Home Dota 2

No Pie`s Workshop Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
Good day to all of you brethren in creation of life and death, 3d art and poetry!
I have finally decided to create my own workshop thread. I`ll try to keep it as updated as possible.

First off, i`ll start with what i have completed (so far):

Latest ones,
by No Pie For You!
Ancestor caller

Darkstone slicer

Older Works:
XhIaWiwjpg2
od7Qrx4jpg1

UEcNKc9jpg1
SiLrdeGjpg2
oWb3FPojpg1
xpiIgoYjpg1

What i`m working on right now:

i have some ideas related to the darkstone slicer, on how to turn it into a full set, but they are only ideas for now.

i am open to proposals/ collabs

That`s all folks! for now
thanks for visiting and feel free to throw hammers, stones and praises at my items.

Replies

• No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

Just finished the BH shuriken, and the spear thing is on the texture board. Chaos prophet offered to help me with the texturing, so they are currently on the wait line: here`s what i got so far. any critiques?
    kF9RdQ5.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your bakes looks very weird and I dont see any job on high poly od spear and the wooden parts will disappear ingame.
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    Need rework texture
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Your items are very low poly, I have to say. Do you have high-poly normal maps baked?
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your items are very low poly, I have to say. Do you have high-poly normal maps baked?

only for the crystalis, and for the magnus spear so far.... when i made the other two... a while ago, i didn`t quite get the transfer from high poly to low poly texturing part. can`t say that i do now, but i`m starting to get a glimpse of it. :)
    i will improve
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello again guys!

after some thougt and pondering i decided to try concepting some stuff before i hurl myself into the modeling process.
    i "drew" some pugna wards ideeas! i personally like A and B, but D also looks interesting.
    The general ideea is a floating cristal with OOOOOOBLIVVION juice trapped inside. the cristals will have cracks and stuff on them

oppinions/ critiques?
    RHaOp9H.jpg

also... if anyone is interested in a collab, contact me. otherwise.... i do it myself!
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question(s):
    -is there anyway you can make transparent textures to appear in-game?
    -why is it that when i try to import a ward in-game, it shinks to 1:2 - 1:3 of it`s size? (the other items also had distortions, but much smaller, and easy to correct. i can`t seem to manage to resolve this issue however)
    - from your previous experience what order do you recommend me to make my wip-s in the future, and why? concept>low poly>high poly? or concept>high>low? (i am currently going low>high)
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its better to go High>Low. Or, more specifically, Exceedingly High to LoD1 to LoD0.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    could you tell me what program you use for modelling? if it's blender, before your rig your ward, press n, and make sure your ward is sitting and xyz 0 and has so scale on any of the axises either. Then go into object mode, select it all and adjust it the way you want to rig it. other than that, I have no clue what the issue is.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use 3DS 2014 for most of my modeling.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    question(s):
    -is there anyway you can make transparent textures to appear in-game?
    -why is it that when i try to import a ward in-game, it shinks to 1:2 - 1:3 of it`s size? (the other items also had distortions, but much smaller, and easy to correct. i can`t seem to manage to resolve this issue however)
    - from your previous experience what order do you recommend me to make my wip-s in the future, and why? concept>low poly>high poly? or concept>high>low? (i am currently going low>high)

- for transparent textures, there apparently is a way but nothing that's supported through the importer without a load of trickery behind it. Right now most of us just stick with on/off alpha, perhaps valve will enable multiple levels of transparency in the future.

- as for the ward shrinking, are you making sure to reset your X-Forms to clear out any scale transformations that you might have applied? Like, did you scale the ward down in max and then forget to hit Reset X-Forms afterward?

- I work from concept > sculpt > LOD0 > texture > LOD1, unless you're really unsure about whether or not you can hit the triangle budget, then I will do LOD1 first and uprez.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    - for transparent textures, there apparently is a way but nothing that's supported through the importer without a load of trickery behind it. Right now most of us just stick with on/off alpha, perhaps valve will enable multiple levels of transparency in the future.

- as for the ward shrinking, are you making sure to reset your X-Forms to clear out any scale transformations that you might have applied? Like, did you scale the ward down in max and then forget to hit Reset X-Forms afterward?

