Home General Discussion

The Man of Steel, Zack Snyder's superman film

Replies

• Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You'll have to elaborate on this because i'm pretty confused.

Sorry, that reply was a bit rushed. I'm talking about reboots, tv-series and what not where they introduce Lex Luthor and Clark Kent for people not familiar with these characters.
    The all-star Superman movie has characters like Samson, Bar-el and Solaris just showing up, without longer introductions as fans are probably familiar with them.
    I'm not really sure what Mcejn meant by hardcore but I think All-star superman is a true fan-service movie, it's aimed towards people who are familiar with the Superman universe and characters. This as opposed to some high-budget hollywood movies where there isn't much room for introducing more than one or two new villains(or heroes), as they're aiming for a different audience; people not so familiar with the franchise.
  • skankerzero
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Sorry, that reply was a bit rushed. I'm talking about reboots, tv-series and what not where they introduce Lex Luthor and Clark Kent for people not familiar with these characters.
    The all-star Superman movie has characters like Samson, Bar-el and Solaris just showing up, without longer introductions as fans are probably familiar with them.
    I'm not really sure what Mcejn meant by hardcore but I think All-star superman is a true fan-service movie, it's aimed towards people who are familiar with the Superman universe and characters. This as opposed to some high-budget hollywood movies where there isn't much room for introducing more than one or two new villains(or heroes), as they're aiming for a different audience; people not so familiar with the franchise.

i took his statement as the hardcore Superman fans not liking All Star Superman. I think All Star Superman is totally aimed at the hardcore and alienates the 'casual fan' for the reasons you stated.

I love that awesome story though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What the shit... is it just me, or is that the music from Lord of the Rings?
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah the music's from LOTR. The Gates of Something can't remember. Saw the trailer at Batman premiere. Was friggin awesome. Probly only time the audience was completely silent.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    There's two versions, with different voice-overs
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zld8i2mRxb0"]Jor-El[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpvOT6HJCmg"]Jonathan Kent[/ame]

Like the look of it, doesn't look like Snyder's usual stuff, probably saving all that for the action scenes.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Please for the love of God, don't make this one of Snyders usual s l o w m o t i o n bonanzas. Watchmen was boring to watch in part because of this. While 300 it was painful.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    One thing that bothers me, something that we can all relate to; in any game when we reach god status, what happens? What do we do? I tend to find I lose a lack of interest in the world, the state of affairs in the world, the npc's become insignificant ants that I could scarcely care for or serve as light entertainment for my every whim. I disconnect from the world, become a recluse, all quests and ideals of my former character become dull trivial matters, a depressive shroud envelopes that persona, and I begin to question my existence in that world..

No opposition could really pose much of a threat, I mean I am thankful that they potentially saw that and felt the need to bring in other kryptonians. Although the only other foreseeable course I can predict for a Hollywood film version of superman would be a craptacular display of caught emotion where Louis or some relation is cause for him to make some decision between them and the world.

Altho the trailer does give me hope that they may avoid catastrophe but I do doubt anything seriously innovative to the classic superman story will arise in a time where profit safety dictates constant reboots.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Time for a movie about the Death of Superman methinks. Including a "true-er" version of Steel!

John_Henry_Irons_as_Steel.jpg

Black dude in massive armor and a big effin' hammer. Teenage Nerdgasm.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @cptSwing: So something more towards this?
    marvel-superhero-60-s-captain-america-ironman-thor-hulk-d3fa5.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from the hammer, uh no. ;-)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Time for a movie about the Death of Superman methinks. Including a "true-er" version of Steel!

Black dude in massive armor and a big effin' hammer. Teenage Nerdgasm.

We already had that movie, sadly:
    steel.jpg
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    something awesome from the jor-el trailer, they're using lines from all-star superman :D

L4pwQ.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku: Yeah, but they ripped him pretty much out of the Superman context though, didn't they? And I've never watched a movie with Shaq, all this post-modern ironic consumption be damned..
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    What's up with the two contrails coming off him in the flying sequence at the end??? I was talking with a friend whose dad is a pilot about this earlier, and he explained that it can be caused by rapid pressure changes (normally around the edges of the wings. //EDIT: wingtip vortices) and not just just an engine related thing like I had thought, but then why two individual contrails? What is jutting out of his streamlined flight posture to cause such a pressure change? His feet?

A huuuuge case of nitpicking, i know, but as soon as I saw that I said to myself, "does he have two jet engines stashed under his cape?" It just looks a little funny to me.

