Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - something something pg13 - Scudz

Very cool contest idea.

So what I'm thinking here is a sorta low/mid poly diorama based around a group of kids escaping from some big slasher-beastie (or maybe vise-versa:eek:). 80's based so think Goonies/Monster Squad for the kids, and the more gruesome stuff like Fright Night/Night Breed type stuff for the Beastie. First up is a quick sketch of the kids, each named for an 80's horror director:

Kids_concept_01.jpg

---- Latest update ----
MurderMountainFinals_01.jpg

Replies

• gillmeister74
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Dekker looks rad. Good looking proportions, I think you should definitely try to push Kat and Tommy as far as Dekker in terms of style, maybe have them relate to some classic slasher character archetypes?

Can't wait to see what you do though! It's going to be good
  • akacg
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Nice sketch you have their. And 3 characters sounds fun but to much work for me. Good luck
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Very cool idea. I would attack the 'Goonies' motif even more aggressively: Your designs look like good-looking twenty-somethings. Ugly/dweeby teens/pre-teens would be great for this sort of theme.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    gillmeister74: Thanks man. It's just a first pass there and while Dekker and Tommy have actual designs going on, I haven't really figured out Kat's look just yet. Tommy is based pretty specifically on Jesse from Return of the Living Dead part 2, while Dekker is kind of a mix of what I remember Luis Tripps character in Gate 2 looking like and this guy from Freaks and Geeks.

akacg: Thanks, it's 4 characters though, the Beastie is still coming. - haven't decided if he's gonna have nards or not

adam: Thanks! yeah the age isn't really coming across in that first pic, I'm going for around 13 - 14 and while I think the body sizes are about right, the faces don't fit.

New faces:
    Kids_concept_02.jpg
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    seems promising, and the new faces seem more juvenile, although Tommy seems to have a bit of a strong jaw and chin for a teenager.

Any idea for the environment ?
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    nice man i dig the idea! will be watching for updates.
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    quite an ambitious project! I'm looking forward to more :)
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahah what an ace idea! the dude on the right even looks like Corey Feldman.

Great work as usual. :thumbup:
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Fryingpan: Thanks, I'm hoping to get the ages across better in the models.
    Azkur, Intervain, duncan: Thanks!

Just a few little updates, some revisions on Tommy and some actual work on Kat, can't quite decide between the jean jacket or vest (also added some freckles)
    Kids_concept_05.jpg
    Kids_concept_04.jpg

And the first monster pass. The tentacle arm is a little wip'y but I really wanna do something with tentacles. Deliberately kept the eye's off cause that kinda freaks me, plus the smiling mouth full of needle-teeth. His coat is split all the way up the back so he can flap it out like wings batman-style. Hopefully not too Jason
    Kids_concept_03.jpg
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    AWESOME. for Kat I would go for the vest for sure.
  • gillmeister74
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Lord Fryingpan: Forgot to answer your environment question in the last post; It's going to depend on where I go with the beastie, but probably something woodsy. Either way fairly simple.
    Vray, gillmeister74: Thanks:)
    duncan: Cheers, man. I was pretty set on the vest as soon as I drew it but thought I should at least have some options. I do think it's important for each to have a distinct look though which the jacket-hoodie-vest combo lends itself to.

Some t-shirt options for Dekker. I'm planning to set the scene around 1984-ish and have been looking at some rock/metal/film designs from that time. Right now I'm leaning towards the Thriller zombie graphic as that scared that crap when I was a kid (to the point I had to destroy my parents cassette). Whatever I do go with will just be a blueprint for a fictional property though. - Greentooth is most likely going to be one of the pins on his jacket.
    Kids_concept_06.jpg

While thinking of a title I've come up with these Mediocre Movie Monikers:

Something's Under the Bed
    Don't Open the Closet
    Deadtime
    Late Night in the 80's
    Terror at the Drive-in
    Fresh Meat
    Night of the Monsters
    Flesh Circus
    Plague of Souls
    Under an Evil Moon
    Study-hall Slaughter
    Blood Camp at Death Beach
    Sleepover of Doom

Not really sold on any of these, and some definitely lend themselves to specific scenes, but I thought I'd put them out there.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Few more Beasties;

Werewolf:
    Kids_concept_07.jpg

Cthulu smoke monster:
    Kids_concept_08.jpg

Old Witch:
    Kids_concept_09.jpg
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I love all your concepts, really nice stuff.

