Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: no mesh model in 3do + missing texture on some parts of mesh.

kurylo3d
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
kurylo3d polycounter lvl 3
I am now experiencing 2 different problems with my latest attempt at quixel.

1.) When i hit 3do my obj model does not show up.. totally blank. If i load any sphere or cube that quixel has as an option... there is no texture applied at all.. even if i hit refresh.

2.) I closed it tried again from scratch.. even exported a new obj of a mesh that was original seperate meshes, but they are all combined into 1 now.... problem is its in 3do, but 1 of the meshes has no texture on it... even though the rest do... even though they are all technically 1 mesh since they were all combined...

Any ideas?

Replies

• kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have any ideas about this? Its kind of a show stopper if you cant preview it proper.
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the error im getting.. and its all 1 mesh exported to obj. No history.. from maya. All has uvs. As you can see the pole isnt getting previewed even if i refresh the material.. in fact nothing has any texture until i hit refresh the textures/material button.

And yes.. i paid for the full version so im not working off a demo or anything. I don't know what to do with this. Can anyone who built the application respond?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried any of our sample projects from the wiki:

http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples

Just to make sure that everything is working correctly. If you could send me the obj files I could take a look at it!
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont take this offensively, but im not sure ur sample projects matter here. They all work. I Just want MY MODELS to work. I will however find u a way to get my obj :P If you need to know I have had successful attempts at using your program, but 2 out of 3 models have had this issue. I am starting to think it has to do with the turtle renderer plugin that comes installed with maya 2015, but I can not be sure since some exports work correctly and others dont.
  • kurylo3d
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you kurylo3d! Having a look at the mesh now to see what could be wrong.

- Teddy
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again kurylo3d,

So it seems your mesh has two mesh groups, one for the pole and one for the rest (polySurface22 and TurtleDefaultBakeLayer). You should be able to see the two groups when plugging in the mesh into the Base Creator:

meshgroups.jpg

This means one material will be created per mesh group. This is why one part of the mesh is textured, and the pole remains untextured; in the DDO window you should see two tabs, one for each group (of which one has only been textured).

If your mesh is just supposed to be one whole object with just one UV, make sure to collapse down the two groups into just 1 group before you create the project, and it will share just 1 texture for the entire object.

Let me know if this helped :)

- Teddy
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the problem. It is 1 mesh.. 1 group.. 1 object. 1 uv map. 1 texture.. There isnt 2 groups... so the issue remains as to why am i having problems in quixel? In fact if u dont beleive me import the model into maya... and find that it is 1 mesh
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the additional information kurylo3d. It seems the problem isn't that it is 1 mesh, but that it has 2 material groups: polySurface22 and TurtleDefaultBakeLayer. Removing one of them should solve the issue. If you want we can troubleshoot this in your other thread to avoid double posting: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150357

- Teddy
  • Sands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your model doesn't show up in Quixel try the following:

a) Make sure it is scaled to real world values
    b) Make sure the object is set to 0,0,0 (center of the scene) before export
    c) Make sure you triangulate your mesh on export. DDO does not triangulate meshes as game engines do, you need to do this manually.

As for the 2 different mshes, as others have set you have 2 different material IDs on the same mesh. Meaning some of your faces are assigned to a different material. All you need to do is select all of your faces and assign a new material to all of them, then export again.
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sands wrote: »
    If your model doesn't show up in Quixel try the following:

a) Make sure it is scaled to real world values
    b) Make sure the object is set to 0,0,0 (center of the scene) before export
    c) Make sure you triangulate your mesh on export. DDO does not triangulate meshes as game engines do, you need to do this manually.

As for the 2 different mshes, as others have set you have 2 different material IDs on the same mesh. Meaning some of your faces are assigned to a different material. All you need to do is select all of your faces and assign a new material to all of them, then export again.

Sands, none of that is the issue. To avoid double posting ...

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150357

At that link i think i found the issue.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i Took a look at your obj-file, and straight away upon opening it Maya warned that there where multiple meshgroups in the file. Here is how it looks in The Suite:

MB1M1FA.jpg

As you can see, The Suite recognizes serveral meshgroups, this is why you can texture your entire mesh, because when you only select inputs for one group the other groups will remain untextured. If you look here at your mesh in the outliner in maya you can clearly see that the mesh contain a number of groups.

IbgMxxN.jpg

After deleting the unused meshgroups everything worked perfectly in DDO, I did not input any other maps then the OBJ and a one colored ID-map so the result looks like this:

HaN5pQV.jpg

So to avoid these problems in the future just make sure your meshes are properly exported from your 3D package and you should be all good to go!
    Here is the file if you want to take a look!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdn3a2v87x2uzbf/Quixel_Export_kurylo3d.obj?dl=0
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Main thing is what created those mesh groups? What even is a mesh group? Never in my 12 years experience in maya have i had to deal with that. So far it seems like the turtle renderer was to blame. I made it work by disabling turtle first, copying the geometry, starting a new scene, pasting the geometry, and then exporting that. And all worked from there.

I actually saw those mesh groups myself. Last time i tried deleting them and reexporting and i still had the same problem. Reason was turtle renderer was still enabled in the scene.. whats worse u cant delete the turtle node.. once its in the scene.. thats why i go through the trouble of disabling it first then starting a new scene.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Turtle somehow creates all the meshgroups? I don´t have any experience with Turtle myself unfortunately.
  • kurylo3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. At least we have a way around it.
  • Eric Ramberg