Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    sonofa, I couldn't tell them apart at all.
  • Svdl
    I'm a little sad to see the big wooden stock gone, it gave me more mid century era vibes than the little modern looking stock, and it could've been nicely offset with a longer barrel
    But even so, the gun's looking amazing. It still could use the longer barrel to help with the silhouette, though.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    After giving it some thought, I've decided that even though my design is pretty similar to the other needle guns, I'm going to keep the design anyway. I did lengthen the barrel a bit, but I don't think it was as much necessary for silhouette purposes as it was to just make it cool.

If you take a look at this image, you can see that the first two needle guns were almost identical in silhouette except for a little bit on the top and front. Still, that's enough to differentiate them in-game. Mine may be pretty similar, but I think it's also different enough that it could go alongside them without much trouble.
    kDz5j.jpg

And now, since I feel I've done all I can with this design short of rebuilding it from the ground up (which I certainly considered several times), I'm going to call it finished.

So there you have it. The Nadelwerfer.
    usWVd.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice! It's definitely different enough from the others while still being recognizeable.

I like that graphic you did too! Do you have a link to the TF2 text? I've never picked it up anywhere and it'd be useful to have.
  • christermime
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    This came out really nice, you did a good job keeping the silhouette distinct from the other needle guns while emphasizing the fact that it's a bit more high-powered with the stock. (is that the right term? I'm not very gun-savvy)

Great job keeping the textures synced up with the TF2 style too. I'm excited to see the rest of your stuff :)
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    That looks great! The texture's spot on too. I can't wait to see what you do with the medic saw.
  • Skell
    The Nadelwerfer looks great and all, but how is it going to be reloaded? If it is the thing with the red top, then I really can't see how it works.

I'll be watching.
  • AyesDyef
    FFFF, I was going to change the tip of my needle gun to look like that D:

Looks great though :P
  • Guitbox
    BEAUTIFUL. I want that for my insulin shots! :)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    AyesDyef wrote: »
    FFFF, I was going to change the tip of my needle gun to look like that D:
    I don't see why you couldn't still do that. With an abundance of entries, I don't see any reason why similarities should actually be a problem, if something is good it just increases the likelihood that that feature gets included.
  • Damo
    Oooh, that wood texture for the handle is very nice indeed. Shame we won't be able to see the majority of the texture ingame.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, you're already done 1/3! Planning on making more than 3? 5 week item set blitz?

Looks awesome. I like how similar it is to the existing guns. It fits right in.

Couple crits: I think you should add more brush strokes to the large flat face on the front side; just to break it up a bit. It still looks kind of plain. If not that, maybe a Mann co. or other logo would help add some interest to that area. I also think you should add more detail to the wood handle texture. Look at the wooden handle on the ambassador or the sandman. There's still a lot of wood grain visible in those.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Damn thats looking sweet swizzle!
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Very nice! It's definitely different enough from the others while still being recognizeable.

I like that graphic you did too! Do you have a link to the TF2 text? I've never picked it up anywhere and it'd be useful to have.

Can be found here.
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\yoursteamname\team fortress 2\tf\resource

• Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator:
    You can grab the TF2 fonts by using GCFScape and opening the TF2 content GCF. Then go to tf/resource and find them in that folder. They're TTF files.

Norron:
    I have a couple of ideas for the saw, but nothing definitive yet. I tried to draw up some more concepts today, but I hit a bit of a block and decided to sleep on it.

Frump:
    I've been thinking about what I could do once I'm finished with the medic items. I'd like to try my hand at something for the sniper or demoman, but I haven't really decided yet. It's still way too early to make any decisions like that, especially considering I also have two other items that need to be made.
    I actually played around with adding stripes, a red cross and some other stuff in that blank area. It didn't work out so hot. I'm probably going to add a couple more subtle brush strokes, though, just to break it up a touch. I'm almost certainly going to be adding some more detail to the grip, though it probably wouldn't warrant any more updates or images.

To everybody else:
    Thanks for all the kind words. I'll have some more concepts and stuff up tomorrow.
  • Monkeez
    I really like the way your needle gun has turned out, I don't think the similarities to the other guns will be a problem. The different barrel and the added stock give it a nice aggressive feel compared to the other needle guns. Any new items for medic to get more people playing the class is plus for me.
  • FlonZ
    The textures are right on! You've got some great ideas.
    Any thoughts on the backpack? I saw Y_M with some great concepts.
  • Buck
    Jizzed everywhere, its beautiful.
  • Blueplastic
    this is...beautiful...
  • Xeramon
    Wow o.o Der Nadelwerfer ist realy awesome :D
  • Sileya
    how about a first person view ? :D
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I think you should loose those two screws on the top front of it, or at least make them smaller. without a spec map the glossy shine jsut washes right over them and since I expect to see more than a couple freeze cams of you killing me with it I'd hate for that to detract from the quality.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Zipfinator:
    You can grab the TF2 fonts by using GCFScape and opening the TF2 content GCF. Then go to tf/resource and find them in that folder. They're TTF files.

To everybody else:
    Thanks for all the kind words. I'll have some more concepts and stuff up tomorrow.

Thanks!

