Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    So, midseason premiere tonight. Was one of the best episodes ever, IMO. The direction and editing alone was the best they've ever done, not to mention the performances and where the story is headed now. Top notch, full marks.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    lol, i'm of the opposite opinion. I feel like it was one of the weakest, lamest episodes of the entire series.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha totally fair, I can definitely see why some of the stuff they put in would seem kind of lame, and it was a pretty big departure from the usual stuff. Dem cameos though.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Loved this episode, was well written and acted, pacing was great, not too much action. Hope they keep with this tact.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    As a big fan of the comic I stopped watching this show a few years ago. I caught this last episode while waiting to see Better Call Saul and got a solid reminder why I stopped watching it. What a shitty episode.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I didn't like it much either. Too much noodling. Didn't seem much like actual character development, but just buying time. Kind of liked the dialog between Rick Michonne and Glenn though. Ironing complicated details out like village elders, that was cool. Tyrese's hallucinations went on too long, I felt myself hoping he'd hurry up and die already. Upset he went out as a softie too. Staring at pictures when he's supposed to clear the dang house. As notman mentioned, this guy was supposed to be hardcore and capable. Meh oh well
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    blazed wrote: »
    Because of my debate with notman I actually took the time to read the comics during the Christmas period from issue 1 to the latest.

I'll say this: if you haven't read them I encourage you to if you like the walking dead, because I'd say the comic is much better in every way.

I'm glad it inspired you ;) That's also why I mentioned being careful how anything from the comics are referenced, because even though the show doesn't strictly follow the comics, they do cross paths, from time to time. Sometimes, out of order.
    And while I like them keeping things different from the comics, to keep it interesting for the readers (as you mentioned), I do think most of the changes, have not been for the better. Daryl is probably the only difference, that I like.

As for this episode, I felt like Tyreese ended up just being a giant waste of a character. He was such a badass in the comics, but such a pussy in the show. They made him the moral compass, and neutered that character. I was hoping, at some point, they were going to release his badassness©, but it never happened. Sad.

Instead, we get Noah, who I find to be completely annoying, and useless. He couldn't even manage to get help, without getting caught holding off zombies with some lattice.

The ONLY thing I found interesting, was the stack of torsos, which were mysteriously missing, earlier, then end up falling out of that truck, when they are driving away. I hope they get explained, at some point.
    And I thought the way it was filmed, was interesting. Seeing moments of the upcoming events, in a red herring intro. The rest of it was a bit meh though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Called it

:thumbup:
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I might stop watching too. It's getting really dumb. Did they not listen to what fans were saying or anything at all about what happened to Beth? Because they basically just did that again with Tyreese... And the entire episode, like almost half, was just him and a bunch of other older characters procrastinating in the room while he hallucinated. The good thing about the comics is that they didn't doodle around, there was always something happening and it was for the better to really move the plot alot. In the comics when a character died it really meant something and you felt something from it. But in the TV show you really don't get that at all because its basically just becoming predictable now who's going to die and who won't. The only reason I would want to keep watching is to see if they get to New Alexandria or not at the end of this season but I doubt they will considering how off track the show is and how long they procrastinate things.

Also, if you've read the comics, did you notice how Glenn picked up the baseball bat? Possible foreshadowing with Negan?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Staring at pictures when he's supposed to clear the dang house.
    That was so dumb. Are we meant to think the zombie was a stealth pro (Seems likely considering the selective competence of zombies in this show) or that Tyreese became so absorbed in a photograph he forgot to hear death shuffling up behind him? You'd think you'd clear the house first before looking at stuff / looting. Don't think I'll bother with the rest of this show unless I'm particularly bored.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    With all of the money they get from the commercials they run every 3 minutes I would hope they'd be able to afford some new writers and better effects. Shame.

I think this show has it's up's and well... honestly mostly downs. It's so corny and "unrealistic" most of the time. I'm always sitting there saying "What the hell is he/she doing? are they freaking stupid?". I think this show has gotten too "mainstream" if that's the right word for it. The show was actually pretty good until they fired Frank Darabont.
    Bek wrote: »
    That was so dumb. Are we meant to think the zombie was a stealth pro (Seems likely considering the selective competence of zombies in this show) or that Tyreese became so absorbed in a photograph he forgot to hear death shuffling up behind him? You'd think you'd clear the house first before looking at stuff / looting. Don't think I'll bother with the rest of this show unless I'm particularly bored.

This stuff happens all of the time! Plus how did he open the door? wasn't he locked in a room? or am I mistaken.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I found it rather boring, and did anyone else see Glenn's interview I think on the tonight show (I can't find the clip) where he just brushes off the fans who find the little things annoying like the grass being cut, I wonder why they don't pick up on the bigger issues being complained about
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @blazed - you don't have to spoiler tag things that have already happened in the show, it's mainly for comics and predictions in the show based on the comics
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @blazed - you don't have to spoiler tag things that have already happened in the show, it's mainly for comics and predictions in the show based on the comics

I think he's concerned about our earlier conversation, but yeah, only predictions/spoilers from the comics, need to be 'spoilered'. We assume that you saw the episode, or you shouldn't be in the thread :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You'd think you'd clear the house first before looking at stuff / looting.
    This is a character who also let himself get completely surrounded by dozens of zombies with only a hammer. He's not prone to making good decisions when his emotions get the best of him.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I just feel like his exit reeked of 'convenience'. I liked the character and didn't think that was a fitting way for him to go, especially with everyone just coming off the loss of beth.