I like the left version of Kat the best, my favourite of the 3 is Dekker. I think he would have the most interesting personality! (No obese kid in the group??)

The beasties are excellent as well, I love the draped mask. I think the Cthulu smoke beastie might be my least favourite only because he's not exactly a perfect fit with the others, which are more traditional 'staples' in the scare business. I still love the concept though.

I look forward to more!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks shabba:) Dekker is definitely the most developed at this point and I like him a better than I expected myself. Maybe us polycounters just relate better to a certain type of nerd;) Outside of comic-relief I don't really see the point of a fat kid (and really then I'd just be making Monster House without the house).

So here's my absolutely amazing thumbnail sketch of the basic design:

Kids_concept_10.jpg

Essentially the masked killer is hiding under a mossy tree stump cradling his severed tentacle-arm (LotR Ringwraith style) while the kids are looking to finish the job. Kat has stolen his machette, Tommy has an axe... that was visible when I started this thing; and Dekker is using an Advanced D&D manual for monster-killer strategies.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Last sketch update before some proper threedee's:

Kids_concept_11.jpg

trying out a couple different proportions. The first is mostly the original, and then a fatty and a skinny (though all with weenie stick legs). Also a few name idea's but nothing's really sticking.
  • Stormie
    He looks like a "Grim" to me.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    dXdN0.gif

That is all. I'm eyeing this closely!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Its family friendly : D
    totes dig the idea for this, excited to peep it in 3d. Monsters are gonna be fun ^_^
  • dtran
    Excellent lot of characters you have here, looking forward to seeing more.
  • akacg
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    This is a lot of characters and your sculpts are awesome. you 1up me again
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Stormie: I'm leaning between that and Cyrus, but maybe Sackface
    Wahlgren: :D
    Nizza: Thanks dude, I'm only doing Sackface for sure, but the game premise would use all of em.
    dtran: Thanks man:)
    akacg: Dude, be modest on your own time. My 1-ups are all shroom-based ;)

What do people think of the title Escape from Murder Mountain?

Here's the basic outline for the game (scenes):

Our three heroes were on a school field trip when their bus broke down on a mountain road. Shortly before sundown the teachers and most of the other students disappeared. After some exploring and slipping in body parts they discovered the source of their problems, They were'nt on just any mountain, they were on Murder Mountain!

Murder Mountain is home to all things evil. Redneck Mutants, Werewolf Wendigo's, Witches and Trolls (except leprechaun's cause they don't exist), if it only comes out at night or wear's other peoples skin for longjohns this is where its set up shop.

As a game MM uses a three character system along the lines of Lost Vikings or Trine. Each character has a unique skill-set useful in different situations. Tommy, the smallest of the group is the Sneak Thief. He can move unseen in the shadows and fit into places the others can't. Dekker is the Dungeon Master. Using a miss-printed edition AD&D manual he has access to magic and creature lore that allows him to move otherwise impassable objects, cast fire or healing spells and discover enemy weaknesses. Kat is the Warrior. Fast and athletic she has a natural ability to use blunt objects with deadly precision. Given something meant to be a weapon and she's unstoppable.

The goal is to search the mountain for survivors and save as many as you can. The mountain is broken up into level sections, each containing an assortment of either smaller foes such as Gremlins and Zombies, to big bad's like the Witch or Sackface.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds BOSS!
    I really dig the character specific specialities. As far as designs for Sackface go I am really digging on the middle guy, he has a great sense of weight to him, it is quite foreboding, I like it. I am not 100% on Murder Mountain though, I am not sure why but it makes me think of a cheezy theme park. I like the idea of naming it after whatever they are going to ON the mountain. sort of like
    - Blood Camp at Murder at Mountain
    - Bloodbath on Murder Mountain
    - Campsite Crazies

hahaha they are all rubbish but If I come up with something half decent I will let you know.

Such a great idea man. So keen for some more. I am really looking forward to some 3Dz
  • ScudzAlmighty
    3DEEEEEEEEEE!

rough Sackface sculpts. mostly just proportions and block-ins. tentacle arm is coming later.
    MurderMountain_001.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Today's update, a lot of stuff to tweak and the coat and boots haven't been touched yet.

