Home Dota 2

DNADota's Workshop Thread

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DNADota polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys,

With quiet trembling and hopeful expectations, with humble intent and wishful thinking I write this first thread in the Polycount forum.

And not to waste more of your time with the thrills of my soul I present to you the DNADota's Workshop Thread.

Here you will be able to see, review and discuss the work from the DNADota Team, which, besides me, includes the following members: P

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    You seem to be a skilled group of artists. I hope what is in the past has become the past and wish you all the best. One major concern I see with your work is that it is too noisy. Your latest work elevates a lot of that noisiness compared to past work and I hope that direction keeps improving. Good luck.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    You seem to be a skilled group of artists. I hope what is in the past has become the past and wish you all the best. One major concern I see with your work is that it is too noisy. Your latest work elevates a lot of that noisiness compared to past work and I hope that direction keeps improving. Good luck.

Thank you for your observation! It is true - our earlier work was a lot noisier in textures than what is accepted for the game. We changed that even in our earlier sets(Axe and Necrophos). We reworked all of the textures and masks of both sets and now they blend in a lot better with the Dota2 style. Especially Necrophos' set - it became a little cartoony, with bigger, more generalized and distinct forms/materials. The items are more readable in-game with the new textures. Axe also improved. For the next sets we tried to keep this new style right from the start. Of course, incorporating detail is always something to strive for and while the sets do have a lot of detail in them, the noise has been significantly reduced. Thank you ;)
  • The Horse Strangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Horse Strangler polycounter lvl 3
    Your latest set, the shaman set, still feels pretty noisy.
  • terra.cotta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its crazy noisy.
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    That is Huuge ton of work! Very cool.

Mostly Like Rhasta, than Huskar. Awesome work on Loadscreens and icons /

Searched for 5 mins in your submision page i found its very very hard to focus mind on something. Too much information , i should advice you not to do at least presentation icons so complex. ( each of them have a UI , Logo , Mesage about it , and glows and all it together multiplied for 5-6 times on 1 page is harsh. You managed to make it polished with Rhasta present.icons. and hope you will catch it in future works. Yes) Rhasta that is awesome)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Echoing some of the thoughts so far. All submissions are extremely noisy and it makes it really hard to focus on anything. I had a really hard time even telling what heroes were the submissions for, like on Shadow Shaman. The extra stuff like particles and abilities really don't help the sets at all. Also, the names are really really uninspired and actually straight up just not good, and those don't do any favors to the sets either.

I'd like to see something much more simpler and fitting, because so far it seems like you guys are trying to do too many things at once and it is degrading the overall quality of the work.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    We have mentioned before that valve avoids item sets that invade "Imortal and Arcana Territory"
    so you'll be wasting a lot of time and effort to go all out on something that doesn't need all the fancy particles and icons
    at this point it just looks incredibly arrogant
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Hawt arrogant?? O_o. Everyone has free will to upload submissions as he please. Doing particle sets you also allow fx artists to cut into dota cake so thats nice. By any means I would not call that arrogant. However as you said such sets have limited posibilities for getting into game right now.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Hawt! Have a snickers man! You aren't yourself when you are hungry!
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    @Hawt arrogant?? O_o. Everyone has free will to upload submissions as he please. Doing particle sets you also allow fx artists to cut into dota cake so thats nice. By any means I would not call that arrogant. However as you said such sets have limited posibilities for getting into game right now.

Thank you for this comment, Konras! I really like your style btw and respect you as one of the professionals in the dota 2 workshop. What we had in mind when we started creating these "particle" sets is to set a higher standard for common sets. In other words the nowadays "rare" quality sets to feature custom particles, custom ability icons etc. Of course, right now even though a lot of artists are beginning to incorporate custom particles/icons into their work and keeping up with the standard so to speak Valve hasn't actually reflected that into their in-game cosmetics. Most of the professional artists from the Dota 2 Workshop are making "particle" sets in the last few months. Why?? Because they can keep up with increasing standard of what is an "item set". Of course, adding fx to your items in most cases means having a whole team working on a set. You need a guy who can do particles, someone who focuses on that particular niche. That does not mean he can do only fx, but the amount of work to complete the nowadays "average" set has increased. I do believe that Valve will recognize this new direction of the Dota 2 Workshop, because I think that particles, when implemented with ideas behind them and executed professionally do in fact add depth and complexity to the character/game. As far as I know Valve are working on "source engine 2" right now. Now, my information is very limited but I think they will be adding an easier method for importing particles into the game with it. I believe waiting for this new "tool" is the main reason for them to hold back on all these quality "particle" sets that we have seen on the Workshop in the past few months. What do you think?
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    I have to agree with most people here: your sets are quite noisy and a lot of your particles are often an overkill. I've mentioned that several times on your submissions and I'm happy to see that you're improving :D The concepts on the other hand are damn great.
    On the whole particles issue I think that valve is doing the right thing excluding sets that are extremely particle focused. So far most of them don't look well and use particles just so that people would go "wow particles, volvo plz add". Same goes for your axe set. The particles there are really not necessary, especially the bling-bling ones...
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Yeah Hawt! Have a snickers man! You aren't yourself when you are hungry!

hawt koffee need hot coffee instead of Snickers :P
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Coffee obtained, that last comment I made was dumb, not really sure where it came from.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 1st set for New Bloom 2015! Earth Spirit here.

