• I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    a little update, just flats right now
    updatek.jpg
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Just noticed this awesome competition. Excellent idea Tvidotto.
    I won't be able to join in and do something this time but the next one I am in.
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    some update
    1V3Jr
    *just color map

barely managed to make LOD0 - 2498 (largest thing I've made so far)
    added some basic colors , just testing how it looks with tiger stripes and some stuff
    saddle looks like shit at the moment , but that's okay xD
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    How's it look in game?

I'm interested if the stripes make her overall appearance too noisy?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I'd say you might want to add the stripes to the front of the body and either completely remove the stripes on the back legs or make them really light so that you only notice them in the loadout screen just because in-game you want the focus to be at the front of the mount.

I had a similar issue with the spines of my dragon, they were initially dark purple across the whole body and it looked really busy so I had to make the back spines white/silver.

The mount is looking fantastic though, I can't wait to see it in-game. You might want to make the fangs darker though, they kind of blend in to the rest of the body.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    crazyone wrote: »
    some update
    1V3Jr
    *just color map

barely managed to make LOD0 - 2498 (largest thing I've made so far)
    added some basic colors , just testing how it looks with tiger stripes and some stuff
    saddle looks like shit at the moment , but that's okay xD

This is simply awesome, what can be cooler than a white tiger/lion hybrid? :)

I hope the fur translates well in-game.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    This is simply awesome, what can be cooler than a white tiger/lion hybrid? :).
    ligerej9.jpg
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say you might want to add the stripes to the front of the body and either completely remove the stripes on the back legs or make them really light so that you only notice them in the loadout screen just because in-game you want the focus to be at the front of the mount.

I had a similar issue with the spines of my dragon, they were initially dark purple across the whole body and it looked really busy so I had to make the back spines white/silver.

The mount is looking fantastic though, I can't wait to see it in-game. You might want to make the fangs darker though, they kind of blend in to the rest of the body.
    yeah I was just testing how it looks and finding a better way to add those stripes , it looks okay in the game , going to add full body stripes in black and white as separate color layer and combine them later in photoshop for better quality
  • PoPcorn
    T_Vidotto He is so adorable - can't wait to see you make him waddle :D
    Fanatik I think I like the wolf concept better although the cat might suit her more, not sure!
    crazyone Looks sick, can't wait to see more from you.

Here's my current progress - 2500 triangles exactly, love when that happens. Boy was it a bitch getting it down past 1500 for the LoD1, though. Threw down some basic colours just to get a feel of it.
    ukHLeLS.png

Also, gave it a quick rig just to see what it looks like in-game :D
    EA26U9n.png

I personally Love the way this is looking.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    OMG guys, you are rocking! =]

Bronto and crazy one, your mounts are amazing!

@Pina, the idea wasnt mine, anuxi game the first step on it and some guys liked the idea. We decided to continue with the project and everything is beeing decided on the forum

the contest is open to everyone and any idea is really welcome =]

join us!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, i want to discuss two things

1 - what if we add a newcomer category "prize"? just for guys that never submitted anything to the workshop
    i think that could encourage people to enter the contest =]

2- "prizes" do you guys have any idea of prize? i was thinking on trying some "sponsor" to give some dota itens to the winners
    we have a lot of traders on the dota, i think someone would like to be have his name attached as the "sponsor of the full set prize" and give a mythical item or a courier to the winner
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Guys, i want to discuss two things

1 - what if we add a newcomer category "prize"? just for guys that never submitted anything to the workshop
    i think that could encourage people to enter the contest =]

2- "prizes" do you guys have any idea of prize? i was thinking on trying some "sponsor" to give some dota itens to the winners
    we have a lot of traders on the dota, i think someone would like to be have his name attached as the "sponsor of the full set prize" and give a mythical item or a courier to the winner

Does having submitted two crummy TF2 items years ago disqualify me from point 1? :P

Point 2 is a nice idea, but I don't see it working if we're doing this monthly.

