Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Posted ma spirit breaker flail.
    I don't think i'll upload my other stuff, i'm unhappy with them.
    Thanks !

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215392654
    flail_thumb.jpg
  • Endzeit
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
  • Plant
    Just finished this Juggernaut ward with Hinata for CNY, give us a vote if you like it!

Also how to add spring2014 tag? Not sure if I'm completely blind but I never saw a tick box or anything when uploading.

jbWq0LZ.gif

Clicky!
    elD0uFm.jpg
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    hey plant, this one is nice!
  • Prosomogy
  • Rik
    Anyone else unable to import SMDs since the last update? My previously working files now error out with some "::node error: node id 98 is defined" messages.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Endzeit wrote: »
    @vlad Here you go.
    Lots of wasted space. Mirror the blade and the lionhead. You can also add a lot more details like a guard or maybe something to spruce up the end of the weapon. Lionhead alone is not enough to make it interesting. You can also push out the blade shapes a bit too.
    NL8NxzA.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    always give moar space to objects with moar detail (especially if they're the most important part of the piece) - and ALWAYS mirror when possible :)
  • Dku
    Hey Guys,
    Hope I am ok posting this here but I am having a lot of trouble getting an item onto the workshop. I am trying to test an item so I have created a basic diffuse, normal and just used solid colors for all the _mask textures. I have tried multiple variations of the _mask color channels but I just can't get rid of this error I am having. I am exporting my model as an FBX from Maya 2013.

Is there something I am doing wrong?
    linaproblem.jpg

Thx Guys.
  • Farfarer
    Everyone's having this error, it's an issue with the Dota client. Apparently the Dota 2 Test client works for testing items.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm running into an animation issue in-game. The run animation for the wolf plays correctly in the workshop viewer but stutters in-game. This is on the test client btw. Any ideas what's going on? The rest of the animations seem to play correctly. (edit: this is for a custom animation set including a custom run)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4pqcc6wJA"]wolf stutter - YouTube[/ame]
    Thanks!
  • MagnoHusein
  • Plant
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    I'm running into an animation issue in-game. The run animation for the wolf plays correctly in the workshop viewer but stutters in-game. This is on the test client btw. Any ideas what's going on? The rest of the animations seem to play correctly. (edit: this is for a custom animation set including a custom run)
    wolf stutter - YouTube
    Thanks!

I vaguely remember running into a similar issue when doing a lycan ultimate, if I recall correctly it happened when I animated the root bone from the default one - (I used the same rig and animations, but when I tried tweaking the root bone to smooth it out it spazzed like that).
  • ponyplop
    Is mirroring UV's something done exclusively in the UV editor (maya) or would one model only the symmetrical parts of a model, uv them, mirror them, then continue to add new sets of topology for asymmetrical parts, along with UV's?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @Prosomogy Looking very nice, I enjoy all the horse themed items you guys did

@Plant Came out very very nice :thumbup:

@Noors Its like a Chinese bird house murder flail, I like it
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Everyone's having this error, it's an issue with the Dota client. Apparently the Dota 2 Test client works for testing items.

I have not had this issue in the main client with any of the items I have needed to test
    ponyplop wrote: »
    Is mirroring UV's something done exclusively in the UV editor (maya) or would one model only the symmetrical parts of a model, uv them, mirror them, then continue to add new sets of topology for asymmetrical parts, along with UV's?

You can really do either or both. Personally I find it easier to delete the geometry, that would be mirrored in the UV, before I unwrap. Then after unwrapping I symmetry the model and offset UV's as needed for baking.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Plant wrote: »
    I vaguely remember running into a similar issue when doing a lycan ultimate, if I recall correctly it happened when I animated the root bone from the default one - (I used the same rig and animations, but when I tried tweaking the root bone to smooth it out it spazzed like that).

Wow, thank you for the fast response. That fixed it!
  • Cyborgmatt
    Absoutely loving all the entries so far, just wanted to pop in and share some information with you guys and girls:

The Spring2014 Workshop tag has been fixed so you should now be able to browse the submissions properly.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=570&browsesort=trend&requiredtags%5B%5D=Spring2014

Also if you haven't already make sure you are tagging your item with this tag (there is an option to do this directly from inside the client too).

There was also another change that may have gone unnoticed in one of the previous patches, the armour slot for Storm Spirit has had the texture limitation increased to 512x512 so you might want to resubmit items for that slot.

And finally the Workshop page for Wraith King is still pointing to Skeleton King's assets however you can access Wraith King's files here:

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/wraith_king.zip

Keep up the good work. cyborgmatt_icon.png
  • ponyplop
    Thanks kite212!

