Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | February 2015 | Warrior

Replies

• Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    Cool progress everyone, i like the mobile version, he's so cuuuuuute.
    Yeah, don"t leave me behind too, i will post wip asap :D
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    @klown: awesome start! :P

Little up,I'm going extremely slow,at this peace I know I won't make it in time for the deadline but onestly I'm more focused on learning anatomy once and for all,totally disregarding time and deadlines :/
    Today I was learning arm and forearm,but are kind of complex so the area is still fucked up xD

dYCnq4G.png
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
    @Klown: Looking good so far! I would say that the spike on the hammer is bowing down to soon though. If you look at the concept it looks flat up until around the last 1/3. I'm also really likeing the hair that you've got.

Marcus Aseth: I'm also learning my anatomy as I go. I think your doing pretty good so far, though his bicep looks a little small and from the front and back his forearm looks like it gets to small to quickly. Keep up the good work.

I'm still blocking stuff out, I almost have everything there. The goat pelt is just a placeholder for now, I'm gonna focus on hair next week. Right now I'm trying to get all of his accessories done, or at least blocked out. And I was waiting to get the anatomy right before I extracted the sleeve.

gCIeC82.jpg
    0aUGko0.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisjngs: thx for the feedback :)

Regarding yours,I would suggest to be sure of your proportions before jumping into clothing :poly122:
    As for now the shoes looks huge,also the trousers on the lowe part around the calf looks kind of too big. The inclination of the shoes make it look like if he is standing on the heel,so kind of a balance issue there :)
    The major thing that isn't quite working for now in my opinion is the gesture of the figure which overall looks very stiff in the profile,can't tell if is a problem with the body or an effect from the clothing on top,in any case this image always help http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Flama-foxangel/prop_male.gif
    Let's keep learning :):thumbup:
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Marcus:

Your character looks as if he's pushing his chest out and up, from both the front and side view. The chest and ribs are quite forwards, while the shoulders look pulled back making his posture feel unnatural. The top view one shows it as well. The chest is quite far forwards.
    (Could just be me.)
    The bicep looks painful, and "placed on" towards the deltoid.
    The forearm towards the hand needs to be bulked up. It look quite thin at the moment.
    Otherwise good going so far

chrisjngs
    The forearms muscle needs to be toned down and touched up. It looks pretty unnatural at the moment.
    The biceps also look pretty broad. They should tuck under the deltoid, but it looks like they could almost be going to the ribcage.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Z3NZY: thx for the feedback,some of those things where already addressed right after my post,things like the tiny forearm.
    Some other things you mentioned I can't see them for now but I'm also modeling this "first pass" without using reference to be sure I learn a general anatomy from the top of my head,so I'll make sure to notice all the things you mentioned during the "reference fixing pass" :):thumbup:

Edit: actually by looking at this I can totally see now why my arm looks pulled back,fixing next :)
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    n2k3 - Nice! Get that block in started (I would suggest to move the legs apart if you havent already :P )
    Marcus Aseth - Cheers!
    chrisjngs - Thanks man! almost certainly right with the hammer thing, blocked it out one lunch time and never really checked the shape later on :P

I'm at work atm so I can't really do much of an overlay or paintover but get some anatomy reference, the link in n2k3's post or the prop_male.gif that was posted is a good way to get your shapes and proportions done, chrisjngs especially, you got some pretty big issues going on there mate and its messing with your block out. Main issues right now are his feet are way too big, hand too small/fingers too long and the forearm needs a rework, good progress otherwise!

Marcus Aseth - Use reference! I understand what you are trying to do but its better to work from reference on things like this and then use small timed anatomy exercises with then without ref to hone those skill sets :D. Have a quick look at your bicept width, its a little thin as well as the wrist, forearm seems a little long but will help to throw some legs in there to get comparison sizes :)

Remember to keep the block in loose, dont get bogged down in fine details, constantly bounce between concept and your model and compare sizes and shapes to get it as close as you can :)
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    eKl.

