Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Hey, welcome to our third unofficial dota 2 workshop friendly competition (because huge names are cool)
This month we will work with the 3 most voted heroes on the pool

"heroes that doesnt have any set"

the idea of the competition is to create item´s in a friend environment and with the feedback of the other participants get the best result possible

there is no prize, is just and excuse to work and get everyone motivated

everything that is accepted by the workshop could be part of this competitions: solo items, sets, couriers and wards (announcers?) (huds?)

Categories

-Solo item (dont need to be part of a set)
-set
-newcomer item (just for the first submition on the workshop)

RULES
  • open for teams of any size
  • open for every acceptable item on the workshop
  • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works
  • the final submition need to be based on one of the heroes on the list or be a wearable item for that hero
  • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline
  • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59

--

THE HEROES

*Venomancer was on the first winners but according to Valve the modes is going to be completely redesigned, so we are moving to the next one that won by one vote
    [*]Phanton Assassin
    [*]Dark Seer
    [*]Ogre Magi

Finished entries

solo items

Nightblade by penOr

Ghost Sentinel Blade by mihalceanu

Unkept hair of the Phantom Veil by Ross

Chitin by Crowntail

Club of the Fire God by mihalceanu

The Lucky Strike by DashXero

Swift Blade of the Veil by Hudston

Cape of Dexterity by Onilolz and Zaphk

Veiled Sang-Kau by Prophet9

Ion Dispersal Guard by Scuba Cat

Veil's Kiss by Scuba Cat

Scavenged Shield by Willypup

Crown of the Phantom by Willypup

Banded Haunch by Prophet9

Scythe of Sacrifice by Robo and Nannou

DarkSeer Armor of Renown- Shoulders by trow128

DarkSeer Armor of Renown - Helmet by trow128

Taliel by Crowntail

Winged Terror of the Veil by Pierate

The Origin by Paskie

Lucky Double Hoodie by Don Don

Mirror of Replica by Nannou and Robo

Gift of Damathryx by Robo and Nannou

Ghost sentinel blade by Mihalceanu

Spiked caster club by mihalceanu

Moltern Core club by mihalceanu

Hundred blades by mihalceanu

Shard of the Corrupted by Chiniara and Mango

Cload of Many Whispers by Sylei

Phantom Death Blade by Shellnut

Blades of Misery by Andyk125

sets

Explorer of Ka´ja Nebula Set by Zalak

Rift Traveler by DailyDouble

The Brute by Mantra

Veil of the shadow assassin by Robbiek1000

Shards of the Crossing by ReverendFlacid

Veteran Tactician by Mihalcanu

Late submitions

Vestments of the Crypt Maiden by Rubus

now the SFM model viewer works with the dota shader, we can now have a much better feedback of the textures, fuck yeah, thanks valve =]]
    2u1vy

INPIRING QUOTES

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
    Some advice:
    Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
    The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
    Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
    Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
    Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

REFERENCE CHARTS
    22OncIL.jpg
    DauO142.jpg
    dota2_phantom_assassin_charts.jpg

Ref_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
    dota2_ogre_magi_charts.jpg
    dota2_dark_seer_charts.jpg

THE VOTING
    2rGo1

IF YOU WANT TO FANCY YOUR PRESENTATION
    1QtZy
    the polycount logo over the aegis

Replies

• PoPcorn
      Woo, I'm actually going to have the time to be involved this month. I can't wait to see what cool stuff people get up to.
    • BrontoThunder
      Offline / Send Message
      BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
      Going to try and do a single item for each and a complete set for one of them.

Hope I can pull it off!!
    • PoPcorn
      Going to try and do a single item for each and a complete set for one of them.

Hope I can pull it off!!

