Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jimmies

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
I'm making one because I could use a fuckload of feedback on my drawing.
I'm completely lost as of now, because I have more ideas than I can draw, etc etc blabhabhabhab
thygarbageman.png
photoshop diver guy
notdone.png
mspaint face

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I like the style you are developing.
    second one has bags of character. yuo should sketch a lot more and post more.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bs about style, deleted so I can look more intelligent
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think an arist should ever try to adopt someone else's style as their own. I think you should just draw and let your style develop on its own, although frankly, I dont like the idea of having a style. It seems limiting. It's all about what you're trying to accomplish with the piece you're working on.

so, umm, draw more. I'm likin your stuff.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg shut up and draw, me.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    these are really interesting characters, your using a really scratchy looking style thats quite hard on the eye, is this on purpose?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I dont usually try for it, but mspaint kinda makes it that way.
    Although, when I'm drawing with pen i'll sometimes go that route for some reason or another
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Hrm, why are you using mspaint? I mean, I can appreciate the impulse to simplify the process to focus on the basics, but I think you really need the ability to control line weight (a la photoshop) to really improve your drawing. Once I started paying attention to my line weight, my sketches got a lot cleaner and my lines started to take on all kinds of new dimensions. It was magical.

Mai too sense... anyway, I dig what you're throwin down so far. Would love to see more non-mspaint stuff though :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like your first doodle. the ocean guy. ithink it would give a nice low lowpoly char. :)
    ds style. have you considered making it?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg: I'm using mspaint because i've used it forever and it's simple.
    However, I have been using corel painter essentials recently, because i finally have enough memory on my hardrive so that It will work. (20 gigs free, as opposed to 500mb)

Bitmap: Yes, i love low poly and I should start to learn modelling. I specifically want to make little low poly games with cool lighting, like dynamic shadows n'shit, but still 128x128 texture maps, with low poly. So much cooler looking.
    Anyways, my friend here, Sarccasmm made a model of it, and I should try to get him to show it off in his sketchbook.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitmap: Yes, i love low poly and I should start to learn modelling. I specifically want to make little low poly games with cool lighting, like dynamic shadows n'shit, but still 128x128 texture maps, with low poly.

you have a lots of posts already,yet i havent seen any cool shit from you. if you are really serious about this shit you should start right away and not procrastinate.
    you should read this: http://poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/money_mouth.htm

anywho.. learn, do cool shit and then post.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Things to work on;
    Everything in general, refining my work, front view faces, hair (especially on forehead, etc)
    Different noses, bodies, anatomy, overcoming laziness (started drawing for at least an hour everyday after school, even if I hate it and it pisses me off at the moment)
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Jimmies_the_Squirrel I get in these little art slumps too where I hate everything I am working on too and I don't see my art going anywhere. You have to push through those crappy days. Maby try and focus on drawling a specific type of character instead of just drawling a bunch of characters. Look at references and some of your favorite artists or things that will get you pumped up to drawl. Try not to force the art from yourself just have fun. But while having fun set some sort of objective for your art piece you are currently working on. What do you want to achieve. If you have problems drawling eyes just drawl a sheet of eyes.
    On a further note analyze your artwork after you are finished drawling it and ask yourself why do you not like the way my art is turning out. Take a mental note for next time and adapt what you have learned for your next drawling. If you need reference material or some artwork from other artists to inspire you pm me and I will hook you up. Just tell me what you need or are looking for.

Keep your head up and keep sketching. Good luck!
    Sorry for the long read.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    the strategy that has worked best for me is to just set aside time for it. After work every day, I go straight to a coffee shop near my place, get a beverage, and sit down and draw for a couple of hours. I don't have any distractions there, and since I've gone there specifically to draw, it's easier to get motivated to do so.

Also, never wait for "inspiration". Draw another of the heads you always draw, if you have to. Draw a random shape and give it eyes and see where it goes. Just keep your hand moving... even if all you get is a bunch of lines and squiggles, it's worth it. You'll eventually get really used to having your hand moving around on the drawing pad... and things will just kinda form themselves.

Aaaaalso... sometimes you draw crap. That's fine. Some days I go through several pages of crap before I draw anything that I don't want to instantly throw away without anyone getting a chance to see it. Sometimes you have to warm up. Sometimes you can't warm up and all you draw is crap. Whats important is that you stay in the habit... and the pathways between your brain and your hand will get quicker and stronger, and you'll find you have to think less and less to make shapes.

Just force yourself... like starting a morning running routine or something. In the beginning, it takes a lot of will power to keep doing, but after a few weeks, it becomes a pretty natural habit, and you'll even miss doing it if you go a day or two without drawing. Set aside time, and just keep sending signals to your hand to move around. Sometimes you'll have an idea of what you want to draw, and sometimes it'll just draw itself.

