Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sky Pirate Airship

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Axios polycounter lvl 10
I'm excited to finally get to this project so I'll post it right here from the beginning. I will be making an airship inspired heavily by Skies of Arcadia, but rather than remaking one from the game, I really just wanted to have one of my own. Additionally, I want to try something just a touch more stylized than my usual stuff so here we go.

I'm working off of this fantastic concept by Michael Bills:
airship_concept.jpg

And my massout from tonight:
airship_03.jpg

And a wood material I made in preparation of this. All use the same textures, just changing up some shader settings, and I plan to use this material as the main surface covering the ship.
wood_02.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the venetral surfaces need to be taller to match the concept; the wing span should also be increased.

The bow - and especially the keel at the bow - could use more polygons' it's very angular now.

The angle of the bow spirit seems too shallow; in the concept it looks to be about 30 degrees.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, DWalker, some good points there. While most the geo is placeholder, my first challenge is wrangling perspective from the stylized concept.

First I stopped to plan out all my materials and textures and came up with a basic list of wood, gold, glass, sails, trims, and unique atlas. Next, I did some more work on the blockout, specifically the hull, and dropped it into UDK for some preliminary texture testing.

airship_04.jpg

airship_05.jpg

airship_06.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    look great so far ; are you using a game engine ?
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    That is a mighty fine wood texture you have there :)
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, and yes I am using Unreal. The last two images as well as the wood picture in the first post are from UDK.
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    I don't see any pirates
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    More wood plz.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A helpful paintover

gcQ2jDw.jpg
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs more Michael Bolton.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the super helpful paintover. I can totally see how you got a banner now.

Anyways, some progress for today. Worked on the hull geo and a lot on the UVs. I think I'll try making a wood end trim texture to improve some of the awkward terminations.

airship_07.jpg

airship_08.jpg
  • sjuskadur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sjuskadur polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good keep at it. Make sure the textures on the keel of the ship (The planks with the yellow stripes) line up with the back, its minor but its all I got right now!
    Also this is the cleanest deck on a wooden ship I have ever seen. Maybe a vertex paintable shader might help to give you wear and tear on it.
  • dfinlay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is one hell of a wood texture. Looks great!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actual sailing ships of the period sheethed the lower hull in copper to prevent teredo worms from destroying the hull and prevent other sea creatures from attaching the the wood and slowing down the ship. Anyway, just a thought that it might give you an excuse for an interesting non-wood texture on the hull.
  • TheTurner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great!! I'm learning a lot for my own ship and seeing your progress helps me organize the madness haha

Can't wait to see more
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    sjuskadur: Thanks, for the wood I'm going to try out making a strip of plank ends to put along corners and such where the wood bending or intersecting doesn't make sense. I will certainly be trying a vertex blend if I need wear in places but I'm challenging myself to not over-grunge things as that would be uncharacteristic of my reference.

amile duan: Yep, that's an artifact from trying to match the concept. I'll certainly need to lengthen the cabin to fit windows and make any sense.

DWalker: Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm thinking that is one that I'll go without. Don't need it to be too realistic as this is an airship, and while there is a ton of wood going on right now, I think I'll have plenty of material variation in the final product.

TheTurner: Thanks, best of luck with your own ship. In case you're interested in my plan going forward, I'm going to try tiling textures with possible vertex blending or macro textures for the sails and gold area, and one-way tiling texture of various trims/ropes/etc, and a single map to contain the more unique stuff like cannons, anchor, barrel, etc.
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still rock'n a single tileable wood shader? Coloring it with material instances or vert colors embedded in the geo?
  • TheTurner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will definitely be following your progress! This is my first time doing a low-poly project that is VERY heavy in hand painted textures, and just seeing your "color map" for deciding the amount of textures you need has inspired me to do one of my own. I'm not even done with it and I'm seeing things a little clearer :thumbup:

How large do you plan on making your larger "misc" texture sheet?

Thanks again and keep up the hard work
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like this boat is made out of wood.

0511-0810-2701-4045_Pirate_Looking_Through_a_Spyglass_clipart_image.jpg
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    TheTurner: I'm authoring everything at 2k and I'll probably keep that map at that resolution. The assets I plan on putting on it are anchor, cannon, vent, porthole, helm wheel, rudder flaps, and a barrel.

Small update, spent some time reworking the wood shader for vertex blending and started a trim texture that I'll be able to use for the ends of wood planks. Still some work to do there to match the colors better and add a spec map. Didn't spend a ton of time painting the verts as I expect I'll need to redo it sometime anyways.

airship_10.jpg
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Pretending like I didn't abandon this project for over a year...

Did just a bit of modeling tonight.
    airship_11.jpg