Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest

Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

Replies

• Pangahas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Can people from other servers, in my case SEA join?

Yes.
  • SebaDom
    Offline / Send Message
    SebaDom polycounter lvl 4
    Kaarna wrote: »
    Does the character category allow for designing your own skin/interpretation of the champion or do we need to stick to existing designs?

You can recreate the champion's base skin, one of the champion's other skins or design your own. Please remember that we will need to make out that the asset you create is indeed a LoL character..

I red a lot of questions but this one is the one that i was serching for since it is about creating a character or not. Although this question has been answered i could understand it. So my question is:

Do i have to remodel a character/texture/animation? or can i create skin i have though of? for example an arcadia Skin for jax

Sure. You can recreate something already in the game with your own take or create something new. It is entirely up to you.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    So just to clear up any confusion/ put it in black & white, I can use any model for the animation portion of the contest as long as it was created prior to the contest?

Sorry if its redundant at this point, just want it clear before I start anywork :)

Yes. Use any rig you would like to use. The model you use is not going to influence judging.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    For Character Art, what does this mean exactly ??
    Try to keep the texture for each item on its own single 2048 diffuse sheet

When you say 'item', do you mean like face, hair planes, body armors etc. Or do you mean like Summoner, Pet, Weapon. Or do you mean 1 summoner -> 1x2048 map.

For the character section, everything should be in one (1) 2048 map.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    For Character Art, what does this mean exactly ??

When you say 'item', do you mean like face, hair planes, body armors etc. Or do you mean like Summoner, Pet, Weapon. Or do you mean 1 summoner -> 1x2048 map.

+1, does this just mean 1 X 2048 diffuse map for the whole character including weapons, props, etc? Basically all fit onto one map?

Yes. Everything on one (1) 2048 map.
  • Pierson3d
    I saw somebody else ask this but am also wondering about recommendations for height in the illustration category, i.e. 3000px-?px. What size do riot employees use for their working files in terms of splash art?

7000 x 4130 is what we use internally and then scaled for the end result.
  • Rios
    So for VFX, do you have an example for what you mean on having a sphere casting the spells? I would love to go and shoot some live action footage with the intent to be used to show a specific spell for a champion.

The spheres will represent the character or object that is casting or receiving an effect. Essentially a grey sphere could be the source of a weapon attack that fires a projectile at another sphere.
  • Liz_a
    Can i do a clay model? in the character category

No. This is a digital 3d model.
  • juancaratino
    Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, How are you? My questions

1) THIS CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO CURRENT VALID MEMBERS OF LEAGUEOFLEGENDS.COM AND/OR ITS RELATED LOCAL SITES (THE “SITE”)

Please review Post #14: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2153883&postcount=14

2) Latin American participants are eligible?

Yes.
  • miguelrsmx
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelrsmx polycounter lvl 6
    OK, so for animators, the rig doesn't matter at all... it doesn't have to llok like any specific character I assume? I can just go with a vanilla Norman and go crazy with him?

Also, do the animations have to be based on actual League of Legends Characters/Abilities, or can we come up with our own?

As in:
    This is Joe, the Dude of the Freljord. Here's a walk cycle, here's his ultimate, "Casual Destruction"

I hope my questions are clear enough =P

Yes, the Norman rig is fine. It does not have to be based on a specific champion. Have fun and create animations that would match the animation style of LoL.

Also, first post, even though I've been lurking around since the TF2 contest :v

Awesome! Glad you have moved from lurker to poster.
  • DanThiry
    Hi, I'm pretty excited for this contest. For the animation submission, do you allow 2d traditional animation? The action of the animation will be the same for each camera angle.

Unfortunately, this is a digital animation contest and we state that you can use whatever rig you choose.
  • rawgon
    In the Illustration category, if we choose to illustrate a "set of Champions"
    do they have to be related in the game or make any sense together?

thank you

I have spoken with the team and creating an image with many champions is fine. Please remember to make sure there is a strong sense of storytelling.
  • Volgera
    A quick question about the creep den specifics:

Do you need to (or are you allowed to) redesign an existing creep den (blue buff/red bufff/ wolves etc.) or do you have to create an entirely new type of creep den (in which X type of creep would live)?

It is entirely up to you. This is a fan art contest but if you want to design your own stuff, you can do so.

Also, is there a limit to the amount of poly's the high-poly and low-poly models can have?