Also, I'm having the texture problem in the importer too, very strange! (the textures were working 3 days ago, but alas, not at the moment.)
  • Plant
    Cyborgmatt wrote: »
    Also if you haven't already make sure you are tagging your item with this tag (there is an option to do this directly from inside the client too).

I must be blind - don't see any tagging option like the polycount contest when you upload / submit, and you can't modify tags of your imported items - the tags are set when you import them.

The only tags you can modify are collections?
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    The first item of the pack is ready to go! :)
    We had to import the .zip created by the test client but that's ok.

@Cyborgmatt: I must be really blind but I can't find the tag option anywhere in the client D:

oGlZFfL.jpg

Collection page:

usKT9n4.jpg
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    OniLolz wrote: »

I am not worthy. D:

Amazing job, seriously!
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5

Sweet jesus! Can't wait to see them all!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think it is safe to say that this workflow is basic F'ed...

FBX import> Max 2014> rig> Wallworm smd export> Dota 2
    (that's the only import option available and the only export available that even work for 2014)
    I also have issues with TF2 but can usually force something through. After days and days of dealing with this trying to make it work I got a brilliant idea (why didn't I think of it before... well I might be slightly dim).

Why not import the fbx from Valve and directly export it in game. The lovely thing about Dota is valve supplied the FBX with the rigged item (unlike TF2) so that removes guess work.

I exported the entire skeleton and the flap of kotl as this have cloth bones and an issue I was trying to work through (replacing this specific item).

This is their item that I have not touched other than import/export. Mines comes out better. I can attach a new hood to his head and hood bones and it works fine. Attach an item to spine = fine, and another bone like head/clavicle = NO WAY.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

@Cyborgmatt: I must be really blind but I can't find the tag option anywhere in the client D:

This pack is going to be an amazing addition to the game, great job guys. Yeah I am still only seeing a tag option for collections

Still coming together...

WingWip8.jpg
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Belkun and I have just finished this spear we've been working on. Now how do I tag this submission @_@?

380A22BD5620BF24EE1B42E81CC8594060E98595
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    DD's Everlasting Heat set for Lina by Prophet9 and Stefco

980632E9429FA452CA571B6C43963806D6C4D9A2

This set was commissioned by DD from team LGD.
    It was a long time in the works - my original Lina hair for the set was accepted for Wraith Night right in the middle of making the set to go with it. :)

So we had to come up with a new hair. It turned out well though.

Cheers all!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Baked down the head piece. Still need to do the swords and then paint all the textures.

naga_cny_002.jpg
  • Uliss
    And finally the Workshop page for Wraith King is still pointing to Skeleton King's assets however you can access Wraith King's files here:

cyborgmatt_icon.png

great news.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have any experience using custom particles in game? We've overwritten the stock particle with the systems named the same and used the -override_vpk command but in game the particles are all scaled wrong and fucked up. We think it might be a discrepancy between working on the particles in ASW engine and implementing them into Dota2. We tried opening the stock particles in ASW particle editor and saving them and even those got a bit fucked up when tested in game.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Waitaminute...how are people submitting items to the workshop without any problems?

After the last update, I've got the issue where the Workshop crashes back to Steam after I try and import anything, and thought that everybody had either some form of this, or the grey texture problem - but I see a few people have managed proper submissions in the last 2 days. Is there a fix going round that I'm unaware of?
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Cross-posting progress on my spring LC set.

Preview4.jpg
  • Farfarer
    kite212 wrote: »
    I have not had this issue in the main client with any of the items I have needed to test

Strange, I've had that with everything I've tried importing, even stuff that worked previously and I haven't touched the FBX files. Seems like there a good few other folk having the same issue.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    RULES OF NATURE
    KJQ0shP.jpg

Cross-posting progress on my spring LC set.

Preview4.jpg
    White%2BNoise%2BTherapy%2Bwhite_noise.jpg
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Absoutely loving all the entries so far, just

That's a hell of a good timing, thanks for sharing :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @ALL Maybe I am strange, but I also did not have any problems with importer, or maybe I am just lucky... Maybe verifying dota2 local files would help?

As a side note those guys pasting their links to CS GO weapons into DOTA2 workhop comments are just hilarious :p
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I made a quick test with my Luna test and it worked, maybe it's a thing with certain heroes.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    I made a quick test with my Luna test and it worked, maybe it's a thing with certain heroes.

I had thought this as well, but someone posted having this issue with Gyro items, and I have not seen this for any of my Gyro items, so I figure something else is the cause
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Waitaminute...how are people submitting items to the workshop without any problems?