6d458706d4.gif 6846a81093.gif
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 2nd set for New Bloom 2015! Nyx Assassin this time!

5eb6f94b4a.gif 52263e9f2d.gif
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 3rd set for New Bloom 2015! Outworld Devourer this time!

57bbc558b1.gif f2a76467aa.gif
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    the Nyx horns clipping is a bit too much imo. as for the other 2, i don't think they stand out from the rest that much. I do like the BH set though!
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    This must be the first OD set in a long time. It makes a lot of sense aesthetically though, I like it!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That OD set is IMPRESSIVE!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I love the roof tile wings, very unique and also fitting.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 4th set for New Bloom 2015! Chaos Knight this time!

10cb2686e1.gif c052944357.gif
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 5th set for New Bloom 2015! Razor this time!

aec0e37831.gif 4f4f2fd931.gif
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our 6th set for New Bloom 2015! Disruptor as our last set before the deadline.

e9a14fe115.gif 71d1cb4e91.gif
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    DNADota wrote: »
    Our 6th set for New Bloom 2015! Disruptor as our last set before the deadline.

e9a14fe115.gif 71d1cb4e91.gif

IMHO, The mount's face doesn't really look alive. I can't really describe why though. maybe because the face doesn't have a default expression but a specific expression. the easier way to describe what I mean is too look at two previous mount works of your team members. these 2 mounts (mirana and luna) share the exact same issue but it's a lot stronger than this disruptor. I know they are early works but this issue somehow still exists in this distruptor mount. both of those old mounts have their mouths open which shows their expression of shouting or Neighing, but then capturing this very expression alone makes the mount like a dead statue rather than a walking mount. Also the face has an non-organic shape and there is smth either with the texture or the masks that adds to it looking not alive. For example to me, this disrupter mount's face, feels to be made of wood rather than skin.
    I hope I haven't offened any of you guys. I remember I gave exactly the same comment over those two mounts but they were both deleted :(. this is just what I feel about the mounts you guys have made so far, except the CK which has a mask and doesn't need to look alive :)
    keep up the good work :thumbup:
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, bro, all these 3 mounts were made by the same person. With the Mirana mount he tried to make it look like a statue, but I don't think that's the way to go. The CK mount was made by me. The disruptor mount is way ahead of the mirana and luna(those two are 1 year old) but it still has these non-organic features on his cheeks and forehead which make it resemble A BIT a statue. I will forward this feedback to the artist. Thank you.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our new concept for Earthshaker.

mGO3mO3.jpg
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Ehm... tell me watcha know about stealin'?
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    I've seen it somewhere. That's funny.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I believe Yuri made a similiar totem? I would recommend you guys to change it... Maybe make a elephant totem or something instead? :)
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great, but yeah +1 to what Rocket said
    Overall it looks like you took all the cool items for ES and mashed them together into one set :/
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you please provide links? I am an item junkie and I know pretty much all items implemented in the game.

We are very serious when it comes down to originality of our concepts.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    here u go
    its the current project of rocket and yuri.
    just change the shape of ur totem and everything is fine i guess
    10749952_313516032172609_3414384010647931583_o.png
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahahahaha We were unaware of this work. Excuse us.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have cause with our concept. We were unaware of this Eartshaker work by Yuri and Rocket. We are willing to change any part of our concept that resembles the work of the aforementioned artists.

Our idea here was to convey the image of the elephant into the armors of the Earthshaker. As you may know the elephant is the largest land animal. We felt that it is very close to the idea of "earth-shaker" so we set that as the base of our concept. We will work with this idea on our set - the elephant being the main theme. Almost every part of our concept connects to the image of the elephant. The hands are like elephant legs. The head has the elephant tusks attached to it. The totem of course a huge elephant tusk. However, we will change it, featuring 2 elephant heads - 1 on each side. Also our arms feature a circular element that is present in Rocket/Yuri's set - we will remove this from our item, too.

We will present the new, reworked concept to you, guys, in a couple of hours.

Please, let us know if u want us to change anything else.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the new, reworked concept for our Earthshaker set.

J6LlvtS.jpg
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I think the new totem looks better with this set anyways :thumbup:
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    ^ kite212

the new totem suits the set more, looks more royal and expensive~
    really lovely painting as well (droll at the artskill
  • cosmicsugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dude! That set looks SICK. The ivory works well with ES palette, makes him look an earthshaker who didn't need to buy wards :P
    Can't wait to see more!
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our new Crystal Maiden set for Na`Vi.

dcbcbaa99c.gif 36410cf5cd.gif
    ba45979049.gif
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt wrote: »
    Let it go...

:)
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our new set for Earthshaker:

2e90a2d748.gif 4a523a205e.gif
  • Stewart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuckin awesome
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Came out nicely! Though I really wish you would have kept the tusk totem from the original concept. You weren't stealing the idea, it was just similar and IMO would have fit the theme much better than then totem you have now.
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something we've been working on.

ed8279100a.jpg