The sonic boom is a nice touch tho. I remember Kevin Smith's script for the since-canceled 90's superman flick with Nick Cage (the horror!) advocated for the depiction of a sonic boom upon take-off. I'm glad that some of those neat little ideas didn't die with that debacle of a production.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    One thing that bothers me, something that we can all relate to; in any game when we reach god status, what happens? What do we do? I tend to find I lose a lack of interest in the world, the state of affairs in the world, the npc's become insignificant ants that I could scarcely care for or serve as light entertainment for my every whim. I disconnect from the world, become a recluse, all quests and ideals of my former character become dull trivial matters, a depressive shroud envelopes that persona, and I begin to question my existence in that world..

No opposition could really pose much of a threat, I mean I am thankful that they potentially saw that and felt the need to bring in other kryptonians. Although the only other foreseeable course I can predict for a Hollywood film version of superman would be a craptacular display of caught emotion where Louis or some relation is cause for him to make some decision between them and the world.

Altho the trailer does give me hope that they may avoid catastrophe but I do doubt anything seriously innovative to the classic superman story will arise in a time where profit safety dictates constant reboots.

Exactly why Superman is one of my least favorite superheroes. He has no weaknesses(save for Kryptonite which is exceedingly rare obviously) and is uber powerful. The only way to make him interesting was to make him an orphan
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    He has quite a few but his biggest weakness's aren't really grounded in reality so it often doesn't come across well in the movies. Magic being one of the biggest ones and Red Sun Radiation.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    He has quite a few but his biggest weakness's aren't really grounded in reality so it often doesn't come across well in the movies. Magic being one of the biggest ones and Red Sun Radiation.

...neither are things that mortal humans can relate to easily.

The things that make Batman and Spider-Man so popular are that they are, for all intents and purposes, human. They may be extremely smart, extremely skilled, or have acquired some superhuman powers, but deep down they are still human with human psyches and flaws and fears and weaknesses. Especially Batman, who is basically the poster child for "dealing with childhood trauma the Wrong Way".
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Just saw those teaser trailers, well I'm excited : D
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Superman being overpowerful isn't something that bothers me, as long as the antagonist is equally or more powerful. I've seen countless films where the protagonist is mortal but comes across as immortal because of his/her/it's enemies' incompetence or lack of strength. I can't relate to any superheroes because they all have super powers, even Batman is super crafty and incredibly strong for a human being(even though those are not technically super powers). What I on the other hand need is some sort of strong opposition in order to get some excitement, not just some muscly tough guy destroying lots of enemies without even getting a scratch. Superman gets beaten up in at least two feature films, sometimes pretty badly.
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    ...neither are things that mortal humans can relate to easily.

The things that make Batman and Spider-Man so popular are that they are, for all intents and purposes, human. They may be extremely smart, extremely skilled, or have acquired some superhuman powers, but deep down they are still human with human psyches and flaws and fears and weaknesses. Especially Batman, who is basically the poster child for "dealing with childhood trauma the Wrong Way".

I completely agree. I feel like Superman isn't relatable cause he isn't human. Not because he doesn't have weakness though.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Superman does have relatable traits tho, he's lazy and selfish;

He does the bare minimum as a super hero, stopping petty crime such as bank robbers and extremely localised organised crime & singular villains. All through feats of strength which is incredibly easy for him.
    When he could use his powers to better the entire globe, rather than a single city's law enforcement.
    He could stop nuclear war, help create a sustainable energy source numerous ways, extreme orbital solar energy station, no more need for costly space ships to build orbital stations, there's also his heat ray eyes, he could super heat some diamonds he's created through hand compression of coal, that would then bounce those laser eye beams around and focus them, multiplying it to a crazy amount of energy usable in fusion. Or he could even go to the extreme in regards to fusion seeing as he can fly to the sun.

When does he ever do anything for more than a couple thousand people?
    What a dick lol.

Btw my scientific knowledge of the different types and methods of fusion may be alil off hahaha ;P

He'll definitely need other kryptonians about to make it interesting...
  • MatOaf
    Offline / Send Message
    MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
    Supes is actually my favourite comic book character; I'm looking forward to this film. Though why do they have to use Zod? I concur that he's one of the more "cooler" villains but not really one of the more interesting ones.

People state that they find it hard to emphasise or relate to Superman though the story of being an adopted child is a story that many can relate to and should be seen as one of the primary links to establish that connection between him and the audience.

There are some elements that I liked from the trailers it seems he's wayward and appears to be struggling to establish his identity or his place in the world which is cool.

