Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Nyx Assassin – The Chosen's Carapace

Zpzc2.jpg

Here it is, all together:
zSJsg.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

---old wip---
Hey guys, working on a set for my favorite hero. So far I've done a basic first concept, I'd like some opinions on color and the armor itself.

45lZ6.jpg

Edit: items on their own.

Claws:
zRN5D.jpg

Horn:
GMolb.jpg

Body Armor:
cC4Ud.jpg

Replies

• Ex4000
    Looks pretty cool, I think it might be a little to much like the default armor though, its hard to tell without it being 3d.
  • Mulkyz
    Yeah I agree. That's why I was looking at doing some of the different colors, like blue to look a bit more royal.

Here's an alternate horn to break it up a bit, and make it more different from the original:

W3b4M.jpg
  • Mulkyz
    Alright, so I think I'll have to stick with red. It'd be nice if I could ask Valve what they thought of the color scheme for Nyx, because I've had a lot of people say they like the blue and green.

Anyway, some more horn refinement and back armor ideas, and also the original model for comparison:

7Buyf.jpg
  • Mulkyz
    Gotten a bunch of feedback so far and the combined opinions have led to this:

m8jdW.jpg

I do like the other horns quite a lot so I might make them seperately afterwards to come out alongside the set
  • Mulkyz
    So the thread's been quite a wasteland.

I can only really assume that's because the design isn't wildly different from the original. I'm mostly worried that if I do something crazy and creative that it wouldn't get in the game, since Valve have set pretty strict requirements with the characters, and need to keep a similar shape and set of colors

If only I could summon them and ask, haha.
  • Mavell Duceau
    Well i for one hink it looks muchly good! especially the hooked claws.
  • Core7SO
    I kind of have the same problem also with NA.

Feedback from here and from personal friends that my set was "too similar" to the default. I just jumped on modeling a blocky base mesh, and after little tweaks during the modelling process I tested it in game; and I found the charm I wanted to give on it without even being half finished. Now I'm more secure on what to change, what to improve, what to conserve, what to discard; and even got little ideas I should experiment with.

So I suggest you to follow the same way :) just keep the work flow and if you feel like doing crazy stuff but you are worried, do it gradually, so you can keep it under control, and don't have to scrap everything to start over :D
  • Mulkyz
    Thanks Mavell :) much appreciated

That actually makes sense Core, I was really hesitant about modelling because I don't want to get to the end and change my mind about it. When you think about custom sets that are already in the game they are actually pretty similar in concept, I think it just doesn't fully come out until it's actually in game. Thanks a lot :)
  • Mulkyz
    Done a basic layout of the modelled set, still getting the right shape and whatnot.

92vTc.jpg

I'm happy with the shape of the horn, but texture-wise I might alter it to fit something on it rather than just flat metal.

Thoughts?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Great progress
  • Mulkyz
    Slow progress since I'm still kinda buried in school work. Our big project finishes this week so hopefully I can spend a bunch of time texturing. Here's the basic colors, I've worked a little bit on the weapons:

cQqeq.jpg
  • Mulkyz
    Done some texturing on the weapons, here they are in dota:
    0t8IF.jpg
    I'm having trouble matching the shininess of Nyx's default armor with the two masks, even though I'm using values that are pretty close to Nyx's.
  • JGcount
    Well, it is going to be hard for you to catch the light the same way, since you dont have a normal map, if I am not mistaking?
  • Mulkyz
    You are correct - I don't own any sort of sculpting program since I'm just starting out. Do you think it'd be better to just use a program like nDo to make one?

Previously I've made a pair of Lycan claws and managed to get them to match pretty well without the use of a normal map.
  • Mulkyz
    Ok, hardened some edges and messed with the mask1 and mask2 files. Relatively happy with it for now:
    G9ZcD.jpg
    there's a weird gold color that shows up at the tip of the blades at certain angles (you can see it in this picture), I'm not sure what that is but it's not the biggest problem so I'll work on texturing the other pieces of the set now since there is only just over a week left
  • JGcount
    I think it would be worth it, just to reinforce that gold rim on the armor parts, with a normal map.

In terms of the gold spec on the claws, nyx has some funny things with the "diffuse spec color" layer in the masks where yellow/brown patches show up. Haven't been able to completely figure it out myself
  • Mulkyz
    JG I made the claws darker in the alpha channel of mask 2 and it changed that weird shine from yellow to blue. I also added a normal map for the gold trim, wow it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion :)

zRN5D.jpg
    I also redid the pattern and colors on the shield. Although there is still that problem with the blue shine on the tips I may have to just start on the helmet and armor since time's running out.
  • Mulkyz
    JGCNy.jpg

Helmet is now in-engine and almost ready to go :) pretty happy with it other than the ridiculous saturation on the horn. I'll tweak the mask1 and mask2 files tomorrow and then start on the body armor
  • Mulkyz
    Helmet is all fixed :)

GMolb.jpg

Onto the body armor
  • Mulkyz
    Armor is in :)

cC4Ud.jpg

I can't figure out a way to get the whole set in game though, I might have to just use marmoset or something to have the whole thing together
  • Mulkyz
    zSJsg.jpg
    3 imports and a little photoshop does the trick :)
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job looks good, the presentation render is really dark though. Need to add some light to that scene.
  • Mulkyz

Yeah it is hey, I think I made the background too dark as well, was kind of trying to make it sort of night-ish but ended up making it invisible :/