- I work from concept > sculpt > LOD0 > texture > LOD1, unless you're really unsure about whether or not you can hit the triangle budget, then I will do LOD1 first and uprez.

thx for the help!
    here`s my workflow set up for the xform: i reset the x-form, then collapse it, and i apply the skin modifier over it.

and as for the transaprency: VOLVO PLS GIV TRANSPARENT COLERZ PLS
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    work progress on the pugna ward low poly. lots of wip-s and ideas.
    criticism is desperately needed!

i personally like the sculpted one, but the obelisk one also looks promising.
    aFo1z1U.jpg
    NuuvQzc.jpg

if anyone is still interested in collab, i`m open for it
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looks wayyy too low poly in my opinion. Try searching up some tutorials on youtube on how to sculpt rock in zbrush
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looks wayyy too low poly in my opinion. Try searching up some tutorials on youtube on how to sculpt rock in zbrush

they ARE low polys, and they were made with 3ds. they are all under 600 tris, so i can use them as base for the in-game model. What you are seeing are screenshots from 3ds, with the clay viewport type, and then a quick crop in PS.
    i just wanted to give the concept some 3d shape. haven`t even started the sculpting process.
    btw.... i`m doing that in muddbox
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh ok, it looked like those were imported into zbrush and you left them like that, sorry for the misunderstanding
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PROGRESS TIME!
    i managed to get the scaling issue fixed. seems like the in-game compiler uses the same old files for the same compile, without tracking my scale changes on the fbx. a simple rename got me rid of the issue. i think i made it a big too big this time, but i like where it`s going.
    The textures are not final (in fact... i didn`t even touch the masks yet), but i`m getting closer.
    i might meed some help with some particles and maybe animation. As always i would apreciate some tutorials/advice.
    FJfQJId.jpg?1
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phewh! i`ve finished the ward model and textures, although, now that i`m looking at it, i think it needs some black on the bottom.

I have a question: what type of animation is required by doto? simple model movement with different keyframes? or bone/rigged related animation? for 3ds.

I might need help with this part. If anyone is interested in making a quick animation for the ward, i would be very gratefull. i`m talking about 10-15 min. work.

here`s what it looks like in the end:
    rPaDDu6.jpg?1
    DnzyY77.jpg?1
    ifYUVsR.jpg?2
  • Chaos Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Pugna Ward!
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The large green crystal is looking pretty sweet, and I agree; you need to add some black into there. In your original concept, the rocks were black, so that'd be a good place to start.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    To animate your ward it needs to have a skeleton and the mesh needs to be skinned to it. A simple skeleton should suffice for your Pugna ward.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaaand.... DONE!
    the ward is finnaly done, thx Sukotto for the animation advice. it was right on track. i still need a particle changer, but if not... i guess it can work without it as well

Ill make a small movie to show the animation and stuf, but until then.....LINK!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=313338246&searchtext=

Like it if you like it :)
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New item. I like how it turned out. but i might come back to add a bit aof detail on the texture

od7Qrx4.jpg?1
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on a venomancer ward. I got the idea ever since the November competition, but heavy schedule at university stopped me until now.
    QiGdSH8.jpg?1

I began working on the base mesh, and i plan making the high poly one these days. here`s what i got so far: (veno`s old ward for scale)
    P5pcEeF.jpg?1
    the way i see it, the ward CAN be smaller, if it`s distinguish-able from the environment, and i will try to work with that.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the high-poly version about ready to go. Since it`s my first try at organic sculpts, i am pleased on how it turned out. Yet again... i don`t have much experience with highpoply sculpting anyway. The colors are only for guidance.
    HEB7x5Y.jpg?1

Any critiques/advice?
  • Green Pirate64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Green Pirate64 polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry but that ward won't work. You are completely altering the silhouette of it by making it smaller so it won't be very recognizable by players. Also it seems your workflow is backwards as you want to have a high poly built out before the base.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry but that ward won't work. You are completely altering the silhouette of it by making it smaller so it won't be very recognizable by players. Also it seems your workflow is backwards as you want to have a high poly built out before the base.

hay
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_Geodesic_Eidolon.png?version=207c3bc43e09f74906484bf6605c417d
    although i agree with you... it`s a risky design.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    hay
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_Geodesic_Eidolon.png?version=207c3bc43e09f74906484bf6605c417d

Don't use that as an excuse, it sounds incredibly lazy. That is a model made by Valve, with custom animations, particles, etc, designed to be very different from the default one, and also rare. They can do whatever the hell they want. It doesn't mean you can also do it, or rather try to, specially since you started doing items quite recently, you shouldn't begin by throwing every design philosophy and guideline out of the window because a single item made by Valve does it. I've seen this excuse being used here way too many times.

The silhouette on your model is too different from the default one, and that is going to cause problems recognizing the unit ingame, which pretty much makes your chances of it even getting ingame near zero, if that is what you're after. I'm not sure how the ward works, but it may also mean you'll have issues with the projectile and stuff.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Don't use that as an excuse, it sounds incredibly lazy. That is a model made by Valve, with custom animations, particles, etc, designed to be very different from the default one, and also rare. They can do whatever the hell they want. It doesn't mean you can also do it, or rather try to, specially since you started doing items quite recently, you shouldn't begin by throwing every design philosophy and guideline out of the window because a single item made by Valve does it. I've seen this excuse being used here way too many times.

