Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Y_M

Replies

• Xeramon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naso wrote: »
    special theme? all they want is alternate looking weapons, themes or not.

Exactly man!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'm gunna go with the new loading mechanism in #2, that seems pretty popular with all the people I've shown.

I want to give it a really crystal clear firing mechanism since I was never really sure how the needlegun or blut operated.

Something like a mini-crossbow springs to mind instantly. maybe a little gas cylinder on the side.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I didn't start thinking of any theme, just wanted to make some replacements. I know they said cohesively themed items, I figured they meant you shouldn't make two items that look like they belong together and a third that is entirely different, like if I made a lead pipe to replace the bonesaw, that wouldn't be cohesively themed.

If there is any theme it would be "Heavy duty medicine"

What is strange about the glass part? (Yeah the backpack and medigun are separate, I hadn't even considered tying them together, needlessly limiting options!)
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps the medigun could be called the Gro
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Heavy Duty Medicine idea. Keep them all black and red/blue, and add some frightening looking canisters and wires, and it should work pretty well. Even if the models themselves don't have unique themes, the textures can make it or break it.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    schwaben-charger-9000-promo.png

Pretty happy with it as it is. I might come back to the texture later to sweat it further. Got an alpha channel in there too working on phong highlights and some selfillum on the barrel indents.

Yes I'm aware the texture size should be 512 not 1024 but I haven't submitted it yet =p.

The Medic is from Stuttgart in Swabia which is where his new charger gets its name.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the model a lot! but i hate the name ;-)
    it sounds like you only charge "Schwaben" (people from swabia) with it!
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can very easily cut the polycount of the end of the barrel by progressively merging edges together. The lower polycount will not be noticeable due to the fact the medigun always has a particle beam covering it. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you try and do that.
  • DamDam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice dude !
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it!

But i dont like the Name neither.

Do u have idea, what this "baby" is going to do. Maybe it could get his name from his skills?
  • supersandvich
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Been having a little bit of trouble with the materials for the liquid. Toning down the glass helps a lot. Now I just have to get the right balance between the two.

My progress:
    newglassnewliquid.JPG

It's got 3 bones at thirds around the outside then the top surface is split up and skinned to each depending on how close it is, so it waves rather than just bobs up and down. (yeah that means it's jiggleboned!)
    Rest of the model is embarrassingly high poly, some 2624 :( (my defence is that the rules say hats - 800 polys, weapons 8000 but makes no mention of misc items :P)

Unfortunately the headshrink for the eyelander is coded in so I couldn't jury rig some system to do it to the backpack, I'd need valve to.

Many suggest I make it fill up in relation to the ubercharge, I could but I'd need to mark the "top" some other way than the curved dome so that it didn't jiggle through it, which means more polys and more complexity than it may ultimately be worth.

Your opinions if you please.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I like it. It certainly looks like it fits the style of the default backpack, so that's a very good thing. I'd suggest adding a couple more cuts to the hose so it's a bit smoother.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    All progress grinds to a halt as the backpack refuses to take multiple skins. I've never ever had problems with multiple skins before or even props with multiple textures as well as skins, but this one just will not do anything right. It just leaves skin 2 as the first skin.

I'm getting desperate, I've tried everything I can think if to fix it and no dice :(
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    And the minute I post my desperation post it magically fixes itself.

It had got itself set as it's own model in the modelviewer so there was allways a skin1 version of itself in exactly the same place, blocking my view of the proper one.

Man these things can be so frustrating.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could use a very simplified mark as seen on measuring cups to show its level of charge.
    but jigglebones would be my prefered way aswell. (everything else would require even more coding on valves part)

my other feedback would be, to somehow route the hose differently.imho, it now loooks a little strange and throws the whole backpack out of balance. maybe you could add that strap just below the valve and have the hose do a u turn just before it plugs in. or even better, turn the block where the hose spawns towards the camera. that would reroute the hose "from the back to the side" and give it additional depth.

where do you plan to place the medics cross, if at all?

oh and i would very much like to play my favourite class with these items :))
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, source can be very bitchy about textures and mats! i always hated to restart everything just to see if that was the problem!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Scaled up a little vertically (too far? looks a little tall now) and added an extra edge loop into the hose, rudimentary 10 min texture. This one is a nice one to UVmap so seemingly large edits now isn't too much of a problem.

backpack-wip-2.JPG

The placement of the cross ok with you?

Here is a shot with it clipping into the existing backpack, the hose doesn't stick out much further from the centre than the original tank, and it's not visible from the front so I don't think balance is significantly impacted. It also looks less tall when it's on his back.
    backpack-wip-3.JPG
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    i'd say make the cross smaller, it looks so squashed.
    I'm aware on the second one its the original back clipping. but also on the top pic it looks too large. make it smaller and youre good to go :)
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good coloring so far! maybe you could make the flap at the far left a different color of grey (just like the top two cylinders of the original backpack)

i assume that is not the scaled version on the player, right?
    if not, it might be a little to high. maybe scale down on the glass again, because that had nicer proportions before.

are there any significant animation clipping issues with the hose and the medics arm?
    i'm thinking of stuff like the ubersaw-taunt.

and acumen is right. give the cross some space to breath. thats more important than the size of it.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and man, the glass thing looks bloody amazing. totally fits the tf2 theme. love it!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    They're the same size on his back and in the shot above it. The only clipping issue with the hose is the backstab and stun animations when the arms go flailing backwards, all other animations either juust brush it or don't touch it, so I'm not concerned by those two uncomon animations. The Ubersaw taunt is waaaay clear of it.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, then i don't think its to high!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I found a way to remove the existing backpack! It's on it's own texture right? Just replace it with a fully transparent texture and BAM it's gone.

backpack-wip-4.JPG

from afar:
    backpack-wip-5.JPG
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, nice hack.

i'm still not a big fan of that hose. are you completely happy with it?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the new medigun model, very nice work.

