Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Lone Druid – Mystic Bear Set

Hello Polycount!

Hopefully it is not too late to join the Dota2 party! :)

My friend Salvo and me (DanBe) are going for the Lone Druid and want to bring him back to his ancestral origins with the Mystic Bear Set.

Salvo = concept art + design + texturing
DanBe = lowpoly + highpoly modeling + texturing

Current Update:

Druid Higress:
druidhires.jpg

WereBear Higress:
werebearhires.jpg

Lone Druid:

druidturnarroundfinal.jpg

Werebear:

werebearturnarroundfina.jpg

C&C welcome!

Replies

• DanBe
    We were at first interested in the Templar assassin, but unfortunately her design was pretty much set in stone, since we wanted a tad more design freedom.

here was Salvo's initial sketch for her, but after we figured out the limitations, we dumped her.

OLD Templar Assassin Sketch:

phantomsketch.jpg

After that we went with Death Prophet, but actually already had a big interest as well in Lone Druid.

OLD Death Prophet Sketches:

deathprophetsketchespre.jpg
    deathprophetfinaldirspr.jpg

We are now settled in lone druid and able to post our first post. This is the character we want to go for.

Lone Druid initial sketch:

druid03.jpg
  • skrap'D
    really nice concept work!

this seems like a really dark take on druid, but i like the savage/wild feel like he's a beast even when not in bear form.
  • DanBe
    Thanks for stopping by skrap'D

Yeah we want to take him towards a shaman / savage ancestral feel. His color pallet wont make him as dark looking, since we will keep it in his current color palette.
    He is turning into a huge savage bear, so we want to make him already fierce
    from the start.

Once Salvo resolved the Druid, he will tackle the Were-bear.
    Should be able to post soon with updates! :)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet, digging the dark vibe! Gogogo, lets see the 3D already :D
  • agentfx
    a few technical notes to think about as you go.

Size of the bear he turns into... I don't think you can make a new skeleton or edit the current skeleton (yet) so you might have issues getting him to fit to the skeleton, or have weird binding issues b/c his TF head is kinda low (same height as his normal head.) It's these kinds of issues that I find stifle creativity a bit. We need to edit the skeleton just a little sometimes.

also its says "Please note that the Shoulder item for Lone Druid is shared across both his Druid and True Form models, so you'll want to keep this in mind when you design and fit the model." so the bear will have the shoulder armor as well. But I'm not 100% sure how that works since the current one changes size and shape between the 2 models (same poly count tho)
    Anyway I'd suggest testing out some things on the technical end try to figure out how to make it all work. Good luck. post your technical findings and issues maybe we can help you figure them out so you can make this happen.

Edit: I'm finding there is a way to customize the skeleton, but haven't figured out how yet. (if you even need to)
  • Futashia
    make him dat sexy helm
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    OMG great concepts here, I hope this turns out something extraordinary. I'm just here to remind you to keep your distance from the orcs of heroes (might&magic) 6 because at this stage the armor set and the bear form resembles (very much) some creatures from that faction. It's still at the rough concept stage so I'm sure you will make this more original, good luck.
  • DanBe
    First of all thanks for all the awesome comments!

@Spudnik: Will try to get to the 3D asap, I am myself just wrapping up some freelance work besides having a fulltime job. If needed I will take a few days off and try to make the 3D justice for Salvos awesome concepts.

@agentfx: thanks so much for the technical heads up! We wont touch the skeleton. As we are short on time. We will make the old skeleton work even trying to transfer the weights and maybe blend shapes. Its possible to do so if we stay close to the proportions of the original. We will def add the shoulder pad to the Werebear. We really want to make the druid and the Werebear s close as possible. Meaning, the Head + shoulder pad + Back Fur will be almost identical. This way you will be able to recognize the druid in the Werebear and vise versa.

@Futashia: Will be done! ;)

@Marul: Salvo won’t disappoint you ;)

I can see what made you think this, truth be told, any shamanic savage might remind you of those characters as any Demon with huge shoulder pads might do that too with other games. Idiosyncrasy is unavoidable.

Down the road we then nailed more or less the objective of a shamanic savage.I think that we will still be quiet different, since we have different color pallets and clothes. Also style wise we will be different from those Orcs.

I will leave you the judge of this in this new update. And I am more then eager to hear your opinion after this update ;)

Here is our more rendered version of the Druid. Hope you guys like it.

Lone Druid First Render Draft:

druidturnarround.jpg

C&C are Welcome!

• Kralzar
    Looks good... Stop dancin around the issue and get some 3D on this thread. :-)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool, the only thing that I could say is that the weapon is thrown, so maybe let that influence the design a bit more. Other than that, fantastic, I can't wait to see it in 3D!
  • zicoV
    Holy awesome concept batman! I was thinking of making a lone druid set. Glad I didn't if it had to compare to this :)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea that is savage and works for me, looks like a strong concept.

