Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    First off, thank you so much to everyone at Quixel. I am really loving these tools, keep it up!

Next, a co-worker of mine ran into an issue where, if the below two settings are turned off in the Photoshop preferences, then DDO would give him layer errors when he tried to create his project. After all of those errors, DDO seemed to work, but his 3DO C+Shift+Click ID material assignment also did not work.

mtbgJF6.jpg

We turned those two setting back on, and everything worked fine for him. I have tried to recreate the same issue on my computer without success, but I know that he personally really likes working with those preference turned off. Don't know if that could be fixed in the future.

We would also love to have the ability to rotate Texture maps inside of Dynamask. Just as with some previous posts about directional effects, we would like to be able to rotate or pan texture masks so that certain details can be moved to different areas. If that makes sense...

Anyway thank you for all of your help!
  • Polynaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    Two questions:
    I've bought DDo2 at the beginning of the year (I think) - shortly thereafter you announced the Suite and made DDo free to download. Am I getting access to the SUITE now or is that just considered as bad luck for me?

Will you have DDo detect brush strokes that go over a seam and wrap that stroke around to the connecting uv island?

Thx for reading :)
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @PolyNaught, if you already own DDO pre QS when the suit is released you will get access to ddo and 3do in it, but not ndo unless you already own that was well.

The license carries over
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    Whenever I apply a smart material/material it loads up everything fine, applies it on the diffuse, ao, specular, etc.... It also applies on my mesh in 3DO and I can see how the smart material affected the textures but for the love of god I cant seem to actually edit it because the automation hub ( I dont know what its called now ) is empty. Heres a picture showing what im talking about.

xys2daZ.jpg

Been waiting a while with no answer. Hopefully somebody can get back to me soon
  • nyx702
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Hi guys what is the most efficient series of button presses to export all maps?

Yea I was getting this too. I can't remember what I did to fix it because I tried multiple things at once. I believe it was because I had multiple UV channels?
  • Polynaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    passerby wrote: »
    @PolyNaught, if you already own DDO pre QS when the suit is released you will get access to ddo and 3do in it, but not ndo unless you already own that was well.

The license carries over

Oh great. And do you happen to know if I could upgrade my licence to include NDO with the Suit as well? Sorry if that's been asked before... hell, I can't even remember if I did ask that question a while back...
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Has someone tried to do tileable textures with the quixel suite? (Like dirt, grass and so on)
    I'm always getting seams... for the normal and diffuse and everything after I imported it into DDO. I'm frustrated!
    It's a small (a few pixels, like 3-4 I guess) seam along all edges of the image...
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Has someone tried to do tileable textures with the quixel suite? (Like dirt, grass and so on)
    I'm always getting seams... for the normal and diffuse and everything after I imported it into DDO. I'm frustrated!
    It's a small (a few pixels, like 3-4 I guess) seam along all edges of the image...
    Quixel suite doesnt support tilable textures yet, although i can't imagine it being too difficult to manually fix the seam errors inside of photoshop.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Quixel suite doesnt support tilable textures yet, although i can't imagine it being too difficult to manually fix the seam errors inside of photoshop.

Ah, ok. Didn't know that. Thank you!
    And yes you could remove those seams, but it's annoying, since you would have to wait until you're kinda finished so you can fuse all layers so you can use the offset filter (so you don't have to offset every single layer...) And afterwards you can't change single layers anymore.
    So I guess I'll have to wait.
  • DarkEdge
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkEdge polycounter lvl 10

I am not trying to be argumentative, I'm just asking and possibly I am understanding this wrong.
    Quixel suite allows you to make the pattern bigger or smaller, right? So if you make the pattern smaller then it is tiling, right? I ask because I used the galvanized metal pattern and brought the size down and it looked very repetitive, I would almost say it looked grossly repetitive. I would hope that the patterns could be broken up a bit more.
  • DarkEdge
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, has anyone tried to use that upside-down cow texture yet? Just for shiggles I used it and it blew apart my model...almost like it hyper-displaced the polys. Is it supposed to be that way? Is it my model that is screwed up?
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkEdge wrote: »
    I am not trying to be argumentative, I'm just asking and possibly I am understanding this wrong.
    Quixel suite allows you to make the pattern bigger or smaller, right? So if you make the pattern smaller then it is tiling, right? I ask because I used the galvanized metal pattern and brought the size down and it looked very repetitive, I would almost say it looked grossly repetitive. I would hope that the patterns could be broken up a bit more.