I don't think you should worry too much about it's name or functions.
    Worry only about the theme and the model, let Valve choose the name and function.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awsome, the back pack is a briliant idea
    a little suggestion on the healing gun,
    make the gun longer?
    cuz now, the handle, the trigger and the four thing that comes down look too crowed, just a bit longer( same length as the normal uber cannon will be fine)
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking what you have with the Medigun, but the Valve-like handles are a bit risky.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    fan"fricken"tastic! keep it up, I really like what I am seeing on this thread
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    may I suggest adding an Aesculapius's snake (the one on the rod) rolling up the whole medigun? That'd be badass :3
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    awsome, the back pack is a briliant idea
    a little suggestion on the healing gun,
    make the gun longer?
    cuz now, the handle, the trigger and the four thing that comes down look too crowed, just a bit longer( same length as the normal uber cannon will be fine)

I hear ya, it isn't a priority to me. There is still a month for me to change my mind though.
    Meower wrote: »
    may I suggest adding an Aesculapius's snake (the one on the rod) rolling up the whole medigun? That'd be badass :3

I don't think that would fit thematically with the medigun and I certainly can't afford the polys. But that is an excelent idea for a melee weapon! It shot right to the top of my list of favourites.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good man, you are making the backpack a separate unlock from the medigun? That's a different idea. Not sure how that will play out, but you could always submit it as part of the Medigun and do a melee and needlegun replacement instead.

I just had a neat thought!

What if you themed the melee unlock with the whole Caduceus Medical Snake and had a needle in it going to a formaldehyde bottle which was part of the blade with a dead snake in it that provided 'venom' to the weapon?

Basically a Bonesaw with a venomous snake preserved in a bottle attached to it. Good jiggle bone potential, too.

Some refs-
    snake-bottle.jpg
    scorpion_snake_wine_bottle.jpg
    snake.jpg
    snake.JPG
    MedicalSnake.gif

Your theme could be Dangerous Medicine and you could just make the medigun look more dangerous with some spikey tesla coil looking additions.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great Y_M the new medigun turned out really well.
    would you mid showing how you've got the liquid setup on the backpack, geo and textures?
    I've got something very similar goiing on here and just can't seem to get a good blend of
    colour and transperancy.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    looks great Y_M the new medigun turned out really well.
    would you mid showing how you've got the liquid setup on the backpack, geo and textures?
    I've got something very similar goiing on here and just can't seem to get a good blend of
    colour and transperancy.

The glass is a dark texture set to "$additive" "1" which does exactly what you think, adds its colour values to whatever is behind so it is always brighter. Then its got the same phong as the jarate jar glass.

The liquid has a very near white alpha channel on a dark red/blue and is set to "$translucent" "1" its got a strong envmap tint towards the colour of the liquid too. It also has pretty similar phong settings.

I was initially using the jarate glass' texture for the glass and could not get the liquid visible enough since the glass was always washing it out, the solution was to darken the glass a lot and rely heavily on the phong to make it visible.

@khthon very interesting stuff I'll investigate!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Y_M Glad you found it interesting! I really really want to see what you think up next! :cool:
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Spent a little bit of time today on the texture. Still needs rust and some point of visual interest on the left box.

backpack-wip-7.JPG

I'm still obsessively wiggling the model in hlmv to get the liquid to slosh :D
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks lovely, but for some reason the texture on the the gray tube looks weird to me. I liked it better when it was a solid color.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    yeh, me too. makes it too detailled and noisy from far away. too much attention seeking hose ;)
    red cross looks excellent with new size !
    your model viewer screenshots still suck ass considering their image quality - booohoo
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    That'd be the snipping tool's unchangeable default jpg quality.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you'll have a version of your Medigun without the backpack too?

In the case that Valve won't accept the idea of removing the old backpack to fit yours, or a Medigun that has a different backpack (as the kritzkrieg still uses the same backpack).

I do like your backpack, but it would be a shame if your entire medigun would be disqualified because of it.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Simski wrote: »
    I hope you'll have a version of your Medigun without the backpack too?

In the case that Valve won't accept the idea of removing the old backpack to fit yours, or a Medigun that has a different backpack (as the kritzkrieg still uses the same backpack).

I do like your backpack, but it would be a shame if your entire medigun would be disqualified because of it.

It isn't tied to the new medigun and it never was. I had always intended it to be used as a completely separate misc slot object. I'm pretty sure if valve want to tie it to the new medigun they have the ability to do it, so I'm gunna leave it separate.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    It isn't tied to the new medigun and it never was. I had always intended it to be used as a completely separate misc slot object. I'm pretty sure if valve want to tie it to the new medigun they have the ability to do it, so I'm gunna leave it separate.

Oh good, I misinterpreted you then.
    Carry on :3
  • randomteddybear
    Well looks like I'm going to have some competition. Nice job on the backpack and the medigun, they're really nice models
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh gosh, thank you! I love bringing up more and more idea :D
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I really like the idea of connecting this up to the backpack in the same manner the regular medigun is. Do you?

(3 and 4 included incase you forgot what they looked like)
    syringegun-thumbnails-2.jpg

I really must stop spending so long on this stuff in my revision breaks, I have an exam in eight hours!
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #8 with #7's top-left canister thing and #10's backpack hose.
  • Rogue Trooper
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I really like #4.

Any opinion on attaching it to the backpack with a hose?
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I don't think attaching the syringe gun to the backpack is necessary. I mean, why would the syringe gun need to be attached to the backpack?
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, the hose thing? I agree with the jerk.