Home Marmoset

Toolbag 2 is on Steam! | Marmoset Toolbag 2 | News & Announcements

Replies

• FancyJames
    Hey!
    Was busy with work so marmoset was sitting idol for a couple of days but now I got to it rendered one of my old models that i never finish AND FUCK ME I LOVE MARMOSET 2...
    686j.jpg

and i'm still getting some sharp highlight crashing on my lip like the eye issue others had.

Oh and is it possible to have Light linking so a light would only effect specific objects and not universally cause that would be amazing!!!
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    No 32bit support?

Dammit I really need to upgrade my pos laptop.
  • Miguelito
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for your answer.
    Sorry but I dont get the result that I would like to have in the turntable, after testing all possibilities. Maybe I was bit unclear. Lets say I place a light on the left of my character on a pedestal. Shadow is casted to the right. I would like to have a turntable anim in which my objects rotate but the shadow is always casted to the right.
    Hope I was clear :)
    Thx
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Bug: earlier today had transform gizmo bug, I saw a while ago posted by somebody in beta thread. When you rotate model a bit using gizmo, and after imputing correct rotation into the transform section, causing model to spaz in the wrong direction. Though my geometry is not a "child" of any other object in the scene. I tried to force unparent it (though as I said its not really parented to anything) geometry will show actual rotation I have done to it before. So it seems like geometry acting as if there is a hidden parent that screws up the rotation.

Suggestion: "Open Recent" button under "Open Scene".

Thank you! :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Any chance of getting a duplicate mesh option? I know you can reimport a duplicate and move it. But ugghh so lazy. Be nice to duplicate a mesh if you want to show multiple angles at once.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Any chance of getting a duplicate mesh option? I know you can reimport a duplicate and move it. But ugghh so lazy. Be nice to duplicate a mesh if you want to show multiple angles at once.

This. Especially for us environment artists with instancing workflows. A nice hotkey for it would be sweet too (CTRL+D or ALT+Drag would be especially convenient.)
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really new to PBR and I was wondering, do we still need to "neutralise" albedo (diffuse) textures with inverted hue specular for non metals? Or is that now thing of the past?
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure if this has been answered, but is it planned in the future to have the ability to import camera animations from max and maya? Would be great for those that are planning a environment.
  • Ballo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    oohhh I'm totally feeling if love with Marmoset2.0, but don't say it to my girlfriend. :P

I just discover the second reflection parameters, specially useful to give a oil layer to an skin shader. Still working in a good eyes shader

ChineseRealtime.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    2.01 is out!

We’ve released a patch to fix some of the early issues that people have been experiencing. Crashing with older video cards has been fixed, z-fighting issues have been reduced, Mac installer errors have been resolved and a few other minor glitches have been taken care of.

If you had trouble installing 2.00, please download the 2.01 installer and try again. For everyone else, Toolbag should give you a prompt to update to the new build.

Double sided is now in as well, it has been added as a mesh attribute. Uncheck Cull Back Faces in the per-mesh properties to get double sided meshes.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    that was fast! thanks.

one issue related to single sided meshes is that the shadows still seem to only cast from back faces, it seems like it should be the other way though. is this a bug or by design ?

btw, if possible it would be great to expose some settings for contact refinement shadows. things like tolerance bias, quality, blurring, etc.

i also put your scale cube in there just to make sure.

5MdNoVn.jpg

download test scene here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/shadows.rar
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    how's it look if you duplicate & flip the faces on the single sided mesh?
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    how's it look if you duplicate & flip the faces on the single sided mesh?

that would be the same as the other cylinder in the scene, which as you can see is casting proper shadow since it is manually double sided (well shell to be more accurate)

but, doing that basically defeats the purpose of double sided rendering and also often causes self shadowing which can be another headache.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    here is another screenshot in reply to what Justin asked:

notice how the cylinder with manually duplicated faces catches self-shadow and is darker.

Ct8GVM0.jpg

download test scene+obj here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/cull_shadow_test.rar
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    That seems like a bug in itself, no? The inner faces shouldn't be casting shadows onto the front faces that are facing the light.
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    finally we have backface culling :) now i can see my hair lool
    i still find my self using the skin shader for a lot of stuff like the hat, hair and eyes but now the secondary reflection really helps out with the hair cards i can get that nice anysotropic spec coming trough
    devon_jane_new.jpg

EDIT:
    since the update i am getting this weird clipping that shows up depending on the distance and angle
    face_errors.jpg
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    20131210224640868.jpeg Geometry plane tearing up when looking at it at pricesely (up to a pixel) straight angle.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    That seems like a bug in itself, no? The inner faces shouldn't be casting shadows onto the front faces that are facing the light.

it does look like a bug.

also, notice how the backfaces are darkened when cast shadow is on. with shadows off, both front faces and back faces render with same lighting but with shadows on, the back faces seem to self shadow as well.