Hope that helps. Drawing is fun.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you much.
    I do the random shape method all the time, and it can be kinda fun.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It__s_a_thing_by_Piespelunker.jpg
    I drew a quicky thing of the idea i've been working on.
    basically a little dude that lives in the refridgerator and is fighting a losing battle against the menacing food items.
    I'm basically thinking some really weird shit, kinda stupid if you think about it, but that's part of the idea

I need some help on the design tho, I was kinda thinking of giving him a thimble helmet.
    Basically he has a sewing needle for protection and because his little robey thing needs constant repair.
    I was thinking about having him wear a spool of thread on his back, or maybe a pin cushion with a lot of different little pins in it. Although...
    I'm not sure yet. I also need to find a way to attach arms to him in a way that they don't mess with the silhouette too much, as i'm going for a more sleek look.

Also, i'm thinking about working with clay stuff, maybe stop motion animation (used to mess with it a lot as a kid with bionicles) So i'd like to know what you'd reccomend for materials, such as types of clay, etc.

Thanks in advance
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanting to give up and die is part of the whole learning process, right?
    Right now i'm feeling completely sick of drawing, because no matter how much I try, it doesn't improve. I'd love to illustrate what I mean but I can't fucking scan anything because my scanner is possessed with some fucking demon shit
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup sure is. I feel the same way about my art too. You just have to keep going. Take a different learning approach than what you are now, that may help. My scanner leaves lines in the photo that I have to edit out. On the bright side it improves my photoshop skills.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your words have helped me a lot.
    It's true; You keep making yourself draw, and you just get used to it, and then It suddenly doesn't matter if all you manage to draw is steaming lumps of digital shit;
    It's entertaining, and a helluva way to keep yourself busy.
    Hell, when I get drawing all my real problems with it go away. (omgstyle)
    stickinthedark.jpg
    birdsamurai.jpg

I've found that drawing this way is a good way to get going, for some reason or another.
    It gets my head working better with drawing in mind.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that's ms paint, isn't it?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah.
    you should get used to photoshop. slrsy
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just let'em draw sheesh.
    All that matters is that something is learned from the process.

Although your learning process might not be as slow with a better program Jimmies. Fighting a program to get it to do what you want should not be part of the creative process.

If you decide to use Adobe Photoshop I will be glade to help you out and set you up with some tutorials if you need them.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hell, if I can get a brush set up like mspaint in photoshop, i'd be using it.

Pencil tool. any brush.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldguiy.jpg

In an absent minded after school stupor, I yet again forget that photoshop is good for drawing.

I think this took me all of 10 minutes
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, photoshop has some personal vendetta against my computer lately, and i will no longer be using it until this problem sorts itself out.
    Also, less bitching, more drawing. Yessir.
    frigespaceguy.png

a thing
  • curry23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, you should be learning from life not from other artists.
    Learning from other artists is limiting, as they only know so much themselves.
    The best way to improve is to draw from life.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, not to mention I just need to make the design more interesting in general, it's just too bland right now.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yours has more in common with batman than anything in that picture.

i think you're safe
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i started noticing more of a batman resemblance, thanks for reinforcing it so I don't have to worry about ripping off capcom.
    Still need a bit of input on the design, thinking about making that hole his mouth or something.
    Dunno.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys tell me where my tablet stuff is hidden, I promise I'll produce stuff more worth looking at! Please, you have to stop hiding these things from me!
    Nazistallioncrushingthepenisofthewo.jpg?t=1224566013
    :( I hate myself some days
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disregard this
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sddddddddddddd
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for quality, SAI+prntscrn+mspaint
    littleguy.png
    (though i painted it small to begin with)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making an elf;
    Next up dwarves, humans, cats, various others...(Guess what game i've been playing)
    I need to work on shading yet.
    Newcanvas.png
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaded, not done but considering it alright for now, and moving onto other things while they are still fresh in my mind, and before my mood spoils. Coming back to do more detailing later (maybe do more class specific things, generic elf, elf swordsman, elf hunter etc etc)
    Also i should probably give them arms that can be broken
    shadedelf.png
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwarves.png
    Dwarves, will go back and redo each one (with orthos) and go from there.
    not happy with miner or fisherdwarf
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cook dwarf FTW!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohmygodhorrible.png
    A failed attempt at a background.
    Was going to paint a cloudy sky but meh
    Crits, please?
    I seem to be on a salamander kick right now
    (i call him solomon, and he is a racecar driver...not really but he has a scarf)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ermm, have an issue here.
    As of now, I prefer my dwarfy and elfy things without arms, however it's kinda hard for them to hold things without them, but I think they look a lot better without them.
    Maybe it's just cause I suck at drawing arms sorta, but input please?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    That last one is great!! I like that lil cigarette with the curvy smoke line.

Try to keep the "3D" perspective feel like you did on the last sketch, it really made your character pop compared to your other sketches.

Try killing parallel lines, e.g. top and bottom lines of the scarf.....it should add to the perspective

Keep it up, I wanna see more :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message