The silhouette on your model is too different from the default one, and that is going to cause problems recognizing the unit ingame, which pretty much makes your chances of it even getting ingame near zero, if that is what you're after. I'm not sure how the ward works, but it may also mean you'll have issues with the projectile and stuff.

hmm.. you might be right. still i want to finish this item as it is, more as an exercise with bone rigging in-game. it might not make it in, but i want to give it a shot anyway. and since i only got the texturing and rigging left to do, i`d say it won`t be too much effort (i hope). Ever since i made that pugna ward, i got a taste of how animation cycles work, and i want to expand on that.
    Still, we have a saying here that says "if 2 people tell you you`re drunk, go sleep."... so ill calm my designs from now. thanks for the critiques.

EDIT: decided to scrap the ward for now. i have no ideea how to rig and animate this thing.but if anyone wants to help. it`s up for collabs
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Witch Dokta set i`ve been working on. I`m aiming for simple shapes with a percution instrument doctor feel. I`m readapting the old skeleton satchel with some african fruits that when dried cand make shakey noises. From my knoledge of african instruments, theee fruits can be filled with dusts and powders... so they can fit the doctor cask profile, and still make sounds. A new belt with pacay fruits attached, that also make shaky sounds when dryed and shaken. A didgeridoo as weapon, and as for hair slot... a modest Afro, with some fruits that can also make shaky sounds.....

bottom line. planning for high quality, wich will take me some time given my speed so i am oppened for collabs, also if anyone interested in making a custom particle cask.... i would be happy to accept. I`m also planning on adding a slight Didgeridoo sound to the maledict... and maybe some more shakes on the death ward?

Picture:
    gejQKg2.jpg

another one, for better sash view:
    JElgimo.jpg?1
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a pretty good start! Although I feel that you really need to add more things to it. Something that I love to do is to look at the hero's current equipment to see how much you would need to put into the set. (so that you don't do any "overwork") I really like your ambitions for custom things to add to the set, it's just that source 2 engine is coming soon so I think valve will be holding off sets that include custom particles and such. Also I dont think we are allowed to have custom sounds, but I might be wrong...
    Anyways, I'm looking to forward to what you will produce!
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i`ve decided to try my hand at a promotional image. and since i don`t have high drawing skills i`ll try to get a render base for it done. I could use some suggestions. this is the first scene render, to get a feel of what i`m going for:

VIwsdF6.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    I would try to point the camera from the ground-up to him , giving him a more heroic feel , and u wont have to add to much background beside a sky and maybe a big tree
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Halelujah brothers and sisters! mah first set is done!
    give it a piece of Pie!

Sound of the Mabak Woods
    by Mr. No Pie For You!
    XhIaWiw.jpg?2
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I`m back. again. This time with some more patience in my workflow.
    I made dis. Bountyhunter shuriken thiggy. Could use some help with a transfer from highpoly to low poly. If anybody wants a collab, tell me, otherwise i`ll finish it myself.
    Cheers

• RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Hi!  I'm still pretty new myself to the whole process but if if there's one thing I can recommend it's learning and practicing painting stylized textures, stuff that looks hand painted.  Your items have good base models but their sculpts and textures are too realistic/noisy to fit in properly with Dota.  In general, in Zbrush you should avoid any type of heavy texturing of detail like what you did in your witch doctor hat.  Try for smoother detailing with large details that can be seen from a distance away.

This is the sort of look you should try to emulate:

Really colorful and vibrant, more saturation.  Gradient maps and baking workflows can make this process easier!
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip Ross! although i can`t say my set has any chance of going on the market anytime soon, i really want to revisit the didgeridoo part of it and i`ll try aplying the gradient part to it. but untill then.....
    New simple single submision:

Darkstone slasher - by me

This shuriken gave me some ideas for a small set for bounty, but first i must clarify them out, so for now it will be a standalone item. Once i`m done with the full set i`ll add it to the bundle and maybe i`ll figure out how to incorporate particles by then as well, so i can give it a bit of light, or a custom toss effect.
    cheers

• No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took the time and revisited the didgeridoo witch doctor weapon, i`m satisfied with how it turned out, and that slight gradient indeed really works well in tandem with the rest of the texture.
    I turned it from a set piece to a single item submision:

Ancestor caller - by me.

Hope you guys like it. Cheers