Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome news on going official! I really like that windrunner bow, and I also happy to announce that I will be working with cosmicsugar on a set, we will of course share more details once things get more finalized :poly136:
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ur wr looks rly sick. plz make sure that u are able to get all those nice details and shapes into the lods. i would love to see it ship in that stunning quality.

about the lion, as i said u guys are right :) i already tweaked the colors and try to find a better head/shoulder/back solution
    2Igvsxg.jpg
  • Nobiru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobiru polycounter lvl 2
    I'm in with Lich (concept by Pipotchi)! Work in progress, now left back slot and some changes.

vx1o7TX.png
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @SeeingTriangles, nice set so far you might want to increase the depth of the sclupt, in my opinion its too shallow.

@Shock
    Maybe transition the blue into a black to increase the contrast between the orange and blue. Kind of like this.
    Cosmetic_icon_Abyssal_Hellclaw.png?version=865f2d17a894afca3175d712c03091f1

@Nobiru, The lich set it looking great but there is a weird transition here,
    qVNWwxC.png
    Maybe you should cap it off with a nice trim (like what you did on the bottom part of the slot)

Here's my concept, Later I'll take the elements I like (or suggested) and compile it into one.

IGYacci.png
  • blossomalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I would love to take part of this community chest. For now i'll participate on my own (including my boyfriend Vlad, as always), but will let you know if i'll make any collab later. Good luck to everyone!

Workshop Link
    Polycount
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i'm in, too. I'm gonna see if i can get a friend to work with me but if he bails i'll just run solo as usual.
    TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

...after work

edit*
    i'll be working with Saintz - he doesn't polycount much but that's his name.I'll be posting the WIP's and whatnot.

concept coming soon. we're thinking probably a Dark Seer set.
  • The Horse Strangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Horse Strangler polycounter lvl 3
    I'm in! (not sure what I'll do yet!)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in! (not sure what I'll do yet!)

make fancy particles for everyone!!!!!! :poly136:

Edit: OR make a unique polycount chest particle that could be submitted to be applied to the contents of the chest
  • PrivacyEnt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    Since I am new here at dota stuff and didn't finished any decent items yet and the "tax thing", I will just watch and learn for now...
    But so happy that this is happening. :)
  • Scruffnuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with PrivacyEnt,

Very new to this , but would like to give it a try :)
  • KungFuPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector, do you have a story for that concept? also, why are you trying to make him a muslim? I believe number 1 head and shoulders looks best till now.. most vizible one.. but for portrait.. maybe think about the points of view.. maybe do a sketch over the portrait?.. see how much of that would be visible, and think or sketch over an in game view.. again think how much is visible..
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    also, why are you trying to make him a muslim?

@KungFuPanda, Understandable, but clothes are clothes, if someone wore a Chinese kings' robe, does it make him Chinese Ruler? The inspiration was 12/13th century dress, even though it was the time of the Islamic Golden Age, during that time, people wore these types of clothing.

The story may be something like,
    Kunkka was stationed to an island to protect from demons and was being transfer-ed, he needed supplies to travel he bought supplies, he then returned home. After a couple years he was transferred yet again to the island and found that a merchants ship was being attacked by demons, he kills the demons and the merchants gave Kunkka some clothes and tools for him and his crew (since they were ruined in battle).

I'll try the sketch over later thanks for the input :).
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so my second team up is with Mr.Gibbly, he is newer to polycount so he does not have a thread, but he has been around a workshop before, Mr.Gibbly's workshop we are doing this Earth Spirit he did the concept of rm1NUbb.png

And here is my WIP so far, just a bunch of base meshes, mostly done with the zmodeler brush, and a bunch of dynameshes
    8uhdodX.png
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I'm definitely in for this one. Just something simple though as I don't have much time available, probably just a single item (don't know if that's allowed, but I'll do it anyway).

I think a small split of rev for this should go to polycount though, 5/10%?
    Mostly because it's used for communication and knowledge sharing.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d wrote: »

I always give polycount a healthy chunk on workshop for all my submissions, and I would hope most do the same here too, this should be enough from the chest alone chest with PC added as a provider on all submissions
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    I'm definitely in for this one. Just something simple though as I don't have much time available, probably just a single item (don't know if that's allowed, but I'll do it anyway).

There's a system for that already, actually. What I was thinking is to just make sure people give some % of the Service provider slider to Polycount. Seems reasonable enough to me, and it doesn't come out of the artists pocket at all.

basically what kite said, yeah.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    so I thought that I'd start up with a really old concept I had lying around
    tumblr_nbp4a5rDsw1r43xj0o1_1280.png

currently working on some highs to bake to lows and this is what I've got so far
    FWF9pIY.png

I deviated from the concept when I did the boots feeling as if the shin guards would have appeared too similar to some of the others.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    updated the spreadsheet with a new page for teams and heroes
    also added a list to check what heroes are not yet worked on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml#
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    shock, can you add me as looking for a team-up? i`m really not shure i can properly texture that witch doctor set i`m working on. i`ll try to do it... but i fear the outcome.

the earth spirit ideea is really neat looking, but might i suggest you tone down the arm cristals? for a staff wielder mobility is key and that much rock might interfere with the model.... maybe.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Shock wrote: »
    updated the spreadsheet with a new page for teams and heroes
    also added a list to check what heroes are not yet worked on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml#

Dayum, thanks for all the hard work shock! These spreadsheets are great.
    so I thought that I'd start up with a really old concept I had lying around

currently working on some highs to bake to lows and this is what I've got so far

I deviated from the concept when I did the boots feeling as if the shin guards would have appeared too similar to some of the others.

