Home Technical Talk

Which game engine should I use for racing/car game?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
kunalht polycounter lvl 2
I want to make free roaming car game. So which game engine requires less coding ? I am learning Environment art and vehicle modeling. So I can create vehicles, environment and other props but I don't know much about coding.
I have tried Unity and Unreal engine 4. Is unreal engine 4's vehicle template with blueprint enough for making car game?
My main goal is to learn high-poly and low-poly modeling (environment, vehicle and props).
And one more question-
According to what i know is we have to first block out level in game engine through BSP brush(UE4) ,then modeling static mesh in 3D software(maya/3ds) and export it in UE4. (correct me if i'm wrong). So Can i just model(and block out) whole level in MAYA and then export it all in UE4? Can i skip 1st step of blocking out in UE4 as i'm more comfortable in MAYA for blocking out?
Thank you...

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    You can block out the entire level in Maya and export it into Unreal 4 - and personally I'd recommend doing so, as a 3D Modelling application's modelling tools are infinitely superior to the BSP options available in Unreal 4.

I'm not confident enough with the engine to be able to answer your other Blueprint-related questions, however I would always recommend Unreal 4 as a solid, modern and powerful game engine. :)
  • mzprox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mzprox polycounter lvl 5
    You can skip bsp and make your entire level in maya or you can make your building blocks in maya and assemble them un ue4. I guess all mayor engine has premade veichle game templates (ue has it for sure, though I haven't tried it) where you can just replace the base model and has some basic movements and physics.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for reply! So i'll choose UE4.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hii guys!
    so, i was making some models in MAYA, but i have some questions.

1) Should I apply materials and textures in MAYA and then export it to UE4 or should I apply all material in UE4 ?

2) I modeled some buildings in maya , so should I export all model in single fbx file or should i export each building (and props) in different files ( like building A in 1 fbx, B in 2nd fbx file and so on) ?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    kunalht wrote: »
    hii guys!
    so, i was making some models in MAYA, but i have some questions.

1) Should I apply materials and textures in MAYA and then export it to UE4 or should I apply all material in UE4 ?

2) I modeled some buildings in maya , so should I export all model in single fbx file or should i export each building (and props) in different files ( like building A in 1 fbx, B in 2nd fbx file and so on) ?

1) You can do either, but if you apply them in Maya it will likely be easier to see if everything looks generally good, and when you import the UE4 the materials can be setup in a basic sense as long as you check "import materials" on import, and it's especially important if you intend to have multiple materials on a single model.

2) You could both, as long as everything is properly named and every model's origin is at 0,0,0 in Maya... either way works, the advantage of break them into separate FBX files is that it'll make things simpler if you need to reimport the meshes with some changes.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you chose UE4 already but Unity 5 comes with a car example scene, all set up and ready to go. It's in the Sample Assets project, just replace the art with your stuff. They also have a AI car example, so you could easily add AI opponents if you wanted.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you chose UE4 already but Unity 5 comes with a car example scene, all set up and ready to go. It's in the Sample Assets project, just replace the art with your stuff. They also have a AI car example, so you could easily add AI opponents if you wanted.
    Thank you!
    I'll check it. But is it better than UE4's car blueprint ? And can I make most of the things (AI and some other car physics related things) without writing more codes? For non-developers, UE4's blueprint system looks easier, so little bit of code related changes can be easier in UE4.
    And I have no idea about using AI (like for racing game, how other cars go and their way and speed etc ) so do i have to make all of that with codes ? will unity's AI car example would be easier ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea if it'll be easier or harder. I know Blueprint is very good, and is included for free. Unity has at least one node-based gameplay editor (PlayMaker), and everything I've heard about it is excellent, but it costs extra. However I'm not sure if UE4 comes with a full car example scene, already setup and ready to go, whereas Unity does.

It looks like UE4 has one too, but I couldn't find it in the Marketplace.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-42-update-preview
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea if it'll be easier or harder. I know Blueprint is very good, and is included for free. Unity has at least one node-based gameplay editor (PlayMaker), and everything I've heard about it is excellent, but it costs extra. However I'm not sure if UE4 comes with a full car example scene, already setup and ready to go, whereas Unity does.

It looks like UE4 has one too, but I couldn't find it in the Marketplace.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-42-update-preview

Playmaker for Unity looks good and easier than coding in it. Thanks!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    If you're trying to make a full game with a lot of features that one would expect from a racing game, you'll almost certainly have to touch code at one point or another. Blueprint and PlayMaker are both excellent visual scripting tools which can allow non-programmers to make game prototypes, but I think it would be very difficult to build a full, complex game with either. You could still build a worthy prototype without coding anything though.

If you want to touch code at some point, then Unity C# is far easier to grasp for most people than C++. If your goal is to be an artist though, then I'd imagine you probably would just want the best looking prototype, in which case Unreal 4 will allow you to get to that goal faster.

Both engines have vehicle content examples for cars that provide all of the code needed for the project, although UE4 also has a blueprint template you can build off of.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    If you're trying to make a full game with a lot of features that one would expect from a racing game, you'll almost certainly have to touch code at one point or another. Blueprint and PlayMaker are both excellent visual scripting tools which can allow non-programmers to make game prototypes, but I think it would be very difficult to build a full, complex game with either. You could still build a worthy prototype without coding anything though.

If you want to touch code at some point, then Unity C# is far easier to grasp for most people than C++. If your goal is to be an artist though, then I'd imagine you probably would just want the best looking prototype, in which case Unreal 4 will allow you to get to that goal faster.

Both engines have vehicle content examples for cars that provide all of the code needed for the project, although UE4 also has a blueprint template you can build off of.

yes I just want to make simple playable game and learn more about modeling props/environment. :)
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.