Home Dota 2

Is the blade too big for Valve?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
derphouse polycounter lvl 4
Hey all,

So I've started blocking out an idea for a weapon for Axe, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the scale of the weapon, and how much it is allowed to vary from the original?

okjVp.jpg

You can see the image here, that there is quite some difference in the reach of the two weapons. I guess my initial thought would be that it might not make much of a difference for the kind of game that Dota is, but I haven't been doing much work with Workshop items, and would greatly appreciate an experienced opinion on this?

Replies

• vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Both Valve and artist parties have made things that's either irregular colors/proportions and have gone past the design principles, even got those mentioned irregularities accepted. Valve by all means have the right to do whatever suits them, a few artists dare to be spontaneous and make unique stuff that;s irregular. Active communities, i.e. reddit army and the general steam community takes Valve's original provided design documents seriously. However, nothing stops the artists to deviate a bit from the "rules". (Seems optional nowadays, but anyway... continuing rambling.)

I like the idea of a bastard axe you got there, however, judgement is based on mostly the community's clinging vision of the original design documents and Valve ultimately has the choice on what get in and stays out (Or, stockpiles in Workshop World, Limboland ;)).
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Helps a great deal! :)

I'll keep working on it, whether for submission, or simply for fun and practice :D