After the last update, I've got the issue where the Workshop crashes back to Steam after I try and import anything, and thought that everybody had either some form of this, or the grey texture problem - but I see a few people have managed proper submissions in the last 2 days. Is there a fix going round that I'm unaware of?

Sorry, but I did not do anything special for my importer to work in the main client, it just simply works for me, and I truly feel bad for those that it is not working for
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Can one of you guys who is not having the texture issue maybe try it on Kunkka?
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    kite212 wrote: »
    I had thought this as well, but someone posted having this issue with Gyro items, and I have not seen this for any of my Gyro items, so I figure something else is the cause

Sorry, but I did not do anything special for my importer to work in the main client, it just simply works for me, and I truly feel bad for those that it is not working for

Well crap, whenever I try to import, Dota 2 crashes to desktop...:poly127:
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @MdK Just made a crazy test and it works hmm...
    Z3YgZBo.png
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    Z3YgZBo.png

Hmm that is weird...
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

working here too
    Test.jpg

Is there something in common that is shared between peoples that are not working? Like video cards? Maybe isolated to something like that, I have an all AMD system for example
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I have a Nvidia GTX 770 card, maybe were onto something.

Are you guys using handplane normals?
  • ponyplop
    good idea kite.
    I'm using an nvidia 660ti.
    My normals are just set to the base colour, i double checked my mask1 and mask2 for issues, it all follows the valve guide very closely. I did 95% of the texturing in photoshop, with a little adjustment in mudbox.

edit1:Installing the 332.21 driver now to see if that helps at all.

edit2:latest drivers installed. no luck :/
    p.s is everyone on source engine build 794, dota version 40? (top right once console is open)

edit3:gonna try to import it on my housemate's PC, which uses a 7770 AMD card.

edit4:same as with my nvidia card, looks like something else is the issue here =/

bb927b0063abfca600e0659b37f70e1b.png
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    MdK wrote: »
    Can one of you guys who is not having the texture issue maybe try it on Kunkka?

Yep- my crash is with Kunkka too. Jumping in on the vote for somebody who's successfully managed to import an item to try kunkka too.

EDIT- too late! Thanks for the tests guys.

I've got an ATI card and am getting the crash though. Just trying installing all windows updates and then a complete fresh install of DOTA2 to see if it fixes anything.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    I have a Nvidia GTX 770 card, maybe were onto something.

Are you guys using handplane normals?

I have actually used normals from handplane and ones baked straight from xNormal, either works just fine, I think the normals should only cause a crash (maybe) if it has an alpha channel
    ponyplop wrote: »
    good idea kite.
    I'm using an nvidia 660ti.

We may be onto something here... thats 2 nvidia cards with the issue, one amd without
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    I am on win8, gtx660 and its working fine. Did you guys tried to verify local files of dota2? Delete files from dota/models/items/kunkka/ and dota/materials/models/items/kunkka/. Something should help hmm. Maybe deleting dota and installing it one more time would help? Thing is that because I am now on mobile connection from a few months I only updated dota2 recently (now its fully updated) so maybe I missed somekind of update that screwed things up and never been reverted?
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Did anyone having this issue opened a thread in the dev forums yet? Maybe it haven't came to their attention yet.

It's obviously a patch related bug, reinstalling everything probably won't work, it's better to call their assistance as I'm sure it's on their best interests to have it solved.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    I am on win8, gtx660 and its working fine. Did you guys tried to verify local files of dota2? Delete files from dota/models/items/kunkka/ and dota/materials/models/items/kunkka/. Something should help hmm. Maybe deleting dota and installing it one more time would help? Thing is that because I am now on mobile connection from a few months I only updated dota2 recently (now its fully updated) so maybe I missed somekind of update that screwed things up and never been reverted?

I dont think uninstall/reinstall will help people with the issue. I am always online and get all the updates for the client, so there has to be some other connection to the updated importer and the users with the problem. hopefully Valve has been able to reproduce it on their side.

For the people with an actual crash of the client can you check your event viewer logs > applications and see if there is a log of the crash or anything else, like run-time errors around the time of the crash?
    Rubus wrote: »
    Did anyone having this issue opened a thread in the dev forums yet? Maybe it haven't came to their attention yet.
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=121544
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok something is weird here. Checked StudioCompiller (wanted decompile some masks from ingame) and somehow it is able to decompile models as always, but suddenly it stopped decompiling textures... from what I observed something happened with vtf2tga.exe which StudioCompilled uses for decompiling vtf to tga files. Probably what is happening with all those gray models is that exe responsible for opposite process also stopped working for those people... Coincidence... I don't think so :D Or I am doing something wrong here :D