Why they threw that curve ball in there made no sense. The show has serious pacing issues.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It kind of felt like they skipped Beth's death... usually they dwell on things a lot more, but maybe that's what next episode will be more like if it includes the rest of the group
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    I just feel like his exit reeked of 'convenience'. I liked the character and didn't think that was a fitting way for him to go, especially with everyone just coming off the loss of beth.

Why they threw that curve ball in there made no sense. The show has serious pacing issues.

He died a lot earlier in the comics so he was on borrowed time.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, he also existed earlier in the comics, but I agree... his time was coming

He had that moment, in the comics, where his daughter and boyfriend, did that suicide pact, that put him over the edge, and made him a real badass. Then he starts banging Michonne, for most of their time in the prison, until the governor takes off his head, with Michonne's katana. :(

I choose to mourn his comic book version (again), rather than this mere shadow of the original character.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5

Not really a justification though, the show goes off on its own and develops characters its own way. Everybody knew he was on borrowed time though because the show treats certain characters like expendables and others untouchable.

I haven't read the comics but what I find annoying is, the comics are apparently way ahead of the show and yet the show spends an hour on the characters walking through the forest. I would have liked it much better if they cut down the seasons to like 8-9 episodes, which could easily be done (if not for AMC).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I need to rewatch the first season but I don't remember it being that great under Darabont. I forgave a lot because it was my favorite comic and a zombie show on TV but the characters were shallow and the writing blunt. It had a really strong opening but other than that it's mostly a blur with some cringe worthy episodes that stand out in my mind. Best example of bad writing: everyone hates Lorie and Andrea. Luckily they turned Carol into who Andrea was supposed to be, I don't know if she was originally planned to be anything other than an abused wife in the first season.

Comics come out pretty slow, I only read the trades and I've fallen behind a bit in favor of B.P.R.D. but there isn't that much padding. Things get sort of nuts, I'm not sure how they are going to handle things with their current budget.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would rather it stays behind the comics far enough to avoid what's going to happen with Game of Thrones, where they run out of official material. I don't want TWD to go full Dexter and sputter out into irrelevance.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember, the next location, in the comics, takes up quite a few issues. As long as they don't skip over shit, like I felt they did with the Governor, it should take a while. Though, I do get the feeling that they want to catch up, to the comics, so they can stop hearing "that's not how it was in the comics". It will give them more freedom. I just hope the comics don't start following the show.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Kinda surprised so many didnt like the tyrese episode... I thought it was so well done. I mean, we've seen him going down hill mentally for a while. So his end was just so well done, and followed that path. Seeing all those he loved and such.

Also, I heard they were suppose to be going more on track with the comics moving forward, since they have a spinoff in the works. same universe. different location and group of survivors, completely separate from the comics. So they have free reign with them.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda surprised so many didnt like the tyrese episode
    It felt like something they could have covered in 10 minutes instead of an entire episode.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Aaron! I don't want to spoil anything but I'm curious how much of his character they bring over. Really liked this guy as well.

Looks like we're going to Alexandria, my friends!
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty slow episode although I liked a bunch of different parts of it. Would be nice to see them get the fuck outta the woods though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I had a friend, that was going to watch the repeat run (because he doesn't have a dvr, and missed the 1st 15 mins). When I got done watching, I told him to only watch the last 10 minutes. The rest of it was a giant waste. We didn't need an hour to sell viewers on how desperate, hungry, and sad they were.

As a side note, episodes like this, really emphasize how dumb it was to keep Judith alive. Are we really supposed to believe that she's been doing fine, when everyone else was dehydrated, and near starved to death? And she's not crying? What about when they kill the dogs... did she eat some of the meat (impossible for a baby her age)? Because, otherwise, she'd still be hungry.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    When Carl left her on the floor to help brace the door, I thought it was OVER.

Clock is ticking. Only thing more dangerous than being an infant is probably being a toddler...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Maybe I need to rewatch the first season but I don't remember it being that great under Darabont. I forgave a lot because it was my favorite comic and a zombie show on TV but the characters were shallow and the writing blunt. It had a really strong opening but other than that it's mostly a blur with some cringe worthy episodes that stand out in my mind.

I think the show started out with a LOT of promise. It stumbled in a few areas, but ultimately it was still trying to find its voice.

