Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Adam Hogseth, Character Artist

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey polycounters,

I've been lurking and asking advice here on polycount for a couple of years now.. I figure it's about time I post up some work and ask for critiques. Please feel free to give me your honest feedback on the content and the site! Always looking for ways to improve.

I built the portfolio using this fantastic template (created by Dan! and modified by Snowfly -- thank you!)

I really love doing this stuff and I'm really hoping to break into the industry. If you guys have any suggestions that could help me work my way there, I'm all ears.

There are some things missing currently.. I have to put together a resume and upload that, so that link is broken. Also, the tri count for all of the characters still needs to be filled in.

With that said... thanks for having a look!

http://www.adamhogseth.com

Replies

• ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice portfolio, I'm not gonna give you a character crit since I'm in no place to do that, but on a more general note, you should setup your contact button in a way spambots don't retrieve your address so easily.

I used a bitmap for instance. It's more work if people want to contact me (hell they have to type it), but in a way they only contact for important things so it's all good.
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i like the characters but i think the woman is by far the best of them and some like the man lack character and definition on what they are supposed to be but that my opinion anyway
  • Next
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    stuff is really cool but im missing some breakups like texture sheets, wireframes and highpoly renders if there are any used and so on.Add them and all good!
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Next - Thanks! I'm considering making the images each link to an individual page which has texture flats, wireframes, and maybe some renders of the highpoly sculpt. If I can find some way to do a filmstrip-like thumnail layout on the sidebar of the individual pages I think that would work really well.

@ Azkur - Thank you! I'm not happy with the textures on the man (Irenicus), and there's a few things about the sculpt that bug me... so I'm going to try to work on those tonight and should have a fresh image soon.

@ ParoXum - Thanks for the suggestion! I don't mind a little spam, however, so long as the individuals who want to reach me by email are able to do so as easily as possible.

Thanks for checking it out guys. :) Keep 'em coming!
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I'd suggest some breakdowns. The images say X triangles which I'm guessing is a placeholder? Some wireframes and flats would be good to see.
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    I'd suggest some breakdowns. The images say X triangles which I'm guessing is a placeholder? Some wireframes and flats would be good to see.

Thanks Lroy - I'll work on including breakdowns for each character. Should have the tri counts/texture flats/wires added to the side of each image tonight.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good... your reptilian characters rock! Once you add breakdowns, etc. should be good to go!
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    cool stuff. suppose you're working on that BG2 remake mod?

kobold feels a bit too cartoony compared to the rest, i never realized they are reptiles btw.

if you aim to be a character artist then it would help to have bunch of original characters in portfolio, preferably with polycounts high enough to look good in modern fps games.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Your characters look very clean and well made. I especially like you're beholder, it brings back memories of nightmare fights in Shadows of Amn!
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blaisoid - Thanks! Yup -- I'm doing most of the characters/creatures for the BG2Redux mod for Dragon Age. I've heard the same critique about the kobold.. I've removed it from my portfolio for now, until I can go back and rework it at a later time. They're dragonkin.. right now they look too similar to lizardmen though. The tails are a bit too thick.. it's supposed to be a puny thing. I'll sculpt a bit and see if I can come up with a better version soon!

And I'm currently working on an original character and targeting the same polycount you mentioned.. it's a sci-fi armored character requiring much more hard surface modeling than anything currently in my portfolio. As soon as I have something worth showing I'll make a new thread for it. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

@SCB - Thank you! Glad you like 'em. :) And I know, right? I'm looking forward to working on the mindflayers too.. I remember dying over and over and over in their lair in SoA. Eeeesh. haha

Also, just a general update: reworked the textures on Irenicus' armor a bit last night. It was hard to get a read on surfaces and material... It still needs some work but I think it's looking better. Let me know!
  • Vrbas
    I love the Beatrix one, amazing work!
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Nice and clean:), get those breakdowns on there as stated by others and keep up the good work.
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    Nice and clean:), get those breakdowns on there as stated by others and keep up the good work.

Thanks Dan! Working on putting those together. And thanks for posting the original version of the layout!