So I've blocked out the clothing, but decided to post up the anotomy first.
    Full body -Perspective

b1_zpsnqmwnxex.jpg~original

Full body - Orthographic

b2_zps7d21ffbv.jpg~original

And the head

b4_zps4mjtdbba.jpg~original

I really didn't like how the head was going before. So I changed it up.
    I've also decided to ditch the massive beard, and will be giving him a shorter closer cut beard, with the hair tied back.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    I'm starting some anatomy study in my sketchbook, can I use it for this contest ? I started like 3 days ago
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Burpee Sure man. That's no difference from using a basemesh anyway.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more sculpt,though I need to refresh my eyes before I can tell if I improved it or not. I was starting suggesting some feet,still a lot of fuck up in the arms,also playing with the face,though I didn't save the scar thing,in there I was just trying brushes :S
    Anyway,some more sculpt on my own and then I'll go from reference,this will help me to understand what I don't understand I think :)

qbXzzSQ.png
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Z3NZY: The ear in the profile shot is looking very pointy, and the folds on the neck look out of place. You have him with fairly smooth skin, and then these deep wrinkles that dont really fit. Other then that it looks pretty good, keep up the good work.

@Macus Aseth: Really liking the way the face is coming out! I would suggest adding some body fat on his body though. It's good for an anatomy study right now, but no one has that well defined of muscles.

So everybody that I've shown this to has pointed out that arms, guess they really were bad :( I've spent the past hour or so redoing them. I smoothed them down to basically cylinders and then rebuilt them. I've also redone the hands, though they could use some more work.

5IgFuCu.jpg

Here's a shot of just the arm, and the reference that I'm using.
    http://i.imgur.com/bgRuWZU.jpg my arm scult
    http://i.imgur.com/eQoaSTT.jpg my reference (This arm was created by Lee Magalhaes for Digital-Tutors anatomy course)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs wrote: »
    @Macus Aseth: I would suggest adding some body fat on his body

Good point,it was getting too lean since I was thinking to construction and not to the actual reference of the challenge :poly122:
    Did some more work on it,leg and feet amongs other things,though still a lot of stuff that doesn't add up,actually I was start fucking up other areas (like the neck or under the knee) so I need to rest my eyes and come back on it later:)
    Next main step will be arm from reference and hands,after that if all looks good I'll finally focus on the head only,looking forward to that :poly124:

DQF9a7N.png

@chrisjngs: regarding your update,bicept looks huge,also as far as I know the main mass of it doesn't go as far as the forearm the way you did,because it turns into tendon therefore it tapers quite a bit and what you get filling that area is the brachialis behind it (since bicept sits on top of brachialis)
    On the back the is no indication of the medial border of the scapula and also the teres major is missing,that muscle points to the lower part of the medial border of the scapula,so by inserting that you fix 2 problems in 1 move.
    Also from the front,if you put a flat shader you'll notice the weird "steps" effect between the clavicle and the trapezius,which can't be right since exactly in that point some fibers of the trapezius grab on the clavicle,so it should stay on top and not diving below as it appears right now :):thumbup:
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Marcus Aseth: Looking a lot better with the added skin/fat, it looks like you're missing the stop most set of abs, though. they should sit right underneath the pectoral muscles, right now it doesn't look like there is anything there. I cant wait to see how yours turns out! also thanks for the critique, I don't know how I completely missed the trapezius connection to the clavicle, thanks for pointing that out. I will fix the rest this weekend.