We can do it Bronto!
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      PoPcorn wrote: »
      We can do it Bronto!

gogogo guys! you have 30 days! =]
    • Anuxinamoon
      Offline / Send Message
      Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
      I might just do another single item this month. So busy T______T
    • shellnut
      I think it's time for me to join. hehe. I'll try PA :))
    • bewsii
      Offline / Send Message
      bewsii polycounter lvl 9
      Not sure if I'll have time to participate in this one as Helenek and I have a lot of Freelance jobs coming in, so we'll see. I planned to make an SK set either way, so maybe I'll use this opportunity to make his weapon now and flesh out a set based around that when I have time.
    • Rubus
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus polycounter lvl 5
      I'll do the PA set I'm planning then, I'm in.
    • Sharc
      Offline / Send Message
      Sharc polycounter lvl 7
      Did have a concept for Dark Seer up for collab if anyone wanted to.

general_of_damathryx2_by_terrormokes-d5u2ngg.png

Also working on a set idea for Venomancer.
    • sadies
      Count me in for a single item entry :) Hoping to come up with something cool for Veno or PA
    • Zaphk
      Offline / Send Message
      Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
      We'll do a set for Dark Seer =] (but I'd love to do a set for PA one day too)
    • Rubus
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus polycounter lvl 5
      Before I start, I would like to know if anyone found a way to decompile the hero animations.

I tried it for Sven, opening the pak01_dir.vpk with GFScape then attempted to decompile the file sven.mdl with several versions of the decompiler found in the Source wiki, but I got an error every time - I installed all the Source SDKs and all, nothing worked.

Seeing how the pieces of equipment behave with the animations inside Blender without the export/import chore would be very handy.
    • Plant
      Rubus wrote: »
      Before I start, I would like to know if anyone found a way to decompile the hero animations.

I tried it for Sven, opening the pak01_dir.vpk with GFScape then attempted to decompile the file sven.mdl with several versions of the decompiler found in the Source wiki, but I got an error every time - I installed all the Source SDKs and all, nothing worked.

Seeing how the pieces of equipment behave with the animations inside Blender without the export/import chore would be very handy.

Did you rename the dx90 to dx80?
    • Rubus
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus polycounter lvl 5
      Did you rename the dx90 to dx80?
      Might check that, I really don't recall seeing this anywhere, will Google it then.

But based in the error I got, the solution in all the forums I searched was to change the program to a folder that actually doesn't exists in my SDK folder, don't know why.

If this works it would be great, if not, thanks anyway :)
    • Zalakzik
      Yay, i want to participate :) .
      Started that ds set few days ago, i started with rough concept and later re-make it a little ( I decided to make a crystal as a single item later).
      xfnUfEE.jpg
      mh7CNqf.jpg
      6zBdVob.jpg
    • Somjade
      Nice Un-Official! I might joining in trying for Venomancer!
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      Hey guys, i have some news about those questions on the last month thread

here is what i got from valve about the 2 characters

phantom assassin will have some slight changes on the face but we can continue using the actual model as reference

Venomancer will be COMPLETELY redesigned

so we better avoid it, do you guys agree with that?

the next one is Ogre magi that won by one vote???? omg
    • BrontoThunder
      Offline / Send Message
      BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
      YES TO OGRE MAGI!

NO VENO REDESIGN D: He's so damn gorgeous!
      I'm curious to see what they do with him, though!

Also, thanks for finding that out Vidotto :) Would have been a shame for us to work on something for naught.
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      man, i really like venon and im curious with what they will come with =]
    • Rubus
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus polycounter lvl 5
      @TVidotto:

That's good, thanks for taking the time to contact them :)

Just a bit curious, did they specify what kind of changes will they make in PA's face?
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus wrote: »
      @TVidotto:

That's good, thanks for taking the time to contact them :)

Just a bit curious, did they specify what kind of changes will they make in PA's face?

nop, but i asked if that could be a problem to use the default one as reference

they said that we can continue with the default one =]
    • Rubus
      Offline / Send Message
      Rubus polycounter lvl 5
      Ok, that's good enough, thanks again =)
    • PoPcorn
      Cheers for the TV, I knew there had to be something up with Veno. I was going to do a set for PA, but I might just have to do one for Ogre now.:)
    • pastasauca
      Hey guys, I'm pastasauca. I've been a long time lurker in this forum (and a friend of BrontoThunder's) and I thought maybe I could give this month a go. I've never made a workshop item before and I haven't touched maya since I finished college 16 months ago (I've taken a different route from 3D) but I thought maybe I could do this and touch up on my 3D skills.