Looking good! I'd hoped this would get made when I last saw it, but that was so long ago I'd completely forgotten about it.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Agito and I will do a puck set together.
    We are both a bit busy so perhaps there will be no progress in the coming 2 weeks, but after it should be fine.
    Here is a quick Sketch of the idea, nothing is finalized yet :)

WJ53wNM.jpg
  • LouKs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm seeing very nice WIP already, can't wait to see how much more these 2 months will bring to us!
    Reza: Interesting concept for puck, I play a lot with him and would be very pleased, except the wings look a little strange.. Try making the front of it a little bigger! Wings tend to be bigger on the front and smaller at the back
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, just checkin in. I can do concept design and textures and I already have one Jugg set in the works with MdK.

This is a link to my workshop page:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/canoners/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570
    and here's my polycount page:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122709

Excited to get back to the workshop!
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snake Ranger best ranger! I really love to see her legs covered, keep breaking the mold. :D

Shiva Lich set with Prophet9 is on the way, I've refined his bracers, veil and leg wrap. Pretty happy with the results so far, I'm a sucker for deity designs.

yW6OIJs.png
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Lovely design cotton! I have some suggestions for you:

1. His head is kind of lost in the shape. Double check your values so it's easy to identify the head.
    2. The reds are kind of stealing the focus IMO. Maybe having the waving silk cloth on the top be red would be nice and it might also help with point no 1.
    3. I love the cobra idea! Why not go all out and make the patterns for the pauldron and the pattern on the wavy waist cloths more cobra-like? You can even try making the overall shapes of everything more like cobra. The waving cloth around his head could potentially be shaped like it.
    4. The coins look out of place imo. I think you can exploit point no 3 to make the idea stronger.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i also got a small update on the lion, was trying some possible solutions for the head.
    i will also try a bit more with different weapon shapes as next step.
    btw my teammate for this set is onilolz

ScqwdSY.jpg
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @shock

I like the idea, but it looks a bit tacked on, especially the head. Having a transition from the "plague" to the original head (like the mouth arm) will make it cooler.
    Right now I'm not sure what the materials are supposed to be, they look like tree root, but I'm guessing you want it to be more like an infection? Having a reference image would help a lot.
    The way the "plague" grows can be designed cooler. How the shape twist around the arm and stuff can still look way sexier.
    The crystals on the weapon seem a bit random to me. Instead of those, maybe they are made from the teeth of the arm?
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    thanks for ur feedback mate. the idea is that a plaguedemon infected him with his gift, that gift is growing arround him a bit like the root of a tree. its also not a soft material, for example at his head its forming some kind of helm. the plague material has 2 layers the light blue rooty one that is growing over him and the desatured dark red as demonflesh under it. so its very much a hardened demontumor. i will work more on it ofc. also about the weapon i did already say in my last post that it is not the final one.
  • KungFuPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shock, also you can try making the head in portrait view.. make sure it reads and looks good there.. since 90% of the time if not more.. people will see his face just in portrait.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Shock: thank you for the spreadsheet, especially the hero pool :) For the 4 head styles, I like the 1st one. The second one (the one with the tentacle mouth) is a bit too much I think. As for his scepter, how about making it look like a mouth (like the one on his arm) holding the red gem :)?
    @Reza: that is one unorthodox concept for puck, especially his wings. They remind me of the eul scepter :) the head looks nice but it seems quite different from the wings and tail. There doesn't seem to be much connection between the head piece and the rest of the set.
    @Hawf: that Drow concept is interesting, she looks like a fierce general :) I really like her hair. The pants is a nice idea, although I'm not sure how the players will react to it. The shoulder armor pad looks a bit uninteresting IMO.
    I'm working on the retopo and UV, the cloak, bow and shoulder are done, I'm still trying to get the hair under the poly limit :( I will post the picture once I'm done baking :D
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Coon Courier

My next step is to retopologize and see just how much I can squeeze down the in-game mesh before I decide for sure what to do about the flying version.

What I REALLY want to do is have a moth that follows him around when he is walking, then picks him up by the scruff and carries him around for flying. If I can't find enough tris after retopo though, he may just have to have a big balloon or use his tail as a propeller or something.

All feedback most welcome!

courier_2_zps57bf9b1a.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some updated info to throw in the spread sheets. Cosmicsugar and I will be doing the Vestments of the Demon Rose for potm you can find in Cosmicsugar's thread. As far as my other collab, Mr.Gibbly is responsible for the concept, and as it stands I will be doing the rest. Keep up the awesome work guys! As always... happy hatting!
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Heyo guys!
    I'd like to participate as well! :)
    EDIT: I'll work in two projects, with Krios, and Mango, as the rules allows.
    Here's my workshop works!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Ewing: I think you should work on the shape of his face a bit more. I would also study DOta 2's fur style in order to get that down. I always find the sculpts shown here to be a great reference: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316375622

Here is my current progress on the Storm Spirit:

PCwi9nE.png

lkJ4laP.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @MdK

The overall sculpt is looking really nice. Clean, with well defined shapes and not overly detailed. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the beard, which looks too uniform, and not what you would expect hair/fur to look like on Dota.

