add when I get everything else caught up. It's been a while since I've hand painted a face (they're my weakness) so I'm alittle nervous moving on, but I know where/how to research and have my general knowledge down (color temperature, make up, etc) so I can pull it together!

wHeGZgA.jpg

I went with a color change for the cloth because I felt it fit the swords original emissive color better. I'm going to make the whiter parts of the armor look like stone (think it'll look cool!) so just gotta get it done.
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I know i just updated but i can't go to sleep so I continued working. Worked on the face; not half bad if I say so myself; always more room for improvement though and i think that'd be turning up the contrast on her a bit for the hood shadowing.

8cfkvdp.png
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Texture phase is done :)

I'm happy with it, of course there's always more room to improve, but regardless I'm satisfied

Now to rig and get a nice little presentation shot goin!

YbHQBHj.png
  • dreadleft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreadleft greentooth
    Nice work. Keep going
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    @Dreadleft Thanks! I kept it going, though I'll have to see if I can do a few last touches before actual deadline :P

The fat lady may not have sung, but she's definitely on stage ready to do so haha. These are my final shots-I may do some last edits before the deadline if I can, but I don't think I'm going to have any free time tomorrow and friday, so we'll see.

Thanks for all the support you guys!

fllu12E.png
    d6ctFfc.png
    itaHJqW.png
    ftBEMbI.png
    afgmIRu.png
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic job! It looks very good inside the game. Love the way you handled her colors.
    :thumbup: