Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Lenny, those Lich items look sick! Can't wait to see more!
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Well, got my knife into the previewer and it looks good, except that.. well:

Knife_Preview_01.jpg

Have not yet figured out why it's rotate all wrong, it lines up with the original and is skinned to the same bone. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Gamer_Alien
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    It's true that the shape doesn't change much, but storm spirit's round hat is a signature of the hero dating back to WC3Dota. It's what you focus on. Having a different overall shape would really detract from that. The shape itself is actually much rounder than his standard hat, which is more "cone" shaped, while mine is more of a squashed hemisphere.

RxKcOIP.png

As for your item, the design is simple and nice but the textures seem very uniform in color. Nothing stands out on the blade, and nothing feels defined or special. Even for a common the textures make it feel "bland"

i wasn't aiming for special stuff and glorified items. this one was meant to be an item which would drop off for people the second it was imported ingame , an adequate susbstitute for jug's own sword.

the original sword is much more bland ! only that it has a particle wire that makes it glow. I cant do that :D
  • Gamer_Alien
    Pierate wrote: »
    Well, got my knife into the previewer and it looks good, except that.. well:

Knife_Preview_01.jpg

Have not yet figured out why it's rotate all wrong, it lines up with the original and is skinned to the same bone. Anyone have any ideas?

specify which program are u using for modeling ? maya , max ,blender etc.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    specify which program are u using for modeling ? maya , max ,blender etc.

My bad, using 3ds max with wunderboy's smd importer and exporter, although fbx results in the same rotation.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Pierate wrote: »
    My bad, using 3ds max with wunderboy's smd importer and exporter, although fbx results in the same rotation.

ok , do this :

1-go to utilities tab . reset xform -> reset selected ( your item )
    2-now u have an xform modifier . DISABLE ( NOT DELETE ) the modifier.
    3- if your item moves by doing so , youve found the problem source. :D
    4- Now , convert your object to edit poly ( collapse the mods stack ) with xform modifier ACTIVE.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i would love too, but i think that will restrict some of the participants

lol i got a crazy idea that many wont like , but its still an idea !

make a pool of the guys who want to participate , then randomly assign people into groups. Then randomly assign a hero that doesn't have much items to this group. this group , working together must make a set for the assigned hero :). First set approved wins.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    ok , do this :

1-go to utilities tab . reset xform -> reset selected ( your item )
    2-now u have an xform modifier . DISABLE ( NOT DELETE ) the modifier.
    3- if your item moves by doing so , youve found the problem source. :D
    4- Now , convert your object to edit poly ( collapse the mods stack ) with xform modifier ACTIVE.

That did not help, however, I imported the fbx files from valve into max and the weapon model was rotated differently, wheres in the smd its lying flat on the ground. I'd prefer to use the smd's though, perhaps I should try another importer.

edit: nevermind, imported the fbx into a fresh file and the model was lying flat on the ground there aswell.

edit2: using the fbx files provided and exporting as smd works perfectly.
  • Bezoro
    Offline / Send Message
    Bezoro polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there beautiful people, I've been stalking you guys for a while now, I used to come here everytime I was in need of some inspiration while I learned my way around 3D Modeling, Texturing and whatnot.
    So I decided to finally create this account and share some of my stuff with you guys.

Now, I decided to work on a set for Lich since he doesn't have a single item available for him *singletear* and I like his design, well I like pretty much all the heroes designs but he is one of my favorites.

So here it is, its just the base for the moment, and I am not digging the dress very much, I'm still fooling around with it and I'm not so sure what I'm going to do with his back, its supposed to resemble an upside down wing in the end, right now its just a blob.
    That Lich set by Lennyagony gave some ideas though.

It's heavily inspired by the Darksiders art style, its not very obvious right now but I hope the end result will be cool

I wanted to keep the stone around his neck and the chains for lore reasons though, the original idea was to connect the chains from the neck to the wrists but I don't think its possible as of right now and would be a pain to rig.

lhz7Nz7.jpg

Any critiques are welcome of course. :thumbup:

Now that I think of it I should probably exagerate the forms a bit more, both DotA 2 and Darksiders have a pretty "exagerated" style when it comes to form and silhouette.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    I'm digging the idea Bezoro.

I absolutely love the collar on him, and I don't think it'd be too hard to add jigglebones to chains on the wrist if you look into that. It'd work well with the set.

The "dress" feels somewhat lacking, and I hope what's hanging from his side is a book/tome.

I have no idea whats going on with the back horns, but it doesn't look appealing at all right now. Doesn't feel like lich at all.

Hope you develop this more, I think it's pretty nice.

On a side note: Anyone else having workshop problems since Tuskar's patch?
    I can rarely submit items with the importer succesfully and I get stuck at "retrieving information" when I try to View My Items in-game.

Edit: Fixed it by logging into a different steam account then back into mine.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Here is my sword update , for those interested :

2lk9py1.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128919602

I added some color and engravings , though might revise them.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Here is my sword update , for those interested :

2lk9py1.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128919602

I added some color and engravings , though might revise them.

Its still really dark, I think brightening it up, making it look like searing hot metal would be very beneficial. Almost like the Odachi Sword for him.

generic_sword_nodachi.3941daab743b8745e82bf45a85cb369d583440f3.png
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    @Bezoro Maybe you can help me, when I try to import Lich's Back FBX file into max all I get is this piece of the model, not the full horns.

27hgb

I also got some errors about Fbx not being able to import something about directx shaders?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    idle animation 01
    plantIDLE.gif

It might be a bit too animated, I might have to tone it down, but I kinda like how wild it is. There is still somethings I need to fix when it loops.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    The two turn arounds near the end are what push it over for me. Maybe only one or the other? I think the rest fits pretty well.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Could you make that gif a clickable link instead? as it keeps crashing the page for me :|
  • Gamer_Alien
    hmm , its lighter and fiery , im certain about that :D

25typ1l.jpg
  • rzr
    @Bezoro
    Can u tell me how to use uv-texture from valve's archive in zbrush on model? I tried to do this on my own but i failed.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    I am a 3D Modeler looking for a concept artist to make items ! I'm very low on ideas and want a person who can draw things from his mind ! and we together can make dota2 items !

you can add me to steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dvonio/
    or send me a private message over there
    (will be on on aprox 8 hours from now)

I have already some items in the workshop and one in the store.

If you can do 2d texture detail its awesome too! I lack on hand paint texturing a bit!
  • LongThumb
    hmm , its lighter and fiery , im certain about that :D

25typ1l.jpg

I don't know why but I think the sword would be better having a steel colour and having the yellow edge with the red design on the steel.

That's just me though.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Mostly done with the sculpt now, not 100% happy with everything and i still need to adjust some of the cloth folds, scuff the edges up and mirror around some of the elements that are unsculpted. At this point i always have the compulsion to just keep adding layer upon layer of detail, but i think i need to just stop and bake it out.

lennyagony_lich03.jpg

Chaemirix - Thanks for the crit, hope the sculpted horns are more in line with the rest now :)

Bronto - Cheers mate, and nice work on Leshrac. Planning to do anymore items for the same character?

Bezoro - Digging that collar!

AndrewHelenek - awesome animation, really like all the secondary motion.
  • Bezoro
    Offline / Send Message
    Bezoro polycounter lvl 9
    The "dress" feels somewhat lacking, and I hope what's hanging from his side is a book/tome.

I have no idea whats going on with the back horns, but it doesn't look appealing at all right now. Doesn't feel like lich at all.

Yes, its a book/tome.
    But yeah, I'm still fooling around with those, not entirely happy with them but I got some ideas thanks :)
    @Bezoro Maybe you can help me, when I try to import Lich's Back FBX file into max all I get is this piece of the model, not the full horns.

I'm using the SMD files I got from decompiling the MDL files using StudioCompiler. I never really used FBX files, but people tend to have problems with them.
    If you want I could upload the SMD files somewhere and send you the link if you don't have them already?
    @Bezoro
    Can u tell me how to use uv-texture from valve's archive in zbrush on model? I tried to do this on my own but i failed.

I imported the SMD files into 3DS Max and exported them as a single OBJ but seaparated the "slot" pieces so they would have their own groups in Zbrush so I would just have to group split them to have each in their separate subtool, you do have to export the texture coordinates when exporting your OBJ for it to be UVd in Zbrush though, so it was pretty easy to put the textures in.
    Zbrush won't read the TGA files that I got from extracting the VTF files, so I had to save them as TIFF files and flip the image vertically in each of the color textures.
    Then I just take advantage of the fact that those meshes are already UVd and used the "Texture Map" rollout in the Tools palette to apply the texture to each subtool. I just select the TIFF file and it applies correctly
    Hope that helps. :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Oh damn that Lich set is coming along so well -- that's going to be a first-day buy for me! Love Lich.

At the moment in just going to make a bunch of single items and if one gets a particular amount of love from the community I may just make it into a set.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I actually liked the contour of the horny things behind lich's shoulders but what he lacks the most is transparent things, things that suggest he returned back from the dead (yeah, kinda like kel'thuzad's original model, I like that one much more than the current model). Imho Death Prophet is a better example for that.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    I am a 3D Modeler looking for a concept artist to make items ! I'm very low on ideas and want a person who can draw things from his mind ! and we together can make dota2 items !

you can add me to steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dvonio/
    or send me a private message over there

I have already some items in the workshop and one in the store.

If you can do 2d texture detail its awesome too! I lack on hand paint texturing a bit!

EDIT: Done! thank you anyways guys for the offer!
  • Bezoro
    Offline / Send Message
    Bezoro polycounter lvl 9
    Progress was made. :thumbup:

g2kUmSA.jpg?1

I'm not calling these done yet though.

Gonna try and work on the dress a bit now, haven't touched it yet.
    It looks so good in my head, the problem is making it happen :)
  • Asi
    I am working on amazin mount for mirana, a snow white wolf :D
    I am having a problem when I need to assign bones to mesh...
    How to assign selected mesh to bones, in blender?
    I just assign everything to mesh, but only bones that belong to mount.
    2013022400001.jpg
  • Gamer_Alien
    Ok , i finished up with my sword !
    i would appreciate if u would rate it , so that it can surface.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129334549

207lrhw.jpg
  • walt
    found some time today to work on knight of the light :)

Still need to work on the top part of the lance, the unicorn horn, and add a ribbon.
    Might do the top part in the same style as the top, not sure yet.
    The idea is to have open visor lod0, and a closed helmet for lod1. Don't know if it's possible or allowed, but i'm going to try.

kotl2.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    walt wrote: »
    found some time today to work on knight of the light :)

Still need to work on the top part of the lance, the unicorn horn, and add a ribbon.
    Might do the top part in the same style as the top, not sure yet.
    The idea is to have open visor lod0, and a closed helmet for lod1. Don't know if it's possible or allowed, but i'm going to try.

kotl2.jpg

As awesome as it look, and as bad ass as it feels. I don't know if that's gonna work, I don't think it really fits his character. I could be wrong so just ignore me!
  • Gamer_Alien
    As awesome as it look, and as bad ass as it feels. I don't know if that's gonna work, I don't think it really fits his character. I could be wrong so just ignore me!

I agree. As good as it looks , I seriously didnt recognize the hero and read the text to find out.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Well, it's finally, finally, finished!

Collection_Cover.jpg

Please upvote it if you like it! http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=129395311
  • Gamer_Alien
    wow i'm jealous ! your item has 80 views already while mine has only ten !

how do u get that much viewers ? im always stuck with kow viewer base.
  • rzr
    @asi
    u have to use vertex groups (google for it)
    or i can give ya some screens if u need
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Walt: It looks really awesome, but like mentioned before it doesn't really fit the character. The Lance could work though, but I'm most of the time completely wrong about these things so you might just want to continue :p

@Mrpresident: Congrats on finishing, it's looks great! not really a fan of the headpiece though but the colors fit the cheracter really well!

After looking at the model ingame it looked really awfull so i changed the textures of the plant_ward. This way the observer and sentry will have a complete different look. It's still Wip, but comments are always welcome!

VvUPrwp.jpg
  • krflol
    "Broken relic of the Secret Fishin Hole"
    Really like the idea of Slark going around the sunken Isle of Masks and jackin a bunch of loot. Let me know what yall think. Definately considering making a set
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129439979
    30F7B0866F395C7D5C61DB3A9A1CD385CB2C35DE
    C7A948C8304108DEF0FC5DA2C19C5B5BA824558B
    EE1DF11DC8BF188036B2214FF348AE1D21458596
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Normal/AO only as a test on the lod1 horns/wrists, i wanted to make sure i could convincingly get this working on the lowest lod before i worked the masks and color map up.

lennyagony_lich04.jpg

I somehow completely overlooked the way his wrists pinch in pretty much every single animated pose lich has, its covered up nicely by the default armguards but its going to mean i need to give my version a pretty major adjustment to create the same illusion. Glad i caught it before i had to redo to much work though:)

Edit: the decompiled model and the wrist action it comes with :\

lennyagony_lich05.jpg

Looking to have a complete 4 peice test tomorrow, anticipating the robes and neck to be pretty uncooperative when it comes to weighting.

Bronto - cheers mate, and that sounds like a pretty organised way to populate your workshop with some popular sets.

mrpresident - really nice work, love that staff.

walt - seriously awesome idea with headpiece and lod0/1!
  • Junglehermit
    Haha, I really like that Slark item krflol!

The animations on the plant ward look good.

Finished up a set for Weaver. Kept forgetting to post progress shots here though (-_-) Any feedback would be appreciated!

Weaver_EmberTipped.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I really like that Slark item krflol!

The animations on the plant ward look good.

Finished up a set for Weaver. Kept forgetting to post progress shots here though (-_-) Any feedback would be appreciated!

Weaver_EmberTipped.jpg

That set is badass without being overwhelming, good job! One of the first weaver sets I actually enjoy! :thumbup:
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys I started a new set a couple of days ago, working on creating some items for batrider. The mount is a very early block out I wanted to create a more aggressive predatory bat, taking some reference from the night stalker character amongst other things. I may also experiment with a slightly frankenstein'd together bat. The idea behind the book is it's a lost pyromancers tome, which bat rider dubs the "arsonist's cookbook". The rest of the sets lore stems form this, I'll talk more about that as the set nears completion.
    Batrider.jpg
  • Asi
    Can someone give me some good tutorial how to assign certain parts of the mesh to the bonnes?
    I really need help on this :(
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys I started a new set a couple of days ago, working on creating some items for batrider. The mount is a very early block out I wanted to create a more aggressive predatory bat, taking some reference from the night stalker character amongst other things. I may also experiment with a slightly frankenstein'd together bat. The idea behind the book is it's a lost pyromancers tome, which bat rider dubs the "arsonist's cookbook". The rest of the sets lore stems form this, I'll talk more about that as the set nears completion.
    Batrider.jpg
    What's up with the staff? Batrider has no weapon slot.
  • rzr
    Asi wrote: »
    Can someone give me some good tutorial how to assign certain parts of the mesh to the bonnes?
    I really need help on this :(

i'll make some screens for you in the morning (its 11 p.m. now so u have to wait :3)
  • Mark.N
    Hey have any you guys had your items added officially into the dota 2 beta (not test client) before Valve actually let's you know? Apparently one of my items has been dropping since last week and it's news to me as of earlier lol
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    @Junglehermit: Cool weaver set, looks really good.

Gotten some stuff into the previewer without anything looking too wrong:

Knife:
    Knife_Preview_02.jpg

Shuriken:
    Shuriken_Preview_01.jpg

The textures are pretty much just blocked in colors and temporary masks, last weapon should be in the previewer within a few days.
  • TommyTehZombie
    4Hwxoj7.jpg

Cant tell if too bulky or not...

Also, does anyone know Valves stance on clipping with default items? I'd like to avoid it as much as possible in the name of quality, but at the same time i dont want to deter too far from my original idea..
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    wow i'm jealous ! your item has 80 views already while mine has only ten !

how do u get that much viewers ? im always stuck with kow viewer base.

I threw it up on reddit, which was clearly a huge mistake...

Currently 310 ratings in only 20 hours but it's still stuck at 4 stars... while 2 sets that came out around the same time but only have around 80 ratings are placing much higher on the best sets for the week... (not to insinuate those sets are bad, they're great!)

Either my set is a lot worse/divisive than I thought or redditors are damn harsh, maybe both, kinda down about it though =/

For anyone thinking about it I wouldn't recommend posting your workshop items on reddit to get more attention... appears to backfire.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Nice weaver and OMG YES KotL UNICRON KNIGHT! I would buy! :D

Finished my windrunner set. Was to tired to post it here last nigth so a bit delayed :(
    presentation.jpg
  • Starcofski
    I threw it up on reddit, which was clearly a huge mistake...

Currently 310 ratings in only 20 hours but it's still stuck at 4 stars... while 2 sets that came out around the same time but only have around 80 ratings are placing much higher on the best sets for the week... (not to insinuate those sets are bad, they're great!)

Either my set is a lot worse/divisive than I thought or redditors are damn harsh, maybe both, kinda down about it though =/

For anyone thinking about it I wouldn't recommend posting your workshop items on reddit to get more attention... appears to backfire.

Well Anuxi's Windrunner set hit Reddit, and it's currently around 500 ratings at 5 stars. So it isn't so much that it backfired, but rather that community did not like it as much as you thought/hoped.

Personally, I plan to put my next item there as a way to determine if it's worth making the full set. Really, just think of it as a place to either get critique, or generate attention for your work (or both, in your case).
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Well Anuxi's Windrunner set hit Reddit, and it's currently around 500 ratings at 5 stars. So it isn't so much that it backfired, but rather that community did not like it as much as you thought/hoped.

Personally, I plan to put my next item there as a way to determine if it's worth making the full set. Really, just think of it as a place to either get critique, or generate attention for your work (or both, in your case).

Her set hit 500 ratings long before it was posted to reddit :P (congrats on that btw anuxi!) and even as amazing as it is, it's at 78% upvotes/downvotes on reddit :O . If even her stuff is getting that many downvotes... if that's not harsh I don't know what is.

But you're right, it probably is that my set is just not up to snuff, or rather not professional quality work. Partially because my texturing skills aren't too great yet, and partially because my design is pushing him too far from rubick's default look, which makes me sad, I don't want to play it safe on my next set but I might have to if I keep getting so many "it's too different!" complaints.

I hope I don't sound like I'm whining, I really do appreciate both the positive and negative feedback, and I've gotten lots of positive feedback too, but every negative comment seems 30x bigger than every positive, guess I need to grow some thicker skin.