Home Marmoset

issue with area lights

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
i'm having an issue with area lights. it seems to happen almost everytime when i turn a light into an area light. i get this weird checker pattern all over the mesh that flickers and swims all over the mesh. if i capture an image from the viewport it isn't actually there. i had to do a printscreen to get this to show up. check the image out. i seem to have tracked down a few culprits here. it appears to be related to the normal map. if i turn the normal map off, the issue goes away. also, if i uncheck "scale & bias" and then check it back on again, the issue goes away until i move my camera. anyone else experience this? I'm running a GeForce Titan card

added a video to youtube showing the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREZQBn3KYc&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this is interesting...

would you mind sending your scene file and the related normalmap over to support@marmoset.co so we can debug it?

cheers!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i sent a scene file over. it doesn't seem to be related 100% to the scene i'm working on, i'm noticing it on other files as well, so I don't think it is an issue with my models or textures
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thanks for sending it over, everyone on the team has tested it (we have a veriety of machine builds/cards) and we're unable to reproduce the issue.

Personally, i tried it with the scene as you sent it, as well as setting up new lights... and i've found no way of introducing the issue:
    RZ5VFtI.png

Do you happen to know which driver version you're running? I'm on 340.52.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting! i'm on 344.75. let me roll back the driver and see what happens
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolled back to 340.52 and the issue is gone. must be an nvidia driver issue. I'm going to continue installing the driver, one version at a time to see which version breaks it

update: nvidia 344.48 is where it breaks for me, any driver from there on forward seems to be busted. I tested 344.48, 344.60, 344.65 and 344.75 and they all have the same issue. I know there is also an issue with Knald and more recent nvidia drivers as well. with knald, anything before 344.11 seems to be fine, anything newer breaks that too
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thanks for the confirmation! driver issues are a bit of a pain, we can't do much except bug nVidia to fix it =/
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    All my guess is : you can try contacting nvidia about this issue so, they will try to fix it up since you builded up a very good reputation thank to toolbag marmoset 2! :)
  • RC-1290
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RC-1290 polycounter lvl 7
    I just noticed a similar effect with the scene on my GTX 860M.
    As a temporary workaround, you could try setting the resolution to half in the render settings. That seems to reduce the effect significantly for me.