There are no hard limits on polycounts but efficiency is appreciated: use your best judgment and make every polygon count.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    If i have no intention of ever playing the game, can i donate any RP that i win (if i win) to someone who would actually use them?
    Whatever Lol account you list will be the one the RP goes to.
  • fehrata
    Hey, I normally do Illustration with one more person, is it ok?
    I know the prize will be the same, but the credits can be to both illustrators?
    And can I do more than one illustration?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no working in teams for this contest.
  • omare14
    To clear up one last thing for animation. Do you care much about animating the facial expressions for our characters? Looking at the models/animations for existing characters on lolking.net shows that the facial expressions pretty much remains the same. Considering the game camera is pretty far away, would the facial expressions just be for extra brownie points, or what? Just curious on your stance on this matter.

No need for facial animations. We are going to be judging the action, weight and impact of your animations and not facial/lip sync.
  • AdrenalineAngel
    Hey there! I know the rules say it can't be old art, but I coincidentally had just started a Jinx illustration. It isn't yet finished, though. Since it was started probably a day or so before you posted the contest, though unfinished and WIP documented, would I still not be able to submit it as an entry? Or maybe have it finished before the deadline to not have an unfair advantage of a day?

Unfortunately, please either start over or select a different character. We would not want individuals to get an unfair advantage.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Clarification about teamwork and timing:

Would a piece that is using someone else's concept that was started ever so recently before the actual contest start be ok for the Character Art category?

I feel kinda bummed that I didn't wait to work on this excellent Jinx skin idea for this contest.

For the 3d characters, it has to be your concept, or something that exists in the game with your personal touch. Please do not use other people's concepts that you did not create or own. Even if they gave you permission. That would constitute teamwork which is against the rules as stated.
  • AdrenalineAngel
    Clarification about teamwork and timing:

Would a piece that is using someone else's concept that was started ever so recently before the actual contest start be ok for the Character Art category?

I feel kinda bummed that I didn't wait to work on this excellent Jinx skin idea for this contest.

I'm having the same problem. I JUST started a Jinx Illustration.

Unfortunately, you can not use someone else's concept. This would be in essence working as a team and it is also not OK to use someone else's concept without permission.
  • Domax
    hello! I know that in character art category you can make your own skin from your imagination. Is it the same case for illustration category? I apologize if the question have alreay been asked

Yes.
  • CaliCg
    Can i do a 3D illustration or 3D concept for the illustration category?
    So for the 3d character category if you need all baked in diffuse, the Highpoly model doesn´t need to much details?

The illustration category is a 2d specific category. The team's aesthetic is more towards painted illustrations but if you paint over your model and use that as a base, then sure.

The high poly model is used in order to get an AO that would then in turn be used to help with the base diffuse. If you feel that you don't need much high poly sculpt detail to get the final result then you can limit the details.
  • Dvolution
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    It's been made clear that we need to reference official concept art/illustrations for the character portion of this contest (unless we're making up a skin), but are we allowed to use the Chinese versions of splash illustrations for existing skins?

Sure.

Thanks!
  • Swordz
    "Create a unique animation imagining what the character’s ultimate ability or unique move would look like. The character may or may not jump in the air; it can involve a weapon or combo leg move, etc. It is really up to you but please remember: creativity is key."

Does it has to be related to the character's current ultimate? Can I create an entire new ultimate idea?

You can do either. Take an existing Ultimate animation or create something new that would have the impact of an ultimate move.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    If i have no intention of ever playing the game, can i donate any RP that i win (if i win) to someone who would actually use them?

+1
  • T25D
    Spheres and the background should remain un-textured

Does this include using a lights and a studio in my scene? It's not so much textured but it just makes it all look a little better.

Also, what about GI and AO and such?

Using GI, AO or scene lighting is allowed.
  • UltraLrod
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    For everyone who's doing the character modeling. Just remember this while looking at the character. Hopefully this helps you all out. It also has the ingame animation too.

http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=266&skin=0
  • awied18
    Another question was wondering if we can submit multiple entries for a category like I'm doing illustration so can I make multiple splasharts for multiple champions? Also can we make our own original skins for illustration?

Yes for both questions.
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    can we get some some closeup of these models? and skins? its hard to find some of them. I need Braum which i cannot find a good reference.

Unfortunately, we will not supply these types of reference sheets. You can check some of the champion reveals. They usually have some close ups of the champions.
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    In the animation category, can we add any kind of prop animations as well to the ultimate, or is there a limitation to what we may add? Like just for example the character throwing a bunch of daggers or something.

Thank you :)

That is fine.
  • Sephoki
    I am already working on a project that can fit into this contest. Am i able to use it or do i need to start fresh?

Start from scratch. We do not want unfair advantages.
  • Hikari+
    Hello!