I don't think prizes are even required, just the amount of attention the winner will get is enough, imo.

PS: Your spirit bear seems to have caused a bit of discussion on the dev forums. I had a few laughs out of that thread.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the guys at Dota2traders.com helped out Cyborgmatt with some loot when he did his one year anniversary give-a-way. We could potentially organise something with them? The sponsor idea is also a cool one, that could definitely be considered a worthwhile title to have for someone. I think it would help if we took a step back and thought about how this is structured because at the moment it seems to be something like this;
    1. Polycounters pick a selection of heroes (10 or so) based off a certain criteria (heroes recently added to the Workshop, popular heroes, ugly heroes, pretty heroes, etc. etc.)
    2. A poll is submitted to Reddit who then SWARM the poll and pick a winner (24 hours of voting time).
    3. A month passes and we all make awesome stuff
      This is the part where I'm making it up and essentially thinking out loud
    4. I say we have two categories; Sets and Single Items (includes wards, couriers, standalone equipment/mounts). Two separate polls are created and posted on Reddit for them to vote on. I think the "Newcomer" category is a cool idea however I think it might be something that we do over on this end of the Internet, we get the "veterans" (for lack of a better word) to choose who the best newcomer is.
    5. Votes are tallied (maybe 48 hours for this one) and the winners are announced and potentially given a prize each (maybe a set of their choice for the winner of best set and an item of their choice for best item?)
    6. WE DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE WE'RE CRAZY!

In other news, I'm gearing up to finish this guy, textures are about 90% there and there's a couple of quirks with the rigging PRO-TIP, USE THE SOURCE MOUNT AS AN ALMOST 1:1 GUIDE FOR THE TOPOLOGY OF THE FRONT LEGS, THE ANIMATIONS DO SOME FUNKY STUFF OTHERWISE *ahem* but yeah, looking forward to working on some armour soon :)
    iyO4rlU.png
    yRYltNs.png
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »

PS: Your spirit bear seems to have caused a bit of discussion on the dev forums. I had a few laughs out of that thread.

like the guy asking to delete the panda with the complete set on the inventory? hahaha

or the guys with just one post and accounts created on the same day of the post?

i think i made some trader angry or maybe they think it can be a good possibility of getting a rare item and sell it for 500 dollars like the ursa set is worth now

i never heard anyone complaining in game about the panda, even admiral bulldog from the team notidehunter is playing with the panda on pubgames with the name "pandaman"

i was upset on the beggining of that post but some people explained me those traders techiques...
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the guys at Dota2traders.com helped out Cyborgmatt with some loot when he did his one year anniversary give-a-way. We could potentially organise something with them? The sponsor idea is also a cool one, that could definitely be considered a worthwhile title to have for someone. I think it would help if we took a step back and thought about how this is structured because at the moment it seems to be something like this;
    1. Polycounters pick a selection of heroes (10 or so) based off a certain criteria (heroes recently added to the Workshop, popular heroes, ugly heroes, pretty heroes, etc. etc.)
    2. A poll is submitted to Reddit who then SWARM the poll and pick a winner (24 hours of voting time).
    3. A month passes and we all make awesome stuff
      This is the part where I'm making it up and essentially thinking out loud
    4. I say we have two categories; Sets and Single Items (includes wards, couriers, standalone equipment/mounts). Two separate polls are created and posted on Reddit for them to vote on. I think the "Newcomer" category is a cool idea however I think it might be something that we do over on this end of the Internet, we get the "veterans" (for lack of a better word) to choose who the best newcomer is.
    5. Votes are tallied (maybe 48 hours for this one) and the winners are announced and potentially given a prize each (maybe a set of their choice for the winner of best set and an item of their choice for best item?)
    6. WE DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE WE'RE CRAZY!

so the idea is having 2 prizes and the veterans give a third one for the newcomer?
  • brojomaan
    @ Bronto that sounds like a really good idea to me! i like the idea of a newcomer award :)