The shoulder/shoulderpads also look a bit too simple. Perhaps that is going to be solved on the texturing stage, but maybe adding some of a raised 'lip' around it like the neck section has, would help make it less plain.

@SeeingTriangles

Going back to your post from last page, just to say that I absolutely LOVE the kinda anime-inspired hairstyles. The sculpts are really quite something. My only critique would be softening some edges up just a little bit, since some of them look quite sharp, mainly on the first one. Also, perhaps some asymmetry on the first hairstyle? It feels a bit weird with everything being symmetrical, specially at the back.

Still, those hairstyles are stunning, can't wait to use them ingame.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Ewing: I think his head's proportion is a bit wrong somewhere, his head looks kinda strange especially in the middle picture. Also I think his fur need a bit more polish.
    @Belkun: thanks a lot for the feedback. Now that you mention it, I think some edges look too sharp too. I will try to soften them up a bit :) It's part of my habit since my texturing skills are bad I thought I should just sculpt every detail there is to lessen the work I do while texturing.
    I'm not sure if I can do anything to the first hairstyle to make its back asymmetrical, it's eating up lots of poly and I'm still struggling with the UV, but I'll check what I can do.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Alright!!! I will be teaming up as 3D artist with DotaFx who drag me out of the basement :D
    Good luck to everyone!!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ewing : I would strongly encourage you to keep looking at references of similarly sculpted animal characters, as done in recent CG movies for instance. At the moment the sculpt is quite lumpy, and considering that Zbrush tends to hide surface information you might end up being disappointed by the way it will turn out once baked.

If you haven't done it already, take the time to make a collage of all the information you need ; like, screenshots of you favorite Dota assets with the fur treatment you like the most (like Coco the Courier for instance), that you will then attempt to match as closely as possible ; and screenshots of a few great raccoon characters that you have seen in animated movies or games.

I would also strongly encourage you to take a few screenshots of your sculpt with a very bright (almost white) material and paint over them in photoshop with a simple multiply layer in order to preview your texture work in advance. (You could also do that as a polypaint pass straight in Zbrush, that's pretty much the same thing.). This will allow you to solve all the design challenges before moving on to the more technical aspects of the asset creation.

Also, show us your concept !
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Still looking for concept art to work on. I've got a few ideas but nothing solid.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    jo baddcog, if u take a look into my spreadsheet u can see that there are still some concept art guys without team https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    can you mark me down for Dark seer shock?
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I'm game for this. I can do everything except animation. (Goal of 2015.) My only problem is time. I've begun my last year at University this week and already busy with a set. So, you guys that do concepts, PM me. Will need to have a texture artist too. I'll do the models.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I will take a look at this from the side line, allready lot of promising stuff!
    Maybe I can trow in some artwork, and team up with a modeler :p

Good Luck everyone, and really looking forward in seeing some finished stuff!
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, i've been away for a few days and this thread is flooded with awesome stuff xD
    great works everywhere i dont even know where to start

@MDK: really like the set, very clean sculpt, i do like the first style of hat better though, cant wait to see how the bakes turn out!

@Ewing: really like the idea, but the sculpt isnt really appeal to me yet, i would strongly suggest you to look up for more cartoon/movie racoon references.

@Shock, cottonwings: really unique ideas for the heroes you got there, really curious to see how these ideas turn out to be when translated into 3d :)

And looks like im gonna team up with Godzy and Sylei probably with a Clock and Warlock set, im working on the concepts atm, and will post them here as soon as they're finished.
  • Good_Chameleon
  • Good_Chameleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We participate ! I texture , Hey Owl - concept and promoart, Adequate - modeling
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/good_chameleon/myworkshopfiles/ - my workshop
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040314106/myworkshopfiles/ - Hey Owl workshop
    h_1423213613_3422035_e70a4492bf.jpg - wip
  • Good_Chameleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another set in which I participate. Es'Kophan - concept, modeling; I - textures and promoart
    h_1423178831_8529249_cda694a52f.png

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124983 - thread Es'Kophan
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    An update, sorry guys, South Africa has this new thing called Load-Shedding (government owned power station regulates who's home/business power is on/off on certain days and times to prevent a national blackout.) To prevent people getting pissed off with me when collaborating when I'm in the dark, I'll rather do this solo. Good luck everyone.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    managed to make some progress with the high-sculpt. It`s plain, clean looks ok on color scheme.... but i find it a bit TOO plain. any ideeas how i could give it some more valence?
    I think the texture will give it some detail too but not that much. Here`s what i have so far. Apologies for the excesive lighting. aparently it stacked everything when i brought all the items together...
    vOlUstu.jpg?1

@MDK: that storm set is shaping very nicely.