Technically this is true but trying to apply this method on a uv map that does NOT consist of a single island that forms a perfects square, chances are you will not be able to seamlessly tile thing, but yes in theory DDO does use tilable textures. I'm sorry if that sounded confusing as I'm pretty sleepy.
  • Seto
    Offline / Send Message
    Seto polycounter lvl 2
    I've found why it always ask me for the photoshop location. Maybe it's because of my PS startup time more than 10 seconds.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys I wonder if you can help. I have two problems when using the suite, although bar those it's awesome!

The first was that although when importing a mesh and colour map it asked me for all my colours and to pick materials for them, when I then went to export that all in to a DDO file to view it only seemed to bring in about 4 or 5 of those colours and then stop. That meant that I had to build the rest by hand which took ages. Was I doing something wrong? Do I need to separate out my colours a bit better?

The next problem was that randomly after making quite a few materials the albedo layer stack seemed to minimise or hide or something and I could only view new materials I made in it even though they were still showing on the model. They all showed up in the stack on the normal/other layers. I couldn't seem to unhide my existing albedo materials at all.

Thanks for any help.
  • jan19
    Hi,

One thing I'm noticing is I'm not getting anything in the way of a traditional bump map. I know (or think) there's no need to use bump and normal maps...right? But if we wanted to create a traditional bump map, is there any way to get DDO to make one?

If I wanted to make a pz2 file, for instance, I don't think that'd read normal maps.

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question...I model a lot for Poser and am just a hobbyist, and not a pro or a game development modeler. :-)

I'm still loving DDO though!
  • jan19
    Also, when you guys get time, could we get more videos like the DDO/3DO primer video?

That method works -- but I know it can't be the only workflow for DDO. :-)

Thank you!!!
  • Geti
    Offline / Send Message
    Geti polycounter lvl 2
    Dropping in to say I've been enjoying using the suite, have hit a few snags with it along the way though.

Seems that importing a material ID map with alpha in it causes DDO to crash, took me ages to catch this one. Seems to start making documents, then freak out and close DDO and the suite launcher - I tried running just ddo.exe from the command line to try and catch error output but it doesn't give any prior to the ever-helpful "DDO has stopped responding" windows popup.

Hope that some form of "auto-tiling" can be implemented with DDO blending textures across UV seams of the same material ID or something, though overall its been a real timesaver so far.
  • jan19
    jan19 wrote: »
    Also, when you guys get time, could we get more videos like the DDO/3DO primer video?

That method works -- but I know it can't be the only workflow for DDO. :-)

Thank you!!!

Ok, I found more videos in the DDO documentation. :)

Looking forward to watching them.

Gave my hog Photoshop more RAM and the Suite performance improved.

Gave NDO a whirl to create a normal map from cavity/height maps to get more detail. Interesting results! Now I see what NDO does.

*Is it those of us who are running versions of Photoshop below CS6 (I have CSE5) who are getting the *set* error? Will that eventually go away?

Thank you again!
  • DarkEdge
    Offline / Send Message
    I have 16 gigs of ram and imported an object with 5 groupings and
    s-s-s-s-stuttering s-s-s-s-slow s-s-s-s-s-s--s-s-s-s-s-slugggy. :)
    DAMMIT!! :poly127:
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    So I found a pretty nasty bug.

When hand painting things and using ddo and 3do viewer open on my second monitor my cursor will snap off screen to some point in the distance drawing a straight line on my texture or whatever i'm doing in photoshop from where my pen was to this new imaginary point.

It is a constant thing. If I close 3do and paint it doesn't happen but as soon as I open 3do boom it happens again and again.
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12

When hand painting things and using ddo and 3do viewer open on my second monitor my cursor will snap off screen to some point in the distance drawing a straight line on my texture or whatever i'm doing in photoshop from where my pen was to this new imaginary point.

