Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio feedback Environment Art

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
I am looking for some feedback regarding my work. I have been searching for a job and have not had any luck so far. My site is at. http://sethwolford.com/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Portfolio:
    -Your site loads really slow for me, and for comparison I loaded another portfolio that is on the front page and it loaded almost a minute faster.

-The heading on your website is ugly and looks like it was made in MS paint, and that blue to black gradient is not helping either. Presentation of your work is just as important as the actual work itself.

-I think you have to much work to navigate through, and a really wide range of quality. Narrow it down to your best few pieces and props.

Art Work:
    -All your environments suffer from the same problems. They all have a lot of noise in them, lack a focal point, flat lighting, and boring compositions. If I dig through your portfolio I can see that you have some nicely textured individual assets, but none of your environments show that off at all.

-When I look at the Water Scene it looks like you uniquely unwrapped and textured each building as one single model and texture. You should really be using modular design, tileable textures, and vertex painting to create those type of assets. You have to be able to reuse assets in an environment and not one off each one.

Hope that helps a little bit.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Bardler thanks for the feedback! I will definitely go back and edit some. I had been thinking that I need to narrow down my work.
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    The artist that did the concept for your first piece is Vladimir Manyuhin. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    What BARDLER said and plus

+ for me your thumbnails look messy, try to make your thumbnails equal size

+ Why vertical spacing but not horizontal ? Use grid.

+ one tip for a faster loading; use the actual small size images for thumbnails because if you used large images and use HTML to resize it, the browser actually have to download the large one before it resize to thumbnail size

hope it help.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You could reduce the image size by half if you use a little bit more of jpg compression. So your site loads faster. You could even link an uncompressed png version onto the compressed jpg.

Like Nam.Nguyen said I would also go for an equal spacing, or even no spacing between the thumbnails.

There is no need to use "gif" images in your header just to get the transparency. Every actual browser supports png images natively.