Here's the WIP of my hair sculpt, still deciding on if the lowpoly is gonna have sculpted hair of use planes. In the meantime I sculpt!poly120.gif
    DkANnT9.jpg
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Sorry I haven't posted like all month :poly124:. Here is what I have so far.
    EDIT: I haven't done the head hair yet just because i like the fu man look haha. Ill probably have that later this week. fcd61d9d0ddfc1faace9c9f43e37f004-d8j84y9.jpg9c529785a004214676c243a9ccf8eb61-d8j8474.jpg
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Had some extra time so i started the hair sculpt. warrior_wip_2_22_15_3_by_rioshinx-d8j8la0.jpg
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    playing with poly paint. still have a few more pieces to add on but meh. c3f535f4860e5823c71bc55c1ef349a5-d8jhqsn.jpg94b39b7f78641aa245cdc911ed4ddd1f-d8jhqsq.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Marcus Aseth: Nice! Thats looking really slick mate, and more than enough to block out all of him now :)

chrisjngs: Solid block out for the hair though don't forget the his right side extra long parts that flow down, nice extra touch to his look.

Thats really cool Asura, love that style :D

After a week a bit of a cold that kicked my ass I now once again a functioning human being and playing catch up. I was going to post an update last night but got caught up in the just a little bit more cycle and ran out of time, I'll throw it up tonight when I get home from work.

When reading all the discussion about how and what to do in the voting thread about this months challenge, there isn't really that many people taking part, even with the extended 2 month time limit :(
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx klown :)

Guys,do you know where I can find some good and free anatomy reference? Like now I'm trying to sculpt his hands,but I realize I'm going blind and this is slowing me down and making things harder... x_x
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    klown wrote: »
    When reading all the discussion about how and what to do in the voting thread about this months challenge, there isn't really that many people taking part, even with the extended 2 month time limit :(

I feel a bit lame about contributing much to that discussion and then not entering, sorry about that! However, I decided to further my character skills by taking one of Scott Eaton's courses, so my free time is booked for now.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    Asura - Looking good man I like the style

Late start but here is what I have:
    CharacterStrip.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Progress. Starting to sculpt more details, too tired to make a proper start on the arm and shoulder cover, Pants need a second pass, wool waist thing is just a surface alpha for now.

30rloaa.jpg

2cegh13.jpg
  • TheGinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello all! Hope its not too late to get in on the fun.

Heres what I've got so far

Warrior.jpg
  • TheGinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still missing some things, but I'm about ready to call it and start the retopo.

Warrior2.jpg

curious to see how you all handle the wool. I'm pretty worthless with alphas
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Asura: looking good, loving the style that you're going with.

@klown: Thanks, I'm just going to use the hair as a reference to build off of for my low poly. I'm really liking the way that those pants are coming out. One thing that looks a little off is the shield, In the concept it is made of metal, but the way that you have it, it looks like it is made of wood.

@TheGinger: Welcome to the challenge, your model looks good so far, his head does look a little square though. I really like the way that the sleeve is looking.

Here's my current progress, I'm pretty happy with the way the hair and wool skirt thing came out. I'm going to be working on the cloth this weekend, and then go into my detail pass.
    66V7OXU.jpg
  • GrzegorzJeka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrzegorzJeka polycounter lvl 8
    @chrisjngs Look good so far, really love hair and dagger details, but I think that yours slik belt thing is too thin ,top part should be a bit higher and/or leather belt and buckle should be lower.

@TheGinger Sleeve detailing is looking good ,so is the rest of a clothing. One thing that I would change is a shield ,its edge is too blunt and rounded. I am not a weaponry expert or sth but it doesnt look good to me.

@josh.0 Dont know if you are even checking out this thread any more but sorry for not replying to your comment but i have been busy doing other things and simply forgot. But i have also double checked proportions and I think it is looking quite good now.

My current progres ,I would especially appreciate some c&c on head and chest leather belt ,because it is my first time creating custom alpha ,and there is something off about head. Thx. Guess now I am gonna work on shield and weapon stuff, secound detailing pass if I will find some spare time. Btw you all guys are doing hair sculpting is that really so important to do? In previous projects I was just adding hair planes in Maya, no sculpting whatsoever.
    YKMx3Ff.png
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GrzegorzJeka: Good progress over all, the biggest thing that isn't working right now is that the pants look very baggy however. Which in turn is throwing off the rest of the proportions. You need to pull up the lowest part of the pants, almost to where you have the buckle right now. Your head shape is looking okay, the lips look way to high though.