Funnily enough the slow motion scenes may actually work here as Superman operates at high speeds so it would make sense to slow the pace of the action down so that the audience can absorb and comprehend what's going on in more clarity.

The Eradicator would have been a better villain as from a symbolic perspective it's Clark's heritage confronting him in a very direct way which could help the audience understand a bit more about the culture and society from which Superman was spawned from. I suppose Zod fulfills that agenda to some extent but I really would have preferred a fresh villian to be introduced.

In some respects this could represent that he’s rejecting his heritage to some extent for a more Earthling/human ideology, thus cementing him in some respects as a protector of Earth.

I hope this films really does well…..It’s been a long time since we had a good Superman film.

All Star Superman was good though Lex Luthor: man of steel is really good also. I felt it really elevatd the tension between the two powerhouses.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18

He does the bare minimum as a super hero, stopping petty crime such as bank robbers and extremely localised organised crime & singular villains. All through feats of strength which is incredibly easy for him.
    When he could use his powers to better the entire globe, rather than a single city's law enforcement.
    He could stop nuclear war, help create a sustainable energy source numerous ways, extreme orbital solar energy station, no more need for costly space ships to build orbital stations, there's also his heat ray eyes, he could super heat some diamonds he's created through hand compression of coal, that would then bounce those laser eye beams around and focus them, multiplying it to a crazy amount of energy usable in fusion. Or he could even go to the extreme in regards to fusion seeing as he can fly to the sun.

What a dick lol.

Btw my scientific knowledge of the different types and methods of fusion may be alil off hahaha ;P

Actually what you say is exactly why those who think superman is too powerful and cant relate miss. He knows he has all this power, he does everything he can NOT to abuse it. By doing things like the above, he would be dictating things. While someone who is human, like Lex Luthor shows what could potentially happen if a human had that much power.

A good movie on it is
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUu91JrpzA"]"Superman vs. The Elite" Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • ScudzAlmighty

What a dick lol.

SUPERMAN IV THE QUEST FOR PEACE.

he tried to do all that and look what happened.

-edit
    There's actually been a whole bunch of different comics where he's tried to make people stop fighting and it's almost always resulted in scared people getting pissed off at being told what to do. In the Russel Crowe trailer, and the Brando narration before that and a bunch of other places he's been taught to lead by example, to set an ideal for people to follow, not obey.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    :O superboner

http://youtu.be/KVu3gS7iJu4

edit: why wont this shit embed! ahhh copy paste failing me. UBB help only shows vimeo not youtube
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks awesome, even if the movie sucks, you can pretty much count on it being a visual feast thanks to zack snyder. looks promising though!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    it would be cool if he sticks to the beard...
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4"]Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

youtu.be links don't embed, moose :)
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    im such a noo.be
  • MatOaf
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the post's here are trash, the fact is Superman is relatable, people talk about Superman being uber powerful but there are tons of super hero's like the Hulk that are just as powerful. Yet they don't suffer in the same light.

The problem with Superman is that he's always been portrayed as a boy scout who's come from a more or less perfect up bringing under ma and pa kent this in part makes him boring as there is no tension between his foster family. The connections are there...He's an Orphan..he feels isolated...alienated....he may look like one of us but he isn't... In this film anyway there is a distinct lack of understanding in regards to his place in the world..

These are all traits that HUMANS go through and should be able to understand and relate with. .

Superman has character flaws but they are far outweighed by his positive ones which make him boring and flat. His most dangerous villain is Lex who is human. Though there are plenty of foes that could easily kill him. Like Brainaic, Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod, Gog, Superman Prime, Parallax there are villains that could pose a threat to him but time after time and especially in the movies they are rarely used.

I need to get back into writing so I can sort this character out, please don't see it as arrogance it's just that I've spent over a decade thinking about this character.
  • slipsius
    that new trailer looks absolutely fan freaking tastic.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I'm really excited that they are separating this franchise from the Reeves era movies (as good as 1 and 2 are).The last 15 years have shown that Superman in the hands of talented comic writers can be a very different, nuanced character, and I hope they can grasp that with this film.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Spiderman was orphaned as a child, and was directly responsible for the death of his uncle. He is driven by guilt.