You can do some nice things with that hair/"maine" regarding colors as well. :)
  • DanBe
    Thanks for the great feedback! Much appreciated guys!
    @Spudnik Thanks a bunch for the heads up about the Weapon. We will definitely take this in consideration and make the design changes so it fits his attack.

I will be started to block out the mesh in 3D this weekend. Meanwhile we might get an updated from Salvo on further refinements.
  • DanBe
    Hey guys, sorry been a bit slowly on our end. But still in the game! :)

Here is our pretty much final Druid, just gonna add some color for the color palette.

Salvo will soon post the final Druid before he fleshes out the Werebear and gets to the spirit bear. I have to get my gear rolling for the 3D.

Lone Druid:

druidturnarroundtone03.jpg

Here is our dark take of the Werebear.

Werebear:

warebear01small.jpg
  • Salvo
    Hi Polycounters!

I'm finally here to actually post my own work, life and work have been all consuming...
    Here are Our final Concepts for the Lone Druid!

Its awesome to finally be able to take a look at everyone else's entries, some pretty sweet stuff going on!

Hopefully Danbe and I can pull this out, Time to Haul some major A** on the 3D!

druidturnarroundfinal.jpg
    werebearturnarroundfina.jpg
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Really sick man!

I'm loving this. Can't wait to see the finished result!
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, those are some gorgeous concepts on all the heroes. The Lone Druid is looking great, really interesting direction you're taking him in. Looking forward to some 3D, keep it up!
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Nice concepts. Go fast with the 3D!
  • DanBe
    Salvo initial Blockin of the Werebear!

werebearblocking.jpg

Druid soon to come!
  • Kralzar
    Cool to see you sculpt again. Keep it up.
  • xandriusx
    Hi, I have just signed up here to support your set, Lone Druid is my favourite hero, and I truly love your concept. So good luck, continue your good job and please finish it in time, I need to see it in the game!

PS: shut up and take my money!
  • TeeStock
    Awesome concept. Love the bear, creepy as hell! Looking forward to seeing the texturing
  • xandriusx
    gogogo I need to see updates! xD
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet sketches:)
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    I absolutely love what you're doing with this Danbe, I wish I had more time to devote to this myself. I'd love to do a redesign of the True Form and Spirit Bear as well.

Best of luck to you, I hope you finish this in time for the deadline. It looks great!
  • Salvo
    Wow its been pretty insane pushing to finish! Danbe unfortunately had to peel more time from this and put it into professional 3D work so I have taken my best stab at the hi-poly
    for both characters, Dan will be assisting mostly with Tech stuff as I am not adept in this. Its been over 2.5 years since I had even opened Zbrush. Lots had changed! On to texturing...soon...very soon!

Thanks For Looking!

werebearhires.jpg
    druidhires.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome! Really liking this design.
  • xandriusx
    Oh my god oh my god, I definitely need this set, keep the good job and please finish it in time!!

PS: please don't forget the Spirit Bear, do it for all the Lone Druid fans!!!
  • xandriusx
    you have one more day guys, good luck you can do it!
  • xandriusx
  • Salvo
    Hi,
    I just wanted to put up a quick note for all who have supported our set. Unfortunately Danbe and I where not able to complete our set on time for the Polycount Competition. We worked very hard up to the last moment but fell into some tech issues that put us out of the race.
    The issues have been resolved now and we have complete intention of finishing the set and submitting it to the dota workshop soon.

IT WILL BE FINISHED, spirit bear and all :) So keep an eye out for it...
    Danbe will be posting a preview of the lowpoly bear with textures. We are happy with where it is headed and hope to deliver something extraordinary to the Dota2 community.

Thanks again to polycount and the community for all the support.

-Salvo and Danbe
  • xandriusx
    I CURSE YOU TECH ISSUES! xD

Well guys, it's sad that you couldnt finish it for the contest, I am sure you would have been included in the winners.

Anyway I'm happy to know you will finish the set, I'll wait impatiently to see it in the workshop and later in the game.

Good luck with it, and finish it as soon as possible!!!
  • xandriusx
    Are you still working on it?
  • BearsAremajestic
    This looks amazing! Especially his bear form! It has that feeling value for his ultimate!
  • csluyuan
    I'm finally here to actually post my own work, life and work have been all consuming...
    Here are Our final Concepts for the Lone Druid!

Its awesome to finally be able to take a look at everyone else's entries, some pretty sweet stuff going on!

Hopefully Danbe and I can pull this out, Time to Haul some major A** on the 3D!
  • Taumich
    looks cool, looking forward into seeing it when it's done :)
  • Gizmokiller
    Hi guys, sorry for my bad english, i'm french, i will like know if this set for the lone druid will be upload in the marketplace of dota 2 :), since march there is no news for this set :(
  • Gizmokiller
    Hi guys, sorry for my bad english, i'm french, i will like know if this set for the lone druid will be upload in the marketplace of dota 2 :), since march there is no news for this set :(