Home General Discussion

So I was watching the new Turtles film...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
First of all, don't judge... It wasn't too bad, even if the Turtles were awful, looks wise...

But that's sort of what I want to talk about.

Now, usually the memory constraints and budgets for CGI is a lot higher, so they don't have to worry about texture resolutions, polycounts, and... Mirror seams?

image.jpg

Oh dear!

Do you guys have any other, hopefully better examples of CGI in films that's had some obvious errors? Once I saw this on the Bluray at home (first time I saw this) I had to stop the film at pause it! The wife was totally lost haha, but this stuff really stands out to me!

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I'm assuming you're talking about the tip of the nose, in which case I think you might be pixel-peeping a little too much. Sure, you can see it, but it's not all that blatantly smack-in-the-face awful.

Maybe I'm just not picky enough.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Must not be that obvious because I'm not getting what the problem with this screenshot is...

Is the mild texture rorschach symmetry in the center of the face you're bothered by?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    It's about the gap around the turtle's eyes, it's HUGE!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    They probably painted the texture with symmetry on in something like Mari and forgot to go over the line of symmetry to clean up. Shit like this happens all the time.

Considering how fast the turnaround times for things like this is in movies, I don't find it terribly surprising. Given that a full character will be worked on by a whole team of people and it'll receive tweaks and adjustments to different chunks at different times, I'm actually surprised you don't see stuff like this more often.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    It's tough to say for certain why that is that way, I'm thinking it's possibly from symetry painting and then not taking a little more effort to clean it up. I do believe that film VFX is often under much for extreme time crunch than anything we do in games. With film, VFX only need to be "good enough" things can be fudged a little if they're not too important.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    I can't think of any mistakes, but I do amuse/annoy my friends by calling out canned maps when I see them. Pixar, oddly enough, uses quite a few.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Is he not referring to the giant seam acoss the purple bandage?
  • coljwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coljwood vertex
    You have remember that these things don't get made to please us lot. The average viewer would not spot that, or even care. If I was the one creating it though (and i'm obviously nowhere near that level either way) then it would really irritate me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Considering how many times the average big budget movie character gets reworked, it is kind of mind blowing that that butterflying made it through onto a major characters face.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah that's pretty nuts for on a face in a CG film, since CG films love to zoom in on faces waaay more than for a liveaction actor. Also, altho minor, the UVs on Don's purple eyemask is pretty sloppy for a prominent camera area of a face aswell.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Your average 8 year old is not going to care. (Edit, I didn't mean to sound stand offish, but they wont).

Now this always stands out to me as "whyyyyyyyy?"

bridgesintron3_1332177542.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    yeah tbh it's only us who will ever notice ever lawl.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    IF you ever take Scott Eaton's anatomy class, he routinely crushes ILM.

This was probably the worst thing I remember:
    They basically ignored all back anatomy and just copied the front anatomy to the back:

watchmen-Manhattan01-dock.jpg

:/
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    What's wrong in the Tron: Legacy picture?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    In VFX we always have to worry about texture res and poly count. It's definitely not an unlimited free for all that many think. Plus these things aren't meant to be freeze framed and examined closely, not least because it's a childs film where they will care even less.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Thats a really giant glaring oversight seeing just how every modeler ever at least tries to hide the damn seams.

Also the purple cloth bump map stretching is killing me.

Also the Giant gap between the eyeballs and eyelids...

oh god i need to stop looking at this xD
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael has it too.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I also never got the big issue with young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy. Sure, it looked a little uncanney valley, but given the context I thought it was forgivable. Not as bad as people make it out to be.

None of these other mistakes are too big of a deal to anyone other than us artists though. Although it is a bit funny that stuff that most entry level artists know to get rid of shows up in big budget movies.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course we always assume that people working on these big budget films are the best of the best and not the lowest bidding contractor.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Kryzon wrote: »
    What's wrong in the Tron: Legacy picture?

Hahahaha !! it's because you shoud'have to see the whole scene with 3d glasses with a huge screen at the time this was running in the movies.

They tried to portrait Jeff Bridges, the original star in Tron 1 younger. In 3d it looked unnatural while at the same time well done, but still it gave you a weird feeling that was palpable by everyone in the theater.