It's pretty amazing to think what would have happened if it were still under Darabont. More Flashback episodes, deeper character development.

http://io9.com/5873878/frank-darabonts-amazing-walking-dead-episode-that-youll-never-see

The first episode (the only one he directed) seemed like one of the best episodes of TV I'd ever seen.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this show is on a major downward spiral

how would all of those zombies have found them in the barn??? ...hopefully they weren't set up by the new guy, they already played out that card back in the prison
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I think the show started out with a LOT of promise. It stumbled in a few areas, but ultimately it was still trying to find its voice.

It's pretty amazing to think what would have happened if it were still under Darabont. More Flashback episodes, deeper character development.

http://io9.com/5873878/frank-darabonts-amazing-walking-dead-episode-that-youll-never-see

The first episode (the only one he directed) seemed like one of the best episodes of TV I'd ever seen.

The comic doesn't really touch on the past at all, it stays in the present reality of the zombie outbreak, the show already does too many flashbacks as it is.

I was trying to come up with my biggest critique of Darabont's work and I think maudlin sums it up, I googled Darabont + Maudlin to find others coming to the same conclusion so I'm not totally crazy.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I was watching it yesterday..... And I realized how boring this show was.

I did not finish the episode, but my guess is: Some black guy will die, then replaced with another visible minority, scavenge

And spin the wheel.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give that man an Emmy.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Carol found her niche, lol
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    A HUGE THUMBSUP!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Clos3d wrote: »
    I was watching it yesterday..... And I realized how boring this show was.

I did not finish the episode, but my guess is: Some black guy will die, then replaced with another visible minority, scavenge

And spin the wheel.

You got a gay character... close enough ?

I liked last episode. Some stuff happened. No one died like a moron. They weren't making 'oh I'm so depressed' faces.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    yeah there was a bit of lame writing, but this episode was a breath of fresh air compared to the last two turds.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would you waste the flair gun shot on a walkers head? it wasn't even that visually appealing, I guess it offered an orange area light for the remainder of the killings but still you would think that would be something you would want to save

and no I don't justify it as it was life or death... the situation wasn't that bad and that walker was already behind them and no longer in the way

Also Rick is becoming a push over, he says one thing a few times then someone else speaks up against it and he quietly agrees (noticed in the past few episodes)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    "Also Rick is becoming a push over, he says one thing a few times then someone else speaks up against it and he quietly agrees (noticed in the past few episodes)"

QF effin T
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Completley agree about the first two episodes and all that filler...I mean what happened?

The Producer said they've got enough material to go ten years...sure didnt look like it to me.

Last episode though....it was like a completely different show...glad Rick did his hide thing...never trust anyone...or anything.

Really sorry to see Tyrese go, I liked him.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    why would you waste the flair gun shot on a walkers head? it wasn't even that visually appealing, I guess it offered an orange area light for the remainder of the killings but still you would think that would be something you would want to save.

Thought he did it as a distraction, aren't they attracted to fire? I can't remember these things.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    *yawn* very little happening in the show... they grab the guy, get in the car, drive through some zombies and arrive at a gate...show over...wtf?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    eric is a good guy and also new Alexandra safe zone is here guys woo
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    one other thing also anyone keeping up to date with the comic?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The apple sauce thing was the only part of the episode, that really bugged me this time. I agree, it's not like he's allergic to it, or something threatening to him. It seemed like a lame attempt to make the audience think it's poisoned.

@sziada: I still read the comics, on a regular basis
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I really liked this one, and I agree it was a breath of fresh air compared to the last two episodes. I don't mind episodes without a lot of action as long as there is solid character development. That was the case here.

We returned to the debate that Rick, Michonne, and Glenn had in that neighborhood about the NEED to find somewhere to settle (something that has been brewing beneath the surface). Along with the cumulative mistrust and caution that Rick has collected along the way, we saw the conclusion to that agony with the simple sounds of kids playing. We saw Glenn return to Dale's teachings about RV repair seasons back. We saw more clues driving the point home that this group are road veterans in this new world. To cap all this off, we had some [imo] intelligent and engaging dialogue between Aaron and Rick in which Aaron first introduces the pivotal concept to the remainder of the story. And in a very convincing yet undoubtedly suspicious way, he explains:

People are the most important resource now. Good reliable people who can help each other survive. Trust and community is the only way. We need you

Awaiting Lucille's arrival...
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    notman wrote: »
    The apple sauce thing was the only part of the episode, that really bugged me this time. I agree, it's not like he's allergic to it, or something threatening to him. It seemed like a lame attempt to make the audience think it's poisoned.

I saw it as a clue to his gayness (mom wanted to make me manlier) but agree. It would have better fit the rest of the dialogue if he made a disgusted face but tried it without hesitation. Afterwards perhaps explaining why he made the face but accepting he still has to earn Rick's trust. Oh well
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah this last episode was way better then the last couple of episodes. I'm pretty surprised they made it to the Safe Zone so quickly... in the comics it takes a little bit more time, dunno if they were going to drag that out at all. Should be fun! Cant wait for
    Mr. Baseball Bat man to show up :D Also has anyone else noticed that theres been a lot of head smashing around Glenn is particular? My theory is hes going to bite it like he does in the comics and that'd be the season finale... With Negan :o