Home Technical Talk

Mirroring texture in Mari?

When texturing a symmetrical creature like this in Mari, is it possible to paint half of it, and mirror it over to the other half, thus saving some time?

212a841f14b7d6e8eb69f891d70df507.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i doubt it... you can turn mirror painting on, paint in the parts you want symmetrical, and then turn mirroring off for the asymmetrical stuff.
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    If your UVs are symetrical and on the same patch, go to patch - mirror horrizontaly.
    If your uvs aren't symetrical or not on the same patch, you can try to set up a projector, unproject 1st to a PSD, save it as another PSD and project it back. This way you can mirror in Photoshop. You can set up multiple projectors. Then use TowBrush to fix anything bad happening if there is any (towbrush is like patch tool in PS, kinda).
    That's all I could think of on top of my head.
    I know you can copy paste from a patch to another, but I never tried to paste to another patch and then mirror it then mask what I didn't want to see...So let me know if you try =p
    Hope it helps.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, you gotta use the symmetry tool or just have overlapping uvs, if your intention is to have it completely mirrored.

I prefer to use the tow brush in UV view, then use the free transform and just grab the two side points and drag it over and do it by sight.

It sucks, but it's pretty much the only thing I've found that sucks about Mari so far.
  • Desperad0
    fr0gg1e wrote: »
    If your UVs are symetrical and on the same patch, go to patch - mirror horrizontaly.
    If your uvs aren't symetrical or not on the same patch, you can try to set up a projector, unproject 1st to a PSD, save it as another PSD and project it back. This way you can mirror in Photoshop. You can set up multiple projectors. Then use TowBrush to fix anything bad happening if there is any (towbrush is like patch tool in PS, kinda).
    That's all I could think of on top of my head.
    I know you can copy paste from a patch to another, but I never tried to paste to another patch and then mirror it then mask what I didn't want to see...So let me know if you try =p
    Hope it helps.

The entire character's UV of face, legs, arms are all 1 patch, and I think it is UV'ed symmetrically. So we select the entire patch that has the UV islands of everything, then right click, Patch, Mirror Right to Left, but nothing happened. Do we need to be on a certain channel? We're pretty new Mari users so sometimes the vocabularies are confusing...

Does symmetrical UV means there's gotta be a straight line going down the middle of the ... mesh? Same number of vertices and faces? And the faces need to be the same shapes?
  • Desperad0
    Towbrush seems to work for this purpose now, thank you everyone!

I saw in a tutorial where the instructor copied patterns over from right side armor to left side armor, and flipped it to be horizontally mirrored. But also haven't tried that personally... yet.
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    I am mapping in UVLayout a lot more now because it offers perfect symetry of UVs and yeah i think the middle of the udim is what Mari is looking for...
    If I paint on a layer on the left side and do the mirror patch thing it's working on my end. Unfortunatly it's not possible to mirror a whole channel.
    What you can do is create another group / folder, copy all your previous layers in it, paste them in the group then flatten / merge all the layers then use the mirror command while this layer is selected, then you erase / mask what you don't need if you need.
  • mindrot
    Offline / Send Message
    mindrot polycounter lvl 7
    A bit late to this but you can.

Select the patch you want to copy, then: Patches> Mirror > then select which side you want to mirror from (Left to Right, Right to Left, etc.). Of course your UVs need to be symmetrical for this to work properly.

I've been using this at work.