Tron_Legacy_movie.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    how fast is that scene in the movie?
    I remember seeing a still of a hangar bay scene in one of tyhe newer bond movies and it was awful. Coppied people in the background. Pilots looked like a crappy photoshop job. But, then you realize its only on screen for a second and no one would ever notice the shoddy work unless they freezes it.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    @skankerzero You can be better than the best all you want, but it comes to naught if the client makes a decision, for better or worse. I can think of a dozen scenarios where something like this would end up in a final product.

Are devs answerable to creative direction from outside the team?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    @skankerzero You can be better than the best all you want, but it comes to naught if the client makes a decision, for better or worse. I can think of a dozen scenarios where something like this would end up in a final product.

Are devs answerable to creative direction from outside the team?

Oh trust me, I have tons of those stories, but I'm pretty sure uv stretching and texturing mirroring are not something that the client pushed back on. Especially when the other 2 turtles don't have it from what I was able to see.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, I'm not suggesting clients request or even notice tech errors, i'm saying who knows what crazy feedback came in that week that resulted in textures not being touched up properly.

Could be as simple as he was briefed to be covered in moblur in midground shots for the majority of the film until the director changed the shot to an extreme closeup at the last minute.

The quality of his eye (heavy iris surface disp, and lack of detail overall suggest to me that's the case :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yeah, I hate that.

**Early in dev pipeline**
    'So this character is a background character?'
    'Yeah.'

**2 weeks before ship**

'Let's bring that character to the foreground. It will make for a stronger composition.'
    ':<'
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind texture fixes if i have someone on hand. texture is easy to update.

the feedback I hate the most is simulation. If the client is obsessing about sfx animation, as it's beyond your ability to control, bid time against or to make promises of client satisfaction.

Anything else is normally going to be a multidepartmental ballache of varying degrees of pain, but at least you can estimate how much pain and who has to endure it farily quickly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    texture is easy to update.

depends on how far it is in the pipeline, once rendering started and comping and whatnot, this can become real problem. Ingame such a fix is much easier to apply than in film.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, i meant comparatively easy, you're dead right about how far downstream.

of any 3d fixes that can't be hidden in comp, texture errors has the lowest impact. straightforward rerender only.

with model changes you know off the bat your entire pipe has to reiterate, and if your change was lighting only, you're on the home stretch.

Sim is pretty late in the pipe, but i've found if the clients aren't buying it, its a processor expensive, long and unpleasant journey back on track.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    This was probably the worst thing I remember:
    They basically ignored all back anatomy and just copied the front anatomy to the back:

watchmen-Manhattan01-dock.jpg

:/

The super sad thing about Dr. Manhattan there is that they've originally started with a pretty nice, sort of classical sculpture looking model from a well-known artist - and then one of the sups took it and reworked the thing completely.

Sorry I can't remember the name or any links.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still, a studio like ILM should have caught that.

ILM didn't work on Watchmen, I think it was Sony?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saddest thing about Tron Legacy CG characters is that noone seems to remember or even have noticed the CG Bruce Boxleitner:

http://www.danplatt.com/?p=187

tron_boxleitner.jpg

Completely convincing. I really hope we're gonna get a sequel with that character...
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    vargatom wrote: »
    Saddest thing about Tron Legacy CG characters is that noone seems to remember or even have noticed the CG Bruce Boxleitner:

http://www.danplatt.com/?p=187

tron_boxleitner.jpg

Completely convincing. I really hope we're gonna get a sequel with that character...

thats the sad thing about work like this , if you`re doing your job right noone will notice you did it at all
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    The right people will.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    depends on how far it is in the pipeline, once rendering started and comping and whatnot, this can become real problem. Ingame such a fix is much easier to apply than in film.
    In film you have a team of roto monkies though.
    "You want us to repaint Donatellos nose every frame through this 20 minute sequence? Again? Yes sir."
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd hope for a CG char they'd do a pixel point pass rather than rotoscope. I'm sure team roto struggled hard enough removing the actors :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    **Early in dev pipeline**
    'So this character is a background character?'
    'Yeah.'

**2 weeks before ship**

'Let's bring that character to the foreground. It will make for a stronger composition.'
    ':<'

Ah yes. The old forced to polish turds situation. Happens way too often. Usually enforced by someone who doesn't understand the art pipeline. Usually managers who lack foresight or don't bother to plan ahead.