I'm so out of practice that I forgot how to attach a material to an object T_T

Anyway, I've only played Dota a couple of times and I'm not too brushed up on the lore but I love the character designs, they look like so much fun to play with :)

I'm picking PA and doing a new hairstyle for her (I saw that she's getting a redesign but I still want to do her). I'm a bit worried that my initial direction is destroying her silhouette too much so I'd love any feedback- thanks guys :)

1FKMURv.png
    • Andyk125
      Offline / Send Message
      Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
      I think I will be in this time as well, just with 1 item but that should be possible in 30 days :)
    • Paskie
      Bah, was aiming for a venoset :(
    • Andyk125
      Offline / Send Message
      Some reference pics some ppl can use for creating concepts..

AWwZPpr.jpg
      DXM7Qxk.jpg
    • Paskie
      Thx! Was just going to ask about this :D
    • Andyk125
      Offline / Send Message
      Haha no problem :)

Started making some simple weapon sketches for PA. I noticed I forgot to attach the weapon in the reference pics..
      Still WIP and I will try to make a few more concept.

MuMrWQL.jpg
    • Don Don
      Woo, Ogre Magi! He seems like a lot of fun. Rough Concept and model block in.

04-02-2013_ogremagiWIP1.jpg

I'm interested in seeing what they do with Venomancer, should be cool :)
    • penOr
      Offline / Send Message
      penOr polycounter lvl 7
      I started on a PA blade the other day, so I guess I'll join in on the competition =). I'm still new to all this and will struggle to keep up with you lot, but I might have a go at a PA set if the blade goes well! (I've only done single weapons so far)

Here's the model tested in game (just did lowpoly)

ilpAJexqtETSy.jpg

A tip for her weapon - her attacks are really fast ingame, so it wouldn't make sense to have a heavy/bulky weapon, definitely something more agile. I didn't consider that before getting this far =S
    • I-ninja
      Offline / Send Message
      I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
      Andyk125 wrote: »

AWwZPpr.jpg

Hey I got one job in these monthly competition and someone always beats me to it.
      (Thx for the ref)
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      pastasauca wrote: »
      Hey guys, I'm pastasauca. I've been a long time lurker in this forum (and a friend of BrontoThunder's) and I thought maybe I could give this month a go. I've never made a workshop item before and I haven't touched maya since I finished college 16 months ago (I've taken a different route from 3D) but I thought maybe I could do this and touch up on my 3D skills.

I'm so out of practice that I forgot how to attach a material to an object T_T

Anyway, I've only played Dota a couple of times and I'm not too brushed up on the lore but I love the character designs, they look like so much fun to play with :)

I'm picking PA and doing a new hairstyle for her (I saw that she's getting a redesign but I still want to do her). I'm a bit worried that my initial direction is destroying her silhouette too much so I'd love any feedback- thanks guys :)

awesome, welcome to our friendly competition =]

some suggestions
      • play some matches with the character to get the "feeling" of it
      • check all the models for this character, open on a 3d program and check the sillhouette
      • aim to finish it a week before the deadline
      Andyk125 wrote: »

AWwZPpr.jpg

Andy, can you make it with a muted background like desaturated gray?

also can you take a picture of it with the high angle camera?
      I-ninja wrote: »
      Hey I got one job in these monthly competition and someone always beats me to it.
      (Thx for the ref)

we still need the other chars =]]
    • Boonta
      Offline / Send Message
      Boonta polycounter lvl 13
      Awesome thread! Will try and create a single item for the comp. Trying to finish a set atm.
    • reverendK
      Offline / Send Message
      reverendK polycounter lvl 7
      here's my WIP so far for my dark seer set. i'm not terribly happy with the head piece...and i'm still kicking around ideas for the arms and belt. should have that done in the next night or two.

dsWIP01.jpg

if i get this one done with enough time to spare i'll try to do a couple of items for ogre..because i think he'd be a ton of fun. :D
      we'll have to wait and see though...still unpacking...and i'm currently working without a desk chair.
    • RossC
      Offline / Send Message
      RossC polycounter lvl 9
      Working on a single PA Item, maybe set?