A little update on my sabre tooth cat

what do you guys think of him? just blocked him out in zbrush with some of the little medium sized details on him

TbzOlQy.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    @ Bronto that sounds like a really good idea to me! i like the idea of a newcomer award :)

A little update on my sabre tooth cat

what do you guys think of him? just blocked him out in zbrush with some of the little medium sized details on him

TbzOlQy.jpg

just the head seams a little small

this may help
    Lion_anatomy_lateral_skeleton_view.jpg
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Elefant leap:
    an event so powerfull it would rip appart core fabrics of space time continuum :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    update on the pengowl or owlguin =]

1Vuaz

thanks for Nannou and Daniden for some suggestions. Im still working on some proportions and textres but im pretty happy with the result for now
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    EEE! I love his face xD

Dont forget to add tiny feathers on the tips of his flippers :3

Also I don't think there needs to be prizes really. Just finishing is prize enough (for me anyway)
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    1VzQ0.jpg
    finished texturing , all is left : LOD1 , skin and the rest of the set :D
  • brojomaan
    crazyone wrote: »
    1VzQ0.jpg
    finished texturing , all is left : LOD1 , skin and the rest of the set :D

Ohh. I wish i had your talent. Inspirational!
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I don't want to bother anyone here but seeing that much content for just one hero really makes me sad. I know the idea was to improve your skills in a mildly competitive environment and it's with only good intent, but most of you are already pros and I don't believe you need this kind of exercise. Most probably, only one of these awesome mounts will get in game while the others will have to wait at least three months for their turn (and this is the best case scenario). Why do I think that? Because Valve is treating summons with care, most of the summons are mythical and this means they don't intend to add many summons frequently. Take a look at the sets they added recently, they are clearly trying to make the heroes with less items get more.

This means: the more items a hero has, the less valuable they become!

PS: I don't intend to do any Mirana items in the near future, so it's not personal (..yet. lol). I'm upset to see the amount of effort that will go to waste. Maybe find some more productive concept for the next month's competition? Sorry if I offended anyone here.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    That sounds like quitter to me look at me, i'm being horribly outclassed but i'm still going for it. Plus waiting is good for you, good things come to those who wait. Do the best you can

Ps: Is it ok if I use Mirana's mount as a base mesh for my own?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »

Ps: Is it ok if I use Mirana's mount as a base mesh for my own?

i think there isnt any problems with that, you can load it on zbrush and start a dynamesh, i did that with the panda just to get the right proportions and they are a lot different from each other

I don't want to bother anyone here but seeing that much content for just one hero really makes me sad. I know the idea was to improve your skills in a mildly competitive environment and it's with only good intent, but most of you are already pros and I don't believe you need this kind of exercise. Most probably, only one of these awesome mounts will get in game while the others will have to wait at least three months for their turn (and this is the best case scenario). Why do I think that? Because Valve is treating summons with care, most of the summons are mythical and this means they don't intend to add many summons frequently. Take a look at the sets they added recently, they are clearly trying to make the heroes with less items get more.

This means: the more items a hero has, the less valuable they become!

PS: I don't intend to do any Mirana items in the near future, so it's not personal (..yet. lol). I'm upset to see the amount of effort that will go to waste. Maybe find some more productive concept for the next month's competition? Sorry if I offended anyone here.

dont worry man, you have your right to express yourself

i will try to give my opnion on each subject

- most of us are pros and dont need this kind of exercise
    i dont think that way, even those guys that are really good here sometimes need a good reference of model or color scheme. As we are all working with the same hero, one good choice could benefit everyone and one critique could help more then one person

- "only one of these awesome mounts will get in game while the others will have to wait at least three months for their turn"
    we dont know that, valve surprises us with every update

- "most of the summons are mythical and this means they don't intend to add many summons frequently"

imho is not the number, its quality. the summons need a greater quality that common itens to enter in game and receive the mythical label. and they need a greater effort to be made, so there isnt much on the workshop

-"the more items a hero has, the less valuable they become! "
    what you said makes sense, its like, "oh no, another axe´s axe..."
    but personally i dont care if my drake with a frostivus effect on it worth 40 or 60 keys (i just want one! =] )

- "Maybe find some more productive concept for the next month's competition? Sorry if I offended anyone here"

dont worry =]
    and what you mean by concept? a new hero or you really meant a concept?
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    and what you mean by concept? a new hero or you really meant a concept?

