Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[crits] school bus

yodude87
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
hello guys ^^

working on a school bus, and would like to have some crits from you all as regards both modelling and texturing.

the model hasnt been put in an engine so far, since i want it to be as good as possible before doing it. when im done with it all, ill throw it in cryengine and see how it looks ^^

these are the shots i have, both ortho and perspective. sorry for the jpg compression, if you guys want i can grab some better resolution shots later on :D

e2aHF.jpg
0Gvmc.jpg
sExMa.jpg
ZOnDl.jpg
avJp5.jpg
CdUBE.jpg

any kind of crit is welcome, mainly to what concerns texturing. the bus so far sits at 25k tris (total - inside, outisde and bottom), 2048 textures.

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    The model looks solid enough, but to be completely fair, it does look untextured. I guess it could pass as a brand new bus, though.

Start off by adding some subtle shading and highlights to it to pronounce the shapes better, and make sure to check out references to see how buses like these generally get weathered.
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good I agree with Disting materials need work, some parts of the bus look real like the license plate and stop sign while other parts look like their made of stickers.

On the front bumper there is some strange normal's going on, try plugging it into udk or marmoset, it might just be a max thing. Or flip the green channel.

Most school buses have multipul blind spot mirrors.
    If that is a bluebird add the bluebird logo?
    Side door is missing glass I think.
    Grill of the bus needs a second pass. I cant find any Google images that show a grill like that.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think model works , but I have to say it could have better specs, also maybe a way to break the yellow texture rust perhaps
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    The model seems all right man... a little bit bumpy in some of the parts... but looking the over all is ok...
    What you need to work more are details... all the single parts of a bus... and specially textures and materials...
    Look for references and check out how paint, glass, metals...etc works in real life and age...

Keep it up, you can get nice result out of it... the base is good, you need to polish details!
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Can you show us the UV maps? I'm curious how you laid out the UVs and optimized space.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    heya guys ^^

thanks for the crits, putting them to good use :) so far, this is the result ive got:

jus7n.jpg
    mVqte.jpg
    fLZmG.jpg
    aIxbi.jpg

about the uv space, im using a multimat (since this will be used in a cryengine project im part of), so they are 4 submaterials: hull, hood, seats + wheels, and misc:

hkYZ6.jpg
    163JS.jpg
    zFDeF.jpg
    wt4US.jpg

(the empty space that can be seen in the fourth submat is where the glass will be, ill be adding the diffuse, specular and an alpha for the dirt)

the bus will be used in cutscenes, and later optimized for in game use (but afaik crytek internal limit for vehicles during ce2 was 20k polies - 40k tris, if someone can get me updated on their internal limit with ce3 id appreciate it, just to have a guideline for how i should deal with the in game count).

thanks again for the crits so far, its been helping loads ^^ keep them coming :D

edit: about the grill, indeed i was thinking of adding on top of it some bars, like crossed: five horizontals, and three verticals. it would cost me only 50 tris at most, so its not that much of a hassle doing it, and would help the silhouette a lot...