Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiki-Hut

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone,

My name is Rogelio Delgado and I am a graduating Environment Artist of Full Sail University.

By February 3rd I shall be fully graduated and thought I should get my artwork out there a bit. Currently I am looking for work just like many of my brilliantly talented cohorts, but also hard at work on side projects too.

I have a few projects I'm working on currently, but I just thought I'd share this one; I'd love to have the helping hand of this community gently stear the direction of this piece. I've been told I take critque extremely well, and although this is more of an introduction, I'd love any and all feedback I recive!

Here is a shot about 3hr's in, and also please feel welcomed to visit my portfolio or blog.

tiki1.jpg

This set-piece will include this tiki hut, a frozen-banana stand, a surfboard, and a few other smaller props. It will be low poly and hand painted (as I am more comfortable with photosourcing). This will be a great challenge for me texture-wise, and I'm really looking forward to completing it!

Thank you so much for your time and attention, I look forward to being big a part of the awesome comunity here in the future!!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Replies

• Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good, but quite a few wasted tris.

Like the vertical 'trims' along the top of hut, they only need to be one segment tall, that would cut approx 240 tris (just a quick guess/count). The large posts also could lose the loop in the middle, doesn't do much for silohette, and they seem to have an extra row verticallly that could be lost.

The palm could be taller and taper smaller at the top.

Don't forget to post tri counts as that's what really matters.

The Tiki thing got me, so don't forget to make a wooden tiki to stand vigil over this most chill hut.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the feedback!

Optimization is super important and I will certainly look into the areas you mentioned. All future updates will have tri-counts for sure- my mistake for not labeling this one.

Oh and each one of those support pillars will be a tiki, but perhaps a "main" one would be cool as well ^.^

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Look forward too see the hand painted textures man! I too am working on a project like this. the model looks great!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oliver: Thanks! and I'll be sure to check yours out!

--

tiki3.jpg

This is an update to the scene. I decided to take the scene into UDK, but still not sure if it'll be lit or not. (edit: This grab is from Maya). Gonna try to feel it out once I'm in there. I wish I could have done more but I was terribly ill yesterday and working on my reel when I had time.

I'm 1000x more comfortable with photosource so moving onto textures here has me very nervous. I'll give it my best shot and be sure to post an update when I have one!

Thank to those who checked it out!

-rad
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    tiki_Combined.jpg

This is where I'm ending for today. Got my stuff into udk and spent a few hours making this hand painted sand texture. This is the first completely hand painted texture I've actually made for a model, so please feel free to critique. Thanks for checking me out!

-rad
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    It's coming off too noisy at the moment, Pull back the small details. The dark areas are looking like really wide cracks, it should be a bit more of a wavey gradient.

like this

4532.jpg
  • ZFerguson
    Right now it's coming off as dry, cracked land and not sand. I agree with gannon by pulling back the small details, you want softer transition between the light and dark areas in the sand.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gannon & ZFerguson

Thanks so much for the crits! This is my 3rd Try at my second attempt of Hand Painted sand. I'll also be moving onto wood and some other material textures today. Excited!

tiki_Combined2.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looking much better, I'd bring down the brightness of the highlights abit though.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog: On my next pass-through I will be sure to make the highlights blend better, thank you.

So here is a work in progress shot of my bamboo/hybrid texture for the floor and possibly some of the benches etc. I would like to know if I am in the ballpark. The second column shows some of the detail I will duplicate throught the process. Also, I usually like to work in gray-scale and add color later on. Any tips or cits are welcomed, for sure.

T_BambooWorking.jpg

As always, thanks for checking me out!

-rad
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the lack of updates, I just finished graduating from Full Sail this past Friday and after an eventful weekend I'm back on my portfolio grind.

I made some tweaks to the scene and am pretty happy with where I am so far. I would say I am about 80% of the way there and am gonna try to finish up today and move onto my next project. I would say at this point, I'm okay with a few tweaks here and there.

wip2.png

wip11.png

texturesheet1.png
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    id say you want to adjust your colours to fit into a coherent palette now
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    break up the shore line a bit more, it's too straight.
  • Mrandk
    Ok so I see some issues with the cohesiveness of all your textures as a whole, your water is super stylized like windwaker but then on the hut you are using high frequency filters.

You need to find a middle ground and stay there, I'd suggest leaning towards more stylized like your water. It looks nicer. Don't be afraid to throw more color into your textures, every object seems to be one primary color and then black and white mixed in.

For Example: Your tiled wood is tan and mostly that. Try to push the color more to a deep saturated orange/red as you get darker and pull it closer to a desaturated yellow as you get lighter. This should create more interest. What i generally do is pick a hue for my midtones and go one direction in the colorwheel as I get darker, then go the opposite as I get lighter. ( If blue is my midtone I go towards purple as I get darker and go towards teal as I get lighter.)

I think all of your textures could use some of this.

Your palm leaves are too plain, There doesn't seem to be any indication of a stalk or stem. Go back and add one in then add some darks and lights to your leaves to give them an indication of how they connect and how they curve from there.

I agree with gannon about the straightness of your shoreline, on top of that you may want to make use of decal textures on your water/sand and make yourself some indication of waves on your shoreline

I'm about to get on a flight or I'd do a paint-over for ya. I may come back and edit my post to add one after I've landed.

Hope this helps. Good work so far, just needs that little extra push.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp: Thanks, I think you're right- cohesiveness could (and should be) better.

@Ganon: Certainly, thanks for catching that.

@Mrandk: Wow, thanks so much for all the input. Color in the texture is something I definitely think I can benefit from for sure as I did some of that in the bamboo texture and I think it worked well. The leaves have been giving me some trouble but I do agree with the plain-ness of them right now. I will be adding some more highlights and shadows and other details in there for sure. Waves and decails I didn't even think about honestly, but I'll look into adding those details. As far as a paintover goes, I would REALLY appreciate it as I know it would help me improve. If you have a free second, that would be awesome of you. Oh, and I hope you have a safe flight!

I'll use all this feedback and have some progress shots posted tomorrow morning!

-rad