As for your question about the hair. In my opinion you dont need to sculpt the hair before you make planes. However it can help you if you're not sure about how you're going to lay out your planes. Personally, I really enjoy sculpting hair, I find it relaxing, but if you think that you can get a good result without it and go straight to planes, go for it.

BTW, I made a post asking about which was better, sculpted or planes, and the overall consensus was planes. There are also some good tips on making poly plane hair http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149305
  • TheGinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@chrisjngs: Thanks for sharing that link; good read!

@GrzegorzJeka: I highly suggest putting in some basic placeholder hair so you aren't blindsided by something later on. It'll help with proportions/matching the concept. my 2 cents :)

I think the best thing you can do for your head sculpt is really define the planes; you're missing some important ones in the forehead and the bridge of the nose. heck, i'd benefit from that too. Its coming along really well- keep it up!
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started working on the wrinkles of the pants and sleeve today, though I would post and see what people think so far.
    l0YIbBV.jpg
    W48OugK.jpg
  • TheGinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisjngs: its looking good! I'd say just keep going- more contrast especially in the sleeve. Right now the folds don't feel real because they aren't affecting the silhouette practically at all- in contrast to the leg where the folds feel much more relevant to the overall shape. But that'll improve as you keep working at it. a little bit of reference goes a long way here too. keep it up!
  • TheGinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just another detail pass.

Warrior3.jpg
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    hi guys! i love the changes you did with the challenge! i always say i will participate but i cant haha one day i will. if i do i would do the sculpted bust thing :) everybody, have fun and good luck! looks good so far. keep it up...
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheGinger: Thanks for the input, I went back and added some more fold, or accentuated existing ones. I'm really liking your wrinkles and folds, keep up the good work!

I'm calling the high poly done, now to retopo and make the poly plane hair.
    The holes in the wrap around his waist are due to using micromesh and the distance of the camera, they're not actually there.
    t51WmSX.jpg
    odwzmpy.jpg
    Here are some detail shots of the little things and a look at what the micromesh object looks like. The eye is using two separate subtools, an inner and outer.
    pI41RNm.jpg
    Tqok1xH.jpg
    and here's some close up shots of the upper and lower body, I just didnt want to flood the post with even more images.
    http://i.imgur.com/wGELxbh.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/AMpQmBv.jpg
  • Mouche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!
    I'm new to the community challenges and very late to this party, so I'd thought I would focus on the upper half/ bust option and get some practice in! Especially some anatomy practice, so feel free to critique :)

Still have quite a way to go, but here is the anatomy so far and some simple attempts at the rest of the objects: (hair and more detail are next!!)

ilJ3MEC.jpg
    QVJ5h0H.jpg

Unsure how I want to "cap off" the bust - maybe bringing in part of that wool section and end it there...

Anyway everyone here is doing awesome!
    @chrisjngs: love the detail you've been putting into the clothing, the folds are looking good'

@Marcus Aseth: I've been meaning to mention how much I liked your redesign of the concept, I thought it balanced the fabric type and placement well
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Keep at it everyone, it's looking good! Making me jelly in a lot of ways. Don't worry about spending too much time in sculpt, it bascally determines your Low Poly and final bakes later. The better it looks, the less you have to fix.

I should jump onto one of these challenges at some point to push myself :/
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Great to see solid progress from everyone, nice!

30n7thu.jpg

Almost there. Just the hammer, detail body/face pass and then a few hours pretty much experimenting with the fur pelt to try and get a half decent looking mesh to bake with.

Fun times!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope everyone doesn't mind that I will show the pieces to the concept illustrator :)
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    I was actually going to post an update last night but some Zb to Maya issues delayed me into the night and then I just went to bed :P

I'll throw an update tonight, I hope I'm not the only one who is still going!
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    AtLp3ZI.jpg

HP done, face needs a pore pass but that will come from texturing and some arm revision and small details.