I noticed that we need a Summoner Name and LOL account name to enter the contest because of the RP; does it need to be the NA/EU LoL account? I'm currently on the Garena server..

Cheers
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    Turista wrote: »
    can we get some some closeup of these models? and skins? its hard to find some of them. I need Braum which i cannot find a good reference.

Unfortunately, we will not supply these types of reference sheets. You can check some of the champion reveals. They usually have some close ups of the champions.

thanx! =] will check it out
  • IainL
    Are the character artists for example, allowed to mix match universes for skin ideas? aka Insert TV Show Here - Insert Champion Name Here? Or do the skin designs all have to be original? No mash ups?

Have fun with it. As long as you are following the rules then....
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Is a high poly model actually required for submission? Would I be able to just skip this step and just jump straight to my low poly and hand paint from there, since the high poly is only used for AO/base lighting.

We have just made the high poly sculpt optional in the contest details. A high poly sculpt is part of the pipeline internally. We are judging the final result so you can skip the high poly sculpt portion if you do not feel you need it.

Thanks for the response, Kenny <3
  • TelekineticFrog
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    First off this is an exciting competition.

Environment Discipline Question -

Inhibitors are the "capture points" and in the Summoner's Rift Update are the recessed holes going into the ground with a large crystal (blue or red) held by some fortified looking bracing/framework from my understanding. Is that correct? If so is it a design fundamental that these always appear as some form of crystal power source? I noticed that the crystal power source seems to also be present in the turret designs. Can it be something other than a crystal representing the colored power source? Also is there a preferred image to use when creating a final image of the assets for viewing it in 3/4 view in Summoners Rift Update environment? If so where can we find it?

Yes, that is what an inhibitor is. You can be creative here. We do not need to follow any solid rules on the design. Have fun with the design but make sure it is reading as some sort of structure that is a source of power. There is no preferred image. You can find one that would best fit your specific design.
  • SurvivorX
    For character modeling, it says we need a high poly "sculpt". Does it need to be sculpted, or can we model it using hard-surface methods without any sculpting?

You can sculpt, use hard surface methods or go right into creating the low poly model.
  • Zzacchi
    I'm sorry if someone already asked this, but how many entries can I make? Is there a limit of art I can submit? One per categorie?

No limit.
  • Zzacchi
    I'm sorry if someone already asked this, but is there a limit for submissions? One per categorie? Or as many as I want?

No limit.
  • ethwaites
    I started to work on a Fizz high poly model last week and it was still a WIP when the contest started. Is my model elligible for the contest?

Unfortunately, no.
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    For VFX: What if a large part of our effect is blocked by the sphere "character" in either front or side views? Should we turn the sphere visibility off for those shots?

The 3/4 view is what we will be judging. The front and side view is for us to see the effect from another angle.
  • xCubchoox
    May I ask if Malaysian can enter this competition? I want to try and have some experience from this competition.

Yes.
  • xCubchoox
    If I'm from Malaysia, can I enter this competition???

Yes.
  • Metanoiia
    it has to be made on computer? or it can be traditionally made?

I am assuming you are referring to the illustration category. Yes, you can use traditional methods.
  • spacebodi
    For Illustration , can i design a new champion from my imagine , or i have to design from champions in LoL

This is a fan art contest. There are 121 champions in LoL to choose from.
  • Endesong
    For the Illustration category, can we make a realistic 3D highpoly illustration? Like this example found on google : http://www.mrwallpaper.com/wallpapers/wukong-art-1440x900.jpg

You can use a model but the illustration section is a 2d category. You can paint over your 3d model to get the 2d feel.
  • spacebodi
    For Illustration , can i design a new champion from my imagination , or i have to design from champions/skin in LoL

This is a fan art contest. There are 121 champions in LoL to choose from.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding the VFX contest:

Am I allowed to use subtle animations for the spheres even thou the rules state

"The spheres should remain un-textured and should not move
    The effects should do all the acting in this piece"

Will I get disqualified if I add animations on the spheres?

Please do not animate the spheres. Let your effects do all the talking.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Environment wise, is there a particular side/color we are supposed to focus on or both? Like the turret from the blue side is different from the red side; do we pick red or blue or does the turret redesign have to work for both teams?

Either side is fine.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Please for the love of all that is holy,

Remember to also concept your ideas from the top down 3/4 view of the in game camera!

Yes. That is extremely important for when creating concepts, animation, models, etc. Always keep in mind how it would be seen from the game in order to determine where to put your details.
  • Dhairyasheel
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    can indians apply this contest ? if yes then can i use any free rig from internet to animate?
    Yes this is a global contest. You can use any rig you want.
This discussion has been closed.