No, what I meant was to change the contest rules. This month's contest was about making -anything- for one hero; Mirana. For example it could be for any hero, or as Valve did, for a select number of heroes. They wanted to see more sets for the heroes that didn't have one; so they cut Juggernaut, Axe, Tide and some others out. Mirana is just introduced recently to the workshop so she doesn't have any items yet, but keeping the scope of the contest to only one hero imho will cause the problems I mentioned earlier.
  • brojomaan
    No, what I meant was to change the contest rules. This month's contest was about making -anything- for one hero; Mirana. For example it could be for any hero, or as Valve did, for a select number of heroes. They wanted to see more sets for the heroes that didn't have one; so they cut Juggernaut, Axe, Tide and some others out. Mirana is just introduced recently to the workshop so she doesn't have any items yet, but keeping the scope of the contest to only one hero imho will cause the problems I mentioned earlier.

In my opinion i like it for one hero, it means when creating my sabre tooth cat i've had these guys help me. i've seen what they are making and how it differs from theirs.

Id say the way this competition is working out works for me
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I think the meaning of this competition is to get practise and push each other to finish a product and be more productive. You should always try and hang around with more skilled people than yourself to improve faster. One suggestion i have though is to open for more heroes each month. Maybe vote for two heroes, or one support, carry and tank/initiater.
  • brojomaan

In my opinion i like it for one hero, it means when creating my sabre tooth cat i've had these guys help me. i've seen what they are making and how it differs from theirs.

Id say the way this competition is working out works for me
  • Some Jerk
    I like the contest focusing on just one hero. Makes sure that a hero who might not get much love otherwise gets a bunch of great sets.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Nannou wrote: »
    I think the meaning of this competition is to get practise and push each other to finish a product and be more productive. You should always try and hang around with more skilled people than yourself to improve faster. One suggestion i have though is to open for more heroes each month. Maybe vote for two heroes, or one support, carry and tank/initiater.

Maybe have one that is focused on heroes that don't have any cosmetic items for them at all, there are so many heroes that don't get any love. Have two votes. One for the least worked on the hero, and another vote for the popular choice. For the "Least worked on" hero, we can create a list of the ten least worked on heroes. For the popular vote, take every hero available in the in game compiler and make a massive vote to post on reddit. Heroes that have previously won a vote in the past can't be chosen. Mirana is out FOREVER. I personally feel the most amount of heroes that can be worked in a given month is two, no more then that. :)

That is one problem I see with the contest, which I guess is expected, but me personally, get bored with working with the same hero, I'll just to another then back to keep the ideas fresh, besides not having any interest in the character. Ignoring the fact I'm juggling a few projects, I don't find Mirana very interesting, and didn't really find myself getting involved.

I do think there needs to be a few levels as stated in earlier posts, we aren't all on the same skill level and some sets will blow others out of the water, this might discourage people competing against them. If there were a few levels, say the newcomers, could have someone who they can ask for advice and assistance, they wouldn't be competing against the veterans, but against fellow newcomers, the challenge would be on their level and thus be less discouraging and more enjoyable.

You can't argue that the work that has been produced as a result of this contest is phenomenal, but there needs to be some changes as we continue this, which I see no reason not to. That's just my take on it.

I also propose "courier's only month!" at some point. Just because. haha, just kidding.