Getting distracted and jumping around a bit now, low poly for the hammer and shield are done and about a quarter of the LP for the body is done. Need to slog through that to get to the fun texturing stuff.

Happy with the way he came out though and intend to finish all the way to toolbag/UE4 :D
  • Mouche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klown looking good!!

I'm still hanging on by a thread - I decided the floating torso look wasn't working out so going full body now...which will hurt my deadline hah~

OfPlgIn.jpg
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klown I really love those wrinkles that you have on the gloves and pants! It's looking really good, can't wait to see it textured.

@mouche: it looks good, the upper arms are needing some work though, they're looking very spherical. The legs also look a little long. Don't worry too much about the deadline, just make sure that you are happy with the final product.

I've fallen a little behind, as I was out of town last week, but I'm still working group on it. I have the low poly finished and unwrapped, and am currently working on the hair. I can't see me finishing this on time, but I'm gonna continue going! Hopefully I will be able to post an update later.
  • Mouche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisjngs Thanks for the tips! Going over the anatomy and proportions, fixing a few things now.

Meanwhile also adding in some more detail/fixing cloth and starting to build the weapons. Hopefully to post those updates soon
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    Is this challenge still in going? Couldn't see the March one? Also wondering if there'll be one for April?
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanLeigh: This challenge is still going, at least i'm still working on it. Can't say about next months challenge however.

I have at last finished the low poly of this dude. It's sitting at just over 16k polys, without the hair it's at 11k.

BZQ34q5.png

I plan to bake out all the maps this weekend and then finally start the texturing process.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry I have been quite busy myself as well. Not just comicon challenge, but about my life at present too... :(

I'm not sure if 2-month long challenge burns people out more than it did when it was 1 month long. And I don't think I see a finished piece yet <_<" Don't feel like starting April's atm...
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    It's a shame, was hoping to take part in April's one :/
  • Mouche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since today is the last day I'm posting my "finished" sculpt. There's still some retopping, and of course the texturing, but it will have to be on my own time...later

I'm hoping to still participate in one of April's challenges though :)

BCDxHtE.jpg
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mouche: looks great! don't give up on it.

Finally found the time to bake all the maps that I wanted to, I've got AO, Cavity, and Normal maps right now. I had to adjust some uv stuff, thats the only reason it took so long.
    vPaRrA0.png

I'm going to continue working on it, I'm using it for my final in my rigging class, hopeully I will be able to post it finally posed and textured by the end of april :poly122:
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Mouche and chrisjngs, nice work! both finished up looking great :D

I've just got my hands on Substance Painter and after a quick 30 min test last night on the hammer and shield, holy moly that can speed things up!

Finished the LP for the body, just need to organize the UVs and taking advantage of what Substance can do and a 4 day long weekend that starts on Friday, I'm quite excited to see how much I can get done :D

I'll throw up what I get done for the hammer and shield tonight, much fun to be had :D
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Getting restless, need to move onto to texturing!

30k polys without weapons which works for me, weapons are about 3500k combined. Just need to get those damn UVs sorted! going to break it up into below the waist, arms and furs, torso, head and beard, try and get some sweet sweet detail into those maps!

Also, I tried a new speed LP method using dynamesh and decimation master which is why his legs and fur looks the way it does BUT it also meant I was able to make his entire LP model apart from the weapons in one weekend which was just fine with me :D

uJ8cQUV.jpg?1

Speaking of texturing.....

hwqcKy0.jpg?1

Substance Painter is pretty fantastic, I mean the hammer and shield are 90% done after about 3 or so hours of just using presets and playing with settings AND I had never touched any Substance program before starting this!. Just need to figure out how to get more specific paint scratches on the main shield and rim and calling it done :D

Onto new threads I guess after this, great stuff to everyone who joined in!

hwqcKy0