Home Technical Talk

modo fps rigging question ? anyone?

NBLM
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
NBLM polycounter lvl 13
Does anyone know a way to mirror a rigged arm in modo?

I mirrored the skeleton, and the mesh and renamed everything.
But somehow I find no way to unbind the left arm from the right skeleton.

So that I can then bind the left arm mesh to the left skeleton with the premade weights.
5XAnojE.jpg
?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You probably want a root node that joins the two arms, rather than having two separate skeletons for the arms.

Then bind the mesh to the whole skeleton.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Right, I've forgot that root node .

With the root node in place do I have to redo all the weighting again or can I preserve it somehow?

And generally is it better to have the left and right arm respectively in one mesh item or both arms in the same mesh item? (I'm new to rigging)

thx for your help
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I've found success with the right arm and left arm as on Mesh item.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Booth arms connected to a root joint. It will make things a lot easier for the coders.
    You will need a Forearm twist joint, trust me.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    necro post

I rigged and animated a few mechanical models in modo meanwhile and learned a lot about modo's rigging tools. So I thought I give the fps rig another try. I rebuilt it with a twist bone, IK-FK blend and fancy finger controls to bend them all at once or separate.

But in the end modo don't let me export the animations. I can play them inside modo but it only exports the mesh with a <frame number> long empty animation.

I already checked my fbx settings and I also tried to bake all channels and then export but that does not help :(

Edit: I've got it fixed, works perfectly now.