It is a constant thing. If I close 3do and paint it doesn't happen but as soon as I open 3do boom it happens again and again.

i've been getting the same thing, took me a little bit to figure out what was going on, but it is pretty annoying
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    so i keep running into something a bit annoying. when i right click on my reflectance layer to set a preset pbr value, the suite crashes.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15

been getting the same thing with ndo.
  • jan19
    Been waiting a while with no answer. Hopefully somebody can get back to me soon

Hey, fullchaos, has anyone answered you yet?

Your post happened to catch my eye and I didn't see replies immediately below, but my eye may have skimmed over.

Anyway, whenever I get that blank screen, it's because I didn't tell DDO to create base layers (options). :-) For each group in my ID color map.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys, this is probably the most stupid question of all time but is there a way to export my maps? Also is there a way to export them then reload them so I can do nice renders without it killing my pc loading 600mb PSD's in each slot!

Thanks
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, fullchaos, has anyone answered you yet?

Your post happened to catch my eye and I didn't see replies immediately below, but my eye may have skimmed over.

Anyway, whenever I get that blank screen, it's because I didn't tell DDO to create base layers (options). :-) For each group in my ID color map.

Where can I find this create base layers option?
  • jan19
    In the first DDO window -- where you set everything up.

(See thumbnail attachment)

You can also opt to group those base layers, if you want to.

You may get the *set* error, but I just ignore that and keep going.

It doesn't seem to affect anything.

You can texture without those base layers though -- or create them by hitting C to bring up the color map in 3D0, then shift click on a specific color to add a material to that part of your map. That'll give you something of a base layer for that color anyhow, if I'm making any sense.

That's the super easy method, for me. Just don't link anything, and texture everything with C/Shift Click -- then group whatever I want to be grouped.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a way to copy a mask from one layer to the another? I can just find the option to copy between maps.
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    In the first DDO window -- where you set everything up.

(See thumbnail attachment)

You can also opt to group those base layers, if you want to.

You may get the *set* error, but I just ignore that and keep going.

It doesn't seem to affect anything.

You can texture without those base layers though -- or create them by hitting C to bring up the color map in 3D0, then shift click on a specific color to add a material to that part of your map. That'll give you something of a base layer for that color anyhow, if I'm making any sense.

That's the super easy method, for me. Just don't link anything, and texture everything with C/Shift Click -- then group whatever I want to be grouped.

Ok so I found that option and ticked it on, the problem still persists, the materials load but I am not able to actually edit them. Also in 3D0 When I press c to view my color id map it just shows up all black. I got 3D0 to show the actual colors a few times but have no idea how I did it.
  • jan19
    Hey, fullchaos, you have to *enter* the group (click the arrow at the top) to edit it.

For your color map, try the refresh button (whirly thang) on the bottom of the main DDO screen to bring it up. That'll refresh 3DO.

You usually have to do that after any change...or I do.

Have you watched the DDO/3DO Primer on the Quixel site, or on YouTube? It's really good for giving you an overview of Suite DDO. Everything I'm posting came from that. I'm just a beginner with DDO -- all I know is what I've figured out and what came from that video. And that's a doggone good video!

There are others in the documentation for DDO, too -- other videos. I haven't watched them all, but the one on New Projects is very nice. :-)

Good luck!
  • Panzerdraco
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    Can we get a changelog/estimated date for the next update?
  • ivan0v
    How to edit the maps so they work correctly with UE4? I know the update is coming but can we do this manually now?
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I've been getting a lot of errors on one of my projects. When I select something, usually a layer or mask icon, the dDo window disappears. Completely. It's not minimized or rescaled, it's just gone, but 3do is still open. I have to reopen the suite and dDo, then hope it picks up my maps again. Unfortunately, tonight it closed while setting up my Albedo, so when it opens back up, it didn't recognize the Albedo at all and I had to reimport all of my maps and let it recalculate all 23 material IDs.

It's mainly the only bug I've had, everything else works fine for me. I just run into disappearing windows a lot.