Keep on keeping on!
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to participate cause I'm to lazy to finish my warlock golem :D
    and making something that has more that 500 tris is better to get some experience))
    Skinning is really pain in the ass , so I'l be making other parts of the set for now )
    bow
    1VUwa.jpg
    I have no idea how it's going to look with only 300 tris but I like shiny stuff xD
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    When does the deadline end exactly? I still haven't done anything besides finalizing the head piece design :P
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    When does the deadline end exactly? I still haven't done anything besides finalizing the head piece design :P

last day of the month =]

----

update

im trying some colors over zbrush

1VW1B
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    last day of the month =]

So it ends yesterday? xD

Oooooook... I'm not doing the head piece. I'll have to modify the design because Mirana doesn't have the bones to support it.
    I should have really checked her bones before I started drawing stuff :/
  • Velktri
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    It ends at the end of February I believe. Atleast that's what it says in the first post.
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri wrote: »
    It ends at the end of February I believe. Atleast that's what it says in the first post.

My bad. I forgot about that :\
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    So much awesome in this thread already and the month has only just starterd,

Tvidotto - really like how your couriers looking, the in game shots have me sold on the entire idea.

Crazyone - solid design!
  • Wolph
    Had some time to work on the mount, I decided to go with the wolf concept, here's lod1 at 1500 exactly, just normal map so far (needs adjusting).
    Hes fully rigged and animations are smooth, should be finishing up tomorrow.
    Amazing work guys, cant wait to see more!
    rzyCu8g.jpg
  • brojomaan
    Awesome work tvidotto and wolph! I really like both items

Any chance we could see a high poly version of the wolf?

Is the armour on the front different geometry or is it a part of the wolf?
  • Wolph
    Here's a pic of the high poly from Zbrush.
    The armor was modeled separately in zbrush and then merged onto the wolf before retopology.
    1wYeE0b.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man I love this community, so much amazing stuff. Crazyone, Wolph, T_Vidotto - keep it up!

I've just finished my mount so it's time to start concepting some armour!
  • Paskie
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Looking great everyone!!

Just starting with the details, i'm only working on this set on during the weekends. So many items and so little time ^^
    But anyway, i need some advice. Should i go with a more "frosty" design like the first or go with the more natural approach? I'm afraid that the one with frost/ice design will be too cluttered.

JffmvDc.jpg
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Looking great everyone!!

Just starting with the details, i'm only working on this set on during the weekends. So many items and so little time ^^
    But anyway, i need some advice. Should i go with a more "frosty" design like the first or go with the more natural approach? I'm afraid that the one with frost/ice design will be too cluttered.

JffmvDc.jpg
    hard to tell , try both ) I'l probably will upload 2 types of maunts (with and without the stripes) btw you may have problems later with animation , because the cloth is located directly on the leg (he lifts it too high and weird stuff can happen)
    1WArh
    I have some weird sh*t with my liger too cause his front legs are too early connected to the body but that's fixable

1WA88
    progress goes slowly.. but I'l finish the set by the end of february :D
  • Paskie
    Aha! Thx for the heads up!
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! How could I miss it! Great idea, guys. But I think there will be too much Mirana in the workshop) I am also working with this character now. Will try to make something before deadline.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap wrote: »
    Wow! How could I miss it! Great idea, guys. But I think there will be too much Mirana in the workshop) I am also working with this character now. Will try to make something before deadline.

1 month to finish it! go go go!

and welcome =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    xuvcKwB.png
    Been doodling some concepts for the rest of my Mirana set. "Dragon Priestess" is the theme.
    EDIT:
    Here's an awesome paintover my girlfriend did:
    qEmFkoI.jpg
  • zicoV
    So i'm finally up and running again after my hdd died last weekend :(
    which also meant i lost everything i had on mirana so far so i'm starting from strach.

miranaarmorwip01.jpg

I hanv't drawn anything on the mount yet but i like this image and i think i'm gonna try to replicate something like this.

White_lion_mount_war_lion_high_elf_lord_hero.jpg

Still need to come up with a bow and quiver design..
    Whats the deadline on this again ? :)