Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xenomorph [WIP]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
Been out of the game for a few months, decided I needed some ZBrush practice so thought I'd attempt to sculpt a Xenomorph. I'm not sticking to any particular design, just picking bits from various different photos and putting my own spin on things.

lyd0.jpg

i658.jpg

ph95.jpg

1okh.jpg

k7a6.jpg

Replies

• Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers for the feedback, not quite sure what you mean about the mouth, could you expand on this?
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not Jet_Pilot but I have problems with the mouth area as well and I'll explain why.

When designing fantastical creatures, although it's tempting to just do whatever because the creature does not exist in real life, in actuality this doesn't work so well. Even with fantastical creatures, you want to keep in mind real life anatomy and use it as a springboard to exaggerate or modify. In your design, I'm seriously questioning the prominence of the horizontal lines that are going flush along the jaw. If you look at the original design, you can see very clearly that this thing can bite, and hard! In your redesign, the mouth area feels way weaker and overall makes the creature look less threatening and not like it can bite someone and do a lot of damage.

K8S6BLJ.jpg

Here's an image of the muscles that work the jaw. See how in the original design, the masseter is not only large but also segmented into multiple parts so that when the mouth opens you can see them stretch, letting you know that when those things snap back things aren't going to be good for you. Also, you can see how the temporalis area, albeit a bit vague, looks more rough like a muscle while yours looks more smooth. Overall I'd just warn you to think a bit about the function of the creature when designing or redesigning a creature and create the anatomy using real life as a springboard.

That being said, I'm not trying to be harsh. I think you have an excellent sense of how forms overlap and in general how to create excellent micro detail. I'd just keep in mind the broader design decisions that you are making. Good luck.
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback ChaosWWW I can see what you's are talking about now. I'll look into this more when I do some more work on it.