This the rough untextured/masked base mesh I have compiled in to see if a concept sketch I did would look alright. Seems to work!
      6aNhVCM.jpg

I'll save the sculpting and texturing for tomorrow.
    • Jashugan
      Offline / Send Message
      Jashugan polycounter lvl 18
      Hey Tvidotto,

Are there any other characters that are getting a redesign at this point? How can we find out that information?
    • Andyk125
      Offline / Send Message
      Tvidotto wrote: »
      awesome, welcome to our friendly competition =]

some suggestions
      • play some matches with the character to get the "feeling" of it
      • check all the models for this character, open on a 3d program and check the sillhouette
      • aim to finish it a week before the deadline

Andy, can you make it with a muted background like desaturated gray?

also can you take a picture of it with the high angle camera?

we still need the other chars =]]

Well I made a white background so it's easy to color pick and change the background color. If it is grey it's hard to pick and change, but If I get back home i will post some new ones together with a high angle view.. :)
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      Jashugan wrote: »
      Hey Tvidotto,

Are there any other characters that are getting a redesign at this point? How can we find out that information?

i dont know, i asked directly about those 2.

but the way people started asking that was a cleaver one, Phanton assassin have a lot of items on the workshop but they are not beeing added to the game very often and venon remembers too much an hydralisk.

so if a hero have a lot of items in game they will probably not change, like axe or furion =]

if what they said about PA is true we are one a good spot with her for this month
    • Don Don
      Ogre Magi progress:

04-02-2013_ogremagiWIP02.jpg
    • Mantra
      Hey guys Mantra here, long time fan. Have been posting some sets on the Workshop for some months. I just finished my latest project (an Ogre Magi set http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136243461), i wass looking for a new one, so why not join this friendly competition. I'll probably do another OM item or set, since i had a ton of whacky koncepts I didnt fully work trough.
    • Zalakzik
    • belkun
      Offline / Send Message
      belkun polycounter lvl 7
      Starting a PA set, this is the base for the helmet so far:

2tjrt

Not sure about the back of the helm and the hair, my original plan is below, I personally think it resembled the default too much (the back piece and the hair). Any suggestions?

2tceo

(Yeah, my drawing sucks).
    • Tvidotto
      Offline / Send Message
      Zalakzik wrote: »
      Done with it!
      oCVQQyN.jpg

wow! that was quick =]
    • Renusek
      Hello everyone and sorry for offtopic, but I need to ask you one question. I want to begin my adventure with 3D modelling, which free editor is the best for modelling (or for Dota 2 cosmetic items modelling), which would you prefer to a beginner?
    • Zaphk
      Offline / Send Message
      Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
      Thanks for the great news, Thiago! Then we'll do something for PA x)
      I'm still not sure about the design... Crits are welcome!

hCwENla.jpg?1
    • Uliss
      Hmm. Thinking about to join this month too, at least with one item.
    • reverendK
      Offline / Send Message
      reverendK polycounter lvl 7
      okidoke. blockout done. hi-poly and sculpt is coming up. pretty sure i'm gonna have to make some sacrfices first though...once i re-examine my tri limits. i was just kind of going to town...so we'll see what happens. :D

dsWIP02.jpg

sorry if the crazy smoothing groups make it a littl hard to read. i was basically concepting in max on the fly as i went so i didn't really take the time to keep them in order.
    • mrpresident
      Offline / Send Message
      mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
      reverendK wrote: »
      okidoke. blockout done. hi-poly and sculpt is coming up. pretty sure i'm gonna have to make some sacrfices first though...once i re-examine my tri limits. i was just kind of going to town...so we'll see what happens. :D

dsWIP02.jpg

sorry if the crazy smoothing groups make it a littl hard to read. i was basically concepting in max on the fly as i went so i didn't really take the time to keep them in order.

I absolutely love this. But yeah, 350-450 tri limit on the shoulders is going to hurt :\ .
    • Andyk125
      Offline / Send Message
      As Requested:

22OncIL.jpg
      DauO142.jpg

Small update on my weapon for PA.. The idea is to have some symbols in the middle, but not sure what kind of symbols.

Edit: Quick Paintover..

xLV6i8u.jpg
      mXI2UwV.jpg

Zaphk: Love the design, only not completely sure about the belt, but the rest looks awesome. nice and clean work!