8Xf5rrB.gif

if someone else can download the test files i posted and see if this is not a GPU specific issue that would be great.
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm getting some weird normal map issues...

ftriiVt.png

The mesh itself is mirrored horizontally (top and half parts), so it's really weird that the issue happens like that. Here's how it looks if I turn the "scale and bias" tick off, it makes the issue much easier to tell:

K9A6J8x.png

The mesh itself doesn't have any edges around those areas so it's quite confusing. I checked the normals on the mesh, but they're fine too. Any suggestions? If it's not a common issue, I can post more stuff to help identify the problem. This is the normal map applied to that area:

yBcOe6C.png
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    MM wrote: »
    if someone else can download the test files i posted and see if this is not a GPU specific issue that would be great.

Happens the same exact way on my set up.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Azkur, I am so excited to see that hair like that is now achievable !! Thank you so much for taking the time to setup that example.
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    is ther any information about vector displacement done from zbrush to marmoset 2.01 ? because i'm trying to test it out ^^;
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Nice character Azkur, can I see the wireframe of the hair?
  • darknessbear
    Woo! Two-sided! Yay!

Now just give an option to disable lights and I'll shuttup for a while... Thanks team!
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Now just give an option to disable lights and I'll shuttup for a while... Thanks team!

You should just be able to click on the little eye icon in the Scene tab and turn things off, unless I'm not understanding what you're talking about.
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    pior : thanks man i am glad you like it i try my best to get good results with hair since i hate laying out the cards so might has well get the bang for the buck :P in case you want to know i use the skin shader on it with the subdermal slider set to 1.5 i think but it depends heavily on specifics of the hair and the color, i also use the secondary anysotropic reflection so i can have more places where the gloss is showing.

Rikk The Gaijin: thanks :) sure but kinda scared since they are not that clean, there is some intersection here and there. i also show the difuse if someone wants to have a look, i hope that helps

wires.jpg
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, they are planes! They look very good, I thought they where actual hair geometry. Nice job!
    Are you using a normal map to light them up? The specular looks very good, you don't see the plane geometry, how did you setup the shader?
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Yay! The freezing bug has been fixed and I'm joining the party! Thanks guys! Toolbag 2 is AWESOME! You all did superb job!

Playing with some HP rendering. It's so cool!
    screenshot000.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Yay! Fixed the issues with the metallic pipe I had posted on my last page. It wasn't Marmoset's fault. For some reason some of my UVs were flipped and I didn't notice. I fixed it and now the pipe is looking right.

O4koiYb.jpg
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Rikk The Gaijin: i am using a normal map but whats getting that nice shading is really the anysotropic reflection i have both the main reflection and secondary reflection ad anysotropic with diferent anysotropic direction so i can get more spec in different places and the refraction shift is tweaked as well, i also have the hair set as a skin shader with the subdermal at 1.5 but it depends on the effect you are looking for, the shadows are also blurried so it doesnt look like planes.
  • darknessbear
    Swizzle wrote: »
    You should just be able to click on the little eye icon in the Scene tab and turn things off, unless I'm not understanding what you're talking about.

Oh sorry, meant turn off the Light-Icon. It's actually really bad having those icons not toggable... especially when you are going in and doing small lights to accent certain spots and then you scroll out the light covers the whole thing.
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Yay! Fixed the issues with the metallic pipe I had posted on my last page. It wasn't Marmoset's fault. For some reason some of my UVs were flipped and I didn't notice. I fixed it and now the pipe is looking right.

O4koiYb.jpg

How do you guys get such perfect looking renders? Can you show your material/texture sheets? I'm still a bit weary on how Marm2 does this whole gloss/spec thing.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey does anyone know if there's a way to mask off detail maps? I can't figure one out currently

EDIT i'm an idiot and got confused. it's right there...
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i'm trying to figure out what is going on with my scene. i'm getting a blue tint to my character as i turn up the subdermis scatter value. there is no subdermis map plugged in either. is this how it is supposed to function?

the images on the left have a subdermis value of 0, while the ones on the right have a value of 1, notice how the overall gray moves towards a greenish / blue. the thing is that this only occurs with a bright and saturated subdermis color like 255,0,0. if i drop it down to 180,0,0 the gray starts to come back in and look more normal. Bug?

tb2_skin_shader_02.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Playing around with an old highpoly

matebatb2.jpg
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur wrote: »
    Rikk The Gaijin: i am using a normal map but whats getting that nice shading is really the anysotropic reflection i have both the main reflection and secondary reflection ad anysotropic with diferent anysotropic direction so i can get more spec in different places and the refraction shift is tweaked as well, i also have the hair set as a skin shader with the subdermal at 1.5 but it depends on the effect you are looking for, the shadows are also blurried so it doesnt look like planes.

Thanks for the info, I also use the skin for thing other than skin, it has some nice properties.
    Cheers! :)
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    i'm trying to figure out what is going on with my scene. i'm getting a blue tint to my character as i turn up the subdermis scatter value. there is no subdermis map plugged in either. is this how it is supposed to function?

the images on the left have a subdermis value of 0, while the ones on the right have a value of 1, notice how the overall gray moves towards a greenish / blue. the thing is that this only occurs with a bright and saturated subdermis color like 255,0,0. if i drop it down to 180,0,0 the gray starts to come back in and look more normal. Bug?

tb2_skin_shader_02.jpg

This is due to energy conservation in the scattering. Basically, when you set your skin to scatter red light more than green and blue, the red light gets blurred out farther but also appears dimmer as a consequence. The red component of light energy is spread out evenly across a wider area where as not-red light, green + blue, is narrowly concentrated. The result is, at the fringes of light hitting a surface you'll see scattered, subdermis-color light, but in the middle you'll see more of white minus subdermis color.

This effect looks more alarming with a white or grey model. Once you put a peachy skin tone in the albedo, it will actually "absorb" and neutralize some of that cyan tint. It does make the subdermis map a little unruly to work with at first.

You'll notice this effect if you enable energy conservation with specular color as well. Specular color will tint the diffuse color response in an inverse-color fashion.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Playing around with an old highpoly

matebatb2.jpg

MATEBA !! Hell yeah :D

Thank you for the breakdown shot Az ! I cannot wait to try it out soon :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Messing with dDo for really the first time, works well with Marmoset 2.

Iv2PJqK.png
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if I repeat but :

Is ther any information about vector displacement done from zbrush to marmoset 2.01 ? Because i'm trying to test it out ^^;
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if I repeat but :

Is ther any information about vector displacement done from zbrush to marmoset 2.01 ? Because i'm trying to test it out ^^;

Seems like thats what you are after.
    20131211102822991.jpeg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    I was thinking that it could be a good idea to prompt the user to send a crash log after the crash occurs, like how autodesk does?

Perhaps i'm being lazy but I think it would be better to have the sky background toggle to reside within the scene hierarchy tab when you select the sky?
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Seems like thats what you are after.
    20131211102822991.jpeg

Hum I think I misexplain what I wanted to mean : I know where to load the vector displacement but what I mean is that I'm trying to set up from zbrush for to get a perfect vector displacement for marmoset.... Which mean I'm trying to get these perfect sphere stuff...
  • Miguelito
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for the Update.
    Have you guys thought of the turntable stuff?
  • veti
    Offline / Send Message
    veti polycounter lvl 5
    Materials test:
    mjJkONc.png
    AsfIYgq.png
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    woah that T set looks smashing!
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Testing it out, just like everyone else. I REALLY like the Similar Color feature, its a great way to get some interesting colors once you get to a value you like.

screenshot002.jpg
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Wow this tessellation is shitty :P :P
    ohgodwhy.png

JK! The tessellation is great!
    But, before you ask; I was making a simple scene with cracked dirt floor... Loaded diffuse map, normal and height map, and happened to switch to a capsule/cylinder mesh and make it glossy... and this happened lolol
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ WTF?! LOL!
  • dazzerfong
    Great program, just jumping in for the first minute tells me that a lot has changed from the 1.1. Just one thing: are all the UV seams automatically 'split'? I didn't notice seam problems from 1.10, and I didn't harden the UV seams before: is it normal to harden the seams? Forgive my lack of knowledge in this matter.