Thanks for the continued comments! I actually got in touch with Stephan Martiniere, the artist responsible for the original concept. I got quite a lot of fantastic feedback from him including the knowledge that he had envisioned a slightly earlier era for some of the architecture than I had picked up on. Essentially, he said there is way too much brick construction overall and that more of the shapes should be fashioned from monolithic stone. I think that will be part of my target for continued work - replacing some brick-heavy assets with more stone focused ones. I expect this will help with some of the tiling as there will be less and I hope it will add some variety to the scene.
The question I need to go back to tackling is the one i was struggling with a bit at the beginning of the project, being, when should an object be a single object and when should it be broken down into pieces. For example, for a flying buttress, should it be all one item? Or would it be better to tackle it by making the lower arch one piece, the capstone on top a separate asset, and the building material between the two a third object?
@ samcole : Sounds like a good plan, and one that is inevitable once i start changing out some assets. Once things start moving the lighting will need to be adjusted to accent accordingly and that will be a perfect time to adjust it overall
@ Mr Smo : The bleaching, totally agree in that area. I had added a bounce spot light in that area pointed up to highlight the bottom of the decor and trim on that wall. It is on its own lighting channel so as to only catch those things. However i also put the bricks we're talking about on that channel and i was back and forth on whether they should actually be lit like that since the light is technically coming from behind them. I think they should be more of a silhouette here instead of bathed in yellow. Once i figure out a handful of assets i want to replace with stone i'll see what that does to my actual construction and perhaps it will address the tiling.
As for the water thanks! I started with Chris Albeluhn's reflective water tutorial. However it was for a fairly large, deep body of water so I altered a good amount of it. I disliked the way his distortions were working for me here so i made a separate network to handle the distortions than was being used for the surface panning and wave normals. also the depth and coloring all had to change since this wasn't nearly as deep. Finally, He left the tutorial with a single variable for specular and I went ahead and came up with a network that used some masks to outline some of the tops of the waves specifically.
@ jonas-144 : Thanks