Home Technical Talk

Spaceship tutorial

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I was looking for a professional quality level tutorial , even non free, that covers the whole process of making a belieaveable spaceship model or similar flight craft that could be used to put in a movie , so high detail etc.
I haven't been able to find anything apart the usual small tutorial on low poly spaceships .
What I am looking for is mostly the project , planning behind and how to get started to have all well defined and in order to have a fully functional and animateable model ...
With 3dsmax and or zbrush parts.

Of course thanks for any tips :) ...

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think such an exact tutorial exists but there are more then enough tutorials that cover the techniques needed to do what you want.

For example, the Eat3d Dozer dvd is still one of the very best to learn these techniques: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD6MpXjT9eA[/ame]

Any good weapons tutorial will also help you go a long way. Once you are comfortable with the modeling techniques then it is just a matter of finding the right reference (or designing it yourself) and applying them.

If the spaceship will be a static model then you could also use a more conceptual approach using Google Sketchup
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fl5cghsEpU[/ame]
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks , that tutorial of the Bulldozer was already under my radar , are there other similar ones? Or may be regarding airplanes ? :) .
  • peanut™
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    No I dind't see that one thanks ... Btw eventually also Tanks coudl fit in the category :) .

I am more used to model environment and natural stuff rather than mechanical and animateable stuff.
    SO I wanted to see some references and tutorials on how to start well and do a clean work .

Also how to actually "plan" the model , as I immagine there needs to be much befoure due to the needed animations .
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Naima, i bought this tutorial a whileback and never got into it. I finally decided to give it a roll. My only critic so far is that the author uses BodyPaint 3D in the beginning which i don't own.

But nevertheless, this teach you some useful ways you can setup a diffuse texture on a vehicle with good results.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    The process we use is pretty simple;

1.) Get a brief from the designers for the ship's role and abilities so you can match its looks with how the ship will play
    2.) Gather tons of reference for the kind of look you're going for, large mechanical objects especially (Large Hadron Collider is great)
    3.) start blocking out super loose shapes for your ship that fits the style & role of the ship
    4.) plan out larger modules and refine shapes more
    5.) plan out pockets of intense small detail to sell scale, but also plan in large areas of rest with subtle break-up at most
    6.) refine modules & kitbash in small details
    7.) ????
    8.) Profit!