Home Technical Talk

Maya Goz crashes Zbrush or exports broken meshs

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, so I actually found the answer to my question on my own and thought it would be nice to lay it out for others who may run into the same issue.

The problem
What was happening was, I would model several different base meshes in Maya, using crease sets to create hard surface geo, and then pressed the GoZ script. Systematically Zbrush would either crash, or create horribly distorted geometry.

So as it turns out, when I was modeling my multiple items, I had created a crease set and assigned it to the first model I made. I would then duplicate and modify the copy of the model to make other items, keeping the link to the original crease set.

I would delete history, freeze transform, optimize scene size, it would still export either broken or just crash the app.

The solution
All I had to do was DELETE my original crease set and I added a crease set for each item. I made real sure NOT to have shared sets. For some reason, sharing of the crease set would just freak GoZ out!

So that's it folks, of you are working with hard edge and GoZ maya, make sure you never share crease sets between items! Hope this helps!

here is an example of what was happening:
82gFVtq.png

Replies

• terentiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terentiy null
    Thank you for this post.

I've had exactly the same problem and wasted too much time finding the solution. I didn't have any creases in my scene, just a few basic meshes. Tried everything up to reinstalling maya and zbrush.
    SOLUTION:
    I exported my scene as an OBJ and imported it back to the scene, hided my original meshes and Goz'ed imported ones and it worked.
    Hope it helps.
  • cruby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cruby polycounter lvl 6
    Hello there!

I had the same problem as well... Spent a lot of time looking for info about this weird behavior and nothing at all :poly141: Finnaly I found this topic and went further ahead reading info on Maya Crease Sets.

Here's the solution:
    You don't need to worry about creating infinite crease sets for as much as needed. Maya handles the sets inside the program but when you export they aren't baked with those meshes. Kind of Schrödinger but without the cat: They are there, you know they exist, Maya knows and uses it, but isn't really there. At the crease set menu> Edit> Bake Crease Set Values to Mesh. There's no need to select anything, Maya will bake values and delete the sets. After that you can use GoZ properly again.

oh2QWTu.png

Just don't forget to make a copy before export so you can have those sets saved (they are handy, much better than applying manualy edge per edge) and a file for the purpose of exporting with everything OK.