Edit: More specifically, just tried to lower the preview resolution with some materials already applied. The dDo window disappeared after giving me a Photoshop popup about history states. I restart dDo and it picks up all of my maps except my albedo. My albedo no longer has any layers or anything and the PSD layers are all merged to the default, locked Background layer.

Also linking materials through 3DO gives an error about influence every time and doesn't match the material by color id. All it does it create the material with a blank white mask.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    10431529_707984229269588_1860001395596994255_n.jpg?oh=8875a1b01551163f3c6b0fd4129c5dd2&oe=5425F3B6

Quixel SUITE 1.1 is HERE! Metalness support, 32 new smart materials, huge performance gains, tiling normal support, bug fixes, new sample projects and much more -- launch the SUITE & grab the update now!

Don't forget to visit the Wiki as well for sample project files to download and videos and documentation on the Suite!
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    sweet release :D solved pretty much all the issues i had before and wow... much fast! such speed. <3
  • ivan0v
    Metalness as in Unreal 4? Is it normal that every time dDO creates a black map?
  • cromadbomber
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Shift click in 3D0 to apply material does not work 1.1. Anyone getting the same issue?
  • AppleRaw
    Can't create Smart Material in 1.1
  • AppleRaw
    Can't save SmartMaterial in 1.1.
  • Panzerdraco
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    A lot of the masks seem to be broken in 1.1 including things like Big Stains.
  • nyx702
    I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bug but I don't believe it clears out the patterns when DDO is done. I always have to reload mine after it's done. This could potentially cause some people to loose un-saved patterns too. Just wanted to mention it!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    so im wondering if there may be a way around this.. in maya i work with Z up instead of Y up, so when i bake out an object space normal map, technically my top/bottom is my front/back and vice versa. when i bring all that into ddo and use smart materials, i usually have to change any of the object space masks. would there be a way for you to select a Z up environment in ddo by default?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Shift click in 3D0 to apply material does not work 1.1. Anyone getting the same issue?

Same issue here, on my work and home computers.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Woops. missed the thread in here. Anyone else getting errors? :(

quixelerror1.png

quixelerror2.png
  • Kami
    Why does the quixel website say megascans is 8192x8192 resolution? I just checked quixels install files manually and the resolution of each material was 2048x2048 maximum.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Kami wrote: »
    Why does the quixel website say megascans is 8192x8192 resolution? I just checked quixels install files manually and the resolution of each material was 2048x2048 maximum.

I don't see why Quixel would give us 8k, fully PBR, tiling textures free of charge in a public beta test for dDo.
  • Kami
    leleuxart wrote: »
    I don't see why Quixel would give us 8k, fully PBR, tiling textures free of charge in a public beta test for dDo.

In the beta there are only 20-30ish materials out of the 1000+ that the full product will supposedly include.

Besides, if I was demoing a product (with only 2-3% of the full products content available during the public test), I wouldn't ALSO make the images 4% (calculated) of the full versions quality. I'm deciding right now whether to use this or Substance designer/painter, and I don't think limiting the 3% of the content available to only 4% of the original quality is a very good way to get people to decide to use your product.

The projects my studio works on require only the best textures, so we usually capture them ourselves with a DSLR and go from there. I would like to have given this a shot, but 2k is simply not good enough.

Also, these textures are anything BUT tileable. I was skeptical of that claim so I just quickly tiled a few of the textures, and it repeats... let's say very obviously.

Even their youtube video of the environment in cryengine isn't 8k. There is no reason not to use the 8k materials in their own promotion video if they actually had them.

I have a feeling they're going to take everyones money and say 8k will come "soon" or some bs.

I would be glad if I was proven wrong though.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    So, in dDo legacy you could tweak the values of the height map and it would automatically bump the normal. Is there anyway to achieve this in the current version? When I added a height map it just broke my model totally, and just changing values in the normal map doesn't sound smart...
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Updated to the latest ddo and went to rerender my project, I got this error:

ddo_error01.jpg

Now my textures all look weird (albedo with black areas etc.) It looks like the material that messed up resulted in black, and all the worn parts of the texture that are meant to have that visible just show black.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    For me it keeps bugging me about the 1.1 update, this is the third time downloading and installing it.
This discussion has been closed.