Can't wait to see your "concepts and stuff"!
  • youngoli
    I don't know why, but something about the coloring strikes me as a little off, although it might just be the lighting in the picture. Otherwise, the gun looks awesome.
  • EvilShadow777
    Der Nadelwerfer..... I simply love it from the name down to the model. Well thought out and put together, quite frankly I think you shouldn't change a thing about it.
  • Blueplastic
    But...how can medic reload "the nadelwerfer"...
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody!

Scudz:
    It actually does have a spec map. The lighting in that render just didn't show it off very well. Them screws is shiny!

youngoli:
    I think it's just the lighting. I actually sampled colors directly from the texture of the needlegun.

Blueplastic:
    Ever seen the reload animations for the other needleguns? Yeah, not a problem here.

Sooooo... there are a few problems. Well, actually just one big one. I thought the medic held the needlegun with his elbow farther out from his body, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem to have the stock.

Oh, how wrong I was.

o24hb.jpg

Oops.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Damn, well that explains why neither of the other two have stocks.

Maybe you could go with a hard stock almost flush with the back of the gun? I dunno.
  • Djokson
    Kinda reminds me of a WH40K Boltgun, that's a good thing though, I like how this is getting along, can't wait to see the power tool modeled!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    you could probably get away with shrinking the stock a bit
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like both the grip and trigger are clipping too, is there an overall scale issue too?

Looks like a beast of a needle gun :D
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I like it.

Maybe you could angle the stock upwards, or he could just hold it with his arms raised a bit higher.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, looks like there isn't going to be any sort of stock on the Nadelwerfer. I've tried a few tests, shrinking it and moving it around, but there simply isn't room with the medic's arm there. There was a bit of a scale issue, as Y_M said, with the handle, but I cleared that up. I'm just going to get rid of the stock, rearrange the UVs a bit and call it done.

After trying to come up with a power saw design that works and wouldn't require too terribly much trouble to implement, I've decided to leave the power saw idea for a bit and go for something a little more traditional. I may get back to the power saw, but at the moment the design just isn't working out. Thus:
    S2LRd.jpg
  • vcool

The blade should be held like in the manual saw, with these clamp things.
  • youngoli
    I like 3 and 5 in entirely different ways. 2 is nice too, but probably too similar to the bonesaw.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really into any of these designs. They're fine designs but I don't think that you should just do a simple saw replacement unless it's going to be similarly themed to The Nadelwerfer (The wooden handle for instance). That also makes me ask what is your theme? I'm not sure that you've come up with one yet. You should definitely choose something because that would greatly help designing the other two items.

Anyway if I had to pick one I'd go with #2.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    That is really a shame about the stock on your needle gun. As far as the saws go I would definitely have to say 5, but im still holding out for a bad ass power saw :poly136:.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator:
    I guess I haven't spelled out the theme very well, but what I've had in mind is something like "The Field Surgery Kit." I want the weapons to be reminiscent of the Mauser C69 with the rounded wooden handles and dark metal. The weapons would probably be leftovers from WWII or something like that, but in keeping with the TF2 aesthetic. I admit I hadn't really settled on that exact theme until Zwebbie mentioned the C69 way back on page 1, but I've had the battle medic or field surgery idea since the start.

nrek:
    I really like the power saw idea as well, but I can't seem to come up with a design that works for me. The round saw blades don't seem to be aggressive enough.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    What about doing something that mixes these bone saw designs with a mechanized handle that allows the saw to thrust forward and backward a few inches at a pretty high speed. Like a larger version of a reciprocating saw, that could be pretty mean.
  • Man of Popsicle
    nrek:
    I really like the power saw idea as well, but I can't seem to come up with a design that works for me. The round saw blades don't seem to be aggressive enough.
    Have you considered doing something like an electric knife, only on a larger scale? It would give you the aggressive look of a bonesaw, only like a power tool.

I dunno, just throwing out ideas.
  • pedropaulo
    why u dont try this shape:
    velociraptor+cr%C3%A2nio.jpg

some like a Velociraptor head.

VelociSawptor? Hahaha, just a guess :)
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    a turkey knife :D
    i'm really fond of the nadelwerfer texture. you always have that valve style down to the bone :)
    what i liked to know, is that a 1024x1024 texture or really the required 512 already ? anyways, do you mind posting the texture sheet :D ?
  • Naso
    Number two definitely catches my eye, wish you came up with different handles!
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    I like number 3, kind of reminds me of a wood saw or something. I think that one had potential for more design work.
  • SixTwoSixFour

Have you considered pursuing a reciprocating saw-esque design? Obviously, you would need to make the saw blade significantly bigger, and the motor area smaller, but it seems a good compromise between a power saw's mechanism and a hand saw's aggressive appearance.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    saw.JPGamputation%20saw%20A121436_%200001%20%20jpg.ashxHernstein%20amputation%20saw.JPGhommedia.ashx?id=9916&size=Small
    Just some images that i thought looked interesting and had interesting hadles. Hope this helps! :|
  • Simski
  • EvilShadow777
    2 blends better into TF2's style IMO.
    Also too bad Der Nadelwerfer couldn't use the stock, it was a nice design point. Still an awesome looking needlegun.
  • Xeramon
    I like number 2 and 5!
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I love the hook in number 5 but I don't think it has the best outline. 3 looks best and I'd make the blade removable like the images betty hime posted.
  • AyesDyef
    I'd say I like number 2 and 3 the most.