MurderMountain_002.jpg
  • dtran
    the sculpt is looking great! love it.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man excellent idea, really diggin the proportions, that style is gonna translate real nice into 3d. The specific character traits also add a nice touch to their design personalities.
    Kat Needs lots of cute freckles!! DO ET NAOW! lol

"Escape From Murder Mountain" sounds cool, depends if you wanna include escape in the title, you could switch it for something relating to the way home, long road home, finding that safe path or something I dunno lol eitherway that sounds good already, Keep it up dude! :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    dtran: Thanks man:)
    Mask_Salesman: Kat's gonna have so many freckles her freckles will have freckles! but maybe just 6 ;) I may tweak the title a little more. maybe.

Sackface Sculpt:

MurderMountain_003.jpg
    MurderMountain_004.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Quick block-ins for the kids:
    MurderMountain_005.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Trying out a scale adjustment on Sackface:

MurderMountain_006.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Man these sculpts are looking ace so far. I think I would definitely go for the taller bad guy.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks Duncan, I'm thinking that too :D

little bit of work on Tommy and Dekker:
    MurderMountain_007.jpg
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    I would imagine your villain to have wider feet, an generally wider lower body proportions, to make him look more menacing, unescapable.

Just my two cents.
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    This is all looking awesome! Not sure what your plans are for Tommy's nose, but It's very sharp and angular right now, looks more like an adult's nose? I'm not sure, but It feels too arrow like and not young. That's the only thing that really jumps out at me currently though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Lord Fryingpan: Thanks for the input dude. I like where he's at right now but I'll keep that in mind.
    Safemilk: Thanks man, you're definitely right about the nose and I've fixed that (hopefully).

Haven't had much time this week but I've done a bit more with Tommy. Still need to work on some details and work on the symmetry.

MurderMountain_008.jpg
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Really awesome work man!
    Just out of curiosity, are you using the Arsh base mesh? The hands and head seem to have the same topology in the early shots ;).
    Once again, awesome design and execution so far! :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Japhir: I was earlier yeah, retop'd between last two Tommy posts though.

Minor update:
    MurderMountain_009.jpg
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Great idea, I reckon the 'dark man' will have to come across as evil and grotesque to sell this properly. Like, soul reaping/Nightmare on Elm Street. What are you going to do for the environment?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks Target, a lot of that will be in the texture. For the environment I'm planning on a simple little hillside mine opening they can all stand around, with some rocks and trees.

Pretty busy this week and the next to come but a bit more done on Dekker:

MurderMountain_010.jpg

He say's the jacket is his dad's from 'nam, but really he got it at an army surplus store so he can pretend the father he never met was a hero.
    (The back is really lumpy and ugly cause I made it wrong, not because of battle damage)
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    Nice man! This is looking even better. Yeah I think you fixed Tommy's nose, it still has that 'character' in it that you were going for, but it looks more soft and fits his head better. I love the folds in your clothes. Keep it up!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks Daniel :)

A bit of proportion tweaking on Dekker and Tommy, slightly larger hands and narrower in the knees. Tommy's also had some light facial adjustments:
    MurderMountain_012.jpg
    MurderMountain_013.jpg

And a first pass on Kat:
    MurderMountain_011.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, Kat's got quite a masculine silhouette from the jacket like shes packing some super ripped lats underneath lol. I quite liked Dekkers age in the concept, he looks abit younger atm? Sackface & Tommy are really coming along great tho :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks Mask. her vest is pretty puffy there which (I think) is contributing to that, along with her hair obscuring most of that area. Here's a shot with and without either of those that hopefully reads as more feminine:

MurderMountain_015.jpg
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Just widen the hips, that would help instantly
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks Slipgate, that does help:)

A little more work on Kat here some facial stuff including eyelashes and mask-freckles, plus wider hips. I've also tried to include some little story telling elements in the models. So at some point during the adventure/escape/game Tommy's leg has been injured and Kat tore of a sleeve to use as a bandage.

MurderMountain_016.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Faces (w/paintover eye's and lenses):

MurderMountain_017.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I still have to refine Kat's vest, Dekker's hair and all their hands but this is about it for hp:

MurderMountain_018.jpg
    MurderMountain_019.jpg
    MurderMountain_020.jpg

-borders are the same to show height differences.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Lovely stuff so far guys !
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Thanks man.
    I'll uh, be sure to let my other personalities know;)