Home Technical Talk

[Mudbox] Repetitive objects

Is there a possibility in Mudbox to sculpt repetitive objects simultaneously? So that when I sculpt on one of them, the others take over the same sculpt?

The objects have slightly different geometry, but identical UVs and topology.

Looks like this (it's supposed to be a trilobite), and I want to sculpt the 12 segments:
mudbox_segments.jpg

Replies

• fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Never tried actually...But:

If your meshes are exactly the same, you can try to overlap the uvs, sculpt and bake one, and the use sculpt using map (make sure you're subdividing each mesh to a reasonable amount to catch the details of the map, so my guess would be smaller ones don't need to be as the same amount of detail as bigger ones). Make sure to export and apply a 32 bits floating point map when sculpting using map. Control the amount of displace on the sculpt layer.
    Then reimport your uvs from all base meshes at level 0, one by one, it should only update the UVs then, then bake another displace / whatever with that (if that's what you want).
    Tedious but should work a treat =D
    Or do a version of the mesh with non scaled meshes overlapping each other / on exact top of every one, sculpt one, transfer details on all non sculpted, then import another version of each base level scaled and in place. Should update the scale and position this way but keep your details. You can then decimate them for easy export. Or step down a division level or 2 to manage the file better.
    That's all I can think on the top of my head...
    Sorry, no shortcut that I know of...=(
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    or sculpt one and duplicate it in mudbox... it will duplicate also the sculpt layers...
    the move the object in place and scale them... and dont forget to freeze the transforms...

but i think the easiert way is to extract a displacement map and use sculpt from map...
  • ania
    frOgg1e - I don't exactly understand what you mean by "overlap the uvs" (they are identical), but sculpting with maps seems to work almost.
    I tried with Vector Displacement map, 32bitFP as you said, and looks fine except for some strange artifacts.

trilo_vdisp.jpg

Your second method works flawlessly :) I never thought of importing the base layer, I thought it works just for the top layer. It's not even necessary to do the overlapping and transfer details part, I just duplicate seg06 (where I sculpted), and import seg01-12 onto its base.

It's not as fast as sculpt from maps however (regarding the amount of klicks I have to do for each segment), so if you have any idea about those artifacts it would be great.

I also tried with standard Displacement, but then it doesn't look as good in the creases as the Vector disp.

trilo_disp.jpg

oglu -
    It's not just scaled, it has also other transforms (with Lattice), so any scaling operations won't get it right, and I can't reuse the lattice because it was before the mirror.
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah overlap is same uvs on top of each others. If they are the same then it's all good.

No clue about the artifacts tho =(
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    after some toughts, maybe try going to lower subdivs ans mask the problem if it appears on lower subdivs.