Just so i know, what happened to spiderman's uncle ? i may have missed this when i was a kid and reading the comics
  • Mark Dygert
    I think it looks very promising. They might actually get supes right on the big screen. It has a "smallville" vibe to it that I like.
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Just so i know, what happened to spiderman's uncle ? i may have missed this when i was a kid and reading the comics
    Spiderman doesn't stop a criminal that ends up killing his Uncle?
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »

He had a chance to stop the guy who shot Uncle Ben beforehand, but he didn't because he was a dick
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking pretty great, but I kinda hope once we've got out grim, grounded Superman movie out of the way then DC can start having some fun with their characters. I don't think the Justice League movie is really going to work in a setting that strives so hard for emotional gravitas. Hell, Marvel's attempts stretch things at times and they're unashamedly cartoonish.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah! The trailer looks pretty sweet!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Excellent trailer:)
    The story is presented reminds me a lot of the Birthright story arc from back in 2000, sans Lex, especially all the craziness at the end.
    Very excited:)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    MatOaf wrote: »
    Superman is relatable, people talk about Superman being uber powerful but there are tons of super hero's like the Hulk that are just as powerful. Yet they don't suffer in the same light.

The problem with Superman is that he's always been portrayed as a boy scout who's come from a more or less perfect up bringing under ma and pa kent this in part makes him boring as there is no tension between his foster family. The connections are there...He's an Orphan..he feels isolated...alienated....he may look like one of us but he isn't... In this film anyway there is a distinct lack of understanding in regards to his place in the world..

These are all traits that HUMANS go through and should be able to understand and relate with. .

Superman has character flaws but they are far outweighed by his positive ones which make him boring and flat. His most dangerous villain is Lex who is human. Though there are plenty of foes that could easily kill him. Like Brainaic, Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod, Gog, Superman Prime, Parallax there are villains that could pose a threat to him but time after time and especially in the movies they are rarely used.

I need to get back into writing so I can sort this character out, please don't see it as arrogance it's just that I've spent over a decade thinking about this character.

Agreed. The Batman/Super comics are especially good at putting this across, and are very very good, so people should check em out.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Very excited. Zack Snyder is great. And Christopher Nolan? How can this be bad?

Only thing I'm worried about is what appears to be skyscrapers falling down and civilians running around (1:53) , and that cool spaceship thing (1:51). Just feels like I'm watching clips from Transformers 3 or the Avengers.
  • MatOaf
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the scene where they show pa Kent implying that maybe Clark should have let the boy in the bus die in order to protect his secret.

I feel this goes against the grain of what pa Kent would have traditionally said. Though this could be a more sensible and perhaps realistic approach to the Kent's as most of the time they have always been portrayed as this whiter than white family. It's refreshing if they want to show at least a few chinks in the armor. Obviously they shouldn't deviate from the main mythos too much but ultimately they are humans and they want to protect their son.

Think of what would happen to such a child in today's world he would be kidnapped and treated like a lab rat he/she would be experimented upon so that we could figure out how and why he/she is like that. Think of what someone like that could do to the balance of power in the world. America already a super power has just gotten that much stronger with one of the most powerful beings on the planet living on their doorstep.

Think of the fear that would strike into people's minds.

I would really like them to tackle the political upheaval a being like Superman would cause around the world and perhaps the great pains he may have to go to in order to show the world he's not an American Citizen but a World Citizen.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I don't think Zack Snyder knows how to rush things ;)
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think Zack Snyder knows how to rush things ;)

haha, touche!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Only thing I'm worried about is what appears to be skyscrapers falling down and civilians running around (1:53) , and that cool spaceship thing (1:51). Just feels like I'm watching clips from Transformers 3 or the Avengers.
    I, for one, am relieved to see things like that. It might be an indication that this film may actually feature some action sequences, as opposed to some previous superman movies which were a lot of standing around and lifting heavy things. Plus, Snyder is very talented when it comes to shooting action, no way it would turn into a mess like the Transformers.

MatOaf:
    Yeah, that line by Pa Kent struck me as out-of-character as well. I doubt they would change a character's morals so much though, I'm sure the scene has just been edited to add drama to the trailer, but probably isn't so out of character in the film.

Also.. wow I forgot I even made this thread haha. Over a year and still seeing activity.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Totally agree with Matoaf

I love the Pa Kent line. There is so much hesitation in the line it's as if it is killing him to say it. You really feel as if he wants his son to do the right thing but doing that could ultimately backfire and make him a lab rat or something else. People might not be able to accept what Clark is. It's the difference in wanting your son to do the right thing and wanting to keep him safe and secure.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I think I might have read the comic which the movie is relating on, at least it got the spaceships. It was called Superman - Earth One, and was all about him coming to earth, growing up and then (apparently in this setting) the people who destroyed his home world came looking for him. Not going to say more, but I think it might match the trailer.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY"]Man of Steel - Official Trailer 3 